Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Playboy Club Chooses Voice Champ Javier Colon to Channel Ray Charles

NBC’s The Playboy Club (premiering Monday at 10/9c) continues to channel its inner American Dreams by casting real-life performers as the mega-musicians of yesteryear. The latest to take part in the singing ’60s: The Voice champ Javier Colon.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Colon will appear in the sixth episode of the series’ maiden season as legendary blues singer Ray Charles. The reality show champ is set to perform the Charles classic, “Let the Good Times Roll,” during his guest spot.

Exclusive: Smallville‘s Cassidy Freeman to Recur on The Playboy Club

Also time-traveling for the series this fall is songstress Colbie Caillat, who as previously reported will portray “It’s My Party” crooner Lesley Gore, and singer/songwriter Rafael Saadiq, making like R&B musician Sam Cooke (“Twisting the Night Away”).

Comments (8)

• I LOVE this!

Comment by Jessie – September 15, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It seems to me that Javier would be much more convincing if he were portraying Nat King Cole instead of Ray Charles.

Comment by BeachBum – September 15, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The NBC series from a few years back, “American Dreams”.. about Dick Clark’s American Bandstand days in Philly, used to do the same thing. I loved it.

Comment by Louis – September 15, 2011 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVED when American Dreams did this – it was so great, glad this show will be doing the same :)

Comment by Paige – September 15, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait good luck :^)

Comment by rhonda – September 16, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s like living in the past all over again thanks for doing that again

Comment by Jo – September 16, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really miss American Dreams and loved how that show was done. I’m so sad that I’m hearing about this show, this morning, after its premier last night. I hope I can find it on the Internet, so I can see it.

I hear it got bad ratings, so like American Dreams, it probably won’t be around long. Too bad. Networks are too cautious these days and don’t give shows time to find an audience.

Comment by Katy – September 21, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buddy of mine from college. So happy to watch his success. Go Jav!

Comment by Ed – September 22, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post