Breaking: USA Renews Covert Affairs, Royal Pains and Necessary Roughness

USA Network has renewed a trio of series: Covert Affairs, Royal Pains and newbie Necessary Roughness.

Exclusive: JoAnna Garcia Scrubs In As Mysterious Royal Pains Doc

The cabler has ordered 16 additional episodes of each show. Veterans Covert Affairs and Royal Pains will head into their third and fourth seasons, respectively, while Roughness will return for a sophomore run.

They join the previously renewed White Collar, Suits and Burn Notice. In Plain Sight will also be back for a fifth and final season.

USA Network Renews Suits, Sets End Date for In Plain Sight

“USA’s original programming blew through all expectations this summer. We had an unprecedented number of original series on our air — and every single one of them was great,” USA Co-Presidents Chris McCumber and Jeff Wachtel said in a statement. “It’s a rare and wonderful thing to announce the pick-up of our entire summer of programming.”

The final six episodes of Covert Affairs‘ second season air beginning Nov. 1 at 10/9c. Royal Pains will finish out its third season later this winter.

1. Mitu says:

3/3 = awesome!

2. Mrk2p says:

YAY FOR NECESSARY ROUGHNESS WE FINALLY GET TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO t.K. AWSOME FINALE BTW!!!

• DL says:

I’m glad Mehcad Brooks has finally found a lasting gig. I really enjoy watching him.

• jj says:

Necessary Roughness is my least favorite of the USA shows. I have to ffwd through it a lot of times. Why? The neurosis of the week. It’s one thing to showcase an ongoing relationship with a patient. But having a new patient each week? It oversimplifies their problems as if identifying the problem is the hardest part of having a psychiatric problem. But each of these people have problems that anyone who has taken a 100 level psych class could diagnose. And every week it’s the same thing: they are angry about coming to therapy and don’t tell the doctor basic big events that have happened in their lives and the doc is stumped. then someone else says something to her that causes her to have an “aha!” moment (that comes with a closeup and an arched eyebrow) that unlocks the key to how to treat the patient. Yawn. It happens every week. And don’t get me started on her obnoxious unlikeable spoiled brat kids!! That she keeps apologizing to even though they have absolutely no discipline. The daughter whines all the time and the son thinks he’s smarter than she is (which since she puts up with this crap, maybe he IS) even though he keeps doing dumb things that get him in trouble with thieves and the police. And I’m supposed to have empathy for these almost adults (they’re not little kids, these are high schoolers) just because “waah” their parents got divorced. big whoop. that’s pretty commonplace nowadays. and the fact that they blame the mom when the dad cheated? i’m getting off my soapbox now, but i wanted to like this show. I like aspects of the show. But… sigh.

• brutus says:

I actually agree with you 100% but the show is still great to me. She does have Tk as her ongoing patient. I do know what you mean where its the exact same situation every time. It is a little out of control where like 4 of 5 weeks or maybe it was 5 weeks in a row she had someone say something and yep she found the answer. They do need to do something with that. Then she cures them and they never come back? They have 2 or 3 sessions and they are cured? I still love the show. The kids are annoying sometimes, but they are not unbearable.

• jess says:

Have to say I don’t entirely disagree with either of you about the format of the show, it’s a little contrived and hopefully the writers will find a new approach for the second season. I disagree that the case of the week trivializes the issues these characters are going through. I find the cases interesting, and I haven’t ever felt that the patients were “cured” at the end; rather the end of each episode is merely the beginning of their “journey” if you will. I feel the writers have done a good job emphasizing that identifying the underlying issues are only the first step to recovering and/or coping with these problems. I feel as if the character’s story continues even if we don’t get to see it every week.

As for the kids…speaking as a now grown child of divorced parents…the reactions may be heightened for entertainment’s sake…but I don’t think the resentment, anger, and hurt that the kids have demonstrated are far off. Not saying it isn’t annoying, but it is reality. As outsiders it’s easy to say they aren’t being fair in blaming the mom. But I can attest that logic and reason don’t enter into the equation when you feel like your world’s been ripped apart. Just because more than half of all marriages end in divorce these days, doesn’t mean it’s any less painful for everyone involved.

• Xanax says:

@Jess – finally, the third post is the charm. I completely agree with you. I felt JJ & Brutus’ posts were just a little too harsh. The only part of the show I didn’t like was Andrea Anders’ character (and I loved her in Better off Ted). I just didn’t feel any chemistry between her and Matt.

Just an aside, while watching the finale of Rescue Me, I kept comparing Callie Thorn’s character Sheila with Dani Santino.

• Snsetblaze says:

Have to agree with you Xanax and Jess. I generally enjoy the show. Though the actor is nice to look at, I personally find TK a little annoying at times (yes, I know he’s like a lot of professional athletes.) But I love Callie Thorne – she’s my girl crush I guess. And Mark Blucas and the guy who plays Nico. The coach is a bit of a cliche and weak link though.

• mike says:

u r a stupid if u don t like it just shutup and turn your damn tv

3. Marijke says:

Great news!!

4. TJ says:

What about Suits, Pysch and Burn Notice?

• ESLKid75 says:

Suits was already renewed.
      Psych is started in October, so we’ll see if it’s renewed after its trial against the big networks…
      Pretty sure Burn Notice is renewed as well already.

• Cameron says:

Pysch hasn’t even started its next season next (October!!!!), and I think Suits was already renewed. Not sure about Burn Notice, but I’ve barely watched this season, I’ve just totally lost interest in the show. Kinda getting the same way with Royal Pains too.

5. Regina says:

Am delighted that Royal Pains will be around for another while, so many things I like get cancelled :(

• jj says:

Royal Pains is such a blah show. I watch it just to have something to watch, but it’s so not must see (for me). It’s ALMOST good, but the plots just miss and the characters aren’t very likeable. I would like Hank but I get po-ed that he puts up with so much of Evan’s crap. And if Evan would grow up, maybe I wouldn’t hate him so much. But he’s such a one step fwd, two step back character. Paige’s character was stupid about hiding the fact that her mom was depressed from Hank. Just a dumb, dumb storyline. And I want to like Divya, but then they manage to make her an idiot too. It could be a much better show…

• Danielle H. says:

Really? Evan has grown incredibly since the show’s beginning, and it’s his flaws that make him endearing. The characters are all actually really likeable, which is why I think it works.
        I do slightly agree that Divya went down hill this season, but it’s only half way through and she will have time to pick herself back up.

It’s not an action show, so it’s never going to b super exciting. But it’s a really decent, fun show that’s easy to watch.

• Lana says:

Love Royal Pains and I agree that Evan has been growing up, at first he was a pain but now he is endearing and I love Paige and him. I also love Divya and I really feel for her being cast out by her dad and then Raj’s parents expecting her to repay them for the wedding. I do think she should tell Hank everything but it is fun to see her trying to keep the second job from everyone and dealing with that sexy doctor. I also love Burn Notice and can’t believe all the trouble they get into, it is alot of fun. Yep USA is one of my favorite channels.

6. glantern926 says:

The announcements for new seasons of Suits and White Collar were unvelied last month.

7. sam says:

PSYCH? PSYCH?? PSYCH?????? (I know, I know, the season hasn’t started yet buuuuut I would prefer that they renew it now just so that I can rest easy. I don’t know what I’ll do if that show doesn’t see a seventh season!)

8. Ben says:

Renewal announcements for my favourite shows that are still in their early years are always my favourite. I expected Covert Affairs to get a third season, but it was still a nice little ray of sunshine into my day. Yay!

9. Courtney says:

So glad to hear this after last nights season finale of necessary roughness!

10. Jared says:

Best news of the day! Covert Affairs is such a great show and Necessary Roughness had a fabulous freshman run. I’m still upset about the news of the ending of In Plain Sight, but I’ll be ok.

11. Kim says:

What about “Fairly Legal”? I know it wasn’t on during the summer, but did it get renewed when it was on? I’m just curious. It was adorable.

12. steve says:

yay for all three and @kim fairly legal was already renewed

13. Brooke says:

“We had an unprecedented number of original series on our air — and every single one of them was great”

Yes they were! I’m so glad about all these renewals, but especially Necessary Roughness. I almost didn’t watch Suits and NR because I figured I had enough shows, but NR ended up being one of my favorites on the channel.

14. Julie says:

Oh wow! I am SO excited for this! I absolutely LOVE USA programming! Covert Affairs is amazing and I love where they’ve taken the characters! NEcessary Roughness was one of those I watched on a whim and was hooked! So awesome!!!! :)

15. Fan says:

Suits, Psych, Royal Pains, White Collar > Necessary Roughness, Covert Affairs, In Plain Sight, etc.

I’m crazy about Suits! Love that show sooo much. I think it’s even better than Royal Pains. I saw the pilot of Necessary Roughness and haven’t seen an episode since. That show is boring and it sucks!

I don’t hate Burn Notice, but I don’t love it either.

16. amy says:

glad to hear! there’s something utterly delightful about USA network’s programming. all their shows are like a breath of fresh air!

17. Rachel says:

LOVE Necessary Roughness!!! So glad it was finally renewed, I was searching for news last night after the finale! (which was awesome by the way) I can’t wait to see what happens next season!!!

18. Guy says:

Awesome news. Covert Affairs is so good. Love that show. The others are great too. Good work USA.

19. Laugh says:

In Plain Sight is getting the shaft and I’m soooo sad! It’s got whip-smart writing and a TON of potential with the father storyline that has been eluded to but not followed up on. Why end it? This is ridiculous! Especially after this season getting the unwanted twist of a new baby. I was looking forward to more great chemistry between Mary and Marshall, but with the pregnancy, it was like they intentionally kept them out of any scenes together. Disappointing season and I’m really disappointed in the network pulling the plug when they are just getting started! They don’t have THAT many shows, so why do they need to start cancelling their original programming? Why choose to cancel when they are 99% all great! USA is my go-to network in the summer!

20. David says:

Covert Affairs! YES!

21. Matt says:

Hate Burn Notice? It is one of the best shows on television. The acting is great and the action scenes never disappoint.

22. Tna says:

I was and still am upset that they canceled In Plain Sight. If they for some reason end up canceling Psych then I am thru with the network for good.

23. Rebecca says:

I love, love, love Necessary Roughness. I think Dani is adorable and I love both of her possible love interests – Matt and Nico. But I have loved Marc Blucas since Buffy. I was one of the minority who really liked Riley, so I am happy to see him back on a quality show. Can’t wait for next season, please let TK be okay….hahahaha.

24. bkwrm says:

While I agree that Dani’s way of figuring out her case of the week is lame and annoying, you are wrong about those patient’s being cured in one episode. Dani is always saying to them something to them to the affect of “we need to continue working together.” It’s just that TK is the only recurring patient the show focuses on. The other patients are just being seen off screen. There is no way Dani could afford to have one returning patient.

• Sue says:

It would be great idea to have a few more of TK’s teammates become regulars. I always wondered whys he was at the stadium so much. Perhaps they should give her an office so that she doesn’t have people appearing at her home 24 hours a day?

25. Jen says:

I have no idea why they are ending In Plain Sight. I would have loved to see Mary try to handle a baby, her job and her family. So many good stories to tell. Shame on you USA!

26. Sue says:

You know, I think I enjoyed the shows overall this summer more than the fall/spring shows last year. I watched all three USA shows that were just renewed plus Burn Notice. I also love The Killing (which hit part of the summer), The Closer, Breaking Bad, Leverage, Rizzoli and Isles, Warehouse 13, Eureka, Dr. Who, Weeds and True Blood (though I haven’t seen most yet of the latter two) and am lukewarm on Alphas. Am I forgetting anything? Never got around to White Collar. As an attorney myself, I sort of object to the premise of Suits – one attorney knowing allowing another to practice without a license – so I don’t watch it.

27. Sue says:

Oh yeah – and Rescue Me and Hot in Cleveland (though the other comedies that have followed it were terrible).

28. Babs says:

I LOVE Royal Pains and can hardly wait for its return. I love the actor that plays Hank.

Love Paige and Divya. They are great. Well cast.

Thanks for such a great show.

Is there a date set for its return? All I saw was returning in winter.

29. hj says:

well you dont have to watch the show.

30. garrymoore says:

hi to all http://www.tvline.comers this is my frst post and thought i would say hi –
    thanks speak soon