Exclusive

Exclusive: Bones Plotting Bonus 'Mini-Season' to Possibly Air Next Summer

Bones‘ unorthodox approach to its seventh season just got even… unorthodoxier.

You’ll recall that Emily Deschanel’s pregnancy already forced the show to scale back its number of episodes to 13, six this fall (beginning Nov. 3) and seven in the spring, with its spinoff, The Finder, bridging the gap in the winter. Well, now comes word that Fox has ordered four additional episodes, possibly to air over the summer or be carried to Season 8 (assuming there is a Season 8).

Executive producer Stephen Nathan acknowledges that “it’s a very odd situation we’re in,” adding that Fox “has scheduled us for 13 episodes, but they want as many episodes as we can produce.”

Whatever happens, the four bonus hours will likely air apart from the original 13. “We’re constructing the season so that the finale is Episode 13,” Nathan says. “And then there will ultimately be four more episodes that we can play with. [Fox] could run them on a different night, they could run them in the summer, or they could hold them for fall.”

Due to the uncertainty surrounding the four extras, they will be written as standalones. “Because the show is centrally episodic, and we know what’s happening with Booth and Brennan, we can do four great episodes that are almost like a mini-season,” Nathan explains. “So we can do a four-episode mini season after the 13-episode regular season.”

“It’s weird, and it’s a challenge,” he concludes. “But we’ll do it.”

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop

1. Sandy Holl says:

I believe that Bones’ is a very strong show with many followers. Fox would be crazy to end it this season.It may be shorter, but fox realizes that more is needed. I would like to see the 4 extra shows intertwined with the 7 spring shows if possible or to continue it after the 7 episodes. I am just happy that there are going to be more episodes. I’ll take all that I can get. I just LOVE…… this show!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. mitzir says:

I have loved this series and look forward to the upcoming season. I also really enjoyed the pilot of The Finder and would love to see that turn in to a regular show.

3. Sammi says:

Omg I hope there is a season 8 like if they don’t make anymore after this I will be so upset but I bet they will make more seasons hopefully I live this show I am obsessed with it expessially what happened at the end of last season omg what is going to happen???!!!!!

4. Bob Swart says:

It looks like there won’t be a season 8, and I wonder how many episodes of season 7 were filmed already, since at least David Boreanaz is now tweeting about the show being over. Forever. See http://twitter.com/#!/David_Boreanaz

5. l.d. says:

David was just teasing – easily facilitated by the Bones-fandom-on-Twitter itself: gullible, mostly uninformed, prone to overreact, speculate, antagonize, scream, whine and “fanic” over anything and everything.
    He was just tantalizing people’s obsessive need for “inside spoilers”, and Hart Hanson and Stephen Nathan joined him in the fun (DB tweeted he will miss Booth’s socks – Nathan replied he would wear them from now on :-) ) Even Greg Yatanes, “House”‘s producer, joined the made-up “time to say goodbye” and “let them decode”. Funny sneaky guys!
    In the end TJ Thyne spoiled all their fun by tweeting what every informed fan could know just by reading TV Line, TV Guide, EW. Stuff that was printed all summer long and this fall: “Bones” shot 6 episodes; shut down production and went on a break for 4 months (due to ED’s maternity leave); they will come back next year and the respective episodes will air in the spring, april-may.
    All people have to do is, you know, read the information television journalists provide us…

6. Diane says:

I just hope these are extra episodes like a season 7.5. If they do renew for a season 8 then I want a full season 8. Though I am excited that they are giving us bonus episodes, I think I would like them during the summer. They do re-runs over the summer anyways. They might as well just give us a few more new episodes instead of us having to watch ones we have already seen from season 7. (I do love re-runs though!)I’m sure they’ll be great wherever they put them.
    I know some people blame Emily’s pregnancy on the short Bones season, but I’m guessing HH’s new show “The Finder” probably has a little bit to do with the shorter season (I could be wrong). Hey though, at least if “The Finder” sucks, Fox is gonna make it up to us by giving us 4 bonus episodes of Bones.

7. Kathy says:

“…(assuming there is a season 8)…” I agree.

After years smoking attraction, the end of season six was like kissing a cousin. I guess we’ll see if seven can live up to the hype.

8. Kathi Tomlin says:

All you who love the show Bones, don’t forget Kathy Reichs books as well. They are written with Tempe as older with a daughter in college & an ex-husband (& no Booth). I’ve been reading her forever and love the books. I find it interesting that the TV show stays pretty true to the backstory of Tempe’s life but shows a younger time in her life. Even though they are different, I love both.

9. hermionetwin22 says:

I love Bones and Mentalist. Did a whole summer of reruns all the way from the beginning at season 1 on Bones. If you like that type of show, check out Castle. Castle defiantly has a lot of humor in it, but has a nice background story.

10. Pretzer says:

Bones 24/7 would be heaven, that is why I bought all of the season dvds, I watch them any time I get to!

11. smartee says:

The last show was so bad I turned it off. I am a huge fan too. Bones was horrible how she explained everything booth did. PuhleeEzee. I agree they rushed the two of them getting together robbing us of the sweet satisfaction of waiting so long. Now it just seems so unbelievable. Trust me, I loved this show and all the characters. Watched many re runs. Circling the drain. I hope it was just one weak show.

12. AMW says:

I started watching bone this year I’ve rented prior episodes & w/n 2 wks was totally n love. Bones character is the best, she plays it w/ charm &humor it’s is one of the best shows I could watch it everyday. Yes it would be a great idea to see the reaction of their co-workers on Bones pregnancy

13. michael says:

love bones best show ever, that would be awesome if they had a new episode of bones everyday!! season 7 is awesome and im hoping there will be a season 8, will be VERY dissapointed is there isnt!!!

14. jessica says:

I love this show and am hoping it lasts forever:)

15. Carol says:

Where are the missing episodes from the time Bones told Seeley that she was pregnant with his baby. The next episode I saw she looked like she was 7-8 months pregnant. There’s got to be more episodes in between.

16. Daleen says:

I love Bones when can we see what happens with Booth and Bones that are apart now?

17. Anonymous says:

If they ever cancel bones I will quit watching tv all together.

18. was famed for his powerful kicking and brilliant field strategy.
    The Emmy Nominations for 2012 are as follows, along with predicted wins.
    I was crying and not just a tear rolling down the check.