Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Bones Plotting Bonus 'Mini-Season' to Possibly Air Next Summer

Bones‘ unorthodox approach to its seventh season just got even… unorthodoxier.

You’ll recall that Emily Deschanel’s pregnancy already forced the show to scale back its number of episodes to 13, six this fall (beginning Nov. 3) and seven in the spring, with its spinoff, The Finder, bridging the gap in the winter. Well, now comes word that Fox has ordered four additional episodes, possibly to air over the summer or be carried to Season 8 (assuming there is a Season 8).

Executive producer Stephen Nathan acknowledges that “it’s a very odd situation we’re in,” adding that Fox “has scheduled us for 13 episodes, but they want as many episodes as we can produce.”

Whatever happens, the four bonus hours will likely air apart from the original 13. “We’re constructing the season so that the finale is Episode 13,” Nathan says. “And then there will ultimately be four more episodes that we can play with. [Fox] could run them on a different night, they could run them in the summer, or they could hold them for fall.”

Due to the uncertainty surrounding the four extras, they will be written as standalones. “Because the show is centrally episodic, and we know what’s happening with Booth and Brennan, we can do four great episodes that are almost like a mini-season,” Nathan explains. “So we can do a four-episode mini season after the 13-episode regular season.”

“It’s weird, and it’s a challenge,” he concludes. “But we’ll do it.”

Tags: ,

Comments (224)

• As long as Emily Deschanel and her baby are healthy and the show doesnt put her at risk I am all for it! The more the better for us! This is by far the best show on TV after they messed up House! I love the show!

Comment by Chrystal – September 16, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should continue BONES like a “soap”, cuz then it can go on FOREVER!!….LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! BONES and if they need “episode” advice open that up for suggestions form the audiance/public, I can think of a few great story lines!!

Comment by carol – September 16, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Bones now to make everything perfect bring ZACK back!!! He has already said he didn’t do it Sweets know this and Brennan thinks so too. So please bring him back!!!!

Comment by Sue – September 16, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do see how one could think that Bones is “jumping-the-shark” but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and am looking forward to an amazing season. I just hope this baby isn’t their un-doing!

Comment by tissitu – September 16, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I completely agree and there better be a season 8 ,9,10, etc…

Comment by Mary – September 16, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am posting this to show my support for BONES and my hopes tht the show will get an 8th season. Like someone else said that all depends on how the 7th season ends. MORE BONES!

Comment by blain – September 16, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree! There will never be enough of ‘Bones’! I look forward to every single episode…sometimes I watch them 2 or 3 times each episode. I own every season that’s out too!

Comment by Linda S – September 16, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the dvds come with the 4 additional eps included

Comment by Hermes – September 16, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones 365 days a year. Would make tv so much more worth watching. I absolutely hate waiting so long to see Bones again.

Comment by Rhonda – September 16, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Bones,if they have to work around Emily’s pregnancy, so be it. They have lives like the rest of us. I will take anything that I can get. I have watched Bones since the beginning and I have loved the show. I love the fact that is still on television. So if we have to have a different type of season then so be it. I just hope that it continues for as long as possible. Congratulations to Emily.

Comment by Robin – September 16, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoy this show and wish it would go on forever

Comment by Nancy – September 16, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone remember a DRACULA series that aired on NBC in 1979 @ primetime. It only lasted a few weeks. It was not bloody. It made a point of the importance of living life knowing that there is a time limit.

Comment by Nancy – September 16, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Bones, can’t imagine they would cancel it without a serious drop in ratings, and with all the hype about “baby bones” i would imagine people who have never watched before will tune in, as to 4 extra episodes, it would be interesting for fox to run those in summer when fewer people regularly tune in and see what kind of ratings they get.

Comment by Elaine – September 16, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, love the idea of four more episodes…totally HATING the way they are running the 13 they have now…really??? We’re waiting extra long to get the season started…we only get 13 episodes this season, (which I totally understand concerning Emily) and we are only going to get the first 6…then the winter w/ ‘The Finder’ (ya us…sarcastically) and not get the other 7 episodes of Bones until the spring???? If I wasn’t such a devoted Bones fan…I’d throw in the blanket on the show. Really killed my excitement to get season 7 started. Thanks.

Comment by Amy – September 16, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love that show, i love the characters….i hope there will be more episodes of bones. i am sure that a lot of “bones” fanatics will be saddened if it goes off air for good. so pleaseee…don’t let it happen!!

Comment by abel quinones – September 16, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a huge Bones fan, but some of these posts are just a bit too passionate even for this fan. I think the show has lost a bit of its edge and that the Bones/Booth pregnancy arc likely
    represent the proverbial “jump the shark” moment for the show. Like Moonlighting so many years ago, there’s a point where the tension of unrequited love and passion starts to wear thin, so then the producers consummate the lovers and the things are never the same.

Comment by raftman – September 16, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really just want as much as can get. I have all episodes DVR’d but missed a great deal of last season and haven’t really caught up.

Comment by Jenn – September 16, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t get enough of this show!!! I watch it literally everyday and i’ve even taught my 3yr old niece to love Bones too!! Fan since the beginning and a Fan for Life!

Comment by Catrena – September 16, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BONES IS MY FAVORITE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN’T WAIT FOR BABY BRENNAN-BOOTH!!!! I HAVE GOT MY BBF INTO WATCHING BONES. I THINK THAT 3 YEARS OLS IS TO YOUNG TO BE WATCHING BONES. I THINK THAT BONES IS A TV SHOW THAT IS FINE FOR AGES 12 AND UP.

Comment by brennan206 – September 16, 2011 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love bones and can’t wait until the new season starts and four extra shows would be awesome.

Comment by carol – September 16, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Bones, no matter what form the episodes air. It’s always so fun and can’t wait to see what happens when Baby Bones comes along!!

Comment by Vicki S – September 16, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see a season 8. YES PLAESE!

Comment by ana – September 16, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am dancing and singing from happiness :D “bones”is my ultimate favorite show and four episode…plus this season ahhh…. I am in heaven :)
    *sorry if there is misspelling ;)

Comment by Aija – September 16, 2011 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Love Bones and I’m happy about the fact they finally are puting Bones and Sely together.. (even though i wish it was me and Sely(David B)but Bones can have him on the show.. lol.. Can’t wait for the new season to start I was just talking to my mom about last season and we figured that Emily was preant for real and that caused the ending in the show.. I wonder how bones is going to fill about being pregant she was against it in some of the other shows but maybe know do to the fact that she’s coming to grips with her feelings for sely she’s open to it and happy.. Love the whole cast and again can’t wait unitl Nov!! :) so happy..

Comment by Lisa Hafemann – September 16, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with most on here… bones is the greatest show on tv and the more of it the better! As for the 4 extra episodes, the format should definitely be a mini series. I’m thinkin a 4 part huge case. It would be something different and would keep everyone hanging on the edge of their seats.

Comment by Derick – September 16, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally loveeeeeee the Bones’ show and am really excited that they decided th add 4 more episodes. I hope they do it after episode 13 in the spring/summer as a continuation of season seven.I can’t wait till the season begins!!!!!!!!

Comment by Sandra Holl – September 16, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Kate: In my opinion we as fans R only getting 6 episodes of 13 of BONES. That’s what Fox contracted 4& then 7 of a pilot show Nathan wants Fox 2 pick up. That’s why the demand 4 more episodes of BONES. AS A FAN I FEEL CHEATED.
    New shows have their own place & time. Hence the spinning down the drain.
    Nathan has gone 2 far 2 get Finder out in2 the public viewer.
    Not Fail—FAILING—

Comment by wendy – September 16, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say, “Give us Bones in any possible way and, do it soon!!!” Enough with this waiting for four + months for new seasons. It’s killing me!!!

Comment by Katherine – September 16, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im so happy cuz its on my birthday and i love this show its the best.

Comment by Terry – September 16, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahhh!!!! This is wonderful news!!! 13 eps is no where near enough B & B for my liking. Yay for 4 more eps! November can’t come fast enough for me.

Comment by Lauren – September 16, 2011 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • read all the posts. i gotta say i am one of those optimistic fans who just wants to enjoy having more Bones episodes in anyway they can and hope for more more and more! good thing too that there are a lot more positive posts than negative ones hehehe just enjoy the show guys!

Comment by Kris G – September 16, 2011 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely LOVE Bones and would take any extra episodes they give;) Super excited for the new series to start!!!!

Comment by amyken07 – September 16, 2011 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s awesome! Congrats!

Comment by Fan807 – September 16, 2011 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE!!! This show watch every week then by the DVD’s to watch it again. One of the best on tv in a long, long, time.

Comment by izzyfancy – September 17, 2011 02:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it!!!

Comment by Lily – September 17, 2011 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let me just put this out that in my opinion, Bones is one show that is easy to love and hard to let go. It’s an extremely clever show, it’s witty, and at the same time you learn a lot whether it may be about science or how someones past can make a difference on how they are in the future. I’m in love with the characters and I can’t get enough of the science, and the science is real. And I don’t believe for a second that the ratings are going downhill anytime soon. I myself is a new fan of Bones. Nearly an obsessed fan of the show if I may add. So are my friends and my friends friends. Plus, my whole extended family as well LOL. More Bones + high ratings = Happy Fox.

Comment by MD – September 17, 2011 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It sounds like most of the people who are still fan fanatics are those who are big B & B fans. I guess Hart Hanson knew that if he put them together fans would be excited no matter how it was done. I have lost my enthusiasm for them as a couple after season 6. I still enjoy some parts of the show. The episode about the girl who was mute was my favorite of the season and it was not about their relationship. Therefore, I would be happy if these episodes were like that. The writing was wonderful for this episode and did not
    resort to making Brennan the comic relief. I hope they can find a better balance this season.

Comment by El – September 17, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will never get enough of Bones. When they put something else in there place I get totally upset and I pop in a DVD I just can not get enough of Bones. Keep it coming.

Comment by Catherine – September 17, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love bones and the more you can run all the better! I love that it appears they may actually get to have a relationship. Booth and Bones! Love it!

Comment by jennifer – September 17, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amo esta serie

Comment by leticia – September 17, 2011 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • South Africa digs bones big time,one to all da fans.

Comment by Mogamat Toriq – September 17, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • South Africa digs bones big time,one luv to all da fans.

Comment by Mogamat Toriq – September 17, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had not seen Bones when it was shown on it’s regular TV schedule.
    I was watching another show I liked. I rented Bones at Blockbusters
    to give it a look. I was hooked before the first disk was over.
    I now own all the seasons on DVD and it is my favorite show in all the
    world. I have never liked a show so much and for so many reasons.
    Please, Fox, continue it through many more seasons. I can’t imagine
    the spinoff, The Finder, being better. I have a feeling it is going to tank. It will not have the magic that Bones does. The show with
    the Finder as guest was my least favorite of the whole series.
    And as for David’s private life, I could care less. I will not judge.

Comment by Joe – September 17, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Our family loves bones but it has gone downhill. Angela’s pregnancy saved season 6
    Agree. I think their will be no season 8. Will see how the relationship with booth and bones goes, they blew it with Hanna.
    Sometimes it appears the writers are brain dead. Great cast but series has been shaky during season 6

Comment by Mac mcintire – September 17, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am hoping we get to see how they tell the “gang” about it, and their reaction to the news

Comment by Lutheria – September 17, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should just have a channel that is strictly dedicated to BONES 24/7 – and I would have my DVR set to record everything on it!!! :-)

Comment by Heidi – September 17, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t have cable, Direct Tv or dish so why did you take all the good shows from us and put garbage on? We want bones and crossing Jordon back on reguler tv.

Comment by johnniekuhn – September 17, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seriously can’t wait! I’m bummed we have to wait longer than normal for it, but four extra episodes is definitely greatness! I can’t wait for it! :] Best show ever!

Comment by Nad – September 18, 2011 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones is awesome…. Im stoked she is pregnant! Im sure it won’t ruin the show..I wish the season wasn’t over though i want more!!!

Comment by Sima – September 18, 2011 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree, I could watch Bones every day all year, PLEASE put out as much as you can, with consideration being given to “mommy” we don’t want to put any undue stress on her…..does she have a clone????

Comment by V Malone – September 18, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m genuinely curious to see if HH can avoid the Moonlighting curse. Myself, I’m a huge fan of Bones. It’s been fun to see her grow as a person. My favorite episode had to be “The Doctor in the Photo”. This was one of the most prolific moments of the series for this character. As far as season 8, that would be HUGE for this show. I’m confident they’ll even make it to season 9 if all goes well with cast negotiations (that can be a big breaking point so…). This is one of the longer-running shows of its kind that I’m aware of. I think there’s others that have run longer, but this one is certainly getting there. Sure, not every episode has been awesome and each has its own flaws, but I think overall this is a great show. I only hope they can keep the tension with Booth and Bones because THAT is what will decide if there’s a season 8, season 9, etc. Honestly, I think they can drag out the Booth/Bones tension for at least two more seasons if HH plays it right. As for The Finder…it could be an indicator that HH is looking for a back-up plan in case the tension does get played out or maybe Bones has just been so successful that he wants to play off of that. I doubt they’d use the four mini-season episodes as a series finale. HH knows better. He’ll want Bones to go out with a bang so if it’s going to end, it’ll end Spring 2012 without the four episodes. Because of the request for these episodes, I think they’re using them to keep Bones fans hooked until season 8 or at least that’s the plan. Another thing to consider is that they’re using these four episodes to give ED some more time at home with her baby before she comes back to work, so they might film them beforehand and then tack them on at the beginning of season 8.

Hart, if you’re reading this, don’t end the Bones series without them getting together! I’m not anxious for it to end, mind you, but I know its a reality that it will someday. DON’T DO ANOTHER “GILMORE GIRLS” SERIES FINALE! PLEASE?!

Comment by Gina C – September 18, 2011 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post