Fall TV Preview

The Secret Circle: Your Guide to Which Witch Is Which – and Their Secrets!

The CW has likely conjured up a hit — or at least a magically delicious companion piece to The Vampire Diaries — with The Secret Circle, a new series adapted from novels by the same author of TVD, but offering a slightly different spin on witchcraft.

With Secret Circle debuting Thursday at 9/8c, give yourself a head start by skimming our guide to who’s who in anything-can-happen Chance Harbor, Washington. (With additional reporting by Meg Masters)

Kevin Williamson on How ‘Maybe’ a Vampire Diaries-Secret Circle Crossover Could Happen

Comments (28)

• Shouldnt the guys be wizards? Kinda annoying how both the guys and girls are witches; in this and tvd.

Comment by Bob – September 14, 2011 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s apparently a bit of an issue with some people. I remember reading some time ago about how much some group hated it when Bewitched called their male witches “warlocks.” They insisted that the men were supposed to be called “witches” too.

Comment by satirex – September 15, 2011 01:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I agree. I guess being part of the ‘Harry Potter Generation’, I’ve always thought that girls should be called witches and the guys wizards. I think warlocks is slightly better than witches, but I’ve never really liked the term

Comment by airhead – September 15, 2011 03:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Isn’t Harmoine a Wizard in Harry Potter?

Comment by Captain – September 15, 2011 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • First, Hermione is spelled wrong and second, she is a witch not a wizard since she is a female.

Comment by Amy – September 15, 2011 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Regardless of what gender you are, you are called a witch. Witches are called witches because of witchcraft, which is a religion. Wizards and warlocks are fictional. These books are based on witchcraft, which makes them all witches.

Comment by Jimi – September 15, 2011 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Strictly speaking, warlocks aren’t fictional, but it’s not a gender issue. “Warlock” was just a term once used for a witch (male or female) who had been ousted from their coven, usually for engaging in questionable practices or methods.

Or, you know, if they were just being really a big asshole.

Comment by Michael – September 15, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This has got to be the most worthless online argument I’ve read all day.

Comment by JC – September 15, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched the free pre premiere, It was good. There is definitely a few stories in there. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
    I just why question why kevin williamson cast cassie as a blonde and diana as brunette.
    I love Ashley crow and natasha, they were brilliant.
    Adam harrington was brilliant as the drunk ethan conant. I’m intrigued to see what incident occured and how they will use black john in this adaptation.

Last complaint is why only six instead of maybe seven which is more magical in wiccan numerology.

Comment by shuayb – September 14, 2011 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I read somewhere that the CW is developing a pilot for later this season or next season about a wealthy, secret enclave with a high school full of conflicted, sexy leprechauns.

Comment by satirex – September 15, 2011 01:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WIN! It’ll be called “Kiss Me, I’m Irish…and Sexy”

Comment by Captain – September 15, 2011 04:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the books and I’m glad teh series is NOTHING like them, like tvd, as if it was it would be too distracting.

but as for males being witches, that is true in lots of lore – wizard actually means a wizened old man – like gandalf, merlin. in charmed the men were witches and its not uncommon at all. in fact, id say that harry potter using the term wizard it probably the exception and it is definitely not the rule.

Comment by Katy – September 15, 2011 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree. I’m so glad that TVD has deviated from the book series a bit in certain respects, because I do agree that it would be distracting. I believe KW has already said that The Secret Circle will also deviate from the books, so I’m excited about that as well.

Comment by Jamie – September 15, 2011 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched the free pilot on iTunes the other day. It was okay. I’d watch it again a few times to see where it goes.

Comment by Tee – September 15, 2011 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll give this a shot, it looks interesting enough, but I can already tell I’m going to be rolling my eyes over the inevitable triangle. Seriously, is that all they can do? It’s been done to death on every teen/20-something drama already.

Comment by scooterbeanbag – September 15, 2011 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed that it’s overdone. However, the series of books this show is adapted from are from the early 90s, so at least they precedented the sudden surge in popularity of the love triangle in YA entertainment.

Comment by Kally – September 15, 2011 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *preceded, rather. Still need my morning coffee, apparently.

Comment by Kally – September 15, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True, but the love triangle is a major player in the book series. And while I’m sure the show will deviate from the books just like TVD has (KW has said it already), it is based on the book series.

Comment by Jamie – September 15, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for this; maybe I’ll be able to follow along with the pilot better now. Lots of characters at once, that’s for sure!

Comment by Danielle H. – September 15, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited about the series premiere tonight. I’ve been waiting for this show for months now. :)

Comment by Jamie – September 15, 2011 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched the pilot on iTunes and LOVED IT. Diana is my favorite of the girls, but Gale Harold is chilling as her father. He OWNS that role.

Comment by verybookish – September 15, 2011 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As usual..in CW land..there isn’t a single character over the age of 23 it looks like.

Comment by jeff in Co – September 15, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …Except of course the parents/grandparents of the teens. Once again these are based on books written in the 90′s and generally for teens, containing teens. It has nothing to do with the CW’s choice

Comment by James – September 15, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually having watched the pilot already, the adult characters are just as important. It’s technically a teen show, but it also has a lot of adult appeal. Having read the books numerous times growing up, I felt they actually made a good pilot from it. It’s well written, well acted and had good direction. Overall, definitely a stronger pilot than TVD. I think this show has a great chance to do well. But it definitely has a lot more main adult characters than TVD (at least in how they play a bigger role).

Comment by AT – September 15, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, did you not see Gale Harold and Natasha Henstridge?

Comment by Megan – September 15, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • umm… watching this just for sexy Gale Harold!!! Thursday is such a busy night I’m hoping this will be good enough to compete (not with other network shows, but at least with other CW shows)

Comment by Sara – September 15, 2011 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very impressive. Should do a crossover with the Vampires Diaries. CW has a great lineup this season. Looking for more excitement.

Comment by robert – September 15, 2011 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Warlocks are practioners who crossed over to the black arts but technically wizard would refer to any practioner male or female of a certain amount of talent in the arts

Comment by Chester – October 3, 2011 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post