The Secret Circle: Your Guide to Which Witch Is Which - and Their Secrets!

The CW has likely conjured up a hit — or at least a magically delicious companion piece to The Vampire Diaries — with The Secret Circle, a new series adapted from novels by the same author of TVD, but offering a slightly different spin on witchcraft.

With Secret Circle debuting Thursday at 9/8c, give yourself a head start by skimming our guide to who’s who in anything-can-happen Chance Harbor, Washington. (With additional reporting by Meg Masters)

Kevin Williamson on How ‘Maybe’ a Vampire Diaries-Secret Circle Crossover Could Happen

1. Bob says:

Shouldnt the guys be wizards? Kinda annoying how both the guys and girls are witches; in this and tvd.

• satirex says:

That’s apparently a bit of an issue with some people. I remember reading some time ago about how much some group hated it when Bewitched called their male witches “warlocks.” They insisted that the men were supposed to be called “witches” too.

• airhead says:

Yeah, I agree. I guess being part of the ‘Harry Potter Generation’, I’ve always thought that girls should be called witches and the guys wizards. I think warlocks is slightly better than witches, but I’ve never really liked the term

• Jimi says:

Regardless of what gender you are, you are called a witch. Witches are called witches because of witchcraft, which is a religion. Wizards and warlocks are fictional. These books are based on witchcraft, which makes them all witches.

• Michael says:

Strictly speaking, warlocks aren’t fictional, but it’s not a gender issue. “Warlock” was just a term once used for a witch (male or female) who had been ousted from their coven, usually for engaging in questionable practices or methods.

Or, you know, if they were just being really a big asshole.

• JC says:

This has got to be the most worthless online argument I’ve read all day.

2. shuayb says:

Watched the free pre premiere, It was good. There is definitely a few stories in there. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
    I just why question why kevin williamson cast cassie as a blonde and diana as brunette.
    I love Ashley crow and natasha, they were brilliant.
    Adam harrington was brilliant as the drunk ethan conant. I’m intrigued to see what incident occured and how they will use black john in this adaptation.

Last complaint is why only six instead of maybe seven which is more magical in wiccan numerology.

3. satirex says:

I read somewhere that the CW is developing a pilot for later this season or next season about a wealthy, secret enclave with a high school full of conflicted, sexy leprechauns.

4. Katy says:

I love the books and I’m glad teh series is NOTHING like them, like tvd, as if it was it would be too distracting.

but as for males being witches, that is true in lots of lore – wizard actually means a wizened old man – like gandalf, merlin. in charmed the men were witches and its not uncommon at all. in fact, id say that harry potter using the term wizard it probably the exception and it is definitely not the rule.

• Jamie says:

Completely agree. I’m so glad that TVD has deviated from the book series a bit in certain respects, because I do agree that it would be distracting. I believe KW has already said that The Secret Circle will also deviate from the books, so I’m excited about that as well.

5. Tee says:

Watched the free pilot on iTunes the other day. It was okay. I’d watch it again a few times to see where it goes.

6. scooterbeanbag says:

I’ll give this a shot, it looks interesting enough, but I can already tell I’m going to be rolling my eyes over the inevitable triangle. Seriously, is that all they can do? It’s been done to death on every teen/20-something drama already.

• Kally says:

Agreed that it’s overdone. However, the series of books this show is adapted from are from the early 90s, so at least they precedented the sudden surge in popularity of the love triangle in YA entertainment.

• Kally says:

*preceded, rather. Still need my morning coffee, apparently.

• Jamie says:

True, but the love triangle is a major player in the book series. And while I’m sure the show will deviate from the books just like TVD has (KW has said it already), it is based on the book series.

7. Danielle H. says:

Thanks for this; maybe I’ll be able to follow along with the pilot better now. Lots of characters at once, that’s for sure!

8. Jamie says:

So excited about the series premiere tonight. I’ve been waiting for this show for months now. :)

9. verybookish says:

Watched the pilot on iTunes and LOVED IT. Diana is my favorite of the girls, but Gale Harold is chilling as her father. He OWNS that role.

10. jeff in Co says:

As usual..in CW land..there isn’t a single character over the age of 23 it looks like.

• James says:

…Except of course the parents/grandparents of the teens. Once again these are based on books written in the 90’s and generally for teens, containing teens. It has nothing to do with the CW’s choice

• AT says:

Actually having watched the pilot already, the adult characters are just as important. It’s technically a teen show, but it also has a lot of adult appeal. Having read the books numerous times growing up, I felt they actually made a good pilot from it. It’s well written, well acted and had good direction. Overall, definitely a stronger pilot than TVD. I think this show has a great chance to do well. But it definitely has a lot more main adult characters than TVD (at least in how they play a bigger role).

11. Megan says:

Um, did you not see Gale Harold and Natasha Henstridge?

12. Sara says:

umm… watching this just for sexy Gale Harold!!! Thursday is such a busy night I’m hoping this will be good enough to compete (not with other network shows, but at least with other CW shows)

13. robert says:

Very impressive. Should do a crossover with the Vampires Diaries. CW has a great lineup this season. Looking for more excitement.

14. Chester says:

Warlocks are practioners who crossed over to the black arts but technically wizard would refer to any practioner male or female of a certain amount of talent in the arts