Castle Boss Teases a Season of 'Explosive' Secrets, Defends Controversial Twist

Castle creator Andrew W. Marlowe admits it wasn’t easy putting a bullet into Detective Kate Beckett in the Season 3 finale. But what doesn’t kill the NYPD cop will only make the show stronger.

“It was a pretty tough decision to shoot her — and to have Captain Montgomery take that [fatal] bullet,” Marlowe told TVLine during our visit to the hit ABC drama’s set on Tuesday. “But we wanted to show growth, and that’s a challenge for any show when you’re working within a pretty good comfort zone.”

Season 4 Promo: Castle Takes the Blame for Beckett’s Shooting

Elaborating on the matter of Montgomery (played by Ruben Santiago-Hudson) being revealed as complicit in the cover-up of Joanna Beckett’s years-ago murder, then dying a hero’s death, Marlowe acknowledges, “Anytime you make a decision like that, about a character everybody loves, it’s going to be controversial, but things had become very comfortable inside the precinct. It had become like a family, and everybody had accepted Castle (played by Nathan Fillion), so we were losing an element of conflict that would make the show even more special.”

Enter 24‘s own Lady Macbeth, Penny Johnson Jerald, as Captain Victoria “Iron” Gates. Perhaps assuaging some fans’ concerns, Marlowe says he is being sure to keep the new boss from coming across as too arch. Instead, he sees the Internal Affairs vet as simply “the hard-nosed coach who wants to get the best out of her team –- though the team doesn’t really want that. To adapt to somebody else’s methodology is a bit of a challenge to them. But it’s an interesting challenge.”

Ask Ausiello: Scoop on Castle‘s Sparks with The Killing‘s Kristin Lehman, and More!

Much more interesting, viewers will see as the Sept. 19 season premiere unfolds, is how the dynamic will change between Castle and Beckett (Stana Katic) in the wake of her aforementioned shooting — namely, how Rick’s profession of love during the very immediate aftermath was received by his partner in crimesolving.

Without revealing anything remotely close to a spoilery specific, we will say that the poster art that TVLine recently unveiled now makes a lot more sense, with Beckett’s finger forming a “Shhhh!” gesture over Castle’s lips.

“Really that is what’s emerging, that notion of secrets,” Marlowe says of Season 4’s theme. “[It's about] people who are really trying to have the relationship they want, but the cost of it is keeping secrets from one another in order to get there. And that can always be an explosive combination.”

Castle, Hawaii Five-0 or The Playboy Club: What Will You Watch Live, Mondays at 10?

Castle fans, who’s ready for Season 4? And what secrets do you think will be kept?

1. Nerwen Aldarion says:

An interview that has me super excited about the premiere and yet reveals NOTHING new…ahhh Marlowe sometimes you frustrate me to no end! LOL

2. Elizabeth says:

This is definitely the show whose return I’m looking forward to seeing the most (besides “Bones” but that doesn’t come back til November, so I have to wait a bit longer)!

3. Leigh says:

This sounds so good! Can’t wait til Monday!!!!!

4. april-ann says:

“It was a pretty tough decision to shoot her…” Really? I see it as the only option since they’ve obviously decided to keep them apart for another season. I figured something drastic was going to happen either to Castle (but he’s the lead) or to her. I was kind of hoping she was the subject of one of Ausi’s blind items (about the diva getting fired from an hour-long show). Could St. Castle get a little action, please?

• Alex says:

With all due respect, I really don’t see Stana Katic as a diva. She seems like a respectful, grateful, and reserved woman from the little I’ve seen of her outside the show. On a little side note though, did we ever find out who that “diva” was in the Blind Item?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Stana’s lovely, and awesome. I conducted the rest of my set visit interviews in the “interrogation room” (aptly), but she instead found this remote little nook for us to have a quality, distraction-free chat.

• Lisa says:

Wait, Stana interview? Is that coming up, cause there are no quotes from SK in this piece. As a matter of fact she has done NO press (other than photos) for Castle since the TV Guide stuff in February.

• Alex says:

Well, I totally meant to thank you for proving my point but my comment was lost somewhere, so thank you again Mr.Mitovich for proving my point. :) I’m sure she is a lovely woman.

• april-ann says:

I never meant that she was “a diva”. I’ve never liked the character, therefore kind of hoped she was the subject of the blind item, meaning she’d be gone. That’s all. But, I am a firm believer in that, unless you actually work on a show and know and work with the people there, no one else really knows for sure what goes on behind the scenes.

5. Kath says:

What will I watch? Castle…d’uh! ;) Thanks for the interview. Happy that the brilliant Marlowe always teases and never spoils!

6. XK says:

I don’t watch live tv unless they are sporting events, but Castle definitely has the place of honor for Monday nights on my DVR. :)

7. Michael Sacal says:

At this point I’m more interested in the Marvel character that is supposed to show up in Castle this season and in what context.

Is it a character from Castle dressed as a Marvel character for Halloween, or is it the bona fided character making an appearance in the Castleverse?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Ha, no, you’ve combined two episodes. Episode 2 concerns a vigilante “superhero” in the city’s midst. Then, around Halloween-time, there’s the episode about some ghostbusters.

• Michael Sacal says:

Is it Frank Castle? “Castle versus Castle” :P

• TJCrinc says:

greatest costume he could wear except mal reynolds.

• Michael Sacal says:

I think that, given the world Castle inhabits, the most likely Marvel charactesr (assuming it’s the bona fided character and not a CSI: NY-style guy who only believes he’s the character like “Clark Kent”) would be Frank Castle/The Punisher, Jessica Jones from Alias (and the-in-development AKA Jones or whatever they’re calling it), or Mockingbird (who is said to also have a show in development).

If it’s Frank, he’ll be there to challenge Castle on a physical level. If it’s Jones or Mockingbird, she might be there to challenge him on a romantic level and put his relationship with Beckket on the rocks (of course, if it’s Jones then he’d have to deal with Luke Cage — sweet Christmas! – and if it’s Mockingbird he’d have to deal with Hawkeye).

That is, of course, that it’s the bona fided character. If it’s another “Clark Kent”, then none of that will apply.

8. Bruce_F says:

So a secret Castle / Beckett relationship? Is that what we’re talking about here?

• Ana says:

MFTE!!! I don’t know if I should get excited because maybe (likely) they’re just messing up with my feelings :'(

• Lisa says:

Wouldn’t that be a completely awesome way to go? The shippers would go berserk and it would be absolutely unique for primetime TV.

• Colleen says:

A secret Castle/Beckett relationship…OR Beckett secretly knows he said, “I love you,” but pretends to not remember? Hence the fingers over his lips, as if to shush him and not say it again since she is scared to finally be in love! GRRR

• Tashadan says:

Except for the X-Files, where our heros had a love affair so secret that even the shippers only learned about it way into it.

• Jolie says:

Yes, the discussions around All Things and baby William. Good times.

I don’t know what to make of this. AWM is always so cryptic. But I think we will find out at the end of the premiere. He said that what Beckett says at the end of the episode will set the tone in their relationship.

In Andrew W Marlowe I trust.

9. Alex says:

My point proven. :) Thank you Mr.Mitovich.

10. Virginie says:

I’m thinking Castle is the one Montgomery sent the envelope containing the information about Johanna Beckett’s murder to and he won’t tell Beckett in an attempt to protect her. After all, even as he was about to sacrifice himself, Montgomery did not want reveal what he knew to Beckett because he knew she would go after the guy and could get herself killed (which almost happened). That could definitely make for an “explosive combination”. Or it could be something else entirely. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

• Aline says:

I agree with everything you said.

I think that maybe they will begin a relationship, and then Beckett will find out that Castle has the files and didn’t tell her, and they’ll break up. But I don’t see it happening anytime soon…

11. Anne says:

I’m not sure what to think about the new season. I dislike the fact they made a good guy bad – Captain. I believe they could have added some conflict another way like having the Captain on leave after saving Becketss life (not as a bad guy) adding the new person then at some point getting the Captain back. I liked the fact the team was like a family. The drama/conflict came mostly from the storyline (personal and professional) and that was fine with me. We’ll see if he messed with magic and how it turns out. When you have a show doing so well it could be risky messing with it. I’ll really miss the actor who played the Captain.

• K says:

Actually, I love what they did with the Captain. He wasn’t made “bad” at all; he was made a fallible human who made a few wrong decisions when he was young, and then spent the rest of his life trying to atone for his sins. He protected Beckett the best way he knew how, and taught her how to become a better cop and a better person. In the end, he sacrificed himself (and, potentially, his family), to do what was right and to save Beckett’s life.

Will she take what he did and what he kept secret from her as a betrayal? Quite possibly, and, rightly so. But, that, along with his death, will only add another layer to her already complex character. Mr. Santiago-Hudson is an amazing actor, and I will definitely miss him and the Captain, but I think TPTB only set the show up for something more compelling this season.

12. Colleen says:

13. Kate says:

I think they screwed the whole dynamic up by getting rid of the Captain. Most police departments ARE like a family and there is nothing wrong with that. There are a lot of ways to bring conflict into the “family” without going this cheap and shoddy path. Castle just went from “must see” to “DVR it” for me.

14. Rob J. says:

I’m assuming that Dr. Josh gets Beckett in touch with an awesome plastic surgeon so that you won’t be able to see any scar, much less a massive one, the next time — say, oh, about February-ish, she has to wear a gownless evening strap to a hoity-toity shindig for a case.

15. sky says:

Ahhhhhhh where’s sep 19?! I just want to know what Beckett’s significant last words are at the end of the episode. Apparently it’s the most exciting part of the ep.

16. Kate says:

I’m way more excited for a TV show than a person ought to be… Monday can’t come soon enough! I hope we get to see the cast interviews at some point.

17. Chris O says:

I’m watching Castle, of course!

18. Rashmi says:

you wish!!

19. kristen says:

You’ve never likes Beckett? How is that possible. And you still watch the show? The dynamic between castle and Beckett are the reason for the show existing. And their chemistry is amazing. What’s not to like about her..

20. kristen says:

Agreed K!

21. Noa says:

My female roommate introduced me to this show in May (or sometime around then) and I gotta say; I’m pretty hooked. I too believe Beckett did hear and does remember the ‘I love you’ but will purposely neglect to let him know. She’s probably still trying to process it along with everything else. Hopefully there’ll be some kind of confession from Beckett in the premiere, (most likely exclusively to the audience though.) For me; it doesn’t have to be a major confession just something that offers hope that they are indeed heading in the direction of a full-blown relationship. I’d say around midseason we may see another kiss shared between the two, I can’t help but imagine alcohol might have something to do with it if it does happen.

22. zaza says:

Remember that Beckett is going to be seeing a shrink. So even if she doesn’t talk about the “I Love You” to Castle, she probably will discuss it with her therapist, so we viewers will maybe get to find out how she feels about what happened and where she might want to go from there.

• Kath says:

Not good enough. I don’t object so much to not knowing how Beckett feels but how stupid the show made both Beckett and Castle last season trying to keep them apart. Both characters have been badly hit from being with other partners.

23. amanda says:

can not wait for the premiere!

24. ali says:

my guess – she tells him not to say it again until she is ready to hear it.

25. Kat says:

I love “Castle” but I really don’t like Penny Johnson Jerald as an actor. She’s so one dimensional and I think they could have gotten someone a lot better. I’ll still watch but I’m not as excited about this season as I otherwise would be. The show’s cast had such perfect chemistry together…why would they mess with it?

26. mdb says:

I am guessing that Castle got the package with all the important information from Montgomery and he will keep that a secret from Beckett for some time if not the whole season. I suspect Castle will do some of his own investigating on Beckett’s mom’s case before telling Beckett. That is the only secret I can think they will have. Maybe Alexis will keep some things from Castle too.

27. Jill says:

I loved everything about Castle for the first two seasons. But starting with Castle going off with Gina (a woman he had hated until then), the last season has been a disapointment. There were a few good episodes (the ones dealing with Joanna Beckett’s murder and the two parter) but having Castle in a relationship with Gina and Beckett with Josh killed so much of the chemistry between them that I wasn’t interested in watching re-runs.

I can understand that Marlowe doesn’t want them to get together yet (although I don’t see why not, there have been enough TV shows that put the couple together (e.g. Farscape, Babylon 5 and Deep Space 9) and it made the show even better) but if he is going to keep them apart still, he needs to find a way to do it without making both Castle and Beckett look like idiots.

I’ll reserve judgement till I’ve seen the premier but my expectations are lower than they were last September.

28. jake says:

I can’t tell you how excited i am to see 24’s Penny johnson jerald on the show — she should have won an emmy for the show — she’s such an amazing actress especially when she’s devious. But I don’t like the dynamic that they are going for in which Castle is not accepted — I hated that on 24 — where jack bauer was saving the world and got no credit — it would just make castle less fun to watch.