Exclusive: Bones' David Boreanaz Crosses Over to The Finder... as a Director

David Boreanaz is is putting his director’s hat back on — but it won’t be the Bones cameras he’ll be stepping behind.

The actor has signed on to direct an episode of The Finder, the Bones spinoff that will launch at midseason while the mothership goes on a break to accommodate star Emily Deschanel’s pregnancy.

“David’s directing one of our episodes,” says Geoff Stults, The Finder‘s titular crime solver.

The Finder Duo Tackle Cast Changes, Bones Crossover Buzz and Their ‘Father/Son’ Dynamic

Not only that, but Boreanaz — a four-time helmer on Bones — is also expected to pay an on screen visit as Booth. “It’s going to happen, for sure,” maintains Stults of the possibility of Bones actors crossing over. “We’re not exactly sure who and when, but it’s happening. … David’s going to be there. I think honestly the only one that’s for sure not is Emily because of her pregnancy.”

Exclusive: Fox’s The Finder Recruits Chuck Badass, Teen Newcomer

And while there’s been “a little talk about T.J. [Thyne]” journeying to Florida, Stults would personally like to see Hodgins’ other half make the trek. “I say every day that I want Michaela [Conlin] to come on over because she’s the only girl in Hollywood who’s my height,” says the six-foot, three-inch actor with a laugh. “And she’s a friend of mine.”

1. 1mars says:

Poor David, in order to direct, he has to appear on Finder. Jeez

2. Gina says:

Bones actors need to stay off of the Finder. Let the show try to do well on its own. And Booth being w/o Brennan is WRONG.

• viv says:

With only 13 episodes (out of the usual 22), ALL the actors from Bones who are NOT PREGNANT need to do something to fill the 4 months of “post-partum” hiatus. Booth without Bones is RIGHT when Emily goes on her break leaving David and the whole cast unemployed for the winter/spring. The entire cast has the right to appear on The Finder and/or any other Fox show when they’ll be forced to take a break without the paycheck for 9 episodes.

• Gina says:

Oh please, I am sure the cast will be FINE with missing a few episodes. Geez! They should NOT mess with Bones canon to pimp the Finder. Let it be. Bones is Bones. Finder is Finder. They don’t need to blur the line between the two.

• beatrice says:

* a ‘few’ episodes? like 9? as in 1/3 of the season?
          how would you like if you’d be paid 1/3 less this year?
          * mariska hargitay, gillian anderson, ellen pompeo. dozens of lead actresses got pregnant during their shows and missed just a couple of eps. they’ve done it and were fine along with their babies.
          * deschanel’s decision to take a big leave of absence cause of her pregnancy affects the production of Bones and it’s a huge deal. she’s pregnant,not sick.

• Gina says:

Um, before you talk, you should know what you should get your facts straight.

1. Hart Hanson (as recently as today, check GMMR) said Bones could do up to 18.

2. it was FOX that decided how long they were going to be on hiatus. Bones and Finder are sharing a time slot. There are only so many episodes a newtwork can cover. Don’t go and blame Emily for getting pregnant. Fox could have handled the entire thing better.

• Adele says:

You seem to forget Emily Deschanel is a human being and NOT A SLAVE.

• AngelMoonGirl says:

I agree. I mean obviously it’s the actors/actresses’ choice, but I think it’s irritating having Bones be connected to The Finder (it should really learn to stand on its own!), and I’m sure compared to us regular wage folk they’ve got plenty of money to tide them over.

• SnoopGirl says:

If 1/3 of my income meant 1/3 of several hundred thousand or even a few million dollars, I would be OK with that :-)

• Jason says:

Season three was only three episodes longer than what season 7 will be. I am sure the cast will do fine without those few episodes.

• beatrice says:

* it was the american writers strike, a guild of thousands of members who lobbied for their rights.
          * not one single person’s decision to take a long maternity break leaving the crew jobless.

• Kik says:

You are wrong, the short season was Fox decision, so stop blaming Emily, even HH said that it was Fox decision. An actress can’t just decide to make a short season, she’s under contract and she get the leave that she need but it’s the network the one making decisions. And it helps if the producer (HH) is trying so hard to help his new show. HH is happy with the network decision because it helps his new show, a new show that I don’t find interesting by the way.

• Shannon says:

She’s taking a six week break. That’s a hell of a lot less time than women in countries such as Canada and Australia are entitled to. How dare you attack her for simply taking a few weeks (less than the time needed to film three episodes of the show, so the hiatus really is a result of Fox’s decision) to recover and bond with her baby. Get over yourself.

3. kevin says:

This BONES spin-off is going to get even worse just like when CBS did with its Criminal Minds spin-off Suspect Behavior.

4. Sarah says:

I kind of agree with Kevin. I didn’t really connect with the Finder cast in the back door pilot. Then again, I didn’t connect with the Suspect Behavior cast either (I didn’t watch but did cheer silently when it got axed). I love Bones but I don’t think every majorly popular show needs a spin-off.

5. Samantha says:

I was NOT a fan of the Finder, but I may tune in for the episodes with Bones people. I would prefer if their involvement isn’t part of Bones mythology though. I don’t want to miss out on Bones because I don’t watch the Finder.

6. l.d. says:

I didn’t like the spinoff, but DB has to do something on his spare time and since he’s passionate about directing, and he does it well, go for it! I say.
    That’s 1 episode of the Finder I’ll watch, ok 2 if he guest stars in another one, but I’m drawing a line here :-)
    And Michael, as per DB’s twitter posts, the man will also direct 1 ep of BONES this season, as usual. I’m guessing when they come back in – what – April?

7. catbean says:

Emily has reportedly had a difficult time. Every woman is different. And other than the actors, who make much more money than the crew, I’ve read that the crew that works on Bones will be working on The Finder. I don’t think it’s up to us to judge. We should all just wish Emily well and for a heathly baby. If you love the show that much (and it’s my personal favorite and I watch a LOT of TV) just be happy for Emily and look forward to what we get. As stupid as Fox is with canceling great shows (RIP Lie to Me/Human Target) I’m just happy we have a 7th season.

• ines says:

Hart Hanson said the opposite that she is very healthy and I don´t think all the crew will work on The Finder. I love the show but that doesn´t mean that I have to be happy about certain decisions or storylines

• Adele says:

Hart’s show, Hart’s crew. Zooey is who said Emily has been feeling very tired lately.

• Geez says:

LOL. Zooey said she was tired like all pregnant women are tired. She didn’t say she was overworked or anything like that. Stop reaching.

• Adele says:

• @Adele says:

“I didn’t say she was overworked, just meant that she has indeed been having a difficult time, she may not be sick but it seems like it’s not that easy for her to pull off 16 hours of work every day anymore.”

You are basing this off of what? Emily nor David has done any interviews in months. Zooey’s one comment about her being tired? Also I highly doubt she is working 16 hours days like she use to. Emily isn’t the first TV lead to ever get pregnant so people can stop acting like it. For the record, I am a fan but what you are saying is based on pure speculation.

8. Heather says:

Oh look, DB’s crazy fans come and bash Emily. like always….

Yawn on the Finder. Putting Bones cast members in the show is not going to help it. But hey, let them try.

• yeah says:

And Emily Dechanel lesbian fangirls are out for blood. Pot > kettle. Boreanaz has been bashed and insulted on twitter by Dechanel’s fans even for talking about sport. What goes around comes around. No fans are better, don’t kid yourself. You’re all just as crazy. All fandoms are fanatic by definition.

• Emily's lesbian fan says:

We like David but we don’t like YOU. You’re the ones who always start bashing Emily. People started bashing David after he cheated and he earned that HIMSELF.

• This says:

Thank you! David was treated like a God in the fandom before the whole cheating/sexual harassment thing came out and that’s his own fault.

• Emily's lesbian fan says:

I like David but NO WAY IN HELL I’ll defend him like his crazy fangirls do. His fangirls criticize Brennan’s every action and Emily’s looks AND are the only twisted people who ship Booth & Hannah. And they call us Emily’s fans crazy and lesbian when they’re so obsessed with David they’ve started to become him – drinking wine and watching Flyers’ games. Emily at least inspires us to be healthy not to become a bunch of alcoholics! I have come to the conclusion they’re bitter and jealous of Emily because of how well David gets along with her, better than he did with SMG and Charisma Carpenter. Lots of them shipped him with both actresses and now they call “Demily” shippers sick and crazy. PUHLEEZE!

9. Leila says:

David fans: GO WATCH THE RINGER AND LEAVE US ALONE.

• NO says:

good ol’ nutty Deschanel fans are showing their true colors.
      WHAT DOES RINGER HAVE TO DO WITH THE SUBJECT MATTER????
      Bones and Ringer will air on different networks on different days, there’s no competition.
      are Deschanel fans so crazy they cannot stand any other show but Bones or any actor but Deschanel?
      are Deschanel fans jealous on SMG + DB chemistry? it was amazing, better than DB+ED chemistry by far
      plus SMG is 1000 better than ED.

• YES says:

Agree with you – 100 %!

• Nope says:

I think the crazy ones are the fans who can’t let go of a show that has been cancelled for over 10 years. I have watched many shows and I don’t go to articles of any of the actors current shows just to say how much better chemistry one of them had with someone else. I either watch the show and I like it or I don’t watch at all. Also I don’t waste time spamming articles, twitter and tumblr talking about how SMG and David have the best chemistry EVAH!

10. Oui says:

I have no problem with this because Geoff is so damn hot! I don’t mind watching!

11. Fan says:

THIS!!! Emily and her selfish!

12. Killy says:

I like both Emily and David. I really can’t understand bashing one of them.
    Somebody compares Emily’s situation with other leading actress in series, but people are different and it’s necessary to recognize that. In addition, Emily’s role is essential there, so better stop production in this case. On the other hand, David can dedicate himself to his passion, directing…. so what………what problems have you people?

• Angie says:

Amen to that. Let David and emily be. Bones will be fine. Just because they are putting The Finder episodes in while Emily is on maternity leave does not mean we have to mad about it. Bones will be back. I may or may not watch the Finder. I will watch the episode that David will direct and appear in though. David and the rest of the cast have to work. If they want to make guest appearances on other shows or direct then I say let them. It is not going to effect my opinion of them or the show. I just want Emily and her baby to be healthy. What is wrong with some of you people? Anyway, I am just glad we get a season 7. We could have not had one. Think about that next time you want to complain. Rant over.

• Gretchen says:

I didn’t hate the first episode of the Finder. Didn’t love it. But I didn’t really like the first episode of Bones and other shows I have come to enjoy each week.

Judging a show by its first episode is rather unfair–especially when that first episode was mid-season and then put on the backburner, to be continued later. It can take a few episodes for a cast to gel.

As for Emily, good for her taking the time to be with her baby! I’d say that time is more important than my taking in a few more episodes of a TV show.

13. melanie says:

They get thousand of dollars an episode, they will do fine… And they always could have start the season without Emily but they didn’t.

14. Charlotte says:

I’ll be honest, I think both groups (the full on fans for both DB and ED) are as bad as each other. Sometimes the adulation is a little alarming. And that’s from someone who is an enormous fan of the show and both of them. It just doesn’t have to be one over the other.

But then I think that the people who are like that are probably in their teens and that’s just what teenagers do. They’ll grow out of thinking these people are perfect, when clearly they’re just great actors, who work really hard. I’m glad they do, I really enjoy their work.

DB is a talented director, and I think it’ll be the first time he’s directed something that he hasn’t worked on for years and knows inside out so it’ll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Does anyone know if The Finder is being filmed in Florida?

15. Guy says:

Bones and The Finder are going to air on 2 different networks here in Australia so i don’t want any crossovers between them because our networks are guaranteed not to work together to make crossovers work.

I agree with a couple of you. The cast of Bones need to stay well away from The Finder. Otherwise it won’t be its own show. It will be a show the Bones cast drop into all the time. If it were once a season sure but all the time? I actually didn’t like the premise of The Finder so i probably wont be watching it anyway.

16. Dewan says:

WTF, They are treating Deschanel like a Primadonna just because she is having a baby. Are they serious? So she can’t work. Get some other HOT babe to take her place for about 7 or 8 episodes. Contrary to what ED’s fans think, their are other actresses who can play this part. Are they afraid that people might actually like Booth being teamed up with someone new?

• kat says:

They even cancelled Bones panel because of her

• WTF says:

LOL no they didn’t. Both Emily and David didn’t want to go.

• yes says:

Because of her. They shooting Bones

• WTF says:

NO. That wasn’t the reason. They shoot Bones every year around Comic Con and they usually go. The panel was planned MONTHS in advanced and Hart and co probably would have cleared the day. Besides even if Emily couldn’t go Hart and David easily could have or Hart could have taken Micheala, TJ and John. They wouldn’t just cancel a sold out CC panel that was planned MONTHS in advanced because of Emily.

• ines says:

No, they were shooting 2 episodes at once “the personal reasons” was FOX excuse to cancel the same week

• kat says:

Of course they said that because of “the personal reasons”. But fact “the personal reasons” = Emily!

17. AngelMoonGirl says:

Yeesh, why can’t Bones be Bones and The Finder be the The Finder? This is all just a viewership ploy >.< Just because characters are "crossing over" doesn't mean I want to watch The Finder *yawn*

18. Max says:

Yay, David always does a great job directing his eps, I remember when he directed that parasite episode of ‘Angel’. He’s a good director and I’m sure that episode’s gonna be awe.
    btw. I totaly understand Emily for leaving BUT I’ve got to addmit that he and Sarah had a better chemistry. I mean I love Emilys character but the acting seemed a lot smoother when DB and SMG acted together.
    I’m still waiting for DB and JM to make guest appearences on Ringer ^^

19. Jillian says:

This whole war between between David and Emily is wacked. I understand if people want to bash fictional characters…but having to pick an actor over the other and doing everything to bash the other actor…and even kind of make up crap to bash them with (I have never heard anything about Emily being overworked or David promoting alcoholism?? I have only read Emily is just tired like all pregnant women are and David likes beer) is just lame..

20. Mic says:

Wow! WTF! Didn’t anyone ever teach you any manners. Guess not!! First of all every women has the right to have children or not, get married or not, to have a life with privacy or some level of privacy. Each person is different. How would would feel after working 90 hour weeks,not to mention all of the weekend stuff as well. Try that when you’re pregnant. That’s what I thought! Shut up to all you haters, bashers, rude people. Get a life!! As for the show, maternity leave is normal. It was bound to happen sooner or later. She’s not the only one to have kids while working so back off!! The show will have less episodes but WILL have more seasons. Remember season 3 short season. We will have more episodes, many more seasons, etc so chill. As for Emily & David’s “personal lives”, there’s a time as well as a place for everything. Everyone will welcome to their own “opinions” but be adults about it or at least pretend 2 one. It’s embarrassing, rude, immature & a waste of time.

21. steven says:

I thought the finder backdoor pilot on bones was ok but now it has been given it’s own show things will change, maybe for the better or maybe for the worse as pilots are used to fine tune a program and find out what people liked or didn’t like and change it accordingly to make it more enjoyable to the audience but it hasn’t even aired yet so don’t bash the finder as it’s own show until u have had the oppotunity to see it as a changed/improved program. as for the arguement about bones crew/cast crossing over to finder, it doesn’t mean it will improve the show or make it worse. it just means that both shows are set in the same tv universe and that sometimes the world of “bones” and the world of “the finder” overlap and the likelyhood is that it won’t make both/either worse, it might make both/either better and it makes sense that the crew (who are not as highly paid as the cast/producer/director) do not miss the wages that they might need that they would have recieved had bones had a full season this year. As stated before it was FOX’s decision to cut the episode number down this season but part of the reason was you can’t have a show called “bones” without “bones” being in it and as emily deschanel is pregnant (which she has the right to be) the network desided it would be best for the show and it’s title character to cut the number of episodes this season.

22. sam-loves Bones -206 says:

I have a blog thst im workimg on . and all of is a bunch of puuupyy-
    poop. i dont like the spind off at all. Bones works on Bones and
    the new works on the new show. Booth stays with Bones they are
    having a Baby Booth or Bones. the new show will last only six shows.
    most new shows last only the life span of a aunt dying in water.
    Emily is not a bad person . Shes is a sweet heart with mayb A little Bones of her own or may B A little Booth of her own. How knows.!?
    Bones didnt show to Comic – Con becsue of her. The show had to start
    filming the show on the 25 th of july. David B loves Emily D alot and
    stop saying he doent. the 7 th season starts in Nov. because of the
    new show the x factor and baseball. the new seaon stars nov. 3 and
    leaves after the 8th of DEc. for a winter break.

23. Sheri says:

I recall reading that Bones and The Finder will be 2 separate shows.
    Each was to have their own actors etc. Recently I read that there
    may be some cross over episodes with cast members appearing each other
    show.
    Now a Bones star will direct a Finder episode while Bones is not
    in production. What has changed with all of this…. could it be
    that if the Finder fails. The lead actors (Finder will be incorporated
    somehow into Bones.

24. julianne says:

I think its great that David gets to work during Emily’s maternity leave. As the actors get paid per episode not a contract amount that is the same every year then he can’t afford to lose that much income. Because number one he has a family to support and number two he lives in California which costs a fortune to reside in.

25. MD86 says:

Wow I actually enjoyed all your candor about the show. Some people can be overly enthusiastic about how they feel about what’s going on next. Hart must be ecstatic that a lot of fans are still religiously loving Bones. For me, I don’t really care if DB directs or some of them will appear on “The Finder”. As long as Bones is on going and will have an 8th or more (definitely wishing for more) seasons, then I’m a happy camper. As for Emily, I respect her decision. Or Fox’s, or Hart’s, or to whomever decided to be having fewer episodes of Bones this season. But I will miss Bones’ in action. Peace.

• Danielle says:

I have to say, I love Bones, it’s an awesome show. First, Congrats to Emily and she should take as much time as she needs, clearly she has her priorities straight, her family should come first and anyone one who thinks otherwise, is wrong. I mean, I love the show to , but to actually get angry because it will be postponed for whatever reason they say, is ridiculous, it is a great show, but still it is just a tv show. Also, I think it is great that the cast and crew will be doing other things during Bones’ down time. Lastly, the show is great because of all of the actors and crew, so I’d prefer that they wait till all the cast can be there to continue the show. I am just glad that they will continue.

26. jesse says:

YOU SHOULD PLAY ON MORE BUFFYS NOT THE FINDER PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!11

27. Deb says:

What??? all of you are babies, DB has to find another way to keep working cause if you dont notice he is getting OLD!!!! to play a HUNK STUD MALE LEADING ACTOR, so what old actors do??? start with the directing thing, he does it good and you cant blame the guy for trying to keep his place in the business.

I think ED will return into her on time (AML), but lets face it BONES its over, they already said this is the last season.

Now all of us can enjoy what its left and get a life or cry until you crack and go nuts. word of advice GET A F….G LIFE.

28. Lauren says:

Wait just a sec…are you all SERIOUS?? so, after reading this thread, the conclusions have been made that 1.All pregnancies are easy and actors shouldn’t be allowed time to recover and enjoy their babies for only 6 wks 2. Emily’s fans are lesbians 3. Davids fans are alcoholics 4.The finder sucks, even though the first true episode hasn’t even come out yet
    5. David is the worst person in the world, and probably the only person ever to cheat (i am not saying it was good tho) 6. And I got out of this that the Human target show did the same thing as the finder with bones and it sucked. ….SERIOUSLY PEOPLE??? Bones. Thats the show. It’s not Emily, or David, or Hart, or even the amazing TJ thyne, or you, it’s Bones. Its a fantastic show with fantastic chemistry, and only fools can deny that ED&DB have it. And please, don’t try to bash Emily for having and wanting a relationship with her kid. Its six weeks, chill out people. Geez….