Ringer In Review: What Did You Think of Gellar's TV Return? Plus: What's Next!

Sarah Michelle Gellar, Nestor Carbonell and Kristoffer Polaha, among others, returned to our TVs on Tuesday night in The CW’s Ringer, after a summer of buzz surrounding their “double trouble” thriller. But now the big question: Did Ringer live up to the hype?

We want to know your thoughts on SMG’s new series — the one that is most definitely not Buffy. But before you make up your mind, TVLine has some scoop from the stars on what’s ahead on Ringer – and some of it might surprise you.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Veronica Mars Alum Jason Dohring’s Ringer Role

“They’re going to slow things down after the pilot, which had so much going on,” says Mike Colter, who plays Bridget’s NA sponsor, Malcolm. “Things will be developed and answered at a new pace.”

Adds Nestor Carbonell, “Following the pilot, they’ve been able to get into more detail and you get to breathe — especially in the second episode. It’s sort of Hitchcockian, because it’s all about how we’re dealing with the very end of the pilot… and that body.”

Ringer, DWTS, NCIS: LA, New Girl or Biggest Loser: What Will You Watch Tuesdays at 9?

Another important note about what’s ahead: You will learn to love Polaha’s “other man,” Henry.

“He is redeemed in Episode 6,” the Life Unexpected alum promises. “When I signed on for this series, I knew it was going to be a slow burn — especially for Henry. Moving forward you get these glimpses of Henry and you wonder who he is and what he’s about, and then it starts to unfold and you realize just how significant he is in Siobhan’s life.”

“They have very smartly gone down every road for these characters,” Polaha adds enthusiastically. “There are a lot of flashbacks, and it’s juicy and good.”

One more scooplet: Did you happen to notice the birthdate when they showed a close-up of Siobhan’s driver’s license? That was no slap-dash prop. A big day is approaching for someone — or make that two someones. And series EP Eric Charmelo assures us that Siobhan’s birthday will be the focus of a fall episode.

Now, back to you: Was Ringer everything you’d hoped it would be? Will you keep tuning in? Take our poll below, and then hit the comments with the rest of your reactions.

1. Ashley says:

I love everyone in this show, and I was so excited, but the pilot didn’t do much for me. That being said, I am eager for the next episode and hoping maybe I was just in a mood tonight!

2. Valerie says:

Shows with identical twins are always tricky to follow. The pilot was a little confusing at times (I’m not a fan of flashbacks at the best of times) but I usually give new shows a couple of weeks to prove themselves so I’ll tune in again next week and hope this amazing cast isn’t wasted.

3. Umar says:

It was great episode…but we all know most of it due to description and so many previews of the show, so we know the basic plot.
    But still there were three things for me which i didnt expect…that Siobhan is pregnant and she doesnt know it yet…perhaps. And she had a kid name Sean…something happened to him due to Bridget…and the killer in end…who i was expecting that wanted to kill Bridget, yeah..thats what i thiught…actually wanted to kill Siobhan./
    Its pretty confusing…but this show has real potential. :D

4. anne5by5 says:

I enjoyed the pilot. The producers have to be more careful with the CW promotion department. They revealed way too much of the plot in their promos. I knew about 3 out of 4 major plot twists just from seeing the promos. I did like the one surprise plot twist. The music was jarring and distracting. The boat special effects were bad. Sarah Michelle was excellent as Bridget/Siobhan. I look forward to next episode.

5. Cassie says:

I liked it. Can’t be too harsh on a pilot.

Although something has to be done about directing, CG, and cinematography. Anything that involved the Hamptons was visually hokey (from the weird green screen beach house/weird over the shoulder twin shots to the boat scene). It was so distracting.

And I can definitely tell where the re-shots took place because SMG magically dropped 15 pounds everywhere lol (and I was laughing to myself when they had a continuity error with thin SMG visiting her lover and then jumping to baby fat SMG with her husband with different hair, outfit, and baby fat all without a time lapse). At least the re-shots weren’t horribly shot.

6. Amy Cringeneck says:

1) “Henry” is a terrible actor.

2) I don’t buy SMG as a stripper/ hooker. Period.

3) The boat scenes were incredibly low rent.

4) SMG doesn’t really have chemistry with either man, so I guess that is the argument for Bridget not really connecting with either man in her life?

5) Overall, the show was very poorly edited.

6) SO tired of mirror images by the end: we get it. They’re twins!

7. rcwblessed says:

I liked it, and I’m glad to see SMG back on TV.

8. Kaiulani says:

The blue screen background during the scene on the boat was so bad, but otherwise, I am hooked. It’s earned a series recording on my DVR.

9. R.D. says:

The show was decent/mediocre (Mediocre means moderately good/okay) I give it a C grade.

10. TaraMisu says:

Gotta agree on the FX. The boat scene? Laughable!! But overall I liked the show and I’ll be back for more.

11. Christina says:

I liked it but wasn’t jumping out of my seat. The twists they revealed though are enough to keep me watching.

12. Eva says:

I loved the premiere! I’m really intrigued by what Siobhan’s motives are. Why did she chose Bridget to be the one to witness her “suicide?” Or did she actually expect Bridget to take over her life? I can’t wait to see how all the mysteries presented tonight are resolved. I’m hoping Bridget and Siobhan’s husband, the wonderful Ioan Gruffudd, will fall in love for real. But, with Henry apparently being “redeemed” in episode 6, I don’t know if that will happen. This show definitely has real potential.

• katie says:

I think Siobhan knows her sister’s past and her current troubles. She figured Bridget would assume her identity which is exactly what happened. I am also thinking Bridget was involved in the death of that child in the photo and Siobhan wants revenge.

13. Elsa says:

Just a comment about the phone call at the end. In the long trailer I saw for the Ringer the guy on the phone call at the end also said “Bridget is still alive” to Siobhan, after he told her there was a problem. They obviously cut that last part out. I guess to leave a little mystery. But, it helps explain why Siobahn just hung up without hearing what the problem was.

14. DL says:

Overall, I thought the show was pretty good. The first 10-15 minutes were really rough, especially with the aforementioned boat scene, and the acoustics for the Bridget/Siobhan scenes didn’t sound right, making it obvious that each character had to be filmed separately. Took me out of the show a bit.
    However, after the boat scene, the show took off immediately. I thought SMG showed some very strong acting chops, and the rest of the cast was likeable if not immediately arresting. I generally give any new show a few episodes before making final judgment, but so long as Ringer can keep up what it had going in the later two thirds of the pilot, I think I’ll be tuning in regularly.

15. Kristin says:

There was a lot going on in that pilot; that being said, some of the pacing was off. They had to introduce a lot in a short time: the affair, her cold marriage with Andrew, all the insinuations that she was a bit-ca (miss you still, Xander!), etc. It was more about getting to know Siobhan than Bridget; I’d like to know more about Bridget. Stripper and addict with a heart of gold? Or just as much of a manipulative bit-ca as her sister, just better at hiding it? Hopefully, some of the flashback scenes will flesh things out better.

I gave it an A because I believe it has a ton of potential. This was the only new show I was really excited for this year, so I’m hoping after a busy pilot, the rest of the episodes settle in.

16. Edith says:

I was sceptical about the show at first, but the pilot was a really pleasant surprise. SMG/Bridget had a really good chemistry with her/Shiobhan’s husband.. better than with Henry. But I’m not sure if it’s the actors or the fact that SMG as Bridget played it so. I’m definitely going to continue watching it and I’m very excited to see Jason Dohring again.
    Oh and on the negative note: some scenes (like the boat scene) were very poorly done. Not natural at ALL.

17. Mr. M says:

I don´t know what other people found confusing… I really enjoyed the show. I never was a big fan of Buffy (Don´t kill me for being a bad nerd), but this show really seems like my kind of show.

18. Guy says:

One word sums up the pilot to me, Brilliant.

• ane says:

seriously brilliant, let the pilot was full of loose ends dozed off halfway through the episode, I’ll give it a try because the story seems to commitment but not make me laugh that is far from being brilliant lol.c

19. Fido says:

I wasn’t to impressed, not paying much attention, fast forwarding just to get it over with, then I caught the ending……. and am giving the pilot a better go as the ptb have’ve kinda displayed their intentions(?) for the show – could be interesting. :)

20. KMG says:

Thought the pilot was intriguing, and worth another look. I’m concerned that they said it would slow down after the fast pace of the pilot, since I didn’t think it was going all that fast. But, it certainly held my interest, enough to make me interested in seeing more.

I agree that the FX in the boat scenes were awful… looked like something out of the 60’s Batman series! I don’t usually mind when a show has mediocre graphics, especially since this is not a FX-centered show. But those were so bad they actually distracted me from the story.

21. Magically Suspicious says:

I was pleasantly surprised by how sucked in I was. I’d watch Kristoffer Polaha clip his toenails, but I’m actually going to LIKE watching this show, I’m pretty sure.

I do, however, hope we are done with the scenes showing both twins, because the FX were simply embarrassing. That boat scene? I was waiting for the cardboard bird on a very visible string/stick to coast through the background. It looked like a SNL skit where the whole point is to be overly bad.

And did I mention Kristoffer Polaha? He was amazing, as usual. He’s one of the most charming actors to come along in a while. I’m excited to see him play a less-than-charming character. He could sell sneakers to a snake.

22. MadMax says:

what do you mean ‘above average’? It was awesome and I am not a Buffy fan nor a SMG fan boi. Support cast is great….

23. SRG says:

I felt like I was watching a lifetime movie. You know…one of the Nora Roberts Lifetime Specials…

24. Doris says:

When she was in the Hamptons, I rather expected to see Ina Garten out on the beach getting a cookout together!

25. Chris says:

Overhyped, definitely. Great to see SMG back on tv, but I was deeply underwhelmed, it felt a tad predictable because so much had been published about the pilot already. I am now questioning if it’s SMG I loved or Buffy. Her characters seemed flat to me. I love Polaha and would like to see what happens for his character. I will watch another few episodes before I make my final judgement.

26. Tee says:

I thought it was decent. The boat fx were pretty terrible though, yes. I’d give it another couple of episodes and see how it goes. It probably helps that there isn’t anything at the same time (and much on Tuesdays in general) that I want to watch.

27. Katie says:

I went in with pretty low expectations- thought the promos were horrible. But SMG and the twin storyline was interesting enough for me to tune in. Loved it except for the cheesy boat scenery! And I am going to have trouble imagining SMG as a drug addict stripper without some back story scenes!

28. mandy says:

I liked it. It was pretty good. I learned a long time ago that you cant judge a series on its pilot alone. I bet it gets even better in the next few weeks.

29. nitemar says:

I liked it but gave it a B. Its too soon to rate it entiely on a single episode which I found a little confusing at first. I never watched Buffy, so this will be my first SMG work for me and she has good screen presence. It strikes me how the husband, let alone the very best friend nor the lover had any second of doubts or questioning towards the fake Sibohan. As I said, if this would hve ben a movie of te week, Id rate it a C, maybe a D, but will try b more objective after couple of more episodes. :)

30. O says:

I loved it! Sarah was awesome, I missed her so much. Can’t wait what’s coming!

31. Svenja says:

I liked it.
    Somehow I was kinda bored because the twists were already mentioned in spoilers or previews.
    SMG’s work was good and the second half of the episode was better.
    I wasn’t hooked, but I’ll keep watching. I think the lack of background music makes it awkward. It seemed so silent and weird at times. But the preview for the second episode looks pretty good.

32. JK says:

I thought the pilot was good but slow, so my concern is that they intend to slow it down… I guess a lot was revealed but it seemed a bit monotone. Looking forward to it picking up because I love the actors involved and I think this show has a lot of potential.

33. Justin says:

The first half was a mess. I think it’s safe to say this is one of the most over-rated and over hyped shows in recent years. It definitely has potential, and seemed to find its footing in the second half. But it felt cheap and very over-acted. Very choppy. I literally laughed out loud when the showed the guy who is after Bridged in the car. He looked like a bad villain out of season four of Heroes. It definitely needs work and is not as good as everyone is saying. I sort of think critics are giving it unwarranted praise simply because they dont want to see SMG fail.

34. matt says:

I am on the fence, it really didn’t pull me in, and the cheesy effects and at times totally obvious problems with having the twins talk to eachother was distracting. However, I love most of the cast and the hitchcockian feel of it. I am not a big SMG fan, I think her range is very limited, but it was definitely a good distraction.

35. mary says:

It was an ok pilot. I was somewhat hooked at the end. I’m just afraid that if it doesn’t improve, once the fall season is in full swing, it might get lost on tivo.

36. Buffy Fan says:

The pilot was slow and the special effects were super cheesy! With tha being said, the ending was a nice twist. I will tune in next week. I just hope that they pump a little more money into the green screen.

37. Jamie says:

I wasn’t sure what I’d think of this show when I first heard about the pickup. But, I decided to give it a shot last night since I do love SMG. This show has me hooked and was a lot better than I expected. Before I knew it, the episode was over! Can’t wait for next week’s episode. :)

38. Jared says:

The show was horrible. I turned it off after the first 15 minutes when you could tell that EVERYTHING was green screened. The scene in the speed boat was bad, but they green screened them in the house as well…green screened in a house!
    The show was terrible

39. Vittoria says:

I am not disappointed by the pilot, it has done its job, conveyed my enthusiasm and showed the premises for a story that, if wrote as it should be is interesting and captivating. Of course there are things to fix (the twin scenes were dreadful because of the effects), but overall i would rate it a solid 7 1/2. Plus I missed SMG and even if she isnt the greatest actress on tv i’ve been glad to have her again on my screen.

40. Joanne says:

I think so much of the story that we saw in the pilot had been hyped in the promos and in the interviews ahead of time that there wasn’t a lot of “wow” moments. The pilot pretty much told the story that we’ve been hearing about for months and I(hopefully) is setting up for more riveting story lines later. I’ll give it another few episodes to see if it can hook me.

41. jenny says:

Just stop with the bad special effects please !! The plot itself worked. Sarah Michelle Gellar rocked and can definitely pull off two distinct personalities.

The second half of the episode was far superior and I hope that is the feel of the rest of the series. If so, I will continue to watch.

42. lacey says:

I wish CW would post the episode since Hulu can’t

43. Cscs says:

I love smg and liked the pilot but felt it had same story as abc’s the lying game but with adults.

44. aquarius1271 says:

I think this thing with putting SMG on a pedestal should end or the show will seriously suffer from this syndrome. The girl was never a competent actress to begin with, she was just lucky for having been cast as Buffy back in those days. I could never stand her coarse voice, monotone delivery and ugly grimacing. She just was not adequate and that’s why her film career crashed.

Here on Ringer, I remembered why I was so bored with her as soon as the show started. I think during the first 15 minutes or so, right until her arrival in New York the actress was terrible. Fortunately she began to pick up steam once the plot started to thicken and the fish out of water elements of the story surfaced. Her future on this series remais to be seen in my opinion. Apart from her acting the show strangely benefited from the underlying noir elements of the premise. All those terrible effects and outdated and slow exposition were probably conscious choices on the part of the filmmakers. The boat scene had to be intentionally made to look like a scene with back projection from a 50s Hitchcock movie otherwise all the tecnical crew better go hide somewhere!

• Kalie says:

Are you kidding me? A big reason “Buffy” had such a cult following was SMG’s portrayal of the character. She was absolutely charming and knocked it out of the park every time, whether it was a comedic or dramatic scene. They gave her the nickname ‘Jimmy Stewart’ in the writer’s room because they knew that whatever scene they wrote for her, she’d master it. Also, her film career hardly crashed. She took a couple of years off because she became a mother. She has several box office hits under her belt.

45. Carrie says:

A lot of people are complaining about the boat scene, but I think they’re missing the point. The way they filmed it was very purposeful. They’re trying to give this show an old movie vibe, that’s why a lot of the scenes looked old-fashioned. This show was originally intended for CBS, so I’m sure they had a much bigger budget than they would’ve had if the pilot was shot for The CW. You could tell that the look and tone of each scene was very specific.

46. Aprilcot26 says:

I thought it was pretty decent. In that first scene, all I wanted was for SMG to beat the life out of that guy instead of run away until I realized that would be the Buffy response. :)

47. coalhouse says:

I like the premise a lot, and I like her performance. But the execution was a little “meh” for me. I’ll keep watching because I like ambitious, complex story arcs and I like SMG, but I was definitely not wowed. At times it felt a lot more like a Lifetime movie than a show that has staying power.

48. Ashleigh says:

I guess I’m in the minority because I like the show. I guess I’m looking at it as TV and nothing more than what it is, entertainment. I thought the pilot was great and I was a little shocked at Sibohan still being alive. P.S. I think Sibohan hired the hit man to kill her sister to further cover up her fake suicide.