Fall TV Preview

Ringer: 6 Things To Know Before Tuning In

Sarah Michelle Gellar’s long-awaited return to TV, as the star of The CW’s Ringer, has arrived, and by now you’ve no doubt memorized 100 times over the plot of this twin sister-fueled noir thriller. But what haven’t you heard about the potentially addictive series?

Here are a few key things you should be aware of before tuning in this Tuesday at 9/8c.

TVLine’s Fall TV Survival Guide: News, Previews, Scoops, Videos and More!

Ringer Is Not Buffy | That’s not to say this new CW drama is not entertaining in its own right, but the differences are über-important for devotees of the slayer to know going in. “Those are big shoes to fill, so we hope we do Sarah and the Buffy legacy justice,” executive producer Eric Charmelo explains. That said, the Ringer cast isn’t feeling too much pressure to match Gellar’s memorable turn as the Chosen One. “There’s been plenty of time that’s passed since Buffy,” Ioan Gruffudd (who plays the husband of Gellar’s steely Siobhan) tells us. “You can’t even compare the two, really.”

This Story Is Not Black-and-White | “We’re a neo-noir thriller, but at the end of the day, it’s a character study about twin sisters and the nature of sibling rivalry,” Charmelo explains. Post-pilot, viewers will be quick to assume that Gellar’s Bridget is the “good” twin, Siobhan the “bad” — but always be wary of assumptions. Says Charmelo, “Since we’re playing with duplicity and identity, you never know who’s the mark and who is the femme fatale. These are two sisters who kind of vacillate in regard to what is right and what is wrong; it’s about moral ambiguity.” As Gellar points out, “I never see a character I play as a bad egg. When I made Cruel Intentions, I thought [puppetmaster] Kathryn was the hero of the whole piece! Nobody – well, most humans – are inherently evil. Ideally I would love you to not know which sister you’re rooting for.”

SMG Fans Can Count on Double the Pleasure | As indicated above, just because Siobhan goes missing in the pilot, Gellar will have plenty of double-duty to pull. “When we start the series, we’re going to be telling Bridget’s story. But we’re playing with time and perspective, so we’ll definitely see Siobhan’s side as well,” says exec producer Pam Veasey. As Gellar herself told us, “We’re doing some of it from one twin’s perspective, some from the other, and you’re going to see flashbacks that explain how they got to where they are… I want to make sure that the story for both of these girls comes to life.”

Fall TV First Impression: Sarah Michelle Gellar’s Ringer Twin Piques Our Interest

These Twisted Sisters Come Loaded With Twists | The pilot episode of Ringer boasts perhaps three episodes’ worth of shocks — at least one of which has yet to be spilled in any teaser clip or promo — and there are no plans to cut back on the jaw-droppers moving forward. “Things happen at a break-neck pace and we’re just going to try to live up to the bar set by the pilot episode,” teases Charmelo. “Occasionally we’ll end on a big moment and the following week you’ll come back to it, while other times we’ll take a break. But we’re really just trying to give the audience what we call the gasp moment.”

Baze Is No More | Life Unexpected fans are in for a shock when they first encounter Kristopher Polaha’s Ringer alter ego — aka the man Siobhan is having an affair with. “Henry is not Baze at all,” Polaha says with a laugh. “He’s a very different creature, which is fun.” And that’s not the only reason the actor is thrilled to be a part of this buzzy series. “Knowing Sarah was attached was a big draw for me, because I think people are excited to see her come back to television,” he confesses.

You’ve Got to Stay Tuned | Why? Because “just when you think you’ve figured everything out, we’re going to throw a wrench into the equation and take it on a completely different tangent,” executive producer Nicole Snyder reveals. “That keeps things fresh.”

Now, the important question: Are you ready for Ringer?

Comments (32)

• I can’t wait! I’ve been hoping for SMG’s big return for what seems like ages!! Now all we need is some guest appearances by certain Scooby Gang members :)

Comment by Erin @Epicurious Erin – September 13, 2011 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If they got members of the Scooby Gang to guest star, I would probably squeal so hard my chest would hurt. This would be especially true if they got Anthony Head to guest star as some sort of father figure to Bridget or Siobhan.

Comment by E – September 13, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • E, that would be AWESOME!! Miss Tony on TV. I know he does Brit shows, though.

Comment by lorna – September 13, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What I really hope is that the show can retain its beautiful look from the pilot. CBS spent a lot of money on the production design, and producing ABC Studios at first didn’t’ want to do the show for The CW, because they thought that they couldn’t afford it on the level that the pilot offers.
    I surely hope the show doesn’t lose any of its production values after the pilot. Maybe CBS helped pay for it, as The CW is a subsidiary.

Comment by Lambsilencer – September 13, 2011 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CW isn’t a subsidiary of CBS, it’s a joint venture between CBS and Time Warner.

Comment by AP – September 13, 2011 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh…I read the other plot twist in another blog. Pissed me off so much! And it’s such a good twist too!! Can’t wait for this tonight…

Comment by Allan – September 13, 2011 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh come on. This show won’t last past one year. The premise is stupid. It’ll be boring as hell unless you’re a SMG maniac. And even then you might still be bored. All this critic love for SMG borders on asinine for such a crappy looking show.

Comment by jackbo – September 13, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah…I’m pretty sure they said that about the show about a plane crashing on a magic island…I wouldn’t be so quick to judge

Comment by Erin @EpicuriousErin – September 13, 2011 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So you don’t like her or the concept of the show and yet you took the time to click on the link and comment on it? Because, THAT wasn’t a waste of your precious time! If you aren’t interested then go away.

Comment by Oh Really? – September 13, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m definitely tuning in tonight. It’ll be great to see SMG back. Hope they can keep up the interest and suspense after the pilot.

Comment by Kay – September 13, 2011 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. It has been a while since we have seen a good mystery plot played out on the CW. I hope this hits the mark.

Comment by tvfan – September 13, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll give this show a chance but I already knew it wasn’t Buffy.

Comment by Guess – September 13, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’m gonna have to wait until tonight before I know how to pronounce ‘Siobhan’. C-O-bin? Show-ban? Chopin?

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 13, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m assuming it’s Sha-VON…like the contestant on American Idol a few seasons back. Pardon me, I need to go get a life now.

Comment by Aprilcot26 – September 13, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s ‘shi-vohn’ with the emphasis on the last syllable. It’s Irish

Comment by Kylie – September 13, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Siobhan is the Irish form of Joan and it’s pronounced Sha-VON (as previously posted). Also, Sinead is the Irish form of Jane (which has nothing to do with the article, but thought I’d throw that in there since we’re talking about names). So glad to see SMG back on TV…can wait for tonight’s premiere!

Comment by Kelly – September 13, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • oops…meant “can’t” wait for tonight’s premiere

Comment by Kelly – September 13, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know people are going to flame me for this but I have been pronouncing it “Cinnabon”. I’m not here for a lesson in Irish name pronouncation.

Comment by Butters – September 13, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t appreciate Ioan’s rude comment about Buffy.

Comment by Sivat – September 13, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What did he say that was rude? And how do you pronounce Ioan? E-own? I-own? Oohn?

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 13, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it’s “Yo-In”.

Comment by Alyssa – September 13, 2011 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I feel like people give their kids these names because they hate everyone.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 13, 2011 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think its a fairly common Welsh name to be honest.

Comment by Ashley – September 13, 2011 09:55 AM PDT
          • It is a fairly common name, just not in Ammurica, therefore it is WRONG. ;)

Comment by Liv – September 13, 2011 11:31 AM PDT
          • Yeah..shame on his parents not realizing that he might be a talented actor with the opportunity to work in America. And therefore his traditional Welsh name wouldn’t be acceptable here :)

Comment by Ashely – September 13, 2011 05:07 PM PDT
    • What was rude? That he said plenty of time has passed? Plenty of time HAS passed. It’s been the better part of a decade. Or did you take offense with “You can’t really compare the two?” One was about a girl who slayed vampires, demons and Hellgods (oh Glory, my favorite villain ever) and the other is about twins living doulbe lives.

Comment by What?! – September 13, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t Wait! :D

Comment by Allie – September 13, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its pronounce sha-vorn or shi-vorn depending on the american accent

Comment by chloe – September 13, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait. I will be turning off Law and Order when this baby comes on!

Yes, I still watch the Mothership!

Comment by Ashley – September 13, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone is going on about the actors in this series being so great. . . Admittedly I liked Gruffud’s film work as both Mr. Fantastic and Sir Lancelot.

Still the reason I am psyched for this show is because Jay Faerber, the genius behind both Noble Causes and Dynamo 5 is going to be one of the writers. I think even without the sci fi elements he will tell a great story with interesting characters.

Comment by Adam – September 13, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s like “Sha-von” Well as a huge Buffy fan who has had this name my whole life I think it’s pretty cool so see SMG play a character with my name. And no my parents weren’t “wrong” They were honoring our Irish heritage and spelling it the correct Gaelic way. Yeah on the first day of school the teacher always called me “Sio-Bon” but I got over. I much prefer to have it spelled it the right way then what parents do now where they throw in an extra “y” or random vowels just to make their kid’s name original. And really have you not see the promos for “Ringer”? They say the name like 14 times. Pay attention.

Comment by Siobhan – September 13, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sounds awesome and I fear the plot may be too intelligent to last. most people won’t get it because it’s not predictable. I really hope I am wrong.

Comment by guest – September 13, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post