The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Week

Coming to your screen this week is the official onset of the Fall TV season, featuring the return of Sarah Michelle Gellar and more than a dozen other big premieres. (Also on tap: nine finales for exiting summertime fare). As but a supplement to the fresh features and original reporting TVLine has coming your way, here are 36 programs to keep on your radar.

4 pm Anderson (Syndicated) |
Hang with Mr. Cooper as his new daytime talker launches!
7 pm Monday Night Football (ESPN) | Season opener: Are you reading for some… Dolphins to get pounded by the Patriots?
8 pm The Lying Game (ABC Family) | New time slot alert! Emma frets about running for homecoming queen as Sutton. Hmm, this vote could get get as sticky as the 2008 presidential election.
8 pm Bachelor Pad (ABC) | Who’s about to win $250,000 to spend on spray tanning?
8 pm Eureka (Syfy) | Carter eyes two mysteries: a melted cow, and what’s next for him and Allison.
9 pm The Closer (TNT) | Summer finale: While her team investigates the shooting of a deputy sheriff, Brenda herself hopes to dodge a bullet as the judge decides if the “Shootin’ Newton” lawsuit will proceed. True story: The final scene found me Tweeting, “Holy ******* ****.”
9 pm Warehouse 13 (Syfy) | Pete enters Jane’s memories to look into the Regent murders.
9 pm Two and a Half Men (CBS) | A repeat of Sheen’s final turn as Charlie. (He left the show…?)
10 pm Rizzoli & Isles (TNT) | Summer finale: Can a serial killer be trusted to help the ladies investigate the behind-bars murders of a young convict?
10 pm Weeds (Showtime) | Nancy tags along with Andy and Doug for a weekend in the East Hamptons.

Lost‘s Rebecca Mader Previews Her Alphas Bit, Geeks Out Over Fringe

8 pm 90210 (The CW) |
Season 4 premiere: Naomi struggles with her non-Queen B status at college, Annie gets surprising news, Dixon looks for a place to live, and so much more.
9 pm Ringer (The CW) | Buffy‘s Sarah Michelle Gellar has the two lead roles in this edgy drama, playing a troubled young woman who co-opts her MIA twin sister’s life. An absurd amount of handsome men co-star. TVLIne’s full preview can be found here.
10 pm Sons of Anarchy (FX) | Pulp film icon Danny Trejo makes his debut in the storyline that threatens to destroy SAMCRO forever.
10 pm Parenthood (NBC) | The Season 3 premiere finds Kristina very pregnant, Sarah celebrating her 40th birthday by crossing paths with Mark (Jason Ritter), Amber scoping out apartments, Adam pondering a business deal with Crosby, and Julia getting some wild ideas about the mom-to-be coffee girl at work. Also: Someone gets arrested.
11:30 pm Awkward (MTV) | Special time slot alert! And it’s Jenna’s 16th birthday! Hmm, what’s in this box? Ooh, humiliation. And in this one…? Mortification!

Fall TV Preview: Read TVLine’s First Impressions of 16 New Series

8 pm Survivor: South Pacific (CBS) |
Here’s the cast — plus returnees Coach and Ozzy.
8 pm America’s Got Talent (NBC) | Season finale: The winner nets $1 million and a show in Vegas.
8 pm Melissa & Joey (ABC Family) | The two-part season finale features angst over Lennox attending a school dance after-party, then a game-changing shift in Joe’s financial status.
9 pm America’s Next Top Model (The CW) | The “all-star” Season 17 trots out 14 former contestants; Nicki Minaj guest-judges.
9:30 pm Big Brother (CBS) | And we have a winner!
10 pm Necessary Roughness (USA Network) | Season finale: Dani takes on a surprising new client, Nico has a crisis of conscience, and T.K. faces his rival in the playoffs.
10 pm Up All Night (NBC) | Here’s a sneak preview of the new Christina Applegate/Will Arnett/Maya Rudolph comedy, which will normally air Wednesdays at 8. TVLine’s First Impression preview can be found here, though a new, stitched-in workplace change — to a daytime talk show hosted by Rudolph’s Ava — has dialed down the laughs a few notches.
10 pm Damages (DirecTV) | Season finale: Ellen is furious when Patty violates their agreement; Erickson faces off with Boorman; a life hangs in the balance.

Check Out TVLine’s Complete Calendar of Fall Premieres!

8 pm The Vampire Diaries (The CW) |
Season premiere: It’s Elena’s 18th birthday — see who brought the cake.
8 pm Wipeout (ABC) | The two-hour season finale finds blind-date couples braving an Italian food-themed obstacle course.
9 pm The Secret Circle (The CW) | Life Unexpected‘s Britt Robertson plays an orphaned teen who moves to a seaside town populated by young and attractive witches — herself apparently included. TVLine’s First Impression can be found here.
10 pm It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX) | The outrageous comedy returns with the gang trying to “Pretty Woman” the disgusting hooker Frank plans to propose to. Subsequent outings include a riff on kiddie beauty pageants and a trip to the Jersey Shore (underbelly).
10:30 pm Archer (FX) | This little three-week run of episodes kicks off with Malory hiring an adventurer (voiced by Seinfeld‘s Patrick Warburton) to find her MIA fiancé.

Kevin Williamson on How ‘Maybe’ a Vampire DiariesSecret Circle Crossover Could Happen

8 pm Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Cartoon Network) |
Season 4 finds Mon Calamari on the cusp of a civil war… with cocktail sauce?
8 pm 2011 ALMA Awards (NBC) | Eva Longoria and George Lopez host this tribute to Hispanic achievements in the entertainment industry.
9 pm Fringe (Fox) | Before Season 4 arrives next week, have your mind blown anew with this repeat of last May’s finale.
10 pm Haven (Syfy) | The episode title kinda says it all: “Who, What, Where, Wendigo?”

8 pm Creative Arts Emmy Awards (ReelzChannel) |
Before TV’s biggest night arrives on Sunday, tune into this broadcast of its second-biggest night. (Spoiler alert!)
9 pm Criminal Minds (CBS) | Still smarting that the Wonder Woman reboot died on the vine? One, don’t be; it was rather ghastly. Two, here’s Adrianne Palicki going all Natural Born Killers on us.
9 pm Doctor Who (BBC America) | A mysterious hotel plays host to the team’s darkest fears — including but not limited to £6 mini-bar Smarties.

Emmy Awards Preview: Who Did TVLine Readers Pick to Win the Major Categories?

8 pm Primetime Emmy Awards (Fox) |
Jane Lynch hosts, presumably sans her Glee tracksuit (for once). Major nominees can be found here. Plan a date with TVLine that night, as we live-blog the event, post breaking news and videos from the red carpet, and deliver the winners’ best backstage soundbites.
10 pm Breaking Bad (AMC) | Not eligible for any Emmys this year is this otherwise annually acclaimed drama. In fact, this week Walt is also a no-show for his son’s 16th birthday party! That’s… troubling.

Which of the above is must-see TV for you? And by all means, hit the comments to politely share tune-in recommendations of your own.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Sivat says:

Excited for Ringer, Vampire Diaries, and Secret Circle. I friggin’ love the CW!!

2. kevin says:

PARENTHOOD. Season Three will be better than the first two.

3. Becca says:

Really looking forward to Up All Night!

4. Lauren says:

Okay, that wasn’t cool. I read ‘Fringe’, got really excited, then read it was a repeat. Damn it.

• Cortexifan says:

yeah, but it’s the finale again before the new season starts.
      I will always watch a re-run of Fringe on TV no matter what else is on.
      Fringe is the best show on TV right now.
      Fringe Rocks! And I can’t wait for Sep 23rd.

5. stevie says:

could she BE any more prettier than in this photo?

6. nitemar says:

Finally, here we go fall! Ready and excited for Ringer and The Closer summer finale, but it is coming back in November..not bad. :)

7. Plum says:

Mm. That is a weave, girl. But if you’re gonna rock a weave it may as well be a Little Mermaid/Tangled super bouffant thang, Ms. Buffy.

8. JD says:

always sunny is the best show on television.

9. sam says:

What about the Damages season finale??

10. Kait says:

Someone forgot to add the best show on the freaking planet to this list: SONS OF ANARCHY. Last week’s premiere was amazing. I am dying to see what happens this week.

11. znachki says:

Matt: I’m so glad someone is keeping track of all of this. It used to be so much easier, only the 3 networks, and pretty much everything started the same week – right after Labor Day. (Giving away my age there!) If you weren’t doing this, I’d miss half the stuff I wanted to check out. Thanks.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Thank you for appreciating. Since next week is so ridiculous with a bazillion more premieres, the TVLine-Up may go DAILY (for that week and that week ONLY). I haven’t decided yet. (People are so abrasive to change, LOL.)

• Mike says:

Slightly related, I heard TiVo has unveiled/ will soon unveil the 4 tuner DVR. Hard to believe that television programming has evolved to a point where something like this doesn’t sound unreasonable! The price of the thing? Very unreasonable! ($500 lol)

• Jenny says:

Yes, thank you so much for posting these weekly. As a college student this list along with all the fall previews have really helped me decide what I’m going to be able to watch this season.

12. chris says:

I cant wait for Ringer!!! I’ll sample Up All Night and H8R (Jake the Bachelor is in the 1st episode). May watch 90210 premiere. Havent watched the show since season 2 finale.

13. scooterbeanbag says:

I hope Ringer lives up to expectations. I won’t have a problem deleting it from my DVR if it ends up being lame though. Sorry SMG!

14. CD says:

Lookes like I am going to be busy again real busy the next few weeks, lucky for me though is that I have two DVRS in my house and each can record two at the same time so that should help me a lot.

15. Amanda says:

Already have the dvr set for Anderson although I’m not interested in the topic of his first show. Looking forward to his excursion into daytime!

So ready for Sunny!

16. Ashley says:

Looking forward to the “Rizzoli and Isles” and “Necessary Roughness” finales (has “Necessary Roughness” been renewed?) and so excited for “Up All Night”.

• Justin says:

Yes it has.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Actually, no, it has not been picked up for Season 2 yet. SUITS was renewed (and WHITE COLLAR), but no word on NR yet.

• Shana says:

Has it been very well received? I LOVE “Necessary Roughness,” and hope it doesn’t have the same fate as “Protector.” And what about “Against the Wall”??

Thanks for doing this, btw. I realized I was THISCLOSE to missing “Ringer.”

17. J says:

Uverse already allows you to record 4 shows at once and you don’t have to pay for your dvr/receiver.

18. Magically Suspicious says:

Sarah Michelle Who? I’m just thrilled to see Kristoffer Polaha back on my screen.

19. Jenn says:

I cannot wait for Ringer and the return of Vampire Diaries!!! Gonna be a great week on TV :)

20. K2 says:

Matt, LOVE the “Hanging with Mr Cooper” joke! Are we showing our age?

21. Carrie says:

Wow, SMG looks absolutely gorgeous in that photo. I can’t wait to watch “Ringer”. It sounds awesome.

22. Renee says:

Looking forward to Monday Night Football and Ringer. And FYI…I have absolutely no issues with “An absurd amount of handsome men co-stars.” Just saying…

23. Kat says:

This is such a relief! TV is coming back just in time, my DVR is so empty/full of crap. Thanks Matt, esp for the additions, etc. I am very nervous about Damages and I don’t know anyone else watching it.

24. Gerald says:

Looking forward to Ringer, Archer and It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Ringer looks great and addictive and its the return of SMG! Just in case anyone is wondering that pic is from the third episode…..
    Matt, have you seen the second episode of any of the new series, e.g: Ringer?
    Thanks for keeping track of everything, I love this one. I would also love to read your weekly reviews of shows like in Tv fanatic… just saying.

25. Chris says:

I really hope Parenthood picks up even more viewers this year. It’s such a fantastic, well written show… I’d hate to see it end too soon.

26. Justin says:

Looking forward to The Closer, Rizzoli & Isles, and Necessary Roughness finales this week. I will also be watching Eureka, Warehouse 13, Alphas and Haven. Next week, Fall TV!! Woo-hoo!

27. JB Smooove says:

I’m crossing my fingers righ along with you Kevin.

28. Sparky says:

My first week without Suits :( Well if I have to choose, Ringer, Vampire Diaries, Secret Circle and Up All Night and maybe Parenthood if I have nothing better to watch or do…

29. Diane says:

Just finished marking the fall schedule – then counted my marks – yikes! 42 My dvr will be smoking. Good thing I won’t like some I sample and some will be taken care of for me (canceled). Otherwise I will grow roots on the couch!!

30. Em says:

Will be tuning in for Ringer & vampire diaries :)