Exclusive

Nikita Preview, Part 2! Birkhoff's Big Moment, Percy's Escape, 'Mikita's Obstacle, and More

TVLine recently went on a rogue operation of its own. The mission: To track down Nikita showrunner Craig Silverstein and extract as much Season 2 intel as possible. As reward for our efforts, we came away with not one but two stashes of secrets for the sophomore cycle (premiering Friday, Sept. 23, at 8/7c).

Here, we present Part 2 of our interview with the man behind The CW’s action-drama, in which we learn what’s in store for the beloved Birkhoff, colleagues-turned-foes Amanda and Percy, Michael’s ex (!), and more.

Nikita Season 2 Preview, Part 1: Showrunner on the Big Brawl, ‘Mikita’ Happiness, and More Owen

TVLINE | Fans are eager to learn Amanda’s (Melinda Clarke) backstory. Any plans to introduce that?
Yeah, we’re talking about how to pull that back. This storyline has actually come up a little earlier than I thought, but right now we’re actually talking about an episode that will examine the history of Division itself, which Amanda would fold into, obviously.

TVLINE | Amanda/Nikita faceoffs are always pretty epic. Are there any planned for this first batch of episodes?
I don’t think Amanda and Nikita come face-to-face in the first run — Amanda and Michael do, in a strange way, in the first episode. Actually, I take that back: Amanda and Nikita do have a conversation with each other, though they’re not face-to-face, in the third episode…. I’ll just put it that way.

Nikita Exclusive: David Keith Is [Spoiler's] Long-Lost Dad!

TVLINE | Might we see a bit of backstory for Percy (Xander Berkeley), as well?
That actually is a story that is fun and we’ve wanted to tell for a while, it’s just about finding how we can tell all of these backstories and not put a forward-moving story on hold to do so. It’s about finding how they can be essential to what’s happening in the present day. I could tell that story at any time, but the hard part is making it flow.

TVLINE | Speaking of Percy, what is his deal this season? How long are we going to see him imprisoned in that Hannibal Lecter-esque box?
You’re definitely going to see him plotting his escape; the question is how. But he is putting his ducks in a row, for sure.

TVLINE | But if Percy gets out, it seems safe to assume that he would need to start living a life eerily similar to that of his foe, Nikita.
And wouldn’t that be cool to see…? [Laughs]

Hot Video: Nikita and Alex’s Season 2 Showdown

TVLINE | And then there is Birkhoff (Aaron Stanford): Fans are dying to see him out in the field, working more closely with Michael and Nikita.
There are a lot of different colors to Birkhoff this season. You’re definitely going to see him out on the field. I won’t reveal what actually happens, but for me, Birkhoff almost steals the show in the premiere.

TVLINE | Is he as kickass on missions as he is sitting at a computer?
We have shown a little bit that he has some fighting skills. He’s trained like everyone else in Division, so we’ll see a little more of that. It’s funny, there are two characters who we really don’t see outside of the Division interior a lot — Birkhoff and Amanda. I actually don’t know that we’ve actually gotten Amanda outside outside — I don’t think Melinda Clarke’s ever shot an exterior scene! This season she’s stepping outside of Division a bit, too, but I don’t think she’s actually seen sunlight yet. [Laughs]

Nikita or Chuck: What Will You Watch Live, Fridays at 8?

TVLINE | You say you’re going to let Michael and Nikita experience some happiness together for awhile, but then you’ve got Helena Mattsson coming in as Michael’s ex, Cassandra. What impact does she has on ‘Mikita’?
She has a pretty big impact. Cassandra is someone from Michael’s past — a past mission. We’ve previously seen that Nikita has had to go on what we call “Josephine missions,” where her goal was not to destroy but to seduce, and we’ll find out that sometimes male agents go on those, too. Michael participated in one and engaged a relationship under a cover with Cassandra, who was an asset that he was trying to turn — the trophy wife-first lady of a Belarusian dictator. Division’s plan was to take him down and replace him with a double so that America could control the policy of Belarus — like an evil version of Dave [Laughs]  — so Michael had to seduce her. In the present day story, she is put into jeopardy because the double gets out of control and Michael feels so guilty, he has to go out and save her.

TVLINE | Will she be a problem for Michael and Nikita for very long?
She does have an arc….

TVLINE | Now, about those black boxes… They have been such a catalyst for two seasons, but is there a plan in place to conclude that storyline before the series ends — whenever that might be? And might a new obstacle eventually be introduced?
Yes, what you said. [Laughs]

1. sammy says:

so excited for season 2 – i can’t wait to see it unfold! go mikita!

2. Nikki says:

Yay! I didn’t think I could get more excited for this upcoming season of Nikita, but I was wrong! More Birkoff? HELL YEAH! More Amanda? Awesome! I can’t wait for these “interactions” between Amanda and the two counterparts of Mikita. I’m even excited to see Percy in the Hannibal Lector box. LOL. I don’t know if I’ll like the Cassandra arc, but learning more about Michael’s past always makes me happy. he’s an INCREDIBLE character so delving more into what he’s done is exciting. Plus with the writers, the actors, and under Craig’s amazing lead, how can any of these stories be anything BUT good?

Thank you Meg for another amazing piece and for all the great scoop!

3. Rachel says:

This scoop is all fab Meg!!! Thanks sooo much!!!
    But i am soooo hoping its gonna shift to Nikita sl’s and arcs soon! I mean REALLY… im HOPING this “cassandra” sl will be good for Mikita at the end.. But didn’t we already have Michael being “guilty” about another LI (his past wife) the entire first season?? Feel a bit… meh, to me. So, im just hoping Nikita’s character will play a big role in that sl, even though the arc isnt technically hers. AGAIN. SIGH….

And everything else, sounds great! excited for the birkoff stuff! YAYYY!!!

4. JJ says:

So pumped about Birkhoff. Lovin’ the old team getting back together. I still remember Aaron in the cancelled series, Traveler, w/ Matt Bomer. 2x Yum.

5. Sabrina says:

Move on Belarusan lady. MOVE on. ;)

6. Liis says:

The more they’ll try to pull Nikita and Michael apart the stronger they will stand together hand in hand. Unbreakable Badass Soulmates Forever. “Move on Belarusian lady. MOVE on.”

7. pipapopa4 says:

Oh hell to the yes!! Niktia season 2 is gonna be incredible!! Absolutely love that we’re gonna get more backstory on Michael, Shane West is sooo underused, he is a terrific actor! The Cassandra SL seems interesting, knowing how S1 unfolded itself, with all the love and hate and eventually (ofcourse)the love between Nikita and Michael triumphing, I’m certain Craig and co will make sure that Mikita stays intact at the end of the season. No relationship is perfect, so it would me a little naive to think that Mikita’s life is gonna all sunshine.
    I can’t wait to see more of Nikita’s backstory as well! Maggie Q is fricken awsome. Nikita equals topqualty TV. Thats all;)

• Jamie says:

OMG, thank you so much. I agree with this entire post and have been saying it all along. I don’t get why some fans are freaking out about Cassandra’s arc. It’s naive and unrealistic to expect them to never have ANY obstacles the entirety of the series.

8. Mm says:

oh that cassandra better nt break Mikita apart i hope Nikita kicks hr ass if she messes up w hr man. Mikita til the end

9. Ivy says:

Can’t wait for the season to start…Mikita kicking ass together, Birkhoff joining the badass soulmates, more Amanda..wiii Sept 23 can’t come soon enough…And in respects to Miss Cassandra, all I can say is repeat whar Sabrina said “MOVE ON Belarussian Lady” Shoo, shoo, away you go! ;)

10. Heather says:

Thanks for the interview. I absolutely cannot wait until the season begins. I’m so happy they’ve chosen to explore Birkhoff’s character a little more and actually have story lines about him. We really need to get Nikita’s story as well. I’m sure it will be amazing. I definitely want to see more Michael!…so glad he and Nikita are on the same side now.

11. Simone says:

Thank you so much, Meg!

12. jen says:

Thank you so much for the scoop Meg. We shall see how this all unfolds…hopefully bringing Mikita closer? Lolol one can hope (like me!)…Sigh. I knew the drama was coming, I’m half prepared for it. I just hope it’s not too damaging to the characters since they are characters in very high emotion/extreme circumstances. It’s diff for them then it is for average characters. Anyway we shall see. I’m excited for them thinking about going into Amanda’s backstory, hopefully going more into Nikita’s backstory to create an arch of itself?, and then more Birkhoff. Wahoo! And ofc last but not least…love my BBs Mikita. Hopefully they’ll make it through all this. Thanks for the scoop Meg.

13. LJ says:

Wow, looks like a lot coming our way in Nikita S2, thanks so much for the great article Meg!

14. Ann says:

Thanks so much! (:

15. rinks says:

wow……… Michael had to seduce a woman…. It’s sound very very exciting…

16. Jamie says:

Thank God Michael’s getting a story instead of Alex. I’m so excited for this, but I don’t see this Cassandra chick as anything even remotely resembling a threat. She doesn’t stand a chance next to Nikita, not even his type. Can’t wait for the premiere!

17. Andi says:

HELL YEAH MORE BIRKHOFF!!! WOOT!

18. Veronica says:

I second what Sabrina said.