Exclusive

Nikita Season 2: Showrunner Previews the Big Brawl, 'Mikita' Happiness, and More Owen

As TVLine’s Season 2 preview interview with Nikita showrunner Craig Silverstein came to a close, it became apparent that he had given us so much scoop, we’d have to divide our piece in two — which, let’s face it, is pretty great.

So, here is Part 1 of our talk with the mastermind behind The CW’s sometimes literally kickass action-drama, in which we learn what lies ahead for Maggie Q’s titular character, her love and fellow rogue spy Michael (played by Shane West), an off-the-rails Alex (Lyndsy Fonseca), returning fan fave Owen (Devon Sawa), and more. (Part 2 of the scoopapalooza can now be found here.)

TVLINE | Where does the start of Nikita‘s second season find the characters? Does it pickup immediately where Season 1 left off?
It starts two or three months after the finale. Nikita and Michael are still getting their bearings on the road, living hand-to-mouth in a very low-rent, fugitive style. Alex meanwhile is as secure as she can be in her new role [on the inside]. She’s not really a Division agent and wants to be very clear about that with Amanda.

Nikita Exclusive: David Keith Is [Spoiler’s] Long-Lost Dad!

TVLINE | You’ve said that the theme of the coming season is each character’s search for some semblance of home. Is that something that’s attainable? And will we see anyone find success in that venture?
Yes, you will. But for all of the characters involved, what they end up with is not what they expect. They’re looking for a certain thing and they end up somewhere that is the right place, but they couldn’t have known that at the beginning of the season.

TVLINE | Do each of these journeys take the full season? Or is there an arc planned for the back-end of the year?
Right now, it’s full-season. Michael and Nikita can’t even talk about going off together and starting a new life because they’ll always be looking over their shoulders; Division will find them. In Nikita’s eyes, they have to end Division and Oversight once and for all so that she and Michael know that no one is chasing them. And Michael has a little bit more fire under him to right the past wrongs on the black box.

Exclusive First Look Video: Nikita and Alex’s Season 2 Showdown

TVLINE | How long do you plan on pitting Alex and Nikita against one another? Should fans brace themselves for the worst?
No, it actually moves like a wave. The Alex/Nikita relationship has a natural ebb and flow to it this season. It’s not as if they are against each other…period. Things will expand and contract.

TVLINE | What about the fight between the two in the premiere? You’ve said they don’t hate each other, but rather are on different sides this season. So, how do things escalate to that level?
A lot of things lead up to that fight. It’s out of the circumstances of the situation. It’s not as if they just see each other and start fighting; it escalates. It naturally builds into a fight that has a really unfortunate end.

Bones Alumna Joins Nikita as [Spoiler]

TVLINE | We know that Devon Sawa returns as Owen in Episode 2, and that he’s trying to clean up his act. What else can we expect to see from him?
He’s in a bit of a different state of mind, a better one, though Michael does say to him, “How long until you turn into the Tasmanian Devil again?” Owen has not yet found a way to be completely off the regimen, though that’s what he’s seeking to do when we see him. The entire story of Episode 2 ties into that as a subplot.

TVLINE | Is there already a plan in place to bring Devon back this season?
Yes, and you’ll see a major, major hint as to what direction Owen will come back in the very last scene of Episode 2. It’s a little bit of a surprise.

TVLINE | Come on, Craig, spill! When can fans look forward to seeing him again beyond that episode?
I’ll say this: Owen will come back before our little midseason break during the holidays.

TVLINE | Let’s talk a little more about Alex. It seems like she’s in such a bad place.
She is in a bad place, but she’s going to find some people she can connect to — even some surprising people within Division, including “the new Birkhoff,” Sonya (played by Lyndie Greenwood). We’ll also see young Alex again in a flashback that happens in the third episode.

Nikita or Chuck: What Will You Watch Live, Fridays at 8?

TVLINE | And now, Mikita: Any scenes that will really wow the masses?
Yes, absolutely. We’re not going to hit them with super-obstacles right away because I think that’s denying the fans the chance to see them work well together, save each other, and try to figure out how to manage this new relationship. There are great Mikita moments in the first run of episodes.

TVLINE | Most importantly: Are they happy?
Yeah!

Nikita Season 2 kicks off Friday, Sept. 23 at 8/7c.

Be sure to check out the second half of our supersized Nikita Season 2 preview, with scoop on Birkhoff, Percy, Amanda, Michael’s ex, and more!

1. JJ says:

YAY! Thanks Meg! Your Nikita scoops are the best. I’m ashamed to say this, but I’m slightly enjoying Alex looking like Nikita just kicked her butt. Oops.

2. Jen says:

Thanks for the scoop Meg! Really excited to see what’s to come for Michael and Nikita. Glad they will at least be happy for a few eps before all the drama pursues of which I know they’ll make it through. Badass soulmates till the end ;). Very intrigued about Owen and what will be happening at the end of ep 2. I wonder if it has something to do with Alex…I’m most excited for the Mikita/Nikita backstory this season! :) Bring on S2.

3. Rachel says:

Woooo! So happy about the Mikita news!!! THANKS MEG you awesome YOUUU!! haha REALLLYYYY hoping they are careful when writing this awesome TV relationship, that is so far off the teeny bopper routine (20yr old speaking here. haha! enough teeny bopper hook up after hook up shiz yo! LOL)
    And I can only hope when Owen comes back, he’ll be coming back to stir up some drama in Alex’s life! (Olex ftw! haha)

AND DEAR LORD, i hope for my sanity that although, craig was vague about in this interview… THAT WE WILL BE GETTING LOTSSS AND I MEAN LOTSSSSSS OF NIKITA ARCS AND BACKSTORY THIS SEASON!!

4. Jess says:

ty for the scoop Meg … i hope the problems that come between m&n aren’t too harsh my only pairing of the show i like ;-) they have wrote them perfect so far and equally excited about everything else. ty once again!

5. francis says:

thanks megan, I believe you really help nikita with this kind of stuff! I am looking forward to this new season and i hope it has a good audience!

6. Sabrina says:

I really love that Craig is daring to keep Mikita happy at least for the first half of the season. Also, I happy to hear about the ebb and flow of the Alex/Nikita relationship. I don’t want these two to hate each other all season.

Thank u for the scoop, Meg. You are the go-to gal for Nikita scoopage!

• JJ says:

I feel the same about the Alex/Nikita relationship – it’d be tragic if they just hate each other (or specifically Alex so angery at Nikita) all season.

• Sabrina says:

It is really the only part of the second season I am bit nervous about. I just don’t think Alex going up against Michael, Nikita AND Birkhoff is believable.

7. Nikki says:

Thank you again, Meg, for another AMAZING Nikita related article!

I love how Craig knows we want to see our Badass Soulmates as a team and as a real couple. Its going be SO awesome to see Mikita happy and kicking ass together! <3 I cannot wait!

8. Sarah says:

Good to know there will be some happy times for michael and nikita b4 the drama. great article once again.

9. mia says:

hell yeah!! Nikita is the bst show EVER!

10. Mel says:

They should make Devon Sawa a series regular! :)

11. Jamie says:

So excited…hope mikita/birkhoff are front and center this year with niki’s storyline. My favs. ;]

12. Lily says:

Holy crap.. I am so freakin excited for season 2 and Mikita :))))))) Thanks for the amazing scoop Meg!!! You are amazing!!

13. ash says:

great interview! really looking forward to season two!

14. TheDude says:

Two Owen episodes per half season is like the perfect idea.
    He’s an awesome character and definitely my favorite, but if he was around all the time, I think his awesomeness would decrease slightly. I like the way they’re using the character. Well done.

15. Sarah says:

Great interview…really looking forward to S2!

16. Danny says:

Looking forward for whats to come for mikita! thanx for the interview.

17. Kelly says:

yahoo great interview! will they be going into nikitas history a bit this yr? i so hope!

18. Ann says:

Thanks a lot, Meg! You are conducting a great interview (:

19. Val says:

Thank you so much Meg…your interviews have the best scoop ever :)
    hope the dream team aka Birkoff&Mikita are front and center this season…they so deserve it :D

20. Tracy says:

Can’t wait. Hope we don’t have to wait too long in the UK!!

21. Ducky says:

Thanks for the scoop! I can’t wait for the new season and it’s exciting to see a new character. :)

22. Babban Billo says:

Thanks Meg… desperately waiting for premiere of Season 2

23. Kat says:

Thanks for the scoop. I adore Devon Sawa and would love him to be a regular. Nikita is one of my favorite CW shows (Nikita & TVD are the best!)

Michael’s ex? Noooooo who the heck is the person gonna be that’s going to get in the way of my epic Mikita.

I’m so happy for the Mikita happy times. Thank-you Craig, that is going to be so incredible. :)

I LOVE MIKITA. THEY ARE SOOO EPIC.
    Maggie Q and Shane West are amazing!

24. George says:

Hopefully Season 2 has smarter writing then the first season.

25. CJ says:

Too excited for words! I cannot wait!!!

26. Daniella says:

Thanks Meg… I love this show.. #Nikita

27. Rachna Porecha says:

Really waiting for another amazing episodes of Nikita-

28. Jamie says:

I must be one of the only people in this fandom who actually can’t stand Owen. He annoys the hell out of me, so I could care less whether he returns or not. As long as he’s not in TOO many episodes, it’s all good. The Nikita/Alex fight should be awesome. Love that we’ll get to see some Mikita happiness, even if there will be obstacles in their way. They’ll make it through, I know it. :) So excited!

29. Maddy Fan says:

Great, Megan but soooooooo bummed you didn’t ask him about Alberta Watson’s character, the Senator at Oversight! A lot of us started to watch the series because of her :(