Hot Video: Days of Our Lives Previews 'Rebirth'

While some rival soaps plan their broadcast swan songs, NBC’s Days of Our Lives is plotting a resurgence — or a “rebirth,” as new promos call it — packed with returns by many familiar faces, plus the infusion of some new (yet still familiar, to daytime TV fans) blood.

Days of Our Lives Exclusive: SVU Vet Tamara Tunie to Judge John Black

On board for encores, starting Sept. 26, are no less than Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn (aka Marlena and John), plus Christie Clark (Carrie) and Patrick Muldoon (Austin), followed by Matthew Ashford (Jack), Mary Beth Evans (Kayla)…. The list goes on. And you can catch a glimpse of all of them in this rather awesome teaser video.

Days of Our Lives Exclusive: Sarah Brown Previews Her Powerful Arrival in Salem

Explaining Days‘ resolve to reward its viewers, incoming cast member and three-time Daytime Emmy winner Sarah Joy Brown (who will be playing businesswoman Madison James) told me that co-executive producer Greg Meng “has all the hopes for daytime that I have, that it can be completely turned around…. It’s got to be out with the old way of doing things, where you take for granted that the audience isn’t paying attention. People are a lot smarter now, so the average person will call bulls— on that now.”

Salem faithful: Are you excited for the “new” Days ahead? Which returning face gave you the biggest goosebumps?

Comments (43)

• Oh COME ON!!! A lot of your readers are non-American. Please post videos we can ALL see!!!

Comment by Sivat – September 10, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more!

Comment by Josh – September 10, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really though. It’s so annoying when everyone is saying that the new promo looks so great and we can’t watch it.

Comment by Canada – September 10, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been watching since I was 9 years old (now am 38 yrs old). I know it may sound cheesy and pathetic to those that don’t follow soaps but I am so excited that not only is Days staying on the air but that the PTB are putting money into and and adding to the production value. I love having some of the old cast back and am looking forward to the writers putting out stories that are more engaging. The promo looks great!

Comment by Laura – September 10, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But that’s a lot of people returning. Some of my favorites only get limited screentime as it is. It could very well turn off viewers who aren’t old school ones, who know and care about Marlena and John. This could be great or totally bomb.

Comment by Michael – September 10, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They’d obviously never say it outright, but with this “Rebirth” campaign, they’re basically saying “we know we’ve been crappy for the past few years, but NOT ANYMORE!”

Comment by satirex – September 12, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Laura; been a fan on & off since the mid 70′s; I think the best of DOOL was in the early/mid 80′s; barely watched at all through most of the 90′s; I left when all my favorites did, and returned when they did in early 2000′s. With Matthew Ashford returning, you bet I’ll watch. I HATE that man-ho a-hole Daniel, and hope he will be gone soon, & not drag out the Jack/Jen reunion. I only wish all of this ‘rebooting’ had happened before Stephen Nichols joined Y&R; he was my favorite actor ever on DOOL. If I could bring any other characters back to Salem, it would be Michael T Weiss’s Mike Horton & John DeLancie’s Eugene. Your choices, anyone?

Comment by AnnieM – September 10, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Eugene & Calliope!!

Comment by Linda – September 12, 2011 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree completely – bring back Michael T. as Mike and DeLancie as Eugene; I would also like to have Calliope back.

I know I am in the minority, but I cannot stand John. I have been watching the show for 40 years and have never liked his character. The first time I see that eyebrow, or see him attempt a kiss (i.e., eat Marlena’s face) or hear his, “. . . and that’s a fact”, I think I’m going to toss my cookies.

Stephen Nicholas as Patch is my all-time favorite character. I loved it years ago when Patch’s childhood friend, Marcus (R.I.P. Richard Biggs) and he shared many scenes together.

Comment by Carolyn – September 12, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And I thought I was the only one who couldn’t stand John… :)

Comment by AL – September 13, 2011 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree–I loved Michael T. Weiss as Mike Horton along with Robin–I cannot remember the name of the actress who played her but she was wonderful. I’d also love to see Shane and Kimberly back–those were the true Days!

Comment by Lynne – September 12, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve read on this blog a few times that its not the website that is in charge but the network that makes the video, they choose the settings for who can and can’t look at it. It has to do with rights or something. I too wish the networks would spend more $ to make them playeable in Canada.

Comment by lauren – September 10, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why should they? American viewers are the ones who watch the ads and basically pay the bills for the shows. There’s no reason for companies to go out of their way to make videos playable in foreign countries.

Comment by gloria – September 11, 2011 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Canada is NOT a foreign country!!!

Comment by Lisa – September 13, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uhh why is John in a wheelchair?

Comment by Matt – September 10, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • John had an accident that left him paralyzed. He and Marlena left town to go to Europe to get special treatment to try to help him regain his ability to walk. (That’s how they wrote Marlena & John off the show.)

Comment by maggie – September 10, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to have start watching Days again. Having the all-stars come back is definitely the right move.

Comment by Jesse – September 10, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy to see the return of Mary Beth Evans, Matthew Ashford, and Patrick Muldoon … but hate that it happens at the expense of losing Louise Sorel!

Comment by Jan – September 10, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll watch if Stephen Nichols returns as Patch!!!!!!

Comment by kellym – September 12, 2011 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe I’m going to end up setting Days up to record on my DVR, but I love Carrie, John and Marlena. I do wish they brought back the second Austin though; he’s definitely the one I remember more, with Sami constantly trying to steal him away from Carrie.

Now if only Eileen Davidson would leave Young and the Restless…

Comment by Ben – September 10, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the fact that nbc.com makes Days available to watch on their site. And with everyone coming back, I will be watching online ~ yay!

Comment by Vi – September 10, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So many familiar faces. That promo made me want to watch Day’s again. Now that All My Children is leaving I have some room in my schedule :(

Thank you for covering and caring about soaps. It is nice to see a great promo like this get coverage and its great to see a big entertainment site like this take soaps seriously.

Comment by Melly – September 10, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been watching the show from day 1 and have always thought it was a better show then all the other soaps that were on the air at that time and am glad that its out living all the soaps that were always getting a big hype.

Thank you NBC for standing by Days of our Lives.

Comment by Helen – September 10, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Stefano injected him in the neck with something and that’s why he’s paralyzed. Can’t wait for the reboot!

Comment by Mrs O – September 10, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh I’ve been wishing for Kristen’s return for years, especially since they brought in an adult E.J.! I only watch off & on but that would definitely hook me!!

Comment by Lyndsey – September 10, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just 9 yrs old when i started watching days with my aunt back in 1969 and have been a faithfull follower since I am glad to see Marlena and John are returning and the others but you are missing belle and shawn douglas and patch these three go with the other returnee’s. where there was always excitement it will be twice the amount with stephano and ej with john and if patch does return .

THANK YOU FOR BRINGING BACK SOME OF THE BIG STARS OF THE SHOW NBC

Comment by barbsc61 – September 12, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I adore Carrie and Austin, especially Carrie. She and Marlena are my favourite Days characters of all time! I stopped watching Days for good when John and Marlena were fired but am eager to tune back in when they return.

Comment by Sivat – September 10, 2011 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like NBC is bringing back all the folks they could hire with an AARP discount.

Comment by Mika – September 10, 2011 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL. I was thinking that Marlena looks fantastic, and she has to be the oldest of the returning bunch. Heck, she looks better than Austin, who seems to have aged quite a bit! Or is it just that Austin Peck looked younger than Muldoon to begin with, and the original Austin is actually older than I think? Regardless, he and Jack Devereaux look old.

Comment by B – September 12, 2011 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been watching Days of our Lives since I was 10 years old in 1996. Started watching with my mom during the Stefano kidnaps Marlena in Paris storyline – and what a great one that was! I am so excited to see John, Marlena, Austin (the original!), and Carrie return. Now if only they would bring back Dr. Mike Horton (Roark Critchlow)!

Comment by Meghan – September 10, 2011 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be tuning back in to see John and Marlena!

Comment by kim – September 10, 2011 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad Days did a book tour and listened to what the fans had to say in person. Super excited to see John and Marlena return to Salem.

Comment by Lou – September 10, 2011 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was only a casual viewer of Days in the 90s, but this promo even has me wanting to watch again.

Comment by Chloe – September 10, 2011 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Days wasn’t that great in the 90′s. I’ve been watching since 1975 but kind of faded out in the 90′s and only rarely follow it now. With the addition of all the older cast members, I am sure to check it!

Comment by Linda – September 12, 2011 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I’m equally stoked to see the original carrie, austin & jack back, I’ll return to watching DOOL because John & Marlena are back….

Comment by anna – September 10, 2011 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to this—great to see there’s no stopping DOOL. I’m especially looking forward to Jack’s return–wondering if there might be places for Calliope and Eugene. I started watching in the ’70′s when I was in Jr. Hi. and have kept my eyes on DOOL thru the years. Way to go!

Comment by kay – September 11, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as they don’t pull anything like the “Marlena gets possessed by the devil” thing again, returning the old favorites could certainly help bring back some fans who drifted away from it. That was just…odd.

Comment by B – September 12, 2011 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love DOOL. I have watched since the beginning thanks to my aunt. I am ecstatic that John and Marlene are coming back. I love it when Doug and Julie are on. They have always been my favorite “super couple.”

Comment by Toni – September 12, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been watching Days since the 60s and grew up with Doug and Julie. It will be fun to see the “real” stars come back. Wherever Matthew Ashford goes, I’m there. He’s the best.

Comment by Jo Ann – September 12, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited for Matthew Ashford’s return. I was (and am) a huge Jack and Jennifer fan, and for the first time in years, I will be tuning in to Days. I followed them when I was in high school, and twenty years later, I am so anticipating their romance once again!

Comment by Lisa – September 12, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to watch Days of Our Lives during the 1980′s. I liked it when John was Roman. I watched a little of Days during the 90′s. I heard that Days has lost its luster. I will give Days another chance. I’m glad that John, Marlena, and Carrie are coming back. They were my favorite characters.

Comment by Michelle – September 13, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t not wait till September 26th it’s going to be a great day. I’m so excited that John and Marlena/Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn are coming back because I haven’t watched since they left and i have missed them SO MUCH!!! 6 days to go!

Comment by Jasmine – September 17, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very pleased. Now the show will get exciting

Comment by Priscilla – September 22, 2011 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post