Glee Scoop: Emma's Parents Come to Town

Glee has cast another set of parents for Season 3 — though, sadly they’re not Rachel’s dads. Rather, the Fox musical is bringing Mr. and Mrs. Pillsbury to town.

Glee Season 3: What Major Life Change Should Mr. Schue Undergo? Take Our Poll!

Playing Emma’s ma and pa are Desperate Housewives alum Valerie Mahaffey and Happy Days vet Don Most, TVGuide.com reports.

There’s no word on why the pair plans to visit McKinley’s obsessive-compulsive guidance gal, but they are set to appear in the Oct. 4 installment — the same episode in which the previously reported parents of Mike Chang (to be played by Tamlyn Tomita and Keong Sim) put in an appearance. Maybe it’s some sort of Parent-Teacher-Counselor Day…?

Glee Exclusive: [Spoiler] Quits New Directions! But Will She Leave the Show?

Besides her run as Desperate Alma Hodge, Mahaffey’s TV credits include United States of Tara, Northern Exposure and the underappreciated The Powers That Be. Television’s erstwhile Ralph Malph (“I still got it!”) most recently has popped up on Men of a Certain Age; he also has been on Star Trek: Voyager and voiced Stiles in the late-’80s Teen Wolf animated series.

Season 3 of Glee kicks off Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 8/7c.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Fall TV Preview

1. Sharon says:

I’m pretty sure Glee just broke the record for most guest stars in one season.

2. Meg says:

These aren’t ‘guest stars’. Their actors that have been cast. Complainers need to stop with this whining about guest stars especially since this doesn’t apply.

3. mike says:

Not really interested in Emma’s parents. Not really interested in Emma or Will for that matter. If you need parents, bring on Rachel’s two gay dads, Kurt’s dad and Finn’s mom!

• lil says:

I want to see the Hudson-Hummels. Have we ever had a family scene with all four of them since the wedding? I don’t think so! They’re all such good actors, you can have fantastic storylines with that family. Why is Glee wasting such a potentially wonderful dynamic!

• Resse says:

Yes! I know. They’re are so many thing they could’ve done with the Hudson-Hummels! I’ve always wanted to see a family dinner with the Hudons/Hummels and Rachel (and possibly her parents). Imagine Rachel talking about her plans for New York and wanting Finn to tag along, and Carol not approving. What a scenario.

• Puckleberry says:

Same here. Not interested in Emma, except for brief and funny scenes, her folks, or her relationship with Will. The writers ruined this character and story in season 2 by making Emma not quirky but creepy. As for the parents, I don’t care much for them. So far, they haven’t been really relevant for the stories. I like what they’ve done with Burt Hummel (well written and well acted character) and I thought it was kind of baffling not seeing Finn’s mom after the wedding episode.

• sm says:

I feel the exact same. Lost all interest s2 for they were lost in the background of a storyline. I’m hoping for the KIDS parents on the show. Personaly don’t have any interest in Emma’s parents now since she has had psychological help and has been on medications for her OCD. That’s all that’s necessary IMO. Parents of the Glee kids should be on and to find out what makes them be who the kids are not the so called adults of the show. The Glee kids are the one’s who are messed up, aggressive, cowardly, over bearing etc. They are the one’s whose parents I would like on the show to show the viewers how the kids act out side of school with their significant adult family and how they relate. Maybe not all the kids parents on the show but a good representation of them would helpful and nice to see.

4. Resse says:

Wow, I guess RM was getting serious when he said no couples would break up this season. Will and Emma must be getting serious, if her parents are coming to town. I thought of Emma having a breakdown and thats why they show up, but thats a little to serious for a “comedy”. Imagine Don Most interegating Will. Ha. And I loved Valerie as Alma Hodge.

They’re really making us wait for The Berry’s aren’t they. -___-

5. Janet says:

Love this, so excited for Wemma in season 3. :)

6. Paul says:

These aren’t really guest stars because they’re actually relevant to the plot, unlike some others (Gwyneth Paltrow).

• sm says:

True. Even though the writers tried to experiment on a new path s2 with musical performances and guests stars they went all out on some. But there seemed to be a big backlash over that idea critics and many fans became very vocal on the storyline content that suffered s2. I was one of them. Wemma became wall art s2 and the storyline was so outlandish and out of character for both Will and Emma that some me included lost all interest in them. S1 they were a main focal point of the show and were so cute and they had many fans who rooted for them. Me for one. I just wish just for adult storyline content just about them and their interactions.

7. Liz says:

Maybe we will see Rachel’s dads when she “graduates”.

8. Polly says:

wow, this is a first for me.
    i grew less and less interested in season 3 of glee every time a new scoop comes up. nice work glee people!!!
    anyway, all i can think of this news is: poor ralph malph.

9. Sivat says:

I hate Emma so this doesn’t excite me. I am still TEAM TERRI!!!!!!!!

10. meg says:

So excited!!! Love Emma!!!! So glad she is getting more screen time this season!!! Wemma :)

11. 1humbleopinion says:

I like that the Glee creators and writers understand the value of Emma Pilsbury (Jayma Mays) to this show. The writing and story arcs may have been horribly uneven in seasons 1 and 2, but it was MVP actors like Jayma Mays, Diana Agron, Chris Colfer, Cory Montieth and Naya Rivera who have managed to ground the show with some emotional resonance whenever they are on screen — even when the script asks them to take ridiculous plot turn. Jayma Mays, is perhaps the only reason we give a hoot about Will Schuester. And her one scene with Kathleen Quinlin as her therapist was actually pretty powerful. And if we want to understand at all why Emma is the OCD person she is, it probably helps to meet those parents.

• lisa says:

Totally agree that the actors have saved this show from being a total disaster. The Glee writers should be ashamed of giving such stupid plots to wonderful actors like Jayma Mays and Cory Monteith. Emma had to suffer through that sham of a marriage to the wonderful John Stamos, who was totally wasted in the role. Cory Monteith was given a terrible love triangle story, even the writers could not give motivation for his character going back to Quinn. I wonder what would have happened if less talented actors had to play those parts. I hope the writers have better material in store for these actors. Otherwise they would be wasting such potential.

12. Jo says:

Donny Most! LMAO! That is awesome!

People need to stop complaining about everything that happens or doesn’t happen on Glee.

13. Larry says:

I don’t know why when there is any news on Glee -that people just CAN’T be happy and go with it. There are always those people that will just COMPLAIN about something or another. But I am happy with this news. And I’m looking forward to seeing Donny Most on my television again.

14. Rex says:

Ralph Malph is Emma’s dad! Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

15. F says:

Good that Jayma Mays is getting screentime this season. She was so underused last time and I hope this season will give her an Emmy nom for next year.

16. Charles says:

I liked Emma in season 1, thought she was underused in the overly uneven season 2, and really don’t care about them bringing in her parents.

BUT if they’re going to bring in her parents, this seems like near perfect casting. I’ve been a huge fan of Valerie Mahaffey since The Powers That Be.