Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Poll: What Will You Watch on Sundays?

Get More: Fall TV Preview, Polls

The Fall TV season is right around the corner, and some tough viewing choices are coming. Let’s see what your gameplan is for Sunday night.

Fall TV Survival Guide: News, Scoops, Premiere Calendar

Each day* this week — during “the calm before the storm” — I’ve been showing you the grid for that night’s line-up, including Big 5 fare and select cable listings. You then vote for what you plan to watch LIVE during each time slot, since live-ish viewership is still the gold standard when it comes to ratings, whether we like it or not. (*Yes, we’re skipping Saturday since I know you’ll all be watching Rules of Engagement; don’t want to break PollDaddy, after all.)

Fall TV Polls: What Will You Watch Live on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday?

One last caveat before we get to the polls: This is not a popularity contest. Organizing a robo-vote for a certain show will not keep the walkers from gnoshing on your brains when that day comes. So have faith in the merit of your individual choices, then watch to see how many others legitimately ally with you.

NOTES ABOUT THE SUNDAY GRID: This represent the face-offs taking place for at least six weeks of the fall TV season; that is why AMC’s Hell on Wheels (premiering Nov. 6) is included, while Breaking Bad (which finales Oct. 9) is not. Details on new shows (indicated by *) can be found at these links: Allen Gregory, Hell on Wheels, Homeland, Once Upon a Time, Pan Am.

Comments (91)

• I will be watching The Good Wife live and using my DVR for Desperate Housewives. The Good Wife is “appointment tv” for me.

Comment by FayeD – September 11, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definately ABC all day, gonna be a good night

Comment by Juan – September 11, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These unscientific polls are such a joke. Just incredibly unreliable for anyone who actually thinks they could possibly mean anything.
    Which amazingly some people do.
    For instance, I note from the results above that Sunday Night Football gets ratings of between 5% to 12% of the totals.
    Does anyone actually belive that.
    When the actual results are in, SNF will get upwards of 20 million viewers (18 on a bad night) and will, in all liklihood, double the others combined.
    But reading results from polls like this would suggest that SNF would be cancelled 3 weeks into the season.

Comment by Carmen – September 11, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so looking forward to the return of The Walking Dead. I’ll watch Sunday Night Football, too, if the match-ups are interesting to me.

Comment by merikat – September 11, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had to cut back to “less than basic” cable (expenses go up – paycheck doesn’t), so I’ll be watching DVD’s or visiting friends.

Comment by ladyhelix – September 11, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People still watch live TV? Huh. That just seems so 2002.

Comment by Adria – September 11, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • someone has to or else ratings would be really bad.

Comment by chris – September 11, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I DVR as much as the next person (considering my job and all), but let’s call a spade a spade and try not to be too cool for the room – everybody watches SOMETHING live at some point in the week.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 11, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They need to re-do the ratings’ measuring system. Keep it up to date with today’s culture.

Comment by Sara – September 11, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’m more excited for Friday nights. The only thing I’ll watch live on Sundays is The Walking Dead.

Comment by jenn – September 11, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t have any shows I’m currently following on Sunday, but I’ll try out Pan Am.

Comment by SK – September 11, 2011 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch nothing live. I choose to pay for internet, not cable. Station websites stream most of their shows the next day, and I can wait 12 – 24 hours.

Comment by Sara – September 11, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TiVoing The Good Wife, CSI Miami, Pan Am. Never watch anything live, sorry!

Comment by Gretchen – September 11, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire. Can’t some of them go on monday? I guess I will just have to DVR Dexter and Boardwalk Empire.

Comment by Aurora – September 11, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The good wife
    Pan Am

Comment by Michelle – September 12, 2011 01:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a Time and Good Wife, but football may take over.

Comment by Tee – September 12, 2011 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve picked favorites on each of the days/times, but it’s highly unlikely I’ll truly be watching any of them “live”. I DVR everything and then watch it later. Sometimes in the middle of the show recording, I start watching it, but I rarely ever watch anything “live” even though I generally watch TV in the 8-11 PM time period every day. I just time shift to avoid watching most of the commercials, though I’ll occasionally stop and watch one if it catches my eye while fast forwarding.

Comment by Scott – September 12, 2011 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Start the evening with Once Upon a Time. Thank god for on demand! I will be WATCHING Dexter and catching Boardwalk Empire later on demand. Pan Am @ 10 unless it turns out to suck after a couple episodes.

BRING ON MY DEXTER!!!

Comment by Cat – September 12, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems like there should be an option for watching The Good Wife live in the 10 p.m. slot since that’s most likely when it will air after football runs over!

Comment by Holly – September 12, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In all likelihood, I’ll be watching Sunday Night Football live, but I’m looking forward to Once Upon A Time and How To Make It In America on DVR!

Comment by MissJess – September 12, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that True Blood is over until next summer, I will not be watching anything on Sundays.

Comment by TVDIVA – September 12, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness for DVR, that’s all I have to say.

Will watch DH for sure.

Cable gets the rest of my attention. I really like Ginnifer Goodwin but the fantasy show does nothing for me. Pan Am and CSI: Miami? Please I’d rather watch Cupcake Wars and Iron Chef for goodness sakes.

I will DVR Boardwalk Empire and Good Wife so I won’t have to watch The Chew during the day.

My girlfriend DVR’s Dexter at her house since she has Showtime and I have HBO so I won’t miss this great show. She will DVR Homeland so we can see that as well.

Comment by lawyerchick99 – September 12, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Good Wife and Dexter, but if CBS does it’s normal football mickey mouse routine I won’t be watching Good Wife any more than I watched CSI: Miami this past season. I have Comcast which doesn’t have the intelligence to record when a show comes on, but only when it is supposed to come on……so. Why can’t they leave their line-ups alone. Tuesday was perfect.

Comment by Edie Russo – September 12, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Walking Dead On Demand. I prefer to watch it earlier in the evening.

Comment by axcc – September 12, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This SUCKS!!!!!
    I guess I will watch 1. Desperate Housewives LIVE.
    2. DVR The Good Wife
    3. HBO On Demand after 10:00 pm Boardwalk EMPIRE

Comment by Carm – September 12, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Walking Dead, Desperate Housewives and The Good Wife all on a the same time? Hopefully, AMC will repeat Walking Dead throughout the week. If not, then it will by bye bye to Desperate Housewives.

Comment by Cindy – September 12, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who watches anything Live anymore? At a minimum I wait 18 minutes so that I can skip through all the commercials on my Tivo.

Comment by laura – September 12, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Homeland for sure. So far all the dramas I watch are deteriorating and all the really good ones like Battlestar Galactica are gone. I need something to replace that and heal the hurt Covert Affairs created when it burst onto the scene in ridiculous Louboutins last year. Just got Showtime so I’m really excited that I won’t have to rely on the notoriously tardy and faulty iTunes to crank out the eps for the season pass. Also I don’t have to pay for my cable but I would have to pay the $40 or so a season pass would be. I may watch Pan Am On Demand but I dont think it will hold my interest long.

Comment by Tej – September 12, 2011 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Walking Dead is the only show Sunday I am that interested in watching live, but I will probably watch Once Upon A Time to start with to see if I like it, if its no good then I will just do something else while I wait for The Walking Dead to come on, I used to watch Dexter but have missed too many shows so I don’t watch it now,(went without cable for a couple of years).

Comment by Clara – September 13, 2011 04:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really looking forward to Pan Am, but if the Pats are on Sunday Night Football, all bets are off.

Comment by AL – September 13, 2011 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon A Time, Dexter, Homeland. DVR Boardwalk and the Walking Dead, wait for reviews of Hell on Wheels.

Comment by D – September 14, 2011 12:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be watching the best show on tv. CSI:MIAMI#1 the Best cast on tv. Emily Procter, David Carusco, Adam Rodriguez, EvaLarue, Omar Miller, JonTogo and the loveable RexLinn There’s no other show better!!!!! Yeeaaah!!!!

Comment by Erika Carolyn Young – September 15, 2011 04:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post