Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Poll: What Will You Watch on Fridays?

Get More: Fall TV Preview, Polls

The Fall TV season is right around the corner folks, so some tough viewing choices are coming. Let’s get thinking about them!

TVLine’s Fall TV Survival Guide: News, Scoops, Premiere Calendar and More

Each day this week — during “the calm before the storm” — I’ve been showing you the grid for that night’s line-up, including Big 5 fare and select cable listings. You then vote for what you plan to watch LIVE during each time slot (since live-ish viewership is still the drink-stirrer when it comes to ratings, whether we like it or not).

Fall TV Poll: What Will You Watch Live on Thursdays?

NOTES ABOUT THE FRIDAY GRID: Grids represent the face-offs taking place for at least six weeks of the fall TV season. Details on new shows (indicated by *) can be found at these links: Kelsey Grammer’s Boss, Patrick Wilson’s A Gifted Man, NBC’s Grimm.

Comments (257)

• Nikita, Grimm, and Blue Bloods

Comment by lacey – September 9, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will be CHUCK night at our house!

Comment by Susan – September 9, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe and Nikita!!!!

Comment by kozmikg – September 9, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural without a doubt!!

Comment by Mara – September 9, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SUPERNATURAL!!!! How the f*ck is Fringe winning? Come on fandom, lets get this link out to everyone! SPN will win this. I can’t wait for Season 7! :)

Comment by Nics – September 9, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK and FRINGE, without a doubt! I’ll watch NIKITA online later.

Comment by Cass – September 9, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SUPERNATURAL!!

Comment by Dawn – September 9, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SUPERNATURAL forever and always!

Comment by monica – September 9, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural. Even if it should have ended after season 5.

Comment by BklynTV – September 9, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch NIkita. DVR both Supernatural and Fringe while watching Supernatural live, then watching Fringe immediately afterward so that on the off chance I become a Nielsen family they will get live +same day out of me. If I can find Grimm on On Demand or Free Hulu, I’ll give it a shot. I really wish they had put Grimm on at 10:00 or 8:00 because I would like to at least try it out. OTOH, I’m glad my two favorite shows are not battling Chuck for ratings, so all is good.

Comment by Percysowner – September 9, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural all the way! :D

Comment by LyraGW – September 9, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This will depend on how the seasons shape up, but I will start off with FRINGE first because it’s premise for the new season is most promising right now. However, if Supernatural gets it’s crap together I will probably switch back to watching it live. I really hope they don’t kill off Castiel.

Comment by Melissa – September 9, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would break speed limits, miss appointments, just about ANYTHING to watch Nikita live on fridays! I never miss an episode, it is truely the best television show any day of the week! I cannot WAIT for the new episodes! Everyone NEEDS to check this show out, no other program measures up compared to it!

Comment by Nikki – September 9, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No doubt NIKITA and Supernatural :D

Comment by Norfy – September 9, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita definitely. Those guys know what they’re doing with the series and I can’t wait to see all their hard work blow me away on Friday nights.

I’m pretty excited about Chuck, though. Read that Carrie-Anne Moss will be joining for the final season. I’ve MISSED seeing her and watching her kick ass again will definitely be a treat.

Comment by sadie – September 9, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe all the way. I’ll DVR Grimm.

Comment by Chloe – September 9, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Defintly SPN

Comment by mary – September 9, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural !!!!!

Comment by m.winchester – September 9, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SUPERNATURAL is NOT a good show,someone let me borrow season 1,2 and 3 and I must say don’t even bother with it.It’s popular among teenage girls only,I was so excited to watch it too. Those kids are all over the internet lying about how good this show is don’t be fooled people. Invest your time in something else.

Comment by Clarissa – September 9, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True

Comment by brad – September 9, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You either Get it or you don’t. Clearly we can see which camp you are in.

Comment by St.Jon Clark – September 9, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do wish you had posted this as your opinion which would have been the correct way to voice this. Evidently your opinion is the end all, be all since millions disagree with you. I find SPN to be a well written, well acted show with a cast and crew most shows would die to have. The closeness on set is not exaggerated. These guys are a true family. SPN is not for everyone. Even I can admit that. Also, your “it’s popular among teenage girls only” comment is not only a blatant lie, it’s a ridiculous blatant lie. Just because you don’t get it means nothing.

Comment by River – September 9, 2011 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um….if you don’t like it, that’s fine. Everyone doesn’t have to like everything. But this 50-something woman recently went to a fan convention and probably 80 percent of the audience was over 30 and ranged up into their 60s!! (There’s not NEARLY enough “romance” — like, almost none — in SN to attract the teenage set the way Vampire Diaries does!)

Comment by Janice – September 9, 2011 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So you’ve been out an interviewed everyone who watches Supernatural have you? I’m 37 years old and was hooked from the first season, I have never watched another show that I just CANNOT miss an episode of or that I’m so excited for the new seasons of! Your comment is NOT a good comment and those people (not kids) all over the internet saying how good SPN is should tell you something… you are in a big minority!! The question was what WILL you watch, not ‘come on here and slag off Supernatural’!!!!

Comment by Nics – September 10, 2011 02:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uhmmm I’m 36..and most teenage girls I know do not even know what Supernatural is..You have to have a certain maturity level to enjoy Supernatural..Maybe that’s why you didn’t get it..

Comment by Kristy Kandiko – September 11, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s Wrong With You?

You seriously DON’T HAVE ANY IDEA of what you are talking about. May Chuck forgive you for saying these things!

Comment by adri – September 12, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow so all the hundreds of thirty somethings who do charity work in Supernatural’s name, the actors names and so on must be teenagers in disguises. The easily 200+ plus people I saw at the last convention who were all on average my age (mid 30′s) were all lying not SPN fans at all, then?

Yeah it’s only teenagers. Fine, SPN was not your cup of tea, that doesn’t mean you need to a) disparage others who watch it and b) make general claims that are fundamentally untrue and fundamentally proven to be untrue.

There is even a quote out there about Jensen Ackles says the CW is telling them their demographic is one then and then he goes to conventions and meets all these bright, intelligent amazing women and he realizes that that Dawn O. she was still in charge when he said this, really doesn’t get the show.

Also you’re saying kids are out lying about this show — why are you here lying about a show you don’t like? Why don’t you just not like it? It’s easy to dislike something and stay silent. I do it OFTEN.

Never posted about shows I don’t watch, because I don’t watch them. Or shows I tried but didn’t like because yep, didn’t like them.

Comment by raelee514 – September 19, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM OBSESSED WITH SN!!!!

Comment by cheyene – September 9, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its so hard to choose between Chuck and Nikita – I really like both shows. 9PM – Supernatural – no contest. I watch it live AND DVR it for later.

Comment by Melanie – September 9, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural and Nikita. Also getting the season pass on itunes.

Comment by Michael – September 9, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be watching “Grimm” live (for as long as it lasts) followed by “Blue Bloods”. I may DVR “Fringe”.
    Nothing else on offer interests me in the slightest.

Comment by Donna – September 9, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • people have got it out for fringe they come to fridays for some peace n now they up against supernatural n grimm with chuck n nikita b4 all shows with similar audiences

if all fails go to sunday it shoulda been a sunday show frm the start

Comment by max – September 9, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No doubt about the 8:00 time slot….CHUCK all the way. Then at 9:00 I might check out Grimm. For all of you thats saying to watch Nakita live and record CHUCK because it is already over..I STRONGLY disagree While yes it has been slated as it’s 5th and final season it is not set in stone (nothing in the tv industry seems to be) That being said a new night to watch + not nearly as competitive timeslot could mean a HUGE ratings increase, which could lengthen the # of episodes this season or gain the show another season all together..if not a pick-up on another network. Again this little show that could..still held it’s own against Monday night power houses..averaging atleast 4 million viewers during what IMO was the toughest TV timeslot of the entire week. So bring on the CHUCK season 5, and let the good times roll. :)

Comment by Tater – September 9, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural!!!!!

Comment by Carole – September 9, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ONLY SUPERNATURAL!!!! I will be checking out Grimm online though (see if it’s any good) since I’m guessing it’ll be on the same time as Supernatural; my show ALWAYS COMES FIRST! But every other show I don’t give a crap about, they suck, and yes I’ve given them a chance. I loved season 6 of SPN, and I cannot WAIT for season 7! I love this show so much, I hold it dear to my heart and soul, and it is seriously the BEST TV show to ever grace mine and other fans’ lives!!!

Comment by Dora – September 9, 2011 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ONLY SUPERNATURAL!!!! I will be checking out Grimm online though (see if it’s any good) since it’ll be on the same time as Supernatural; my show ALWAYS COMES FIRST! But every other show I don’t give a crap about, they suck, and yes I’ve given them a chance. I loved season 6 of SPN, and I cannot WAIT for season 7! I love this show so much, I hold it dear to my heart and soul, and it is seriously the BEST TV show to ever grace mine and other fans’ lives!!!

Comment by Dora – September 9, 2011 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SPN SUCK shut up.

Comment by Angel – September 9, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really Angel? lol
        Stop Trolling

Comment by Lisa – September 9, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with you Dora!!! :)

Comment by Nics – September 10, 2011 02:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im watching Supernatural ofcourse.

Comment by Nikki – September 9, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will DEFINETLY be watching Supernatural!!

Comment by candace – September 9, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SUPERNATURAL FOR EVER!!!

Comment by casammy – September 9, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural, alway good & forever the best!

Comment by Shelley Lee – September 9, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural. Must see our Lord in all his Glory.

Comment by Leelee ingran – September 9, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really resent the implication that SN fans cheat at polls (and/or are the only ones with SOME fans that might try to use voting bots!) Yeah, we’re a smaller fandom since we’re on a smaller network, but there are plenty of us who have stayed up many, many nights voting until our wrists hurt for our little show!!! Bots are not needed when you have that kind of devotion.

(And even assuming there MIGHT be a few fans out there using bots, you better believe SN would not be the only show fans who are doing so!!! I imagine there are a few from just about every fanatical fanbase who try it, so quit making it sound like ALL SN fans cheat and NO ONE else ever does. The fact is, there may be a few in ALL camps, (the first time I ever HEARD of a voting bot was on another show’s forum where they were giving out instructions!)

So if you want to say “no cheating”….fine! But let’s make it across the board and stop picking on SN fans just because we’re really good at winning polls even if it means staying up all night voting!!

Comment by Janice – September 9, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not happy with this comment “This is not a popularity contest. Organizing a robo-vote for a certain show will not get Jared and Jensen to drop by your book club. So have faith in the merit of your individual choices, then watch to see how many others legitimately line up aside you.”
    Screw that. You just insulted an entire fanbase of loyal Supernatural fans. If you want to call out one fanbase unfairly, then call them all out. Don’t punk out now. Supernatural just happens to have some of the greatest and most loyal fans of any fanbase I’ve ever been a part of. I don’t need another’s opinion or so called robo voting to validate my opinion of Supernatural or its fans. They are awesome. Silly little polls like this matter not. At all. Fringe is a good show, Supernatural is a good show. Don’t demean that by trivializing the fanbases.

Comment by River – September 9, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly!! There are some fandoms out there who have obviously lost out to Supernatural in the past and are pretty sore losers. I’ve spread this poll out to groups and forums throughout the SPN fandom and I can see now that it’s paying off. Perhaps other shows’ fans want to spend less time moaning and more time supporting their choices!

Comment by Nics – September 10, 2011 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Off my soapbox now. On Friday’s I will be watching Chuck, Supernatural and Sanctuary live. I will DVR Blue Bloods.

Comment by River – September 9, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be watching Supernatural – my all time favorite show EVER! And I will be watching Blue Bloods. (I think it’s very distasteful to call out SN fans when talking about cheating. Why target us? Just because we win a lot of polls? Every fandom has cheaters, no need to single out just one. Very tacky.)

Comment by Lynn – September 9, 2011 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ??? Not trolling lol GRIMM is going to kick a.ss just watch.

Comment by Angel – September 9, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ???? Not trolling GRIMM is going to kick a.ss

Comment by Angel – September 9, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What about Kitchen Nightmares? lol

Comment by Lisa – September 9, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • GRIMM probly have a hard time because it’s a new show on Friday, and I really don’t see Fringe or Supernatural leaving there shows.

Unless Grimm just get the audience that’s already left these two shows.
      I will watch it just not live.

Comment by LIsa – September 9, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I’m not even sure what Grimm is, but I’m guessing it’s in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, in which case, it will be targeting the same audience at Fringe and Supernatural, and neither of those groups of fans are very likely to abandon their shows, putting it mildly.

Comment by Janice – September 9, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a slam-dunk from 8:00-10:00 with Chuck and Fringe.

Comment by Bob – September 9, 2011 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe. First time ever I won’t be watching Supernatural live. And if Cas is killed off, I won’t be DVRing it either.

Comment by Clare – September 9, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We don’t need fans like you in the Fringe fanbase.

Comment by Josh – September 9, 2011 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SUPERNATURAL!!!

Comment by Lex – September 9, 2011 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe!!!

Comment by Julie – September 9, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita !!!!!!!!! and dvr chuck :)

Comment by Cameron – September 9, 2011 09:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I take issue with this part of your article. (See at the bottom of my comment) There are no robo-votes in a one per ip address poll. What we (SPN Fandom) Organize is awareness. In this case we would alert people that are watching to register their activity. The word would go out on the networks we have created. This is free interactive marketing for you because with awareness comes action and your poll gets more eyeballs. (They also look at and click on ads) So what you are objecting to is the fact that we often out Market other shows. Since you are benefiting it seems counter-intuitive to add this and also potentially traffic killing. Likely I would say. No one enjoys to be singled out.

“One last caveat before we get to the polls: This is not a popularity contest. Organizing a robo-vote for a certain show will not get Jared and Jensen to drop by your book club. So have faith in the merit of your individual choices, then watch to see how many others legitimately line up aside you.”

Comment by St.Jon Clark – September 9, 2011 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh you guys should watch Nikita LIVE. It won’t do any help for Chuck if it’s that you watch. It’s in its final season already!

Comment by Oolalai – September 9, 2011 11:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friday’s are traditionally a good night to go out and socialize, but because the TV execs hate me, they decided I don’t deserve a social life so they are piling my favorite shows on Friday night. You suck TV execs!!

The musts are Chuck at 7, Supernatural at 8 and Sanctuary at 9. I will not be giving those up seeing as Supernatural and Chuck are my two favorite shows. I’ll DVR Grimm a few times to see if it I might like it. Right now it doesn’t have me excited, but then again, I’m so happy to Silas back on my screen. I’ll also be DVR’ing Nikita to watch over the weekend, I’m so excited to see the first Alex/Nikita fight.

This is the end of my TV watching week, because Saturday I will go out and have a life!! Take that you dastardly executives! A final tally of the number of hours that TV will be sucking out of me, at least until I determine if some of the new shows just don’t interest me, is: 22. Yikes, that’s rather sick. I can already tell I will have no choice but to whittle some of those down quickly. Thankfully, shows like Burn Notice and Bones won’t be starting right away and I will have some time to cull the worst of the newbies from the DVR and probably leave a good portion of them on there to build up until I have time for catch up.

Comment by Melody – September 10, 2011 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the “One last caveat before we get to the polls:” thing is so fudging insulting!!! Why not make the same announcement for other shows as well?!

Comment by Eliot – September 10, 2011 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural!!!

Comment by Valerie – September 10, 2011 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well there is no brainer there.. Supernatural is going to be the best fall tv show..

Comment by sara – September 10, 2011 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post