Fall TV Preview

Fall TV Poll: What Will You Watch on Fridays?

Get More: Fall TV Preview, Polls

The Fall TV season is right around the corner folks, so some tough viewing choices are coming. Let’s get thinking about them!

TVLine’s Fall TV Survival Guide: News, Scoops, Premiere Calendar and More

Each day this week — during “the calm before the storm” — I’ve been showing you the grid for that night’s line-up, including Big 5 fare and select cable listings. You then vote for what you plan to watch LIVE during each time slot (since live-ish viewership is still the drink-stirrer when it comes to ratings, whether we like it or not).

Fall TV Poll: What Will You Watch Live on Thursdays?

One last caveat before we get to the polls: This is not a popularity contest. Organizing a robo-vote for a certain show will not get Jared and Jensen to drop by your book club. So have faith in the merit of your individual choices, then watch to see how many others legitimately line up aside you.

NOTES ABOUT THE FRIDAY GRID: Grids represent the face-offs taking place for at least six weeks of the fall TV season. Details on new shows (indicated by *) can be found at these links: Kelsey Grammer’s Boss, Patrick Wilson’s A Gifted Man, NBC’s Grimm.

Comments (257)

• Supernatural FTW!

Comment by Sivat – September 9, 2011 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Blue Bloods is such a great show. One of the best new ones of the season last year, IMO. Glad it’s doing so well, even on a Friday. :)

Comment by Savannah – September 9, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Forgot to add Nikita. Those are the only two I watch on Fridays when I can. :)

Comment by Savannah – September 9, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Blue Bloods is my favorite new show. Love Donnie W.

Comment by carol adkins – September 11, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HECK YA!!!!!

Comment by Erica – September 9, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • SUPERNATURAL!!!!

Comment by Erica – September 9, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hey everybody I will be watching Supernatural on Friday Nights and also during the week I also watch Supernatural on TNT at 10 am to 12 pm Monday through Friday. I never miss a show ever. Love the show and I hope they decide to make a season eight! thanks Nance Monroe

Comment by Nance Monroe – September 9, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Your not the only one watching SN. The best show on the tube. Cant wait for season 7 to begin!!!

Comment by carol adkins – September 11, 2011 12:27 PM PDT
          • I agree wholeheartedly. There are very shows I have never missed an episode of. Supernatural is one of them. I love the show, its actors, and the story line The most important thing about this show is family. The second is car, be honest. We all want to own that Impala. Third is the good stories, be they horror, comedy, or drama. It’s the perfect show.

Comment by Patricia Wylie – September 12, 2011 12:26 AM PDT
  • I’m obviously watching Chuck and record Nikita, but since Chuck aint on untill october 21st I will watch Nikita to help with the ratings untill chuck comes

Comment by Chuckfanatic – September 9, 2011 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oct 21st! I didn’t know that, now I’m depressed.

Comment by carol – September 9, 2011 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i love chuck but it’s dead. it’s the final season. record it and watch nikita live.

Comment by João Amaral – September 9, 2011 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you have a People Meter? It’s the only way ratings are recorded. :( And only 5000 homes have them….

Comment by Brock – September 9, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Doing the exact same thing. October 21st rolls around and Chuck becomes my TV priority. There’s no way I’m gonna miss an episode of this epic show’s last season. 5 years of this little-show-that-could was brought on by the immense dedication and loyalty of fans. Not stopping now.
      But afterwards, Fringe has my 9 pm time slot for sure. Love Supernatural, but I’m more antsy finding out what happens to Fringe

Comment by Aiden – September 11, 2011 03:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural!!!!!!!!

Comment by Jenni Hogg – September 9, 2011 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRINGE ALWAYSSSS!!!! sick of Samnatural blahhh

Comment by 90's Girl – September 9, 2011 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sanctuary, Fringe and Nikita.

Comment by xav – September 9, 2011 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITA ALL THE WAY!

Comment by Mia – September 9, 2011 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe and ONLY FRINGE.

Comment by Pamela – September 9, 2011 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fringe Fridays LIVE – only way to support my favorite show – commercials and all. I’ll DVR anything else of interest, but Fringe Friday Live is my motto to say I did my part to keep this show on the air. And I did have a Neilsen book last May.

Comment by forrest – September 12, 2011 12:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a shame Fringe and Supernatural are timeslot competitors. They’re the only shows in the Friday lineup I ever watch.

Comment by Mike – September 9, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita and Supernatural. I got into Nikita over the summer and was surprised with how good it was — kind of reminds me of Dollhouse actually. And Supernatural… I felt it came off a fantastic ssixth season (despite what some of the “fans” say about it) so I am really excited for season seven! Worried that Nikita might get shortchanged though, between its new (crappy) timeslot, being on the bubble for renewal this past spring and Eric Kripke developping Deadman for next season (which is a no-brainer to pair up with Supernatural if it comes back for season eight) it might be a hard sell.

Still, for this season, it’s an all CW Friday night — and Ringer on Tuesdays… which makes me shudder because I just realized I’ll be tuning into the CW for more than one night of television a week. lol

Comment by Marc – September 9, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Honestly, I don’t want to turn this into a “Did season 6 suck or not” debate about SPN. No matter the content, there’s always going to be people who like it and people who don’t. But please don’t assume that just because some people didn’t like season 6, that we aren’t legitimate fans. It’s that kind of marginalization that sets off the hatefulness you see in a lot of SPN discussions. No fan base is ever going to agree 100% – so don’t “No true Scotsman” everyone who doesn’t share your opinion.

That said, I think it’s hilarious that he had to warn off the SPN fans! It’s definitely a fan base with a reputation.

Comment by Jenn – September 9, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ditto, Ditto, and well said… I was thinking the same thing! ;)

Nikita
        Supernatural
        Sanctuary

Comment by Miss Suzanne – September 9, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha! I’m the same way about the CW stigma. I find myself apologizing for the network when I tell friends how fantastic a couple of their shows really are…or saying, “just trust me” a lot.

Comment by Jen88 – September 9, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too will be watching the CW on more than one night this season. Haven’t done that for years. Perhaps with new management and these older skewing shows, there will come a time when I can boast about the CW instead of mumbling its name.

Also, I loved season 6 too.

Comment by Dahne – September 11, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK and FRINGE.

Comment by kevin – September 9, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hate they are making me choose between chuck and nikita.

Comment by jen – September 9, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have thing. CSI:NY then Blue Bloods ;) Makes my Friday :)

Comment by Kristina – September 9, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll probably DVR “Young Justice” on Cartoon Network and that’s about it for Fridays.

Comment by SK – September 9, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita at the same time as Chuck?! Who invented it?! Lol.
    NIKITA! <3
    and SPN (:

Comment by Ann – September 9, 2011 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea, this is some pretty ridiculously stupid scheduling by NBC. They’ve set it up so their main competition is their sister network. Chuck vs Nikita, Grimm vs Supernatural (vs Fringe…who picked that time?)…it’s audience cannibalism for no good reason.

Comment by ev – September 9, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fringe originally moved to Friday nights 6 months before Supernatural announced they were moving to Fridays. I was ecstatic when Fringe made the move since Fringe and SPN are the only shows I watch these days. Of course, I can never have nice things so SPN followed Fringe.

Comment by Luke – September 10, 2011 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • In the US, Supernatural was on Fridays a full 4 months before Fringe moved there. Supernatural started the 2010-2011 season on Fridays, being paired up with Smallville again. I thought Fringe moved to Fridays mid-season (Jan. 2011). I remember the huge debate on whether either show would lose viewers from being in the same timeslot and then the upcry of Supernatural’s return being pushed back a week in January and how that would affect ratings. Thankfully, the statistics proved that neither show impacted the other ratings wise.

Comment by Dahne – September 11, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck, Fringe & Bill Maher. I plan to check out Grimm.

Comment by Mary – September 9, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural all the way!! Can’t wait to see what my boys get into this season :)

Comment by Kate – September 9, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NIKITAAA <33

Comment by Niki – September 9, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita and Fringe all the way!

Comment by francis – September 9, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone help me decide what to watch at 8!

I have never watched Nikita but since it’s on before Supernatural, I thought I may as well watch that and not bother switching networks. Should I try out this show even though I’ve never watched it and it looks to be a complete rip-off of Alias (even down to the “6 years ago”, double agent and “dead boyfriend” stuff)?

I have watched a couple of episodes of Chuck and felt it was too comedic for my taste (I prefer serious spy shows like Alias). Should I watch its last season since it’s basically commitment-free?

A Gifted Man looks like a male version of Ghost Whisperer. I hate the idea of supporting CBS after cancelling GW, which was a really good show. But Julie Benz is on it and I can’t resist her siren’s call.

The other two shows are not even on my radar.

Comment by Sivat – September 9, 2011 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • watch Nikita, this is the best show ever (:

Comment by Shaunee – September 9, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As an Alias fan, I say go for it. They’re not that similar.

Comment by Dick Whitman – September 9, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, not a fan of this version of Nikita. I was a huge fan of the USA Network version “La Femme Nikita” a few years back and feel that this new version is totally ruining it’s predicessor . If they were gonna bring it back, they should’ve at least went for the original storyline and picked up where it left off! Personally, I’m not sure what I’ll be watching at 8pm on Fridays but I will not be missing SUPERNATURAL at 9pm and Blue Bloods at 10pm!!!

Comment by Cheryl – September 9, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so hard to answer, because technically, I never watch anything LIVE. I always wait at least 20 minutes into the show before I watch so I can skip all the commercials. But if I had to say which one and in what order I watched after DVR’ing them…Fringe, CSI:NY, then Chuck (only because I would have to wait until my husband had time to sit and watch it with me) :-)

Comment by shall30 – September 9, 2011 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “This is not a popularity contest. Organizing a robo-vote for a certain show will not get Jared and Jensen to drop by your book club. So have faith in the merit of your individual choices, then watch to see how many others legitimately line up aside you.”

HA! Could we please have this disclaimer on ALL polls from now on! Nice to know that the organizers get just as weary of all the hysterics as the rest of us!

Comment by Alice – September 9, 2011 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just accept that Supernatural have a very loyal fandom who know how under rated the show is and pull out all the stops to get behind them in a poll! Bots don’t come into it! But believe that if it helps you!

Comment by Nics – September 9, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I REALLY, REALLY resent SN fans being singled out for this sort of Snarky comment about cheating. I know a LOT of people who stayed up until all hours many, many nights voting until our wrists hurt to win those polls.

And assuming that, yes, there probably ARE a few people who try to cheat and use ‘bots, you can bet there are some from EVERY fandom doing the exact same thing, so it probably all balances out in the end. (To think NO ONE from YOUR show would EVER resort to using ‘bots is ludicrously naive.)

So if you want to give a “no cheating” warning, FINE! But direct it to EVERYBODY and not just aim it at us SN fans because we’ve won so many of the polls we’ve participated in!

Comment by Janice – September 9, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wait, the Supernatural fandom has book clubs? I thought they just have conventions. Where the actors DO show up at.

Comment by Derp – September 10, 2011 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • THANK YOU!! LOVED YOUR COMMENT!

Jared and Jensen do meet with us on lots of conventions ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Comment by adri – September 12, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • touché! Though their probably are bookclubs, SPN fans are pretty smart well read group.

Comment by raelee514 – September 19, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well said, Janice. I totally agree.

Comment by Nic – September 10, 2011 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Clearly, you haven’t seen the other polls with other such disclaimers. Tuesday’s had Mark Salling from Glee, Thursday’s had Ian Somerhalder from The Vampire Diaries, etc. So no, Supernatural is not being singled out, and frankly, it’s a bit egotistical to think that you were.

Comment by Meghan – September 10, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t do book clubs nor would I care if Jared and Jensen showed up…I watch Supernatural because it’s an Awesome show! Fantastic cast,crew,storylines and fans..That is why I personally vote for Supernatural in any poll!!

Comment by Kristy Kandiko – September 11, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!

Comment by Nicole – September 9, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural!

Comment by cimberly – September 9, 2011 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural Season 7 :)

Comment by zulema lino – September 9, 2011 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck and Sanctuary, I’ll probably check out Grimm, concept sounds good.

Comment by Matthew – September 9, 2011 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where is the option for “I DVR everything and never watch anything live”?

Comment by Lord Vader III – September 9, 2011 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to give A Gifted Man a shot before I make up my mind between that and Chuck. Chuck starts later, so I can see which one needs to be live and which DVR.

And Fringe. Always, always Fringe. Hands down, the only returning show I’m looking forward to this fall.

Comment by Kristin – September 9, 2011 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A GIFTED MAN

Comment by Tammy – September 9, 2011 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sivat – Nikita is the best series ever! Really (: Watch few episodes, you will love Nikita (:

Comment by Ann – September 9, 2011 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without a doubt, NIKITA!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Betty – September 9, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck and Fringe.

Comment by Sofia – September 9, 2011 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe!!! Grimm is coming out in October against two shows of the same genre…Its dead already,people at NBC need to think smarter.

Comment by Shar – September 9, 2011 08:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s a smart move and it benefits all networks. Thanks to success that Smallville, Fringe, Supernatural have had on Fridays at least they’re trying to make the night competitive again instead of burning off episodes of “all but pronounced dead” shows.

That being said, I’ll still be watching Fringe (when I’m home that night) lol

Comment by Mike – September 9, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can they put all good shows on the same day and hour????

Comment by arabela – September 9, 2011 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is my complaint too! Friday at 9:00 is insane. I voted other only because I’m not sure between Supernatural and Fringe which one I will be watching live, even though I DVR both of them. I’ll try to catch Grimm on my cable providers Primetime On Demand channel.

Comment by elr – September 9, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch live or dvr Supernatural!! (best most consistant show on tv), Fringe (right up there with Supernatural), Chuck, Sanctutary, and possibly check out Grimm. Also young justice.

Comment by Dave – September 9, 2011 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My answer’s almost the same, Dave! Chuck (warm, funny show), Supernatural (best show on TV), and Sanctuary (another warm show, and pretty, and just plain fun), and I’ll check out Grimm on the DVR. I dropped Fringe first season, which I regret…someday I’ll pick it up on DVD. ;-)

Comment by Cara – September 9, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m watching Fringe and gonna record Grimm to try.

Comment by Kate – September 9, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely nothing. Will be awaiting the return of Shark Tank which was suppose to return this fall! Stupid ABC!

Comment by chris – September 9, 2011 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita FTW!

Comment by Captain – September 9, 2011 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural. And I love the caveat, SPN fans can be relentless.

Comment by Trina – September 9, 2011 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A few good shows, but i’ll be probably dvr’ing most of these shows. Fridays get busy around here during football season. :)

Comment by Stacy – September 9, 2011 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to watch A Gifted Man, it sounds interesting to me. Then my Friday favorites, CSI:NY and Blue Bloods.

Comment by Juliab. – September 9, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch Chuck and Fringe, DVR Supernatural.

Comment by Liz – September 9, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita is the only show i will b watching live, 4 the simple fact that is the BEST SHOW. Nikita FTW

Comment by Marie – September 9, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Chuck and Grimm, but I’ll be DVRing them and then watching them without commercials. People watch live tv still?

Comment by Kat – September 9, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It says LIVE, so everyone should watch Nikita to help with ratings! I love Chuck, but I know that it is the last season, so it is not as imperative to watch it live :)

Comment by Hannah – September 9, 2011 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just Fringe. Will be first season I’ll be watching live as I caught up on the first three seasons on DVD earlier this year. Fantastic show!

Comment by Alex – September 9, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friday means NIKITA

Comment by Bealbort – September 9, 2011 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nikita live. FTFW.

Comment by Sabrina – September 9, 2011 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck all te wayy it’s n

Comment by Kay – September 9, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CSI: NY! Funny it’s 4th place in the poll but will surely hit 1st place when Nielsen ratings come.

Comment by King – September 9, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DVR Grimm and Fringe, DVR Blue Bloods and of course The Soup. Such an easy night!

Comment by Meghan – September 9, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post