Exclusive

Cougar Town Exclusive: Sarah Chalke Scrubs In For Major Arc As Bobby's Love Interest

Here are seven words guaranteed to leave you feeling drunk with happiness: Sarah Chalke is headed to Cougar Town.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that the Scrubs MVP is joining ABC’s wine-soaked comedy for a major arc as a love interest for Brian Van Holt’s Bobby. The gig reunites Chalke with her former Scrubs boss (and C-Town co-creator) Bill Lawrence.

Fall TV Survival Guide: News, Scoops, Premiere Calendar and More

Her character, Angie, is described as a natural beauty with a cool vibe who meets Bobby through his son Travis (she’s his photography professor at college).

I’m told that Chalke, who last headlined CBS’ short-loved sitcom Mad Love, is signed for multiple episodes of the show’s still-unscheduled (grrrr) third season.

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Cougar Town‘s Upcoming Latest Scrubs Reference

This marks the fourth Scrubs vet Lawrence has welcomed into the cul-de-sac crew since the series’ debut, following stints by Ken Jenkins (as dad to Courteney Cox’s Jules) and Sam Lloyd (reprising his role as Scrubs‘ Ted), plus Robert Clendenin’s ongoing run as neighbor Tom. The number jumps to six if you include Zach Braff’s “cameo” last spring and Scott Foley’s Season 1 arc as Jules’ boyfriend.

Cougar Town Name ‘Not Around Much Longer’ – What Would You Title the Show?

Thoughts? Are you as tipsy with anticipation as I am? And which Scrubs alum should invade C-Town next? Hit the comments!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Hillary says:

And don’t forget Christa Miller was on Scrubs and is married to Bill Lawrence.

2. JB says:

Tom, the awkward neighbor, was previously the creepy swinging Doctor Zeltzer on Scrubs as well.

3. Leah says:

What does he mean Zach Braff’s “cameo” last spring? Did I miss something??

4. João Amaral says:

YEAHHH!!!!!

Now the only ones left are Johnny C, Donald, Neil and Judy.

5. Josh says:

How on earth does Sarah Chalke not have a show of her own? She needs to be in everything, always until that happens.

• Amanda says:

She did. Mad Love. Sucked. Cancelled.

• DL says:

The pilot episode of Mad Love was really funny. It had as many good jokes as bad, but the dialogue was so quick that it made sure there were some laughs in every minute of airtime.

And then, for some unknown reason, the writing just spiraled down the toilet. Not that it was brilliant to begin with, but the pace of the show slowed down to the point that when punchlines missed, they just left you hanging with nothing to pick you back up.

Writing comedy is not an easy task, but with Biggs being pleasantly endearing, Chalke being adorable and charming, and Tyler Labine and Judy Greer just being awesome, Mad Love should have been way better than it turned out to be.

• Sarah says:

Agreed. Mad Love could have been okay but Sarah Chalke was the worst thing about that show. I really can’t stand her acting, I find her annoying. Not excited for this arc, hope it doesn’t last.

• PJM says:

Eh, she was second-worst. But she was playing the straight-woman, so that doesn’t help. Tyler Labine can’t act to save his life. He came off as a half-rate Jim Belushi. (Yeah, that’s how bad he was.)

• Adrew says:

mad love was amazing. of the top 100 shows on television, it was ranked in the top 50. cbs was a fool for canceling the show.

6. Ram510 says:

I like that Sarah will be on the show.

I had a idea fit a name change inspired from the first paragragh – Friends & Happiness.

7. Bindii says:

Zach also had a cameo in an episode when Scrubs was playing on Jules’ tv in the background

8. Sivat says:

Ooooh Second Becky! I love her!!

9. Pete317 says:

The Todd! He transfers to a local hospital and goes on a date with Laurie.

10. Chris says:

What a waste of talent on this garbage show.

11. Elizabeth says:

I love this show. One of my fav comedies right now.
    Lucky Sarah. Brian Van Holt is hot.

12. whowantsarabbit says:

well she beter be nicer 2 bobby than she was 2 ted

13. v says:

I am probably the only one that doesn’t like this news?

14. Ded says:

I love that “Elliot” will be on the show. How cool would it be to have “JD” play a past love interest and have him show up with his friend “Turk” to try and and win her back but falls for Laurie? Kind of like Scrubs Revisited. How I do miss that show. Ahh, sweet bliss… Cougar Town Rocks!

15. B says:

Hmm…maybe the new name could be Scrubs 2?

In all seriousness, Bringing her on board can only help. I loved the show as is (though I have only seen Season 2, not an episode before that) but I think what I liked so much was the resemblance to Scrubs with the snarky, well-written humor. Just don’t bring Zak Braff on. He started to wear on me in the latter seasons of Scrubs.

16. matt says:

Ugh I hate Sarah Chalke. Scrubs is my all time favorite sitcom, but she got so annoying post seaason 5-ish. Also, she was terrible on one of my other favorite shows How I Met Your Mother. I love Cougar Town, but this really sucks, hopefully it is not a long arc.

17. kat says:

Glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks she is one of the most annoying actresses on TV. I used to tolerate her – not so much anymore. I will turn off the TV rather than watch her.

18. G. says:

The Janitor!! :)

19. Robyn says:

Love Cougar Town, Love Sarah, I think it will be great. I soo miss Scrubs.

20. Glenda says:

Janitor is too busy being “In The Middle”

21. tim says:

this is awesome, first off, ted should return again and again in cougar town hahah, and of course johnny c should guest star, maybe as a golf challenger against bobby or something, i’d also love to see matthew perry who obviously was on scrubs and friends, but i’d love to see him have a guest spot on cougar town as well… and michael j fox, and brendan fraiser, really, bill lawrence is just awesome with guest stars haha

• Dee Grant says:

Bill Lawrence Rocks! I love Cougar town as much as I loved Scrubs. I would be so happy to see Donald F. make an appearance some time too.

22. adrew says:

they need Dr Cox

23. Karen Watchorn says:

second Becky would be great with Bobby! every character is great on the show, it better be back!!! we laugh harder at this show than the other Wed. night line up shows

24. Jackie says:

<3s Cougar Town!! My hubby surprised me with Season 2 on DVD last night! YAYYYY! I would LOVE it if they did a contest to have a guest appearance on the show or something along those lines…as for Scrubs alum, I think it's a toss up between Donald Faison or John C. McGinley! Both would be great additions to the show. Another good person to throw to the "Cougs" would be Michael J. Fox!! (I'm just sayin')

WHAT is the deal with putting off Season 3 til AFTER DWTS?!? Was that in Courtney's separation agreement with David? Is it because she's doing better than he is? So sorry David but I would much rather watch Cougar Town than DWTS!

25. Pete says:

Bill Lawrence is known for having great relationships with actors from previous shows. Every main character from Spin City made an appearance on Scrubs and he is just keeping up with his own tradition. I don’t think that Cougar Town is as great of a show as Scrubs was, but it is still better than most of the other short lived comedies out there these days.

26. pshaw says:

I would like to see “The Todd” on in a similar role as he is awesomely cheesy and disgustingly obnoxious, yet I still love him!

27. Laugh says:

Frick! Frick! Frick! So happy to see Second Becky!

28. Krystan says:

I have a brilliant idea. The culdesac crew should try and make their group more ethnically diverse by inviting their newest neighbors, played by Donald and Judy, to hang. Chaos and hilarity ensues. They could be swingers trying to get one of the couples or something weird like that.

29. jonathon richards says:

i’d love to see the whole gang apprear in one scene as there characters from scrubs