Cougar Town Name 'Not Around Much Longer' – What Would You Title the Show?

Cougar Town cocreator Bill Lawrence has news for fans of the ABC comedy: “Those that loved the title…. [It's] not around for much longer.”

Lawrence floated that likelihood on Twitter Thursday night, reigniting a dialogue that has dogged the show since Episode 1.

Although at the start Courteney Cox’s divorcée found herself romping with younger guys, that conceit was dropped early into the show’s freshman run, allowing the well-cast comedy to change course, find new footing and emerge as a very strong ensemble effort.

UPDATE: More pragmatically, Lawrence says that ABC research shows there are a “high number of men that will NEVER sample show called [Cougar Town], even those that liked it once they screened an epsiode.” Also problematic is the “incredibly high rate of fans who will not/or can’t get friends to watch due to the title.”

Cougar Town Season 3 Scoop: Baby Talk, Title Change (?), and [Spoiler] In a Wedding Dress (?!)

I broke the news about Lawrence pondering a Cougar Town name-change — to better court potential viewers who were likely turned off by the provocative, sexual predator concept — back in January 2010, for TV Guide Magazine, if that gives you an idea of how long this issue has been banging around. But with Season 3 being held for a midseason berth (it will air Tuesdays at 9/8c, once Dancing With the Stars exits the primetime dance floor), there apparently is still time to cage the Cougar in deference to something better.

ABC’s Fall Premiere Schedule: Cougar Town Corked Until Winter

These days, Lawrence seems to be entertaining Sunshine State (previously off-the-table, because Mr. Sunshine aired on ABC), Friends With Beverages and The Drinking Age as possible titles. Use this poll to throw your weight behind any of the oft-mentioned candidates, or propose one of your own.

TVLine’s Fall TV Survival Guide: News, Scoops, Premiere Calendar and More

Tags: ,

Comments (270)

• I just realized that the headline says it all. The new name will be: NOT AROUND MUCH LONGER.

Comment by jaykay – September 9, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • MODERN FRIENDS

Comment by BUSY PHILLIPS – September 9, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Fun Bunch

Comment by Alex Neuman – September 9, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Count me amongst those that don’t watch and will never watch the show because of the title. I mean, Scrubs was my favorite show of the ’00′s, and I normally would have watched whatever Bill Lawrence’s next project was, but I just can’t bring myself to sit down and watch something called ‘Cougar Town.’

Note producers of ‘The Good Wife’ this goes for you too.

Comment by MissionFever – September 9, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i feel sorry for you.

as another poster mentioned, you probably won’t read “Moby Dick” either.

Comment by flutiefan – September 9, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My suggestion is:
    “The Boat, The Bar, and the Cul-De-Sac”

This name would play into the locations where 90% of the action takes place with a play on words of the populare film “The Lion,the Witch, and the Wardrobe”

Comment by J.Norman – September 9, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not bad actually. i kind of like the way it sounds and it is straight forward in a way that suits the show.

Comment by murley – September 9, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Something a bit bit smoother like “The Boat, The Bar, and Home” or “The Boat, The Bar, then Home” then to be referred to as BBH.

Comment by forrest – September 9, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I don’t think they should change the name. So I decided to vote for “other” and I offer up…

Friends 2: Electric Boogaloo

You’re welcome, ABC.

Comment by The Squatch – September 9, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Carl

Comment by jen s – September 9, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! The true star of the show!

Comment by sarcasmo – September 9, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everyone Loves Cox

Comment by Joe – September 9, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No! I love reading the jokes about the name on the title card. Cougar Town is one of the funniest shows on TV, I’m sad it won’t be back on until mid-season!!

Comment by Kat – September 9, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch them change the title just to find that even more people stopped watching it. I like the show’s title and the show itself and began to watch it close to the end of season 1. The reasons I didn’t want to watch it initially were: 1) I thought it would be a mediocre Scrubs replacement and 2) Courteney Cox: she was great it “Friends” but she tends to play Monica-esque characters and her short-lived stint on “Scrubs” didn’t impress me. The only reason I gave the show a chance was Bill Lawrence and his impressive body of work (Spin City, Scrubs, etc.) I am glad I did. Don’t change the title and just focus on making the show as funny as the first 2 seasons.

Comment by Minnehaha – September 9, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh “Better With Age” doesn’t sound too bad

Comment by R – September 9, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s actually really good. I think they should go with this. Yes, you are a genius “R” (or whoever came up with it).

Comment by Michael – September 9, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS. It just seems so obvious. Why haven’t they thought of this one??

Comment by Beth – September 9, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow. that is kind of brilliant. seems obvious and it isn’t a pun that makes me want to throw up a little. fitting, double meaning and easy to remember, clever… this feels like a winner.

Comment by murley – September 9, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay, not as good as my suggestions (“Cox” and “de Sac”), but in the universe of titles that a network show could actually be named, this is clearly the best I’ve seen. Good job, R!

(I’m not referring to you by name. I’m a pirate.)

Comment by Drew Melbourne – September 9, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ‘Better With Age’ is not bad at all… Definitely the best suggestion so far.

Comment by Maru – September 13, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt – are some of these name options you being creative? I don’t think any of these are good changes, frankly.

Comment by Todd – September 9, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, the poll options are all candidates mentioned at one time or another by the producers. My best suggestion has been “Court’s Crew” (to sound like “corkscrew”). And that is why I am here.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 9, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • tell them about “better with age”. it is in line with where they seem to want to go with the title but is much better than any of the options in the poll.

Comment by murley – September 9, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh! “Better With Age” is also a great title for rebranding purposes. “Why start watching a show three seasons in? Well…”

Comment by Drew Melbourne – September 9, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes times a million. I may have named my fantasy football.team this in honor of cougar town

Comment by shell – September 9, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How ’bout “Jules Town” cuz the show revolves around her, “Bros & Hoes” cuz that just sounds amusing, or The Penny-Wine Crew cuz that’s all I can think of haha =)

Comment by Sally – September 9, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s an idea, how about we just leave the name alone and enjoy the show for the hilarious show that it is, and for its talented cast. While the name doesn’t exactly agree with the tone of the show anymore, I am very used to Cougartown and have absolutely no problem with it. Enjoy the show, people; don’t try to mess with a good thing.

Comment by Justin – September 9, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because, Justin, ratings are really low, and if they don’t find new viewers (that are discouraged by the current name but may watch with a different title) the show will be axed for sure, so let’s all find new suggestions! Mine is BODY OF WHINE

Comment by H – September 11, 2011 04:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ops, my bad: BODY OF WINE

Comment by H – September 11, 2011 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just “Cul de Sac.” No “Crew” needed in the name.
    And @Jane’s suggestion of “Friends Without Boundaries” is pretty good!

Comment by susela – September 9, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To steal a line from Andy (I think) “Bitches Be Trippin’”. It would certainly create a buzz.

Comment by EJC3 – September 9, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What station does “Good Christian Bitches” come on? These would be perfect together! (yes, I know they changed it to “Bells”. How disappointing.)

Comment by Tammy – September 9, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe they should do like Prince and just use a symbol instead of a name. :-)

Comment by LDSK – September 9, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I think if you change the name now, you risk losing busy viewers who might not notice that “Fill in the Blank” is Cougar Town and when they look for Cougar Town on Wednesdays, might just think it has been canceled. Keep the name. My favorite part of the show is the witty phrases they put under the title on the opening credits. I don’t usually watch the credits, but on this show I make a point to see what snarky comment they made this week. Keep the name, it’s already the third season and this show is geared toward women anyway. I don’t think a name change will bring in more men—unless you have promo ads with a naked Courteney Cox.

Comment by Lolie – September 9, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • okay….how ’bout “Used To Be Cougar Town” ?

Comment by forrest – September 9, 2011 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “… —unless you have promo ads with a naked Courteney Cox.” sorry, that approach has already been done by GoDaddy.com -

Comment by forrest – September 9, 2011 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the current name, non of these are really good and if you change it, it would have to be awesome so unless that happens don’t change the name

Comment by Juan – September 9, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Wine Knott”

Sound like “why not” when you say it, incluldes their favorite beverage, and implies there are strong ties amongst the characters…

Comment by Drew – September 9, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally always liked “Family Jules” but Bill Lawrence already vetoed that.

My personal votes for the title would be
    “The Cul De Sac”
    “The Cul De Sac Crew”
    “Wine Time”
    “Red or White”

Comment by Grey – September 9, 2011 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Probably at this point, given the show was reduced to a mid season replacement, the chances of it getting a 4th season are slim so they may as well go for broke. That said, I really wish I came up with “Better With Age”, cuz that’s the winning title right there.

Comment by Damian – September 9, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow, good call. You should twitter that to Bill Lawrence. “Better With Age” is a good one.

Comment by Grey – September 9, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree. i think we should all start writing in “better with age” and voting for it. dark horse candidate for the win!

Comment by murley – September 9, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the name Cougar Town, and don’t understand the need to change it. Plus all these suggestions are pretty bad and don’t fit the show at all. Cul de Sac Crew or maybe Wine and Family are my votes.

Comment by lacey – September 9, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It has to be MODERN FRIENDS.

Comment by Poodle – September 9, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY change the name at all!?!
    I mean it’s a great title, we love the show ” Cougar Town”…I would never call it not Cougar town…

Comment by l – September 9, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘The Family Jules and Big Carl Present “The Penny Can Show” Brought to You By “Wine”‘

No but seriously.. ‘The Family Jules’ is the best title option.. I can’t believe they are even considering anything else.

Random suggestions:
    ‘J-Bird’s Fam’
    ‘Wine Taste’
    ‘Laugh!’
    ‘Danny Pudi Cameo’
    ‘Wrong Balls’
    ‘Lou Diamond Phillip’s Town’
    ‘Jealous Much?’
    ‘All About Tom’
    ‘Jules Brigade’
    ‘Jules and Fam’
    ‘Grape on the Cobb’
    ‘Cobbles and Bits’
    ‘Friend Test’
    ‘In Cobb We Trust’
    ‘Sexy Townie Hoes’
    ‘House of Cobb’

most of those are terrible obviously but some are decent

Comment by Jooshua – September 9, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really, some are decent? Which ones?

Comment by I. M. Skeptical – September 9, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My suggestions were a joke.. based on how awful the choices were in the poll.. But I thought ‘House of Cobb’ was decent.. a lot better than ‘Pounding Grape’ and ‘Penny Can’.. considering they don’t even play penny can in every episode.. and Travis isn’t even old enough to pound grape.

Comment by Jooshua – September 9, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about “Idiots Sitting Around Drinking Out of Comically Oversized and Comically Named Glasses”

Comment by Mik – September 9, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they’re all awefully boring!! it’s an incredibly stupid idea to change the name. ridiculous.

Comment by sandra – September 9, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cobbled Together

Comment by thoroughbredofsin – September 9, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That Show With Courtney Cox.
    They shouldn’t change the name. It’s crap, yes, but it will make it more confusing instead of helping. Plus it won’t have many seasons to come, so by the time they finally pick the new one, it will be canceled.

Comment by Leo – September 9, 2011 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just call it “Welcome to”.

Comment by raftrap – September 9, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also like “Better With Age” as the best possible titel so far. The easiest solution is to just change the name of the Town they live in. Make it a joke in the shows first episode that the people in the Town voted to legally change its name. They should have milked this for all it’s worth and had America vote to give the town its new name/Title of Show… A similar idea was used back in 1995 on The Simpsons, where you called in for clues to try to solve Who Shot Mr. Burns. (Maggie is the answer btw)

Comment by Eric – September 9, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • deja vu all over again with, “Women of a Certain Age” – not on TNT

Comment by forrest – September 9, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as any title with Friends in it has the same Friends logo as Cox’s NBC show.

Comment by Mark – September 9, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I’m not warming up to the suggestions on the poll.

I know my suggestions won’t be that much greater, but if we all give our ideas, maybe somebody else can come up with something better mixing it all up. And let’s hope Bill Lawrence is reading us, too.

-Friends&Wine
    -The Cul-de-sac Crew
    -The Circle
    -Wine, Whine, Wine

Comment by tamara – September 9, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty much every suggestion is absolutely terrible. All so cheesey.

The ONLY one I’ve heard which would be acceptable is “Family Jules”, because it’s not making some lame reference to drinking or being old. It’s about family, it’s about Jules, it’s tongue-in-cheek.

Other than that I’d rather they just kept “Cougar Town” – it’s what I’m always gonna know the show as anyway…

Comment by DW – September 9, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jules’ World

Life with Jules!

Comment by Terry – September 9, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeeeeah, she’s pretty hot.

Comment by JB Smooove – September 9, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is written in a way that the ensemble cast drinks allot and that they are always a good group of loyal friends.. so Friends with Beverages is obv the best pick IMO *yawn*

Comment by 4ToTheFloor – September 9, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wine Town!

Comment by Jesse – September 9, 2011 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still prefer “The Family Jules.”. Sums up what the show is actually about now.

Comment by Chris – September 9, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Friends with Beverages” is perfect on so many levels.

Comment by Ben – September 9, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE TITLE – LEAVE IT AS COUGAR TOWN. How would you release the show on dvd? let’s say they change it to Grown Ups… would it be released as Grown Ups the Complete first season… or Grown Ups – Cougar Town the complete third season?

Comment by Kevin – September 9, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “That Cougar Show We Can’t Call Cougar Anymore” – wait that sounds like something out of Saturday Night Live – another NBC show……

Comment by forrest – September 9, 2011 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Whine Club

Comment by china blue – September 9, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah, I don’t find myself to be attracted to any of these names. I wish I could think of something better, but I really can’t. Grown ups MIGHT be the best choice of the bunch if not for the confusion with the Adam Sandler movie of the same name.

Comment by Amber – September 9, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still like “Family Jules” myself.

Comment by Summer – September 9, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since it follows “Modern Family” how about “Old Friends?”

Comment by Skip – September 9, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i hate the idea of changing the name. but if it’s inevitable, i voted “other” and wrote in “Better With Age”.

Comment by flutiefan – September 9, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually don’t mind the name Cougar Town name — but if they are going to change it the only name I see that I like is Cul De Sac Crew. It references the show and is just fun

Comment by colin – September 9, 2011 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post