Cougar Town Name 'Not Around Much Longer' - What Would You Title the Show?

Cougar Town cocreator Bill Lawrence has news for fans of the ABC comedy: “Those that loved the title…. [It's] not around for much longer.”

Lawrence floated that likelihood on Twitter Thursday night, reigniting a dialogue that has dogged the show since Episode 1.

Although at the start Courteney Cox’s divorcée found herself romping with younger guys, that conceit was dropped early into the show’s freshman run, allowing the well-cast comedy to change course, find new footing and emerge as a very strong ensemble effort.

UPDATE: More pragmatically, Lawrence says that ABC research shows there are a “high number of men that will NEVER sample show called [Cougar Town], even those that liked it once they screened an epsiode.” Also problematic is the “incredibly high rate of fans who will not/or can’t get friends to watch due to the title.”

Cougar Town Season 3 Scoop: Baby Talk, Title Change (?), and [Spoiler] In a Wedding Dress (?!)

I broke the news about Lawrence pondering a Cougar Town name-change — to better court potential viewers who were likely turned off by the provocative, sexual predator concept — back in January 2010, for TV Guide Magazine, if that gives you an idea of how long this issue has been banging around. But with Season 3 being held for a midseason berth (it will air Tuesdays at 9/8c, once Dancing With the Stars exits the primetime dance floor), there apparently is still time to cage the Cougar in deference to something better.

ABC’s Fall Premiere Schedule: Cougar Town Corked Until Winter

These days, Lawrence seems to be entertaining Sunshine State (previously off-the-table, because Mr. Sunshine aired on ABC), Friends With Beverages and The Drinking Age as possible titles. Use this poll to throw your weight behind any of the oft-mentioned candidates, or propose one of your own.

TVLine’s Fall TV Survival Guide: News, Scoops, Premiere Calendar and More

1. jaykay says:

I just realized that the headline says it all. The new name will be: NOT AROUND MUCH LONGER.

2. Alex Neuman says:

The Fun Bunch

3. MissionFever says:

Count me amongst those that don’t watch and will never watch the show because of the title. I mean, Scrubs was my favorite show of the ’00’s, and I normally would have watched whatever Bill Lawrence’s next project was, but I just can’t bring myself to sit down and watch something called ‘Cougar Town.’

Note producers of ‘The Good Wife’ this goes for you too.

4. J.Norman says:

My suggestion is:
    “The Boat, The Bar, and the Cul-De-Sac”

This name would play into the locations where 90% of the action takes place with a play on words of the populare film “The Lion,the Witch, and the Wardrobe”

• murley says:

not bad actually. i kind of like the way it sounds and it is straight forward in a way that suits the show.

• forrest says:

Something a bit bit smoother like “The Boat, The Bar, and Home” or “The Boat, The Bar, then Home” then to be referred to as BBH.

5. The Squatch says:

Personally, I don’t think they should change the name. So I decided to vote for “other” and I offer up…

Friends 2: Electric Boogaloo

You’re welcome, ABC.

6. Joe says:

Everyone Loves Cox

7. Kat says:

No! I love reading the jokes about the name on the title card. Cougar Town is one of the funniest shows on TV, I’m sad it won’t be back on until mid-season!!

8. Minnehaha says:

Watch them change the title just to find that even more people stopped watching it. I like the show’s title and the show itself and began to watch it close to the end of season 1. The reasons I didn’t want to watch it initially were: 1) I thought it would be a mediocre Scrubs replacement and 2) Courteney Cox: she was great it “Friends” but she tends to play Monica-esque characters and her short-lived stint on “Scrubs” didn’t impress me. The only reason I gave the show a chance was Bill Lawrence and his impressive body of work (Spin City, Scrubs, etc.) I am glad I did. Don’t change the title and just focus on making the show as funny as the first 2 seasons.

9. R says:

oh “Better With Age” doesn’t sound too bad

• Michael says:

That’s actually really good. I think they should go with this. Yes, you are a genius “R” (or whoever came up with it).

• Beth says:

THIS. It just seems so obvious. Why haven’t they thought of this one??

• murley says:

wow. that is kind of brilliant. seems obvious and it isn’t a pun that makes me want to throw up a little. fitting, double meaning and easy to remember, clever… this feels like a winner.

• Drew Melbourne says:

Okay, not as good as my suggestions (“Cox” and “de Sac”), but in the universe of titles that a network show could actually be named, this is clearly the best I’ve seen. Good job, R!

(I’m not referring to you by name. I’m a pirate.)

• Maru says:

‘Better With Age’ is not bad at all… Definitely the best suggestion so far.

10. Todd says:

Matt – are some of these name options you being creative? I don’t think any of these are good changes, frankly.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No, the poll options are all candidates mentioned at one time or another by the producers. My best suggestion has been “Court’s Crew” (to sound like “corkscrew”). And that is why I am here.

• murley says:

tell them about “better with age”. it is in line with where they seem to want to go with the title but is much better than any of the options in the poll.

• Drew Melbourne says:

Oh! “Better With Age” is also a great title for rebranding purposes. “Why start watching a show three seasons in? Well…”

11. shell says:

Yes times a million. I may have named my fantasy football.team this in honor of cougar town

12. Sally says:

How ’bout “Jules Town” cuz the show revolves around her, “Bros & Hoes” cuz that just sounds amusing, or The Penny-Wine Crew cuz that’s all I can think of haha =)

13. Justin says:

Here’s an idea, how about we just leave the name alone and enjoy the show for the hilarious show that it is, and for its talented cast. While the name doesn’t exactly agree with the tone of the show anymore, I am very used to Cougartown and have absolutely no problem with it. Enjoy the show, people; don’t try to mess with a good thing.

• H says:

Because, Justin, ratings are really low, and if they don’t find new viewers (that are discouraged by the current name but may watch with a different title) the show will be axed for sure, so let’s all find new suggestions! Mine is BODY OF WHINE

14. susela says:

Just “Cul de Sac.” No “Crew” needed in the name.
    And @Jane’s suggestion of “Friends Without Boundaries” is pretty good!

15. EJC3 says:

To steal a line from Andy (I think) “Bitches Be Trippin'”. It would certainly create a buzz.

• Tammy says:

What station does “Good Christian Bitches” come on? These would be perfect together! (yes, I know they changed it to “Bells”. How disappointing.)

16. LDSK says:

Maybe they should do like Prince and just use a symbol instead of a name. :-)

17. Lolie says:

Honestly, I think if you change the name now, you risk losing busy viewers who might not notice that “Fill in the Blank” is Cougar Town and when they look for Cougar Town on Wednesdays, might just think it has been canceled. Keep the name. My favorite part of the show is the witty phrases they put under the title on the opening credits. I don’t usually watch the credits, but on this show I make a point to see what snarky comment they made this week. Keep the name, it’s already the third season and this show is geared toward women anyway. I don’t think a name change will bring in more men—unless you have promo ads with a naked Courteney Cox.

18. Juan says:

I like the current name, non of these are really good and if you change it, it would have to be awesome so unless that happens don’t change the name

19. Drew says:

“Wine Knott”

Sound like “why not” when you say it, incluldes their favorite beverage, and implies there are strong ties amongst the characters…

20. Grey says:

I personally always liked “Family Jules” but Bill Lawrence already vetoed that.

My personal votes for the title would be
    “The Cul De Sac”
    “The Cul De Sac Crew”
    “Wine Time”
    “Red or White”

21. Damian says:

Probably at this point, given the show was reduced to a mid season replacement, the chances of it getting a 4th season are slim so they may as well go for broke. That said, I really wish I came up with “Better With Age”, cuz that’s the winning title right there.

22. lacey says:

I like the name Cougar Town, and don’t understand the need to change it. Plus all these suggestions are pretty bad and don’t fit the show at all. Cul de Sac Crew or maybe Wine and Family are my votes.

23. Poodle says:

It has to be MODERN FRIENDS.

24. l says:

WHY change the name at all!?!
    I mean it’s a great title, we love the show ” Cougar Town”…I would never call it not Cougar town…

25. Jooshua says:

‘The Family Jules and Big Carl Present “The Penny Can Show” Brought to You By “Wine”‘

No but seriously.. ‘The Family Jules’ is the best title option.. I can’t believe they are even considering anything else.

Random suggestions:
    ‘J-Bird’s Fam’
    ‘Wine Taste’
    ‘Laugh!’
    ‘Danny Pudi Cameo’
    ‘Wrong Balls’
    ‘Lou Diamond Phillip’s Town’
    ‘Jealous Much?’
    ‘All About Tom’
    ‘Jules Brigade’
    ‘Jules and Fam’
    ‘Grape on the Cobb’
    ‘Cobbles and Bits’
    ‘Friend Test’
    ‘In Cobb We Trust’
    ‘Sexy Townie Hoes’
    ‘House of Cobb’

most of those are terrible obviously but some are decent

• I. M. Skeptical says:

Really, some are decent? Which ones?

• Jooshua says:

My suggestions were a joke.. based on how awful the choices were in the poll.. But I thought ‘House of Cobb’ was decent.. a lot better than ‘Pounding Grape’ and ‘Penny Can’.. considering they don’t even play penny can in every episode.. and Travis isn’t even old enough to pound grape.

26. Mik says:

How about “Idiots Sitting Around Drinking Out of Comically Oversized and Comically Named Glasses”

27. sandra says:

they’re all awefully boring!! it’s an incredibly stupid idea to change the name. ridiculous.

28. thoroughbredofsin says:

Cobbled Together

29. Leo says:

That Show With Courtney Cox.
    They shouldn’t change the name. It’s crap, yes, but it will make it more confusing instead of helping. Plus it won’t have many seasons to come, so by the time they finally pick the new one, it will be canceled.

30. raftrap says:

Just call it “Welcome to”.

31. Eric says:

I also like “Better With Age” as the best possible titel so far. The easiest solution is to just change the name of the Town they live in. Make it a joke in the shows first episode that the people in the Town voted to legally change its name. They should have milked this for all it’s worth and had America vote to give the town its new name/Title of Show… A similar idea was used back in 1995 on The Simpsons, where you called in for clues to try to solve Who Shot Mr. Burns. (Maggie is the answer btw)

32. Mark says:

As long as any title with Friends in it has the same Friends logo as Cox’s NBC show.

33. tamara says:

Yeah, I’m not warming up to the suggestions on the poll.

I know my suggestions won’t be that much greater, but if we all give our ideas, maybe somebody else can come up with something better mixing it all up. And let’s hope Bill Lawrence is reading us, too.

-Friends&Wine
    -The Cul-de-sac Crew
    -The Circle
    -Wine, Whine, Wine

34. DW says:

Pretty much every suggestion is absolutely terrible. All so cheesey.

The ONLY one I’ve heard which would be acceptable is “Family Jules”, because it’s not making some lame reference to drinking or being old. It’s about family, it’s about Jules, it’s tongue-in-cheek.

Other than that I’d rather they just kept “Cougar Town” – it’s what I’m always gonna know the show as anyway…

35. Terry says:

Jules’ World

Life with Jules!

36. JB Smooove says:

Yeeeeah, she’s pretty hot.

37. 4ToTheFloor says:

The show is written in a way that the ensemble cast drinks allot and that they are always a good group of loyal friends.. so Friends with Beverages is obv the best pick IMO *yawn*

38. Jesse says:

Wine Town!

39. Chris says:

I still prefer “The Family Jules.”. Sums up what the show is actually about now.

40. Ben says:

“Friends with Beverages” is perfect on so many levels.

41. Kevin says:

PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE TITLE – LEAVE IT AS COUGAR TOWN. How would you release the show on dvd? let’s say they change it to Grown Ups… would it be released as Grown Ups the Complete first season… or Grown Ups – Cougar Town the complete third season?

• forrest says:

“That Cougar Show We Can’t Call Cougar Anymore” – wait that sounds like something out of Saturday Night Live – another NBC show……

42. china blue says:

The Whine Club

43. Amber says:

yeah, I don’t find myself to be attracted to any of these names. I wish I could think of something better, but I really can’t. Grown ups MIGHT be the best choice of the bunch if not for the confusion with the Adam Sandler movie of the same name.

44. Summer says:

I still like “Family Jules” myself.

45. Skip says:

Since it follows “Modern Family” how about “Old Friends?”

46. flutiefan says:

i hate the idea of changing the name. but if it’s inevitable, i voted “other” and wrote in “Better With Age”.

47. colin says:

I actually don’t mind the name Cougar Town name — but if they are going to change it the only name I see that I like is Cul De Sac Crew. It references the show and is just fun

48. Eric says: