Cougar Town Name 'Not Around Much Longer' – What Would You Title the Show?

Cougar Town cocreator Bill Lawrence has news for fans of the ABC comedy: “Those that loved the title…. [It's] not around for much longer.”

Lawrence floated that likelihood on Twitter Thursday night, reigniting a dialogue that has dogged the show since Episode 1.

Although at the start Courteney Cox’s divorcée found herself romping with younger guys, that conceit was dropped early into the show’s freshman run, allowing the well-cast comedy to change course, find new footing and emerge as a very strong ensemble effort.

UPDATE: More pragmatically, Lawrence says that ABC research shows there are a “high number of men that will NEVER sample show called [Cougar Town], even those that liked it once they screened an epsiode.” Also problematic is the “incredibly high rate of fans who will not/or can’t get friends to watch due to the title.”

Cougar Town Season 3 Scoop: Baby Talk, Title Change (?), and [Spoiler] In a Wedding Dress (?!)

I broke the news about Lawrence pondering a Cougar Town name-change — to better court potential viewers who were likely turned off by the provocative, sexual predator concept — back in January 2010, for TV Guide Magazine, if that gives you an idea of how long this issue has been banging around. But with Season 3 being held for a midseason berth (it will air Tuesdays at 9/8c, once Dancing With the Stars exits the primetime dance floor), there apparently is still time to cage the Cougar in deference to something better.

ABC’s Fall Premiere Schedule: Cougar Town Corked Until Winter

These days, Lawrence seems to be entertaining Sunshine State (previously off-the-table, because Mr. Sunshine aired on ABC), Friends With Beverages and The Drinking Age as possible titles. Use this poll to throw your weight behind any of the oft-mentioned candidates, or propose one of your own.

TVLine’s Fall TV Survival Guide: News, Scoops, Premiere Calendar and More

Tags: ,

Comments (270)

• These suggestions ARE AWFUL!!!

Comment by Jon – September 9, 2011 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! No point in changing the name, unless they come up with something really great

Comment by Christine – September 9, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This. Forget the stupid PUNS.

Comment by Sam – September 9, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Penny Can

Comment by darclyte – September 9, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes Penny Can!

Comment by C – September 9, 2011 03:32 PM PDT
          • love penny can too.

how about, Dudes with Booze!

Comment by fan – November 23, 2011 05:42 AM PDT
    • Yep. I was looking for the choice of none of the above.

Comment by Renee – September 9, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What happened to The Family Jules? That was being floated for a while.

Comment by Sarah F – September 9, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Family Jules would be good but, Family Jewels is used by Gene Simmons and his family.

Comment by Yvonne – September 12, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It should be Friends and Family if anything not Friends and Neighbors. The friendships overrule neighbor status.

They asked for suggestions months ago on twitter. Not sure why they haven’t picked one of those. Most of the suggestions here in the comments are the same or worse than the suggestions on twitter.

I don’t think any reference to drinking or the word “friends” should be in the title though.

Comment by Amanda – September 9, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • modern friends.

Comment by B Phillips – September 9, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree!! Took the words out of my mouth!!

Obviously, enough people watch with the current title because Season 3 is coming up. It seems to me like Bill Lawrence, as much as I love him, wants it all!!

Leave the title alone, it’s entering Season 3, it’s too late for a change. Just take your lumps and move on.

Comment by Darcy – September 9, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bill Lawrence said that this season is the last chance for Cougar Town to gain viewers, if ratings don`t pick up the show will not survive to see a season 4. So clearly they wanna do something to get more people to watch.

Comment by JohnT – September 10, 2011 02:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My wife came up with the one word title “Grapes”….The characters are like a bunch of grapes on the vine of life..in many ways different, but in the end quite similar…and let’s face it, it always ends in huge glasses of wine filled to the brim…Cheers!

Comment by APC – October 6, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grown Ups just reminds me of that horrible Adam Sandler movie. I guess I like The Drinking Age, but I actually don’t mind Cougar Town. And if you don’t watch a show just based on it’s title, changing it in it’s third season probably isn’t going to make you tune in.

Comment by Tyler – September 9, 2011 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I might watch if they changed the name. I understand it’s set in a Cul de Sac (?), so I hope they change the name to “de Sac”!

(Maybe not.)

Comment by Drew Melbourne – September 9, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • so Drew, you won’t watch now simply because of the title? and if everything about the show was the same except for it’s name, you would watch? so it’s not about the content, it’s about the title?

i honestly don’t understand the logic of some people.

Comment by flutiefan – September 9, 2011 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I completely agree. I love the title because they make fun of how it doesn’t fit at all anymore. I have a friend who jokingly says he won’t watch anything with a structure in its name (House, Castle). If that’s your criterion, you’ll miss out on many wonderful shows!

Comment by Amanda Collins – September 12, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really? I mean seriously? You are posting on a blog ABOUT the show that you haven’t watched because of it’s title? REALLY??????!?

Comment by Cougar Town Fan – September 13, 2011 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Penny-Can Gang.

Anything with Penny-Can in it.

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 9, 2011 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pennies in A Can?

Find some way to combine pennies, cans, and cul-de-sac into a title. Be creative.

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 9, 2011 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Can I have a penny?

Comment by cheplu – September 9, 2011 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot agree more. These suggestions ARE really bad. You know, when the show was first being promoted we were told that the name had to do with the fact that the local high school’s macots were the cougars and hence the name. Any idiot could see that it was a double entendre for what could possibly be the premise of the show, however, Jules dated two maybe 3 younger guys tops. I never believed from the beginning that show was going to be about her dating younger men. This is much ado about nothing. HEY! there’s your title!

Comment by scorpo – September 9, 2011 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It should be called ‘Laurie & Friends’ because, let’s face it, Busy Phillips is the best part of the whole show!

Comment by Nicotine – September 9, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’ve also wondered why the team mascot has never been factored in.

dang, they could make a local pro team the Cougars or something, and have Grayson’s bar be their “official hangout” or something equally lame, but sensible. Jules could be their realtor. Laurie could date one. they could golf with Bobby. i mean, it’s not hard to integrate a Cougar theme in small ways.

Comment by flutiefan – September 9, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cul de sac crew

Comment by greg – September 9, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This.

Comment by Bazinga – September 9, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes. This.

Comment by DrewH – September 9, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh hey! This is what I suggested too, before I read the comments!

Comment by Cindy – September 10, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep. Best option.

Comment by Molly – September 9, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wrote in “The Cul-de-Sac Gang”. Cul de Sac Crew would also be fine with me. “Friends with Beverages” should be dis-allowed because of Courtney Cox’s previous show “Friends”. This is NOT a Friends sequel.

Comment by Tom – September 9, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! This or simply “Penny Can”

I’m much more likely to watch a show called “Penny Can” than Cougar Town… I’d be like “”Penny Can? What is that…” and then when I found it it was a drinking game they play, I’d be like “WHOA SOUNDS FUN”

Comment by Sara – September 9, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “The Cul de Sac Crew” all the way. I kind of hate the suggestions above too. “The Family Jules” is okay too. You don’t want to make the same mistake of the original title and go too specific about one premise, so I wouldn’t focus on drinking or penny can.

Comment by tvgirl48 – September 9, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love it!

Comment by Steph – September 9, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m down with “Cul de Sac Crew”!!!

Comment by kbooga – September 9, 2011 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree with Cul De Sac Crew!

Comment by JeniLee – September 9, 2011 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like it! Great suggestion!

Comment by CStulz – September 9, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, please

Comment by Brock – September 9, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I voted for this under Other. It’s way better than any of the actual options to vote for.

Comment by Liz – September 9, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bingo.

Comment by dan – September 9, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as that’s their new graphic.

Comment by mawhi – September 9, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • whats the point when the show has had two full seasons as Cougar Town.

Comment by amgm98 – September 9, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because ABC has research showing that more people would sample the show if it had a different title. That is why.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 9, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ABC’s research also proved to dump soap operas in favor of chat shows for cost-effectiveness… I’m not sold.

Just leave it alone -

Comment by Elizabeth – September 9, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Shouldn’t they have done that research two years ago?!?!

Comment by Abe Froman – September 9, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Shows can change their name after two seasons.

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 9, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah, but I always called it “that show that used to be Valerie”

Comment by Tom – September 9, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was a revamped show, though. Tough to rename a show that isn’t very different.

Comment by Abe Froman – September 9, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seinfeld was known as The Seinfeld Chronicles during its first season….

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 10, 2011 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Many shows change names:
        * Valerie to The Hogan Family
        * The Seinfeld Chronicles to Seinfeld
        * These Friends of Mine to Ellen
        * Sonny with a Chance to So Random
        * Three’s Company to Three’s a Crowd (or would that be a different show?)

Often, the premise is modified a bit, but they are essentially the same characters.

Comment by Amanda Collins – September 12, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • …and how long did those shows last after the change, besides Seinfeld, who changed early enough that most people hadn’t gotten to know it. This is a number one way to make a great show t-a-n-k. They have great writing, great chemistry between characters, Barb provides the Cougar even if Jules settles down…

If the title is too sophisticated for some to grasp, those aren’t the sort who will appreciate the witty banter anyway. Call it “Hey, let’s get drunk and show some skin!” and keep bringing in bimbos to mess up the actors’ chemistry if you want to attract the “watch it for three episodes then switch to something else” crowd.

These TV pollsters need to only consider one renamed choice if they are insistent on changing it: “Jump the Shark”

Comment by Cougar Town Fan – September 13, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why change the title if you havent watched it beceause of the title it has no use starting now

Comment by onno – September 9, 2011 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I’ve heard (from less discriminating people) that the show is really funny, but I’ve maintained if they named it something so stupid it can’t be that great. Not the best argument, but people judge shows (and even other people) by their names. They should change it.

Comment by Alicia – September 9, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That really says more about you than it does about the people who titled the show.

Comment by the girl – September 9, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Except I’m not the only one thinking it, and they’ve come to realize that, which is why they’re changing the name.

Comment by Alicia – September 9, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No offense intended, but I really hate this narrowminded way of thinking. There are so many books, films, shows and games with bad, weird or inaccurate titles.

Moby Dick: What the hell is that book about? Would more people have read it if it were called Vengeance At Sea? Maybe. Would it be a better book? No. It’s just a title.

RoboCop: A lot of the actors refused to read the script because it sounds like it would be a kids movie or a lame B-movie, but were pestered into giving the script a chance by their agents and friends. Once they started reading, it sparked immediate interest in this dark, modern Frankenstein sci-fi tale with satirical elements.

I wish everyone who enjoys a good show would read me saying this. No matter what the title is, read about it, talk with other people and give the show at least one chance. Lots of people work hard just to entertain you and they deserve that.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 9, 2011 12:04 PM PDT
          • If you don’t watch Cougar Town just because the name is Cougar Town then you are missing out. I feel bad for you and people like you. Cougar Town has easily evolved into one of the funniest shows on tv. PENNNYYYYYYYY CANNNNNNNNN!

Comment by Vivi – September 9, 2011 12:42 PM PDT
          • @TigerNightmare, thanks for the astute reply; you make a very good point. Anyway, I already watch an excellent show with an unfortunate name (The Good Wife), so I guess I could give Cougar Town a chance.

Comment by Alicia – September 9, 2011 01:23 PM PDT
  • Anything with Wine in the title would be appropriate for this show.

Comment by Liz – September 9, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How about Whine & Cheese?

Comment by jules – September 9, 2011 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like this one!

Comment by Marcie – September 9, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also like simply “Wine Time”

All the time is wine time on the show, and most of the show takes place while they are drinking wine.

Comment by Sara – September 9, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How stupid to change it now. What’s done is done and those options are all terrible. Also, Friends with Beverages? Sounds like a Friends spin-off if you ask me.

Comment by Are you serious? – September 9, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s probably the point, by using “Friends” in the title “Friends with Beverages”, they might appeal to the old Friends fans. I, frankly, don’t care for it. Like Cul de Sac Crew, also, someone said Pennies in a Can, that’s actually kind funny LOL

Comment by Jenn C – September 9, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So far all these suggestions only make sense to people who watch the show. Anybody who isn’t familiar with it have now idea what the penny or wine references mean. They need to make it acsessable to new viewers.

Comment by Abe Froman – September 9, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • exactly what i was thinking. they’re all inside jokes.

Comment by flutiefan – September 9, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • EXACTLY. Anything having to do with ‘Cul-de-sac Crew’ or ‘Penny Can’ or any variation of those is not a good choice for a title because it’s references that you understand only if you watch the show. They wouldn’t invite new viewers in.

Also, I think it would be a bad idea to include the word ‘Friends’ on the title…

Overall, I don’t much like any of them but if I had to choose I guess Drinking Age. But without the ‘THE’ at the beginning. ‘The Drinking Age’ makes it sound like a board game or something… just ‘Drinking Age’ is fine.

Comment by Maru – September 13, 2011 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These suggestions are awful and I think it would be a terrible idea to change the name. I mean, seriously? Season 3 and your show is doing well and you want to change the name simply cause it annoys you?

Comment by Eric Campbell – September 9, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Re: “doing well,” COUGAR TOWN was regularly shedding more MODERN FAMILY viewers than ABC probably would have liked. As edited into story above, research shows that the audience would (potentially) be bigger with a name change.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 9, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC didn’t have a TCA panel for Apartment 23 at TCA, the show to be paired with Cougar Town on Tuesdays and I don’t see ABC debuting these shows at end of Nov, early December. They have yet to officially announce those dates. Plus if New Girl becomes a hit, no way will ABC air Cougar Town against it. Basically what I am saying is outisde of the upfronts, ABC has yet to confirm that is where Cougar Town is airing and I will not be surprised if it doesn’t premiere til Jan and in a different slot. Probably will depend on what fails and what doesn’t.

Comment by craig – September 9, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, Happy Endings only has a 13 episode order so far. If that doesn’t get extended, CT could swoop back in and take its old place back in the new year, airing doubles towards the end of the season.

Comment by Darcy – September 9, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • among the suggested ones I think the most appropriate would be Friends & Neighbors, but I’m not fond of it. I don’t think that the title should be related to wine or drinking, it might give the wrong impression to new viewers…
    Anyway, my favorite are either FAMILY JULES or (maybe even better) FRIENDS WITHOUT BOUNDARIES (since they already advertised the 2nd season with this name above the title).

Comment by irene – September 9, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FAMILY JULES is no longer in the mix, I hear.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 9, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sad because that’s the best option.

Comment by Sivat – September 9, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I always liked Family Jules, too

Comment by Jenn C – September 9, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Agreed – I always thought it was funny and a bit dirty, but it accurately reflects the show and how everyone is part of her extended family.

Comment by Shadowlands – September 9, 2011 10:18 AM PDT
      • too bad, it was simple and appropriate… I think it might reach a wider audience!

Comment by irene – September 9, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, I’m so glad to hear that gross name is out of contention. It’s bad enough when shows have raunchy content. Raunchy titles are unavoidable, though, so they truly are the worst.

Comment by Tansy – September 9, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • careful. you don’t want all this raunchy talk to give you the vapors.

Comment by murley – September 9, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • that is too bad. that is the only pun title that is ridiculous enough to avoid being really cheesy. in the poll above i voted for sunshine state because it was the only one that wasn’t a cheesy pun! even though it is sort of boring i couldn’t help rolling my eyes at the rest. at least family jules makes me smirk.

Comment by murley – September 9, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This was definitely my favourite option – should totally be reconsidered!

Comment by Amy – September 9, 2011 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ewwwww! Family Jules is such a gross name, even worse than Cougar Town. Pee-yew!

Comment by Tansy – September 9, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Family Jules” is a pun referring to jewelry that is handed down from family member to family member over generations. What the eff is dirty about that??

Comment by Sivat – September 9, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The term “family jewels” is also slang for male genitalia.

Comment by Chelsea – September 9, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want to change the name! Cougar Town!!
    And yes, I agree that these suggested titles are terrible. They don’t say anything about the show. and I don’t like the idea of using the word “Friends” in the title — it only increases the likelihood that people are going to compare it to Friends, which they are probably already going to do but why make it easier for them?
    Bill Lawrence, I get that you want to see the show succeed and get more viewers, but if you are going to change the title, make it something awesome. And if the new name is not awesome, leave it alone.
    Cougar Town for life! (or at least for another six seasons)

Comment by the girl – September 9, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do we really need Friends in the title? I’m sure Courteney Cox has a been there done that attitude with Friends.

Comment by Kevin – September 9, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! But I could accept it, as long as they don’t write it with the Friends font, that would be too much.

Comment by irene – September 9, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know about you but i think people could mistake friends with beverages and think it is “friends with benefits” ( the show nbc aired this summer with all but success)

Comment by JP – September 9, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MY friend Bix in the TV biz tells me if you have not been watching before, why would you watch now? So, if NBC renamed JOEY to FRIENDS MINUS 5, would that make it better?

Comment by MTM – September 9, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friends with Beverages has the majority support, but i say no to that for the same reason Sunshine State got denied in the original go round. There’s currently a TERRIBLE show on NBC already called Friends with Benefits…

Comment by Newo – September 9, 2011 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Friends with Beverages will make this show sound like it’s “Friends + Cheers”.

Comment by Heradite – September 9, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s your answer: “Cheers, Friends!”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 9, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think you are on to something Matt!

Comment by scorpo – September 9, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pounding Grape?

Comment by Josh – September 9, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like it!

Comment by Sara – September 9, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like Pounding Grape but fear it’s also kind of a stupid title. I don’t know if I would ever watch a show name Pounding Grape, but I also never thought I’d watch a show called Cougar Town.

Comment by Avi – September 9, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those are all really bad. They are all completely forgettable and sound like other failed movie/tv shows….which isnt a good thing to rename a show after.

A new title should be funny and memorable. I’d rather have it be CougarTown than any of these options.

Comment by PV – September 9, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the Culdesac Crew

Comment by Laurel – September 9, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the title as it is but if it had to change I say it should be ‘Pounding Grape’…..hehe

Comment by Laci – September 9, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show, but I’m actually getting tired of this constant “Should we change our name?” I say they just embrace it and screw the people too up their own ass not to give this wonderful show a chance. It’s their loss. I mean I still remember when people wanted to change the name of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Ridiculous.

Comment by RyanT – September 9, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like “Wine Time” I thought I had heard that as a possible name at one point.

Comment by Lynnette – September 9, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I kind of like Friends with Beverages, but I don’t think even that one has enough appeal to justify changing it. My first thought was Pounding Grape. Or The Hangovers. Or The Courteney Cox Show. Or they could just keep Cougar Town?

Comment by Mike – September 9, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cul-de-Sac Crew!

Comment by Marisa – September 9, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think changing the title is a very smart idea! I honestly think it is the funniest sitcom on TV and I have had so much trouble getting others to watch because they think it is actually about cougars. Not enough people watch this show and hopefully a title that doesn’t carry such a stigma with it will attract more viewers.

Comment by J – September 9, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sunshine State ftw

Comment by João Amaral – September 9, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think a name change will help this show. While I agree it has evolved from its original premise,for the better,I find it sophomoric and the few glimpses of good writing are not enough for me.

Comment by Jenny – September 9, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cougar Town is actually the greatest comedy on TV. I don’t know what you’re smoking.

Comment by Sivat – September 9, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the show is a blast! Out of The Middle, Modern Family and Cougartown (and I’m a fan of all three) I always looked forward to Cougartown the most. Yeah it’s over the top, but it totally, unabashedly embraces it’s silliness. I hate that ABC has treated it the worst, but if the ratings aren’t as good, I suppose I understand. Although ABC is on my hitlist right now anyway with the way they are destroying their daytime lineup.

Comment by Jenn C – September 9, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would seem weird to have Courtney Cox on a show with “Friends” in the title. But, whatever.

Comment by Snickleboom – September 9, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I suggest “Much Ado About Boozing” and I think it is hilarious. There were rumors if a name change last season too what’s different this time?

Comment by Ruby – September 9, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, if Bill Lawrence must change the title, fine. But please don’t let the title have the words “wine,” “drinking,” “beverages,” or any other variations of those words, in it. Even if they changed the title to, say, “The Drinking Age,” they’re still running the risk of alienating certain prospective viewers, which is the exact, same problem they had with the original title — it alienated potential viewers because the title made it seem like the show focused too much on one thing. Please don’t also use “Grown Ups.” Seriously, don’t. That’s still going to alienate potential viewers.

I’m not too happy about the imminent name-change, but I’m only a viewer, so my say means tish. I’m still going to watch the show; I just hope it doesn’t end up getting cancelled because Bill Lawrence decided to change its name to “The Drinking Age.”

If they have to change the title, how about “Friends with(out) Boundaries” (with a little emphasis on the ‘out’ in ‘without’ on the title card/logo)? It was on the 2nd season poster, afterall, so at least we have a little bit of continuity. It’s their idea, and I think it fits the show perfectly without being too out there like “Friends with Beverages” or “The Drinking Age.” I get that they drink wine a lot and I personally don’t mind that aspect of the show, but to actually SIMPLIFY the show by stamping “wine” on the title? Forget it.

Also, look at NBC’s Community. The word “community” can mean a lot of things. In the show, “community” obviously stands for community school. Is the show really about a community school? Nope. It centers around a group of misfits in a study group. If Bill Lawrence was running Community, he probably would’ve titled it “The Study Group” or “Misfits”. lol Too obvious. There’s no more room for people to wonder what the show’s about, so they end up rejecting it.

Comment by zhaquiri – September 9, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You read my mind, I COMPLETELY agree with you!
      I’m afraid that the reference to wine and drinking wouldn’t improve the situation, it might give the wrong impression.
      “Friends Without Boundaries” is probably my fav option and a reasonable one, for the reason you said: they already used it to advertise season 2, so it would sound a bit familiar to some people.

Comment by irene – September 9, 2011 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Scrubs” was a great name… they need a name like that for Cougar Town.

I agree, “Community”, “Desperate Housewives”, names like these seem to draw people in.

Comment by Sara – September 9, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Whine and Dine”

Comment by forrest – September 9, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still like “Family Jules” the best.

With the title change, they should advertise the show as if it’s the first season of a new series to hopefully attract new fans. Keep everything the way it is and don’t reference back to the early “40 is the new 20″ days.

Comment by Sivat – September 9, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sunshine State is very nondescript but could be neutral enough to attract a broader audience.
      Friends With Beverages does sound like Friends With Benefits, but I don’t think very many people are watching/have heard of that show.
      Grown Ups reminds me of that Adam Sandler movie and people may think it’s a tv version.
      The Drinking Age makes little to no sense and could be confusing. I don’t even get it. Yes, they drink…but what the eff is the “drinking age”?

Comment by Sivat – September 9, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the drinking age is 21.

;)

Comment by flutiefan – September 9, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! Family Jules is the BEST one so far! I really hope they name it that!
      Ausiello, please pass on this message :)

Comment by Superluli – September 9, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cobb Salad.

Comment by april-ann – September 9, 2011 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! I love this!

Comment by Cindy – September 10, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I propose “Fine Wine” because like a bottle of the best wine, Courtney Cox and the show itself seem to get better and better with age!

Comment by gordon – September 9, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, she was Monica Bing, so how about Mrs. Sunshine… “yay”?

Comment by Ryan Schwartz – September 9, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I lol’d. xD

Comment by zhaquiri – September 9, 2011 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Cul-De-Sac Crew! They already call their gang that. It seems so obvious…

Comment by Mindy – September 9, 2011 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t this another name for Desperate Housewives?

Comment by forrest – September 9, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care because I will not be watching it under any other title. Why don’t you just rename all the characters while you’re at it?!

Comment by Megan – September 9, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s kind of stupid, to only watch something for the title….

Comment by Sivat – September 9, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, it’s just the flip side to the argument that some people won’t watch cause it’s called Cougar Town. It’s ridiculous either way.

Comment by tripoli – September 9, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how about FAMILY JULES?!

Comment by tom – September 9, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am going to suggest WE CHANGED ITS NAME or SAMPLE THIS SHOW UNDER ITS NEW NAME or maybe just NEW NAME.

Comment by jules – September 9, 2011 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unfortunately, I can’t imagine a world where it’s not titled “Cougar Town.” BUT I’ll still watch it no matter what name it has. Perhaps something more generic would work as opposed to something that narrows down what the show is, since that’s obviously what happened the first time around. I like “Friend With Beverages” the most, however.
    Maybe “Sarasota”?

Comment by Michael – September 9, 2011 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about cancelling it instead. Courteney Cox has NEVER been funny. Neither has any Bill Lawrence show. He is always whining to the press and coming up with excuses about why people don’t watch his shows (“no network support!”, “bad title”, “waaaaaa”). But the reason so few people watch his shows is because they aren’t appealing. They can name “Cougar Town” whatever they want, but I’ll never watch it, because it’s terribly unfunny.

Comment by Miffy – September 9, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You obviously never watched it. It’s awesome. You’re wrong. Go away.

Comment by DrewH – September 9, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Scrubs was one of the best shows ever!!!! Hush yo mouth!

Comment by Amanda – September 9, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get why the name has to change. I get that it is no longer the premise, but I don’t watch the show because of the title, I love the show because of the characters. Will the new Fox show The New Girl change it’s title after the first year, because technically she will no longer be new at that point. I think it is stupid. Leave it at Cougar Town.

Comment by Jessica – September 9, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just rename it ‘the courteney cox show’ and call it a day!

Comment by Robyn – September 9, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would totally watch a show called “Cox”.

Comment by Drew Melbourne – September 9, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This probably won’t make things better for ABC, however, I think that THE FAMILY JULES would be a perfect title for this raucous comedy.

Comment by Jorge Jose Herrera – September 9, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC missed the boat bigtime. It should have been renamed by June and old episodes with the new title should have aired with aggressive promotion over the summer. This is one of the most enjoyable shows on TV and I think that summer could have been a good time to get people to sample it.

Comment by Matt – September 9, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually like the tagline that they advertised the show with: “Friends without bondaries”

Comment by Jane – September 9, 2011 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That makes it sound a little like a porno or something you’d see on Cinemax. (same thing I guess.)

Comment by Jax – September 9, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sour Grapes?

Comment by Steven – September 9, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jul de Sac Crew

Comment by Tiffany – September 9, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In honor of That 70′s Show, how ’bout “That Renamed Show”?

Comment by forrest – September 9, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post