Suits Preview: 6 Secrets From the Exciting, Cliff-Hanging Season Finale

This Thursday marks the season finale of the freshman hit Suits (USA Network, 10/9c), and the cast of the legal drama tells TVLine to expect the unexpected.

“It’s amazing,” gushes Sarah Rafferty, who plays Donna. Here are six more reasons Suits’ season-ending installment will hopefully live up to the high standards set by the legal drama’s maiden run.

Harvey Goes Soft | But only temporarily. “We get to see Harvey put to the test in a new way,” Rafferty reveals. “For the first time, he’s very vulnerable.” As Gabriel Macht himself explains, “We find out that Harvey put away an innocent young man years ago and is now trying to right the wrong and get him out of jail.” The reopening of that old case spans the full finale and impacts the entire team — including Mike’s (Patrick J. Adams) secret lover Jenny (Vanessa Ray) and his best pal Trevor (Tom Lipinski).

Donna Faces Off With the Boss | Legal eagle Harvey and his trusty assistant are at odds for a brief and intense moment at the start of the hour, and it results in the episode’s most moving storyline. Added bonus: The face-off provides insight into why these two have remained in the “friend zone” all these years… or have they?

Someone Gets an Ass-Whoopin’ | Without revealing who, what, where, when, why, or how, we can confirm that one of Suits‘ leading men will take a fist to the face before the episode ends. No one is seriously injured, but a mark is left nonetheless.

Chi McBride Lays Down the Law | Harvey finds a new foe in the Human Target alum, who surfaces in Suits as Terrance, a no-nonsense prosecutor going up against Pearson Hardman. “Not to give anything away, but something happens to the present District Attorney,” Macht shares, “and the only way Harvey can right that [aforementioned] wrong is to bring it up with Chi and get him to make a deal to clear this young fellow’s name.” Alas, McBride’s character is not a fan of Harvey’s and proves a worthy adversary for the usually cocksure attorney. “Harvey’s sort of met his match,” says Macht. “He’s got to figure out how to sort of out-think him.”

Lewis Makes a Move for Partner | Memo to Pearson Hardman employees: Demanding a promotion is completely counterproductive. Especially when it comes to Jessica. Though Rick Hoffman’s Lewis is barely featured in Suits‘ Season 1 finale, when he does appear, he is loud and boastful and more eager than ever to make partner. Of course, Gina Torres’ boss lady is a badass and won’t easily bend to the orders barked at her.

Cliffs Are Left Hanging | “There’s a cliffhanger and it’s amazing,” Rafferty teases. Having screened the episode, we can confirm that there is a shocking end that could quite possibly change the face of the series for Season 2.

1. Tia says:

Ms. Rafferty’s name is misspelled in the second paragraph.

2. Les says:

I am so glad that the episode is going to be on tonight because after reading this, I’m even more excited about it! It sucks that after this we have to wait until next summer to see more episodes, but at least there is going to be a next season.

3. Christa says:

I want more about this cliffhanger!!! USA does such a great job with their fanalies i have very high expectations for this one! WOO HOO!

4. Jenn W says:

I agree, I’m excited for tonight! I think this whole cast works brilliant together. I am so happy it’s being picked up for another season. I don’t normally like legal dramas, but this one has enough witty banter & charm that makes me stay tuned :)

5. Sam says:

I’m so excited for this cliffhanger!!! I LOVE THIS SHOW!!

6. Fred says:

Is this for people who don’t watch previews? Obviously Harvey gets punched by the guy he put away. And has the mark to prove it.

7. Adriane says:

Love Suits!…super excited for the finale! Note in the Chi McBride paragraph: it’s “right a wrong” rather than “write a wrong” :)

8. Mikaylah says:

I love the Harvey/Donna relationship, so I can’t wait to learn more about that. I really like Mike and Jenny, because the other girl (drawing a blank on her name) seems really manipulative.

9. DL says:

In the previews for the finale, I’m pretty sure it’s shown that Harvey is the one who gets punched, and I believe it’s inferred that it’s by the young man he put away.

• Mel says:

Maybe that’s just what they want us to think… Maybe it’s gonna be a whole “Suits goes Matrix” thing, and it’s really Mr. Smith who gets punched?

It could happen…

Okay, prolly not… I’ll stop with the crazy theories.

In all seriousness, Gabriel Macht told his followers on Twitter (@GabrielMacht) that Harvey gets punched “for good reason”… like that’s supposed to make us less excited to see this episode ;)

10. sladewilson says:

I wanna know what happens with Rachel and Mike given what happened last week. And I agree with Mikaylah – Rachel is manipulative, especially with Mike. My new fave show, Suits rocks…

11. Babygate says:

I’m completely bummed about the show coming to a close. This is one of my favorite shows ever, not just the summer. It is so well written and developed and the cast is amazing! I love, LOVE Harvey. Even that annoying Lewis that I want to hate so much is pretty captivating to watch. The finale sounds amazing but do we really have to wait a year for season 2? C’mon! What about a nice mid-season Winter surprise??

12. Lisa says:

People watch this show?

13. Alexm says:

Oh wow! This sounds amazing! I am loving this show so much! Best new show to come along in forever!

14. Che the great and powerful says:

Pro Tip:

Stop writing cliffhangers into season finales. I for one am getting awful tired of my favorites getting cancelled in the offseason with no resolution. Please.

Yes, I know, Suits isn’t going to get cancelled this year, but what about next year? Don’t set a precedent for cliffhanger season finales.

15. miss scarlet says:

if In Plain Sight got this kind of press from USA, like the way this crappy show does, it’d still be on the air.

• Mikaylah says:

Agree. I barely ever see press for IPS.

• Tonya says:

The reason it gets a lot of press is because it’s good. In Plain Sight was good too and 5 seasons is a good run. My question is, what does In Plain Sight being cancelled have to do with Suits? Was there a need to come in this discussion of fans to put it down?

• miss scarlet says:

Well, when I posted, I thought it was just an observation about a good show that got no promotion vs. a crappy show that’s getting TONS of promotion. The discussion doesn’t seem to be bringing anyone down anyway.

But now I see that the true success of my comment is getting a response from YOU complaining about me being mean to Suits fans on the internet.

16. Kristoffer says:

Suits has turned into one of my favorite new shows this summer.

I banned USA after they abruptly cancelled the 4400 – but ended up getting hooked on White Collar, Burn Notice, Fairly Legal and almost every other show they have. I am always amazed a network owned by NBC can do such great shows yet most everything NBC puts on the air for themselves sucks.

17. Danielle H. says:

O snap, have Harvey and his secretary been lovers in the past? I love the actress that plays her; sooo funny!
    Lewis is so utterably hateable as well; the actor who plays him is perfectly cast.

• Hauer says:

Donna and Rachel’s little one-on-one girl time while having drinks in her office will hint at the fact Donna and Harvey never slept together. She even said,”Once you do, you can’t go back.”

18. pia says:

Much less boring than reading law books

19. Mandy says:

This show is one of the best of the summer for me. So glad I decided to check it out.
    Love Harvey and Donna’s relationship, I would love to know more about that…
    I really want Mike to dump Jenny and get with Rachel. I don’t trust Jenny. Who dates a guy forever and then jumps into bed with his best friend right after? Sketchy…

20. agent_g says:

I want to be like Harvey when I’m working, I want to lay off my assistant & get one that is and looks like Donna, I want to hook up w/ a girl like Rachel, my boss is just like Jessica… Suits is my new favorite show! I wish it wouldn’t have ended the season in such a cliff hanger!!!! A “feel good” ending (like Harvey & Donna hooking up) would’ve been better than leaving me in suspense. I wish the next season was next week! I wish I was casted in the next season!

21. chulito says:

THIS IS THE BEST SHOW ON TV, WHY ARE YOU MAKING US ALL BUST UNTIL NEXT SUMMER. THIS SHOULD REPLACE ONE OF THE NUMEROUS DUDES NOW ON TV. BRING IT BACK SOONER.

22. Suitsfan says:

What is the deal with Harvey, Donna, and the can opener. I know it represents a pre-trial ritual, but this show pays so many homages to vintage films I am wondering if anyone recognized it?

23. Hauer says:

I was devastated about how Mike’s “career” might come to a HORRIBLE CRASH! I can’t believe Trevor is such a conniving little wimp. Why is Mike still his friend?

[Not quite a SPOILER ALERT: Just remember a few episodes back. The client who was like "The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo," who took care of Mike's records at Harvard]