HBO Picks Up Aaron Sorkin's Cable News Drama

Get More: News

It’s official (and not at all surprising): HBO has made a series commitment to Aaron Sorkin’s untitled drama pilot set at a fictional cable news network.

The hourlong project, originally titled More As This Story Develops, centers on a cable news anchor (Jeff Daniels), his new exec producer(Emily Mortimer), his newsroom staff (Alison Pill, John Gallagher, Jr., Olivia Munn, Dev Patel, Thomas Sadoski) and their boss (Sam Waterston). Together they set out on a patriotic and quixotic mission to do the news well in the face of corporate and commercial obstacles and their own personal entanglements.

There’s talk HBO plans to fast track production in an effort to get the series on the air by year’s end.

This marks Sorkin’s fourth foray into television, following Sports Night, The West Wing and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. The pickup caps a banner year for the auteur, who picked up an Oscar in February for his screenplay adaptation of The Social Network.

Tags: ,

Comments (19)

• How the hell did Olivia Munn get another acting gig?! Hopefully she doesn’t need to act funny because she doesn’t have it in her. Her attempts on the Daily Show have always been cringe-worthy.

Comment by TheFinalMan – September 8, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s pretty. I’m guessing that’s how.

Comment by Will – September 8, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pretty, yet sardonic. It’s a good combo for TV.

Comment by DL – September 8, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alison Pill?! Dev Patel?! JOHN GALLAGHER JR.??!?? These are like all the people I wanted to see on TV next year in my wildest imagination. JGJ worked with Aaron Sorkin on the season 4 premiere of The West Wing. And now that HBO seems to have the policy of “Don’t cancel anything. Ever.” this might see quite a few seasons!

Comment by Sam – September 8, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Calm down my child.

Comment by Timothy – September 8, 2011 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! I love John Gallagher Jr. Can’t wait to see him on tv!!

Comment by Allison – September 8, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please God don’t make this a one seasoner pleasepleaseplease…

Comment by Janos Csongor – September 8, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • now that is one hell of a cast

Comment by ggny – September 8, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like a modern (and hopefully better!) version of the BBC’s The Hour.

Comment by Matt – September 8, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awww! I liked The Hour. It had it’s problems, but I think it was a noble effort from Abi Morgan, and if she could iron them out I’d love to see a second series. Great cast too!

Certainly willing to give this new Sorkin project a go.

Comment by Dani – September 9, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So this will basically be Sports Night without the sports……I love sports, and Sports Night. This still sounds good. Great cast.

Comment by ScottB – September 8, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I generally like Sorkin’s work but Studio 60 was hard to watch. It came across as way too preachy and not enough amusing moments. I don’t need LOLs but maybe some soft chuckles.

Comment by Pam – September 8, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought Lucy Davis did a really great job of generating soft chuckles.

Comment by Sam – September 8, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish he would have cast Sabrina Lloyd. She was the best thing on Sports Night.

Comment by Steve T – September 8, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Though I wouldn’t say the absolute BEST thing, she was a great thing among many great things on Sports Night, and I also want her on TV again!

Comment by Johnification – September 8, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Lisa Edelstein would have been the perfect lead for this show. Too bad she left House after the casting was made. Emily Mortimer is great tho but not as charming as Edelstein.

Comment by Mike – September 8, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe she’ll pop up in a recurring role as someone who keeps insisting she had a one-night stand with the host…

Comment by Johnification – September 8, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ha! Loved that ep. Can’t wait to see edelstein and Josh Charles together again on the good wife.

Comment by Thoroughbredofsin – September 8, 2011 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this show isn’t as intellectually snobby as Studio 60 was. Maybe Aaron Sorkin learned the lesson–though it wouldn’t surprise me if he hasn’t. This whole show sounds exactly like Studio 60 did: “Aaron Sorkin, another timely media setting, a bunch of respected actors–guaranteed to succeed!!!” I’m also skeptical about Jeff Daniels as a series lead–he’s so bland. A good actor, but about as interesting as a diet marshmallow.

Comment by Tego Livi – September 9, 2011 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post