Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Is Ashley Fink In... Or Out?

Prepare to not get Zized when Glee returns this fall.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Ashley Fink’s screen time will be drastically reduced following the Sept. 20 season premiere, which finds her recurring (and somewhat polarizing) character, Lauren Zizes, abruptly [MAJOR SPOILER ALERT] quitting New Directions and breaking up with her steady beau Puck (Mark Saling), who spent much of Season 2 wooing the demanding, plus-sized tough girl.

Glee Spoiler Alert: Brittany For President?

The news comes a week after Fox released the show’s official Season 3 gallery pics, which featured practically every major cast member — including recurring performers Dot Marie Jones and Lauren Potter — but not Fink.

Lauren’s sudden estrangement from the New Directions crew marks a dramatic turnaround from Season 2, where her character was frequently front and center — fist-fighting with Santana, briefly serving as a manager to Mercedes, and even scoring a solo on “I Know What Boys Like.” In fact, Fink often had more screen time than established series regulars like Amber Riley.

So what’s going on? A Glee spokesperson declined to comment and Fink’s camp could not be reached. An insider, however, downplays the news, maintaining that as a recurring player, Fink’s storyline ebbs and flows much the same way Max Adler’s (Karofsky) does. Additionally, the show has to service 16 regulars, as well as arcs for four Glee Project winners. And that’s not even including new recurring castmembers Vanessa Lengies and LaMarcus Tinker.

New Glee Promo: Quinn’s In the Pink, Finn Looks Blue and Britt’s Planing… Time Travel?

Still, another source admits the decision to have Lauren quit New Directions and split with Puck — effectively severing the character’s only two ties to the show’s central action — is strange. “It’s odd to go from being the ‘It Girl’ last season to getting tossed on the backburner,” concedes the insider. “But this is Glee. Just when everyone thinks she’s out, they may pull her back in.”

Thoughts? Are you OK with this development? Or are you already missing Lauren? Hit the comments! And for more Glee scoop/spoilers, follow me on Twitter via @MichaelAusiello

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Controversy, Exclusive, Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Sara says:

YES!!! Glad to see much less of Lauren.

2. Pam says:

Bad move getting rid of Ashley Fink.
    It was great seeing a larger woman get
    a nice role, and a romance to boot.
    What is the new policy? Keep only the
    skinny kids?
    I really enjoyed her character of Lauren.

3. Kay says:

To those who are stating some of these things, why would her weight have to do with anything? (stop being complete idiots and look at it from a point of view that isn’t all about size.. ect.) Personally I liked Lauren’s character though she did get a lot of screen time but I don’t like the theory of almost pulling her out of everything/making her quit the glee club. After making her somewhat of a core character in season two I don’t like the idea. Downing her screen time a bit was expected but this.. it’s completely surprising and to me rude, even though Ashley is a doll and probably doesn’t take it that way.

But to me it’s a bit disrespectful. Just because The Glee Project winners need rolls and the other two new rolls that were written.. “sugar” and “bubba” doesn’t mean you should take a character out like that. I think they should at least keep her in the Glee Club for some screen time (kinda like Mike in season one) it’s not like half of the characters get a lot of lines or quality story lines anyway.

4. Linda Dowell says:

I loved that they were fighting against one of the last remaining prejudices…….I LOVED that, and respected them for that…so I’m disappointed.

That’s really one of the primary things that makes Glee great – it makes us look at all of the nonsense..and as a 61 year old aging liberal, lol, that delights me in the world we’re currently straining against.

But, I’ll see what they’ve got in mind, because I have faith that it’ll still push all of the boundaries.

LD

5. LInda Dowell says:

It just occurred to me…as I was weaving my way back to Twitter – that the character that annoys the crap out of me is Emma – how the hell does she survive in this show?

The actress is great – not complaining about her – because she does it so well I can’t stand her anymore.

OMG.

6. CC says:

Extremely excited about seeing less of her character. No offense to the actress, but just couldn’t see the appeal, she was quite annoying. Now, if only they’d do the same with Blaine.

7. Anna says:

I loved Lauren, it’ll be awful to see her go but they are introducing 5 new characters, bringing back Shelby and they have the other two The Glee Project winners (Lindsay and Alex) who will have two episodes this season as well. THAT’S INSANE!

8. James says:

I wish the Karofsky fans would stop spamming so many Glee articles. Most people see him as he is – a bully and someone who assaulted Kurt, who apologized, and whose actions can be forgiven but not forgotten. He was the antagonist of the bullying arc, which has been resolved. Let it go. He’s not the motivational person everyone makes him out to be. Yes, he’s misunderstood, but he and Kurt would be an awful pairing. Chris said so himself, especially once Karofsky threatened Kurt’s life. I’m so glad to see Kurt so happy and really coming into his own now that he’s moved past the horrors of being so bullied and abused. I can’t wait to see what is next for him and his relationship next season.

9. Bradley says:

I MISS HER, GLEE NEEDED HER COMEDY AND SHE GAVE HOPE TO BIG GIRLS….WTF BRING LAUREN BACK. I LOVE HER….

10. Kyle says:

It sounds to me like everyone is hating on her just because she is fat. She was actually a foil to the whiney, self pitied characters the show revolves around.

11. Aaron says:

No. Lauren was an amazing character; yes, admittedly she cant sing, she’s terribly funny and adorable. I love her, and demand her back. Also, please don’t bring my future wife, Santana, into this. Thank you. ;P

12. Kris says:

Give Lauren more air time. Lauren and Puck were the only reason I watched with my daughter.

13. Adam says:

I love Lauren and she should be a permanent star.

14. Babbit says:

Cheez guys – this year’s episode have been lame
    Is this really how high school is nowadays?