Fall TV Poll: What Will You Watch on Thursday?

The Fall TV season is right around the corner folks, so some tough viewing choices are coming. Let’s get thinking about them, shall we?

Each day this week — during “the calm before the storm” — we’re showing you the grid for that night’s line-up, including Big 5 fare and select cable listings. You then vote for what you plan to watch LIVE during each time slot (since live-ish viewership is still the drink-stirrer when it comes to ratings, whether we like it or not).

Fall TV Poll: What Will You Watch Live on Wednesdays?

One last caveat before we get to the polls: This is not a popularity contest. Organizing a robo-vote for a certain show will not get Nina Dobrev to handwash your Mini Cooper. So have faith in the merit of your individual choices, then watch to see how many others legitimately line up aside you.

NOTES ABOUT THE THURSDAY GRID: Grids represent the face-offs taking place for at least six weeks of the fall TV season; that is why I included “late” premieres such as Bones and Burn Notice (Season 5.5), which both return Nov. 3. Details on new shows (indicated by *) can be found at these links: Charlie’s Angels, How to Be a Gentleman, Person of Interest, Prime Suspect, The Secret CircleWhitney, The X Factor.

1. Lisa says:

As much as I love TBBT it has to be TVD to watch live just because of the spoilers :)

2. Dave says:

This is a packed night. I will be watching/DVRing X-Factor, BBT, Community, P&R, Bones, Person of Interest, Secret Circle, Vampire Diaries, and The Office.

3. thorsdays says:

too much tv thursday…so hard to choose

• Delirious says:

Definitely… This is one of the very few times that I’m glad to be a non-US guy – I have to download episodes the next day, and that way, I only have to choose in what order I’ll watch, not “what to watch live and what to DVR”, being tempted to switch over. For me, Bones and Person of Interest are the big schedule conflict here.

4. Paige says:

I HATE that Community & TVD are on at the same time, but I’m going with Vampire Diaries cause A) it’s longer, and B) I can never miss all the insane stuff that goes on in this show. I’ll be keeping up with Community the entire season, though. :)

• Scott says:

I hate that Community and TBBT are on at the same time but I am pleased Parks and Rec isn’t against TBBT.

• eloahjames says:

Totally agree with you. I write beat articles about TBBT, so I have to watch it live, but I hate missing Community. TGIDVRable!

• Larry says:

I enjoy both Community and TVD as well -and plan on doing the same. Commmunity is my favorite comedy and TVD is my favorite genre drama.

5. Wes says:

I typically don’t watch live TV on Thursdays because of other commitments, but my multiple DVRs will be very busy. Very busy indeed…

6. Josie says:

Okay so..I will definitely no life on Thursday nights/Friday mornings.. I will probably give X-Factor a try live, DVR Vampire Diaries, and watch Parks n Rec/Community online. Watch Grey’s Anatomy live, DVR Secret Circle or Person of Interest, and try to keep up with Bones and The Office online. This schedule is hectic/tiring to even think about.. So many shows I have interest in on one night!

7. francis says:

Very tough choices:

– watch the vampire diaries, dvdr the big bang theory
    – then i am not sure if i will watch bones and dvdr greys or the opposite, depending on which of the seasons I am prefering. As for the secret circle, i will let it get to the mid season, then i will decide if i want to catch up with it or not
    – private practice

8. Elissa says:

Have to watch CBS Live. Anything else that I don’t catch live I can catch online.

9. Kate says:

Watch Community live if you can! It’s such a great show and deserves the support. I’m kind of miffed NBC didn’t move it to the 930 slot instead of putting Whitney there. The DVD set is number one on amazon and it was sold out at three stores I tried, so clearly I’m not the only one watching but the ratings never seem to reflect that.

10. Dorii says:

Bones all the way. Only show worth watching for me, only show I will make time for no matter what. I gave up on Grey’s a LONG time ago. And I dont have time to invest in something new! I’m sticking with the old and faithful familiar on Thursdays this fall.

11. Lara says:

Parks and Rec is awesome!! Rashida Jones Rocks!! Bones at 9 for sure!!

12. HRS says:

I don’t watch anything live anymore…

13. alex says:

Oh, this one is easy. Either Community and Parks&Rec and THEN Vampire Diaries (Nothing at the next hour interests me), or VD first and then Comm and Parks&Rec.

14. BHM1304 says:

Cannot wait for “Its Always Sunny” and “The League” – the two funniest Thursday night shows.

15. Amber says:

Bones, period!

16. Leanne says:

X factor
    Bones

17. SK says:

I don’t get in until a little past 8, so I’ll have the DVR set for both Vampire Diaries and The Big Bang Theory. My friends and I will probably watch Vampire Diaries “live” starting a little late, and then I’ll watch Big Bang Theory when they go home.

I might also DVR How to Be a Gentleman to check it out. I’d also check out Charlie’s Angels if I could, but since it’s also on at 8, I guess I’ll have to skip it.

18. ingmar says:

Big Bang Theory ; Grey’s ( watching bones later ), and Private Practice.

19. Danielle says:

What happened to Wipeout? Is it getting moved to a new time slot or is just not coming back for a few months? It used to be Thurs @ 8pm on ABC

• kevin says:

CHARLIE’S ANGELS takes over that timeslot for now but it’ll wait until WIPEOUT comes back for its Winter edition for the next four episodes I think.

20. Lindsay says:

Here goes:
    Watch Community live, tivo Vampire Diaries & TBBT. Tivo Person of Interest & Secret Circle (now record Project Runway at a later time).

21. Casey says:

Love Community but I LOVE TBBT more so watching that live! Not watching Grey’s anymore… But will DEFINETLY watch Bones (B&B baby!!!)

22. Deb says:

With the kids still up until 10 will watch the BBT or X Factor and Secret Circle. DVR TVD, Community, The Office and Person of Interest.

23. Matt says:

FYI: Project Runway is on Lifetime now

24. Anna says:

Watching Charlie’s Angels, Project Runway until Bones comes back and Mentalist.

DVR: Prime Suspect and the late showing of Burn Notice.

25. kevin says:

Thursdays has been more stronger than on Mondays but CHARLIE’S ANGELS deserve a whole lot better going up against the likes of VAMPIRE DIARIES, COMMUNITY and BIG BANG THEORY. This reboot has a lot of potential and Minka Kelly wants this reboot to be sucessful just like her roles on FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and PARENTHOOD. Also I planned to watch PERSON OF INTEREST and PRIME SUSPECT ’cause the Maria Bello led crime drama just like CHARLIE’S ANGELS deserve an even more fighting chance with THE MENTALIST and PRIVATE PRACTICE in the same timeslot. Unfortunately the two worst new shows on Thursdays are both sitcoms: HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN and WHITNEY. These two are pure awful and I hope you guys better dare to watch CHARLIE’S ANGELS every Thursday nights even if it means that it “doesn’t matter” whether it will lasts one season depending on the ratings and it will have the same success HAWAII FIVE-O did last year.

• Captain says:

I must agree about Charlie’s Angels. It seems to have a lot of potential but ABC has put a bullet in it before it even premiers with this timeslot. Going up against 4 established fan favourite shows? It doesn’t have THAT much buzz to sustain it. Too bad for Minka, she deserves a lot better.

• kevin says:

Better learn yourself a lesson comparing that Charlie’s Angels may or may not have same remake buzz as Hawaii Five-O did last season. Better check that one out.

26. shaun says:

They need to move some of these shows to Wednesday!!Overload on awesome/new shows.

• Captain says:

I know! They put all the crap on Wednesday and then just packed Thursdays with great shows. Why not spread the wealth a bit?

• Tarc says:

That’s why most younger people just dowload their TV – they can watch all of their favorites whenever they like (after the original air time, obviously). Dealing with the utter morons that schedule the networks is now unnecessary – thank goodness.

27. TV Fan says:

I DVR The Vampire Diaries and watch the Big Bang Theory. I will give the Secret Circle a couple of viewings before I decide if I want to watch for a whole season. I am very interesting in checking out Prime Suspect.

28. carolyn says:

I hope prime suspect is at least almost as good as the original and doesn’t use the same plots. This is a show I have been really waiting for.

29. BT says:

Vampire Diaries live. Totally have to see that one live. Prob person of interest live
    Big bang theory &Grey’s will dvr

30. Mary says:

Big Bang Theory, Mentalist, Community, Parks & Rec and The Office. It’s a lot, but someone has to do it! *flexes eye muscles*

31. Amy says:

this is easy for me given my love for Community and Bones.. i dont watch the other shows

32. Alex says:

Ah damn, this whole time I thought Bones was still on at 8, that screws me. It was perfect. Bones at 8, The Office and 9 and then the DVR’rd Community at 9:30. Hmm, maybe Global (Canada) will have Bones at 8.

33. Jorge Jose Herrera says:

My Thursdays are just jam packed this year. I’m going to watch The Vampire Diaries live. I’ll be having Charlie’s Angels record. The 9-10 hour is tricky. I’ll watch Bones live and have Person of Interest and The Secret Circle record. I’ll watch Grey’s Anatomy either through 401 or hulu. Then Prime Suspect to close the evening.

34. Dan says:

I’ll give Charlie’s Angels a one-time look. If it’s as disappointing as I think it will be, then back to Big Bang Theory.

35. Tego Livi says:

I have to see some of the new ones before I know if I’ll watch them going forward.

36. Ed says:

I voted in the poll but frankly I think the days of people watching live TV are fading fast. The days of people staying home on certain days of the week to specifically watch their favorite shows is over. They should change the criteria on the ratings to be live plus DVR plus seven. (one week) Even when I am home I tape the show I want to see and start watching it from the beginning about twenty minutes after the hour so that I get forty three minutes of show without the commercials. My fast forward button got a lot of use last year and I expect the same this year.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

OK, I will play devil’s advocate. If you are saying you take specific measures to skip past commercials when watching on time-shifted DVR playback, what’s the argument for advertisers to care a hair about DVR+7 numbers? The reason they value “live” viewing is because their ads might actually be seen.

• Ed says:

I understand what you are saying Matt and I realize that without the advertisers the networks couldn’t afford to put on the shows. I get exposed to plenty of commercials and promo’s when the TV is on in the background so I don’t have any guilt about watching a few hours of TV a week relatively commercial free. Live + DVR + 7 seems to be the most accurate way to judge the ratings as more people are viewing this way and counts all. In these days of hundreds of channels it’s just not possible to watch everything live or same day DVR on some popular nights. What they do with the data is up to them but I’m confident they will find a way to get their message across somehow. Advertisers are smart and now have commercials for online watching and other apps, product placement in shows and pop up’s on multiple sites. Just a few years ago they weren’t counting the same day PVR numbers and now they are so I think they are adapting just fine. I think there are still a lot of people watching live but it may not be a true picture of the demographic that the advertisers want. I think the PVR numbers have saved some shows because their regular ratings are somewhat dismal but when you add the PVR numbers they are okay.

Took an informal poll today of friends, family and coworkers and most state they fast forward through the commercials except for special event’s (super bowl, awards ceremonies ) where the commercials are the star. Who knows if people see the commercials in either case? Growing up with Mom and Dad, they usually got up during the commercials to fold laundry or grab a beer. Devils advocate..of course houses were smaller then and if they didn’t see it, they may have still heard it.

On a side note, I am a member of a private board for one of the big three networks. They had a poll earlier in the year about the multiple advertisers during a specific one hour show. I was afraid I wouldn’t get a single one right. I got every single one question correct so they are getting through to me somehow whether it’s a few seconds before I hit the fast forward or the music from the commercial clicks in my brain. Those sneaky and smart mad men, ad men are still a step ahead of us!

37. Brandy says:

Vampire Diaries,Secret Circle and check out Charlies Angels.

38. jay says:

BBT then um, early night.

39. kevin says:

Little side note: I’ll be a little less upset if Charlie’s Angels doesn’t get pick up for Season 2 or I’ll be a very happy man if it does survive for Season 2 and the year after that. :) :(

40. RK says:

Really hoping all the shows are going to be available “On Demand” – Thursdays grid is tough so watch one, DVR one and spend all weeekend indoors with my On Demand until the inevitable slew of cancellations gives us professional remote controllers a little breathing room. The 9pm slot is particularly challenging. I’m already dedicated to Gray’s and Project Runway but want to check out some of the new shows…what is a TV addict to do????? A second TV/DVR in a studio apartmetn seems a little frivolous…

• Melody says:

I understand how you feel. Trying to figure out how to balance Bones, The Secret Circle and Person of Interest is going to be hard enough, and then Burn Notice will be back. Where I live it plays at the same time. I suppose I can be praying that one of the other shows is canceled by then, but I don’t like being pessimistic. It’ll be hard to figure out, but I’ll have to try.

41. Steve T says:

I voted for Mentalist but may switch to Prime Suspect. Will DVR whichever one I don’t watch live.

Could someone please move some of these shows to Wednesday which I consider a wasteland.

42. Melody says:

I’ve decided that TV execs believe I have too much free time on my hands so they are filling it up with interesting shows. The hours of TV in a week are building and by Thursday I will have a DVR full of leftovers that I will be struggling to get through and then Thursday night will dump a bunch more in.

The given is Bones, and right now I’m glad it isn’t returning until November for the simple fact that it’s another hour of TV watching I already don’t have time for. That doesn’t not mean I can miss Bones pregnancy, it’s going to hilarious.

The CW has a pair of shows I’ll also be watching. The third season of Vampire Diaries is looking good, I’m very excited to see what they are going to do with it. After that, I’m at least willing to try out The Secret Circle. I have my reservations, but I’m going to give Kevin Williamson the benefit of the doubt. Besides, I’ve been a huge fan of Thomas Dekker since Terminator: TSCC.

My final new show of the night will be Person of Interest. I like Jim Caviezel and Taraji Hensen, so I’m in.

What’s really, really going to suck is trying to fit Burn Notice in when it returns in November. I will find a way, there is no way I’m missing out on a single moment with Michael Westen.

43. Amy says:

haha Joel’s tweet worked! more people voted to see Community than TBBT

44. Tamara says:

Don’t forget that Bones does not come back until November! I will be watching Person of Interest until then, unless it sucks, then I will be watching Greys.

45. JC says:

Well then, how exactly do I get Nina Dobrev to come handwash my Mini Cooper?

46. Chris says:

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia at 10pm for sure! It should absolutely be a selection option.

47. ChrisPUT says:

I’m glad I have two dual-tuner DVRs.
    Community, Big Bang Theory, Charlie’s Angels, Grey’s Anatomy, The Office, Bones, and Burn Notice.

Wow, that’s 5 1/2 hours of television.
    But I guess since I DVR everything I can cut more than an hour off of that time.

48. C says:

Easy: live is The Vamp Diaries!! And then probably the secret circle cause of Kevin. Then I’ll DVR Simon and the x-factor and check out charlie’s angels at some point. And might have to check out person of interest. Not sure…

49. Melanie says:

Living in Canada has it’s perks. With time shifting I get to watch The Vampire Diaries, The Mentalist, Big Bang Theory, Grey’s and Private Practice without having to DVR any of them! But…. I will probably still end up watching one or more of them on demand anyways. Greys and PP always live though!

50. Tom says:

Probably Bones and The Mentalist (both recorded). I should also say both shows are on thin ice with me, but I’ll give them a chance. I’ll also check out some of the new shows to see if they’re worth anything.