Exclusive

Vampire Diaries Exclusive First Look: Check Out the Bloody-Good Promo Pics!

Talk about forbidden fruit.

The CW has unveiled exclusively via TVLine a fresh batch of key art for Vampire Diaries‘ third season (Sept. 15, 8/7c) and it features shots of Nina Dobrev (Elena), Paul Wesley (Stefan), Ian Somerhalder (Damon) and Joseph Morgan (Klaus) each clutching a blood-soaked piece of produce with the simple tag, “V3.”

Sink your teeth into the gallery below and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Most succulent promo pics ever?

1. Liz says:

looks a bit too photoshopped for my taste. But interesting nonetheless.

• Aria says:

I agree:|

• Guess says:

Seems like a lame attempt to capitalize on True Blood’s latest episode: Give up! True Blood audiences would NEVER watch TVD, you’re only going to scare off the kids.

• amanda says:

I am a True Blood and TVD fan so that isnt true “guess” people like what people like. Just because you dont like TVD dont mean no one else does. So I dont agree with you

• David says:

I watch both and think they are great!

• Maddie says:

I watch and love both, but I have to say Elijah and Damon were ripping hearts out long before Eric did last episode. But I will give TB credit for the spine rip, while Katherine’s was shocking and at a public event, Russell Edgington did it national television. Anyway, they are both good shows, but TB gets away with so many more lame plot lines and annoying characters and is still seen as the best just because it is on HBO where you can over-excessively drop the F-bomb and show Anna Paquin’s boobs. People don’t give TVD a chance, since it is on the CW, but they are missing out on a smartly written, emotional rollercoaster of a show.

• Guess says:

I’m sorry but I can not believe for a second the same audiences would watch both shows, nor that the parents of the TVD audiences would watch the kids’s show and believe both are “great”. Nice try, though! Srick ripping off Twillight.

• True Blood fan says:

I’m a True Blood fan and I could say for a fact The Vampire Diaries has no continuity, zero character development and no argument aside “which brother Elena would choose?” so I couldn’t possibly endure half an hour of the pilot episode. And I find ofenssive that the PR department would so much a suggest True Blood is remotely similar (it’s an ADULT show for pete sakes!).

• What?! says:

What are you talking about? TVD has a TON of character development and it’s only been on two seasons. Where the character were on day 1 is very different from where they are now. I don’t know if you watch TVD but you might want to actually see it before you dis it. I think you are confusing True Blood and TVD as it’s True Blood that has all of the flaws you listed.

• Cyn Jackson says:

I have a few ideas to spice up Vampire Diaries..BUt I too like them both..60/40 favor of Vampire Diaries!!

• TRUE VD FAN says:

No Character Development really?? Ok True Blood Fan go read the Vampire Diaries books which came out before Twilight or True Blood ever existed and watch all the EPS to TVD. Then try and say what you just said. Until then don’t dis something you don’t know anything about.

• Heather says:

Actually, the fruits are representative of different things. Apple is forbidden fruit, pomegranate represents knowledge, pears are immortality, peaches infidelity, etc. I’m thinking this ad campaign was planned out before the last episode of True Blood aired. *I am an adult viewer of both shows. I don’t think TVD is trying to get TB audiences, since one bracket is paranormal young adult romance and the other is an unrealistic smut fest. Which I thoroughly enjoy, don’t get me wrong, but I have never watched a show where I rooted for the title character to be killed. Sookie is getting less screen time because no one likes her. Most irritating “heroine” ever.

• Denna says:

Actually, I watch True Blood AND The Vampire Diaries…
        But, there shouldn’t be a comparison between the two!
        They are nothing alike.
        I like True Blood, but I love The Vampire Diaries, and I do watch Twilight, but I just don’t get why people make the comparisons.

• Martin says:

I am a True Blood fan but I most definitely enjoy the heck out of Vampire Diaries. In fact I prefer Vampire Diaries because of the longevity of the season and their ability to keep every episode fresh and entertaining.

• Nicole says:

Just because you don’t like TVD doesn’t mean others that like true blood don’t also like TVD. I know a lot of people who are True Blood Fans and love TVD just as much. Your opinion is just yours. Don’t try and say all True Blood fans don’t like TVD cause you have no idea watches what in the millons of people out there.

• Larae says:

I too, am a True Blood die hard fan and I DO watch Vampire Diaries as well, so that assumption is moot. Stop focusing so hard on making comparisons and just enjoy what is all supposed to be.. entertainment. :) I love them both!

• AlexSalvatore says:

“Guess” you micro me the most assanine close minded person I’ve ebbed heard talk. You don’t know what the heck your talking about. OBVIOUSLY YOU DON’T WATCH TVD!!! no one give a crap, screw off if you don’t like the show. Bc everyone else here seems to like it. Also, know your f*ing facts before you go off on a show you don’t know anything about. “The Vampire Diaries” books written by L.J. Smith, was written in 1991, WAYYYYYY BEFORE stupid Twilight came around. So you just sound stupid. Also your highly mistaken on fans not watching both shows because my mother, myself and my friends all watch True Blood & The Vampire Diaries RELIGIOUSLY!! so please, keep your stupid unknown facts about this amazing show to yourself

• Kmetko says:

Well, that’s the purpose of Adobe Photoshop (with a little Illustrator and Lightroom played into the mix). Doing posters manually is a near-obsolete practice anyway. Almost everything is done digitally now so get over it.

2. Amanda says:

They look really fake/photoshopped.
    But so excited for the premiere!

3. lauren says:

Um, aren’t they *supposed* to look painted? I doubt we’re supposed to think Nina posed for hours holding bleeding raspberrys.

• zombie says:

um no? but I don’t think that’s the complaint here. These just look like the stuck some pictures of fruit in last minute. It’s a really poor photoshop job.

• Kim says:

It looks like pomegranate, not raspberries. Sorry. I had to look closely too to figure it out.

4. Emma says:

I understand the whole forbidden fruit thing but I personally think they should have stuck with one type of fruit because the pear and pomegranate look a bit out of place maybe stick with Damon’s apple?

• xav says:

They chose fruit that have a lot of meaning. Pear as the symbol for immortality and the pomegranate probably tying into the myth of Persephone in the underworld, signifying Elena’s choice between undead lovers.

• UNsweetT says:

That’s what i thought too.

Pear for immortatlity…but it also symbolized marital faithfulness. Which is fitting as he was born from his mother’s affair with a werewolf.

Pomegranate for (Persephone’s myth) Eternal Life (doppelganger) and also “Mankind’s Sinful choices”

Apple is of course Temptation and is the “forbidden fruit”

Looks like Stefan’s holding an Orange…which in renaissance art symbolized Free Will. Which of course …is fitting.

• Asha says:

I just want to say that I’m glad I’m not the only one who seems to know way too much about the symbolism of fruit. I like the promos. Especially the Damon one. When I saw the thumbprint I thought it was Katherine holding a heart and I thought “Wow that’s kind of…graphic, for a promo pic.”

5. silly says:

don’t like them very much! They are ok! I WANT MORE PROMO…

6. Kat says:

I don’t like it! :/

7. Tiffany says:

They’re really good, but I think Nina’s is the best. She just has that look; I can’t really explain it. It’s so… Katherine-like; I LOVE IT! Come on September 15th, won’t you hurry up, please?

8. Lauren says:

Joseph Morgan is totally doing it for me right now.

9. Natalie says:

Nina’s the best but they are all pretty horrible..

10. gabhainn says:

Nina isn’t holding bleeding raspberries. She’s holding a pomegranate with the seeds exposed, it’s clearly a reference to Greek Mythology – the Abduction of Persephone. Same as Ian holding an apple represents the tale of Adam and Eve, and the Fall of Man. These are meant to be symbolic pictures – the characters involved all fell from their pedestals because of greed.

11. lovedamon says:

There isn’t bigger pictures?
    I’m on my phone and they won’t open or r they this small? :/

12. tagbag says:

I’m sorry. These are horrible. Like the cover of a trashy vampire novel. Urgh

13. Lizzy says:

All of them look terrible, they look cheap. I dislike whoever came up with this concept.

14. mariam says:

Regardless of whether we like these or not, we’re still going to watch VD3 right? At least US/CANADA get to watch it first; think of us poor souls in the UK!!!

15. tvdiariesnerd says:

I kinda have to agree with some people about how it looks photoshopped. It looks mostly photoshoped on Stefan’s picture & Klaus’, I don’t like the fact that the apple is hiding Damon’s gorgeous face! I kinda like the effect that it looks painted! The promo pics are a little bit of a disappointment, but its that bad! And please! To the people who are saying that these look like a cover of Twilight!! First of all NEVER EVER EVER EVER!! compare TVD to Twilight because TVD is NOTHING like Twilight! Our vamps don’t sparkle or aren’t super duper pale like Twilight vamps are! The people who think that these pics are like the book cover of Twilight are wrong! I’d say that this is a gorier & better version of Twilight! TVD makes Twilight look like the end of the food chain! lol! That’s all I have to say! Oh and the best one out of all is Nina’s & Ian’s!

• Sarah says:

No one is saying to two are alike in any way, but it does seem like they are referencing the Twilight covers in a way. Like with Damon holding the bloody apple it almost says “yea we are vampires like in Twilight, but way gorier and waaay more cool’.

16. Ducky says:

The fruit looks way too plastic and the pear is kinda ridiculous.

17. Ayesha Marthinus says:

I think it looks too fake. It’s just not vampire diaries we all know and LOVE!! They all look fake and too photoshopped. Nina look okay, the nicest out of all. I think she has that evil naughty look of Katherine that makes her look the best…anyway can’t wait for season three!!!! Gonna be epic…btw where is Caroline? She is a vampire as well?????

• Nat says:

It is meant to look like a painting. You know those Gothic painting you see in old houses that can’t actually be a true representation of the subject. I think they look great and i like the fruit representing the character. Yes they were digitally done because how much would they have to pay and the time it would take to do real paintings, come on this is the CW.

• Cindy says:

Finally, someone who I completely agree with!
        And I think is right.
        It’s supposed to be a PAINTING!
        And the DIFFERENT FRUIT is supposed to have different SYMBOLISM, representing each character.
        Off course it’s Photoshop.
        EVERY Promo Picture, of EVERY SHOW/MOVIE is Photoshop’d.
        But again, it’s supposed to be like this! It’s meant to look and mean something!
        I can, with no hesitation, say that the CW and The Vampire Diaries did an AMAZING job with this.
        Because it just not some picture, it’s a painting that has more to it than what it seems, like a book cover.
        This great!
        Cannot wait for The Vampire Diaries, Season 3!

18. andreea says:

Where is the rest of the cast?? I’m looking forward to see Caroline, Bonnie, Tyler and Jeremy too!!!

19. ggny says:

They do know that there is other characters on the show right? Where are Boonie,Jeremy,Caroline,Alaric,Tyler promo pictures?

• Jan says:

Agreed. The CW is always acting like all people care about is the main 3. I don’t care a bit about Klaus. I want to see Caroline and Bonnie and Jeremy and Tyler. They could have made great promo shots with each of their powers.

20. Q says:

How come they didn’t do promo pictures with the rest of the cast? Joseph Morgan has barely been apart of the cast and he gets special treatment over everyone else who has been there practically since the Pilot?! I’m so disgusted over how The CW is handling promotion this season.

21. tvddeservesoscars says:

I hate these pictures. Stefan is holding a peach. A peach. Really? And Damon’s apple is covering half his face. And Klaus–why isn’t he holding a pluot or something, since he’s a hybrid shouldn’t he be holding a hybrid fruit. Katherine’s looks the best. Eh, I like S2 promo portraits better.

22. Kate says:

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk so i get having Damon and Stefan but why have they got Katherine and Klaus, who are recurring, over the supporting vampire character Caroline??????

• Q says:

Klaus is a regular now. Joseph Morgan was promoted unfortunately. *SIGH* And Katherine’s technically played by a regular actress. Can’t wait for her to be shoved down our throats this season too. /bitter

23. SK says:

I thought Elena/Katherine was holding a heart before I read the description … haha.

They’re all a little weird, but I don’t hate them. The only one I really don’t like is Klaus. The pear is like … too prominent or something.

24. Vampire fan says:

I like these photos. I getting excited for Sept. 15th. So glad the show is coming back just days after True Blood’s season ends. I need to keep my vampire fix going.

25. Sarah says:

I would just like to know what Stefan is holding?

26. lydss says:

I think they are great. I think the concept here was to make them look like something you would see if you where to walk into a very old castle. Mysterious and full of intrigue.

27. Tinemi says:

My question is: Is it really Elena or is Katherine? And yes the photoshop is not so good but I like the iconography part of it, each fruit has a meaning and each of them tells a story about the person that carries it.

28. ph says:

I like them. Yes, they’re very obviously photoshopped but it’s ok b/c it’s not like not the only promos for the season and I’m pretty sure these look *stunning* as big posters on a wall.

29. Jaime says:

Oh. Right. Pomegranates. No one’s done that before. YAWN. Seriously, couldn’t we have left the fruit motif behind with Twilight? I guess I should just be happy that they didn’t go the obvious route and use a banana.

30. M says:

I want supporting character pics kthanks

31. Chelsea says:

eh, it’s a little too much for me. the fruit combined with the blood is out of place.

32. Michael says:

The only way this makes sense is if it was the 8th season and the tagline read: V8.

33. Christina says:

The pear made me laugh. :D

34. Melinda says:

eww, these are awful. What is Stefan holding? Lmao at Klaus with the pear.

35. Stacey says:

I want to see Caroline. :(

36. danielle H. says:

Man, the cast is so sexy that usually the promo shots are amazing, but I’m not loving these. They are badly shot and the fruit is covering the main guys’ faces.

37. Silverdragon says:

Stefan and Damon’s faces look heavily painted while Klaus and Katherine look more realistic. Its interesting, but I think they should have put a vampy quote or tagline for each person, relating their character to the symbolism of the fruit their holding, so it doesn’t seem like it was put together randomly.

38. XRKazalbash says:

Paul Wesly is looking amazing his poster on number one & Nina Dobrev’s on second….

39. XRKazalbash says:

Paul Wesly is looking amazing he is on number one & Nina Dobrev’s on second….

40. Jimmy says:

mmmkay i wanna see: Caroline, Jeremy, and Bonnie…

41. Katy says:

I wanna know why Klaus is here and not Caroline, Tyler, Bonnie, Jeremy, Matt & Alaric – all who have been in it since s 1!!! also gutted Klaus is now regular as i dont like him at all, i find him and his storyline boring. in this show, each charatcter brings something, they all have their roles to play, which are all interesting and vital to the show, so to ignore half the cast for just the main characters AND to include someone whose been in, like, 5 eps, is insulting to the others.

42. Liz says:

have to say im a little disappointed tho they do look great,
    way too photoshopped…
    Paul Wesley looks the best…

43. Carrie says:

That is gross and weird.

44. JON says:

LOL these look horrible. Especially the bad guy’s.

45. Alexis says:

I like the fruit idea and I like how they are supposed to be painted but I don’t like how their hands look disproportioned to their body

46. Nathan says:

i actually really like these… and appreciate how the symbolism behind the different fruit fits each character. i approve. sorry haters.

47. lisa says:

woooww these pictures look amazing!! never seen anything like it

48. brent says:

ok so when i first started to look at these i agreed with everyone else and i didnt really like it. But now that im seeing them more and more im actually starting to love them.. And really? people are mad because theyre using an apple like twilight did? UMM apples have been used in artwork and literature ever since Greek mythology and the bible so that is not a valid argument!

49. SomeGuy says:

I think that each produce item tells something about the storyline, but i don’t think I’m right. But I do thing that they mean something that represents the character and what the character will do in season 3.

50. HT says:

@Guess I watch BOTH TB & TVD. And I enjoy them for their own reasons!