Exclusive

Exclusive: Syfy Renews Alphas for Season 2

Alphas‘ Nina just may have gotten the ear of a Syfy bigwig, because the network has renewed the successful sci-fi series for Season 2, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Exclusive: Syfy’s Being Human Brings Back [Spoiler]!

Alphas’ smart, innovative approach to a superhero franchise has clearly caught on with our audience,” Mark Stern, Syfy’s president of original content, says of the pick-up. “From the first-rate writing to the outstanding cast lead by David Strathairn, we’re very proud of what was achieved in its first season and look forward to seeing this series fulfill even more of its creative potential in a second season.” Thirteen episodes have been ordered for Season 2, to air in 2012.

Syfy Sets Sanctuary Return Date, Finales for Eureka, Alphas, Haven and W13

Alphas stars Strathairn (an Academy Award nominee for Good Night, and Good Luck) as Dr. Lee Rosen, a neuroscientist/quasi-therapist who oversees a collection of “alphas” with unique abilities. Among them: Warren Christie (October Road, pictured above) plays Cameron, who boasts superhuman agility; Malik Yoba (New York Undercover) is strongman Bill; Laura Mennell (Watchmen) is Nina, a beauty possessing the power of suggestion; Ryan Cartwright (Bones) plays, young man living with autism who can “see” airborne data streams; and Azita Ghanizada (Castle) is Rachel, a gal who can super-amplify any one of her senses.

Season 1 guest stars included Lindsay Wagner (The Bionic Woman), Alaina Huffman (Stargate Universe), John Pyper-Ferguson (Battlestar Galactica), Summer Glau (Firefly), Garret Dillahunt (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Rebecca Mader (Lost)  and Brent Spiner (Star Trek: The Next Generation).

Syfy Renews Warehouse 13 for Season 4

After giving Syfy its most-watched scripted premiere in two years with its July debut, Alphas has averaged 3.3 million weekly viewers (with Live+7 DVR data factored in).

Airing Mondays at 10/9c, Alphas wraps its freshman run on Sept. 26.

1. April says:

I’ve loved Alphas right from the start and have been keeping up with every episode. Really, I think my favorite was the season premier (HOW COULD THEY KILL OFF ANNA???). I saw Eureka advertised and thought it looked interesting but never got around to watching it. I didn’t even know it was cancelled until just now…

2. Lisa boyling says:

I think Alphas is absolutely fantastic,its by far the best super hero serirs on t.v.I live in England so will have to wait longer for the second series to air,but still definately worth the wait BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Mike says:

Syfy has the best shows, just wish they didn’t stop making eureka after this next season along with stargate’s sg-1, Atlantis and universe.

4. julia says:

I absolutely loveee Alphas. It is by far the best superhero showw I’ve seen. And of course Gary is the most awesome superhero everr.

5. Matt says:

Alphas is by far the BEST show on syfy

6. JOJOJAMS 12 says:

Alphas was both action filled and funny. I love Gary the most. All the characters were unique and stand out in their own way. Was very Happy to hear it was coming back.

7. Chris says:

Alphas is the by far the best show syfy ever made. It the only show I’ve been able to watch past the first episode cause most other shows are so unrealistic and goofy it becomes ridiculous. Yes it does feel somewhat like X-men at first but by the end of episode one you know it’s a totally different show. So glad they renewed the show.

8. CHOOTEN says:

Love Alphas, and have been a biiiig fan of Eureka since the first episode!!! Didn’t like the alternate timeline, but the show came beck from that sad mistake well. Alphas is inventive(for tv), and the characters are fascinating. Gary of course, he was truly wonderful in Bones (I literally cried when they killed him off) and Cartwright is one of the best actors out there!), but Strathairn’s character is a lovely grounding force. Did you all know that the young woman who plays Rachel (can’t think of her name this sec) is the only afghan-american actor currently in the biz? BTW, does anyone actually watch Such for realism? Science fiction, guys!

9. CHOOTEN says:

Sorry, dumb auto-spell, Syfy.

10. aerocephalic says:

ALPHAS is a very entertaining show! So glad to hear it’s been renewed!

11. BrooklynC says:

Yeah, Alphas is similar to X-men, but it seems more down to earth. I like when science fiction just stretches reality rather than creating a whole new one. I wonder how the government, or even just normal people would react to having extra-evolved people on the earth. Would they have the same rights, or would they be treated like animals out of fear? Seems like this coming series will explore that a bit. So interesting! And if all that doesn’t convince you…. GARY.

12. mianth says:

I don’t have cable, but I do have Netflix. At the beginning of this week, I added Alphas to my queue. The first episode, while interesting, was a bit slow and had a boring feel to it. The second episode lingered with that same feeling. Although, episode 3 kicked up a couple gears. My wife and I are now half way through season 1, and I am loving it! The characters are unique, the writing is sharp, the camera work is done really well, and Gary is great! I loved the actor in Bones, and this is a very different character for him to play — and he does it amazingly! I like Dr Rosen, he’s not the typical cryptic thinker, or overly goofy “team leader” that is so overdone these days. He actually has a nervousness about him. Even though he is not an Alpha himself (at least at this point, ?) he is the linchpin to the entire group. You can feel the love and care he has for his team right through the screen. He doesn’t play the tough guy exterior, but an open and sensitive demeanor that I feel demands respect. I find his character to be very refreshing, indeed. Bravo SyFy! Keep this one going, and the fan base will only grow… As long as the writers don’t screw it up. =P