Exclusive: Rookie Blue Collars William Shatner

Phasers on stun!

William Shatner is returning to his cop roots with a guest stint on ABC’s Rookie Blue, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The former T.J. Hooker star will play “a very drunk driver” in the Season 3 premiere, reveals executive producer Tassie Cameron. The role “starts comic and ends dramatic, so we’re hoping it gives him a chance to do what he does so well,” she adds. “He’s got such great range.”

The character should fit like a glove since it was written with Shatner — who, like the show, hails from Canada — in mind. “We’re all really excited that he said yes,” says Cameron, adding that one Blue regular is especially giddy about the casting coup. “Gregory Smith, I think, is more excited about this than he is about any actor he’s ever worked with.”

Rookie Blue wraps up its second season this Thursday at 9/8c on ABC. Production on Season 3 is currently underway in Toronto, Canada.

Comments (45)

• yay, ROOKIE BLUE news. i’m obsessed with this show and it seems to get little love or recognition in the U.S. most enjoyable show of recent past. i even joined Hulu+ to rewatch the first season — and i don’t ever rewatch stuff… thanks for posting this.

Comment by Erika Herzog – September 7, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The first season is also streaming on Netflix (in case anyone else wants to watch)!

Comment by Liz – September 7, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did the same thing! I love this show!!

Comment by Michelle H – September 7, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, where is the love U.S.???? This show is AWESOME and I never want to miss an episode. It just gets better and BETTER!!!

Comment by Leslee – September 8, 2011 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ya know where the love in the US is for tv shows like Rookie Blue? It is on STUPID and I can’t emphasis stupid enough, reality shows. I can’t for the life of me understand what anyone sees in any of these retarded shows.

Comment by Bev – April 2, 2012 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did the same with Hulu! I love this show and I hope, hope, hope it sticks around! Great season finale:-)

Comment by Elena – September 10, 2011 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome

Comment by Mike – September 7, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really happy to see this because it means that Rookie Blue is getting a third season. Is there any way it will be incorporated into the regular TV season instead of summer?

Comment by Asha – September 7, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I am from the US and want to give the show some love. I watch it every week. I am so excited about season 3. I just wish I didn’t have to wait 9 months for it though.

Comment by Sarah – September 7, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto. I am from the US, watch it every week, am excited about season 3 pick up and wish it wasn’t another 9 months til the next season. I also wish they would change this to a regular fall schedule so we could get more episodes and not have to wait so long in between seasons.

Comment by spikesgrl – September 8, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • From the US too, spend my Thursday nites w/my glass of wine and Rookie Blues. Really addicted to the show. The story line is great and actors/actresses seem so fitting for the characters they are playing. Don’t mind waiting till the summer if it means they keep getting a new season. Use to the schedule as I’ve watched Grey’s since the beginning season. Also, agree not sure why there is not much marketing in the US for this show. Keep up the good work writers/cast looking forward to season 3…

Comment by C. – September 29, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really like this program! Wish it were on in the fall, so there could be more episodes before hiatus.

Comment by Rita – September 7, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Brazilians love Rookie Blue, suffer waiting each chapter, but please we want Andy and Sam together. You can not imagine the crowd that the couple has in Brazil. We cried and we were anxious to see this novel. We expect the continuation of the couple in the next season. hugs

Comment by Fernanda – September 7, 2011 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please, please, please keep Andy and Sam together. They are perfect and their characters fit so well together.

Comment by Leslee – September 8, 2011 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I live in South Africa and i love it!!!!

Comment by Loren Gerber – September 7, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • jus started watchin rookie blue nd i love it

Comment by blessing – September 7, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Rookie Blue. Please please please do NOT make William Shatner a regular member or the cast. I seriously dislike him in ANY role.

Comment by JH – September 7, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you!! Don’t ruin a GREAT show like Rookie Blue with William Shatner.

Comment by AF – September 7, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree that this is one of the best shows on T.V. Love the storyline between Andy and Sam and yes please keep them together. I like that this is a Canadian show filmed in Toronto. So happy to see that it is coming back for a third season. I agree with the comment made by JH please, please do not make William Shatner a regular on the show. I know he is Canadian but I seriously dislike him in any show even commericals. All the actors play their characters so well. I can hardly wait until next season.

Comment by Heather J. McLaughlin – September 9, 2011 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would they want to ruin a great show with the guest appearance of William Shatner.
    The cast is strong enough and I am sure there are plenty of actors/actress that would welcome a chance to be a guest, that have less trouble around them.

Comment by cherry – September 7, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay,Rookie Blue is coming back for another season :)

Comment by Crystal – September 7, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love ROOKIE!!! I am from Austria and I must wait until friday to see the next episode :( ! I saw the last episode (02/11) a several times!!! IT WAS HEAVENLEY!!

Comment by Kerstin – September 7, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought tonight’s finale episode was a 2 parter, starting at 9 PM. That’s what my DVR is set for.

Comment by Sue – September 7, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 2 hours season 2 finale is tomorrow night. If I am not mistaken some places are catching up episodes that didn’t aired in certain areas because of the football.

Comment by Annie – September 7, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks. In actuality, I meant to say Thursday night’s finale episode.

Comment by Sue – September 8, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • depending where you are located. Here in toronto the 2nd to last episode starts at 8 pm et and the last episode is at 10 pm et

Comment by graceful_red – September 8, 2011 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 3rd season is currently being filmed in Toronto until the end of January :)

Comment by Melanie – September 7, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE ROOKIE BLUE

Comment by Barbara – September 7, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for recognizing this show and us fans that LOVE it! Keep the scoops coming! :)

Comment by SamsGirl6114 – September 7, 2011 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also from Australia and LOVING this show. Hoping it gets beter recognition so that I can at least get the DVD in our format. Looking forward to seeing what William Shatner brings, sure to be really zany. Go team McSwarek.

Comment by Larisa – September 7, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is william shatner still going to guess star on psych as well, I sure I hope he he still does.

Comment by Marie – September 7, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Rookie Blue

Comment by Juan – September 7, 2011 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The BEST part about Rookie Blue is that they film in Toronto and then don’t try and pretend they aren’t in Toronto. I love seeing the buildings and hearing the street names in the show!

Comment by Erin – September 7, 2011 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also from Australia and I am absolutely addicted. I watch it everyday and don’t know how I will last until season 3 starts. McSwarek all the way…

Comment by Christina – September 8, 2011 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Rookie Blue as well, but if it was shown in the regular season. It may not have made the cut. I like being able to watch non-reruns in the Summer. But they can release the DVD/Bluerays sooner.

Comment by Linda Smith – September 8, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m from th U.S. and love Rookie Blue. Liked season 2 better because you finally put Sam and Andy together. She and Luke didn’t fit. Love the stories of the street cops learning from their mistakes and even outsmarting a few detectives. Every cast member is perfect for their role. Best drama on T.V. Even better than Hawaii 5 0. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by debbie eisenberg – September 8, 2011 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This Texas girl LOVES Rookie Blue! My husband is a cop, guess I could pretend he’s Swarek! LOL j/k

Comment by Ry – September 8, 2011 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sam and Andy should be married!!!! The show is great otherwise.

Comment by sabrina – September 10, 2011 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so sad Rookie Blue is over already :(….But i’m uber happy Andy and Sam finally got together. They’ve had such amazing chemistry on the show. ugh, he’s so sexy. Does anyone know when the third season will air? I know they’re just shooting it right now..ooh and anywhere specific in toronto? I would love to get some autographs lol

Comment by lina – September 11, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHEN ROOKIE BLUE SEASON 3 COME BACK THIS YEAR IN FALL OR WINTER???

Comment by JAMES – September 11, 2011 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • from Ireland and i love this programme cant wait for season 3

Comment by Dee Mc – September 16, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show – am in the US, and I wish we didn’t have to wait so long for it though. I love sam and Mcnally together. They need to market the show better people will love it!

Comment by iris – September 16, 2011 10:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show! This season went by too quick and can’t wait for the next season to start! I want to see Andy pregnant next season with Luke’s baby! That would be interesting to see the conclusion of that!!

Comment by Em – September 17, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Life In Series.

Comment by kari – March 30, 2012 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post