Sons of Anarchy Roars to All-Time Ratings High

The brothers of SAMCRO have become big earners, indeed. FX’s Sons of Anarchy opened its fourth season on Tuesday night with an audience of nearly 5 million total viewers, representing an all-time high for the biker drama. Within that tally, 3.22 million fell into the coveted 18-49 demo.

The show’s previous record for a single episode was set by the Season 2 finale, which delivered 4.32 million viewers.

What’s more, the SOA opener is likely to emerge as the most-watched single episode ever for any FX original series once Live+7 data is available.

Sons of Anarchy‘s Charlie Hunnam: Season 4 Will Change SAMCRO Forever

“Last night’s ratings are indicative of the passion the audience has for this wonderful show,” FX president John Landgraf said in a statement. “Kurt [Sutter] has crafted one of the most compelling series on television, with the raw, blow-your-hair-back energy of a wide-open Harley and the subtle complexity of a great book.”

Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Sons of Anarchy‘s Opie, Tig and Bobby

But what does all of this mean for you, the viewer? Well, not that a blog posting is a a blood pact, but Sutter wrote the other day that if the premiere delivered a bump of 10 percent or more — and it was up 20 percent from the Season 3 opener — he would fly out two superfans to a private screening of Episode 10 at his house. (Tattoo parlor visit not included.)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Isabelle says:

YES!! This show deserves the good ratings and hopefully more emmy noms in the future, this is amazing writing and acting all around and I love the raw grit they use, this show isnt scared to get dirty. I hope we hear something about s5 soon.

2. Brittany says:

That’s because this show is AMAZING! Kurt Sutter is a genius and the actors/actresses couldn’t be better!

• Mark says:

No offense Brittany, but you use the words “genius” and “Amazing” for too liberally for them to have any actual meaning. “Sons…” officially ‘jumped the shark” in season 3, proof of which is the high viewership the show is generating now (a tell tale sign that the writers will get complacent because the viewing audience will buy anything the show delivers regardless on how implausible it is). Is Jax” the smartest guy in the universe of what? How predictably lame can you get.

3. Will says:

Looks like he’s back.

I’m glad so many people are discovering this show.

4. Tee says:

Yay! This is one of my favorite shows. Hoping for a great season.

5. Brittany says:

Yesss!!! love SOA! I miss kurt on twitter. i hope he is coming back now.

6. Jeff says:

It was a good ep too so hopefully the newcomers stick around.

7. Carmen says:

I think the fact that Kurt connects with the fans and show his appreciation has a lot to do with this increase. Most of these new viewers are tuning in because of word of mouth and not promo videos/online marketing/etc. SoA fans, we are the best!

8. Mike says:

You can probably thank Netflix’s streaming of season 1 and 2 for the assist in the bump too. My wife and I have been plowing throw episodes the past couple of weeks and are hooked! Going through the Netflix discs for season 3 pretty quickly now too and have the last couple on the TiVo. One thing’s for sure, you can add 2 more viewers to the tally next Tuesday as we’ll be caught up! Awesome show.

9. A.Rae says:

Hey, Kurt calls SOA fans like me “committed” for a reason… This is so much better than I had hoped!

10. Pam says:

Last night’s ep did not disappoint either. However, I do think that the series is being set up to end. Clay has to step down soon due to his arthritis and Jax wants out of the life. I cannot imagine this show continuing while it follows someone else.

11. Nick says:

Show is terrible, nothing else was on though…

12. brandy burton says:

I absolutely am in LOVE with this show now. Not only did it draw me in through NETFLIX, but I have got to the point where I think about the show daily, the storyline, what’s gonna happen next, AND why certain things happen before, and ec.
    It IS THAT intense!
    I THINK personally Kurt Sutter is an AMAZING writer, he and the show will FOR SURE stay @ the top of my favorite list! ;)

13. One of the best TV dramas ever created. Well deserved.

14. Danielle says:

Big congrats to Kurt, cast and crew!!! Last night show was fabulous and I can’t wait for next week. Big thanks to all involved in creating such a wonderful show!

15. Christie B says:

Kurt sutter and the SOA crew deserved that title as “most Watched single episode ever for fx” I have never rushed to my tv for any show ever, but better believe I’m at the tv every week for SOA at 10 on the dot not a 2nd later! Good storyline and with Kurt sutter the story is never predictable! Your always left with the question, “What the hells gonna happen next?” hands down best show on tv right now!

16. Ben Phelps says:

Last night’s premiere got the season off to a great start. Can’t wait to see what Sutter has in store for the rest of it. Check out a full review of the series to this point and of last night’s episode at my site!

17. rebecca a. says:

I never would have watched this show if it wasn’t for Netflix. When it became available for instant streaming I couldn’t stop watching. i watched season 1 & 2 in 2 weeks. So glad I am watching the best show on tv.

18. kbooga says:

Last night was a dream come true! A dream i’ve been having for 9 months, waiting for it to come back on air!!!! This viewing number doesn’t shock me eat all. There was, at one point, 9000 people watching the live chat on, with the cast, before the big premier. My favorite Tuesday in a lonnnngggg time.

19. Loved the season opener! We just discovered this show after seeing Katey Sagal win the GG and just finished up season 3 the week before. Love the acting and action. WOW! I ended up watching it all three times in a row because it was just so good and I kept noticing new details. It’s just so rich.

20. Patsy says:

I’m glad more people are watching this show. It is one of the rare shows on tv that are genuinely good but not enough people watch.

21. Patsy says:

Also…anybody else really think that the club wouldn’t have cared about Juice’s “history” if he just straight up told Jax/the club? Sorry if I’m being vague but I don’t wanna give any spoilers to people