Fall TV Preview

Fall TV First Impression: Grimm Drama Ahead

The networks have more than 30 shows debuting this fall. To help you prepare for it all, TVLine is offering First Impressions based on the not-for-review pilots. Next on our list is.…

THE SHOW | NBC’s Grimm (Fridays at 9/8c, premiering Oct. 21)

THE COMPETITION | Fox’s Fringe, The CW’s Supernatural, CBS’ CSI: NY, ABC’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (2nd hour)

THE CAST | David Giuntoli (Privileged), Russell Hornsby (Lincoln Heights), Silas Weir Mitchell (Prison Break), Sasha Roiz (Caprica), Bitsie Tulloch (quarterlife), Reggie Lee (Persons Unknown)

TVLine’s Fall TV Survival Guide: News, Previews, Scoops, Videos and More!

THE SET-UP | Giuntoli plays Nick Burkhardt, a Portland homicide detective who learns from his creepy aunt (guest star Kate Burton, Grey’s Anatomy) that he is the last in the line of Grimms aka people who can see mythological creatures through their human veneers. Hornsby and Tulloch play his oblivious partner and fiancée, respectively, while Mitchell is Monroe, a big, not-entirely-bad wolf.

More First Impressions: NBC’s Whitney, Up All Night and The Playboy Club, ABC’s Revenge, Pan AmOnce Upon a Time and Charlie’s Angels, Fox’s Terra Nova and New Girl, The CW’s Hart of DixieThe Secret Circle and Ringer, CBS’ Unforgettable2 Broke Girls and Person of Interest

THE GOOD | Supernatural fans pining for early-era monster-of-the-week quests may find familiar fodder here — though during this time slot they’re, well, probably watching new episodes across the dial. Mitchell is so well-cast as a wolf, if the actor told me he actually was one, I would not doubt him for a moment. A bald Burton is, as I said just above, thoroughly creepy as Nick’s exposition-touting aunt. For those who might write off the barely similar Once Upon a Time as too “light,” this piece of genre-TV — starting with its dirge-like theme music — is decidedly dark.

THE… COULD-BE-BETTER | I know the ladies dig his blue eyes, but Giuntoli doesn’t “pop” enough for me as the male lead shouldering this Gothic grimness; scenes palpably waned when Mitchell wasn’t on screen. If pilots traditionally boast best-case production values… I’m concerned. The same can be said for the first manhunt, which revolves around a red herring that is practically flagged with a neon sign, and a final act that went on too long. I’ll keep an open mind, but I just don’t know for how long Nick can follow these leads that only he is privy to, without raising massive amounts of suspicion.

TVLine’s Fall TV Premieres Calendar: Save the 101 Dates!

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | Yeah, so it’s Grimm versus Supernatural and Fringe. I asked Mitchell about that thematic showdown at the upfronts, and he contended, “Grimm has a quality about it that is unique enough to find its audience, so I don’t think that’s going to be a problem. Friday night is now Genre Night!” OK, but if one genre show (e.g. Fringe) can barely scrape together enough viewers to reap renewal, how will three share in that slim slice of Nielsen pie?

Watch a video preview for Grimm, then vote in our poll below.

Tags: ,

Comments (66)

• Spoiler… I suppose…

So, the promo prettty much just gives away that he finds the girl and kills the bad guy.

Why should I watch it now?

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 7, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol. You read my mind.

Comment by Jack – September 7, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are such a loser!! Give the show a chance!! If it was from the buffy and angel producers it can’t be that bad!

Comment by littleimmigratnt – September 11, 2011 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am watching because it looks really good better then the ac show once upun a whatever.. but also because they are shooting the entire show here in Portland Oregon in the neighborhood by my college!
      and it looks good… all pilots are slightly weak but the cast grows and the show develops so from what I have seen I have hope

Comment by denice – October 25, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, I will be watching Fringe on “Genre TV Night”

Comment by Anita – September 7, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, after Peter disapeared Fringe should give us one of its stroner seasons, I’m not going to miss out on it for Supernatural 2.0

Comment by Guess – September 7, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael – thats not a spoiler its a procedural, its like saying you shouldn’t watch CSI cos you think the most well known guest star may have done it! We know they have, just like you can be sure in criminal minds they may kill 20 women in different brutal ways, but its all ok as we see the victim we bonded with saved in the nick of time…

Comment by james – September 7, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Given all of that, the could have done a twist on the procedural and have the bad guy get away with it. Instead of killing the first bad guy turn him into a recurring villain or something.

That’s what happened on CSI, isn’t it? The very first bad guy became a recurring threat during the early seasons.

Comment by Michael Sacal – September 7, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be too busy watching Supernatural.

Comment by Sivat – September 7, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Supernatural & Fringe, will stick to them. Maybe will check out one or two episodes of this show.

Comment by GK – September 7, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will too. Sorry, but I don’t give up on my show after watching it from day one!!

Why couldn’t they put it on a night when there’s nothing good on? I’d be a regular watcher if they did… =(

Comment by Miss Suzanne – September 9, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be watching Supernatural.
    Fringe & Grimm will go on the DVR for later.

Comment by Laurel – September 7, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I definitely feel like Fringe, Supernatural, and Grimm airing in the same time slot on the alright viewer-light Friday night is going to be problematic for all three shows.

Comment by Alex – September 7, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s why we have Hulu.
      Watch Fringe and Hulu Grimm.

Comment by carolyn – September 7, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Do Hulu ratings count in regular ratings? If everyone only watches a show on Hulu, how long can the show last on the network?

Comment by Ann – September 7, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t understand network execs. They could’ve just as easily aired this show on a different night or a different time and got many of the same people who watch SN & Fringe. Instead, they don’t seem happy unless they can cause another genre show to be kicked off the air. I’ll stick with Supernatural despite Grimm’s “unique” “quality” – please.

Comment by Ann – September 7, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, why air these shows on the same night, same time slot. At least one of them will crash and burn, and it won’t be Supernatural…Fringe is on the bubble as it is. Supernatural was the first to move to Friday night, then Fringe followed, stupidly I might add. I always DVR Fringe, because I love John Noble, and watch Supernatural live, as well as DVR it for rewatches.

Bad move NBC, pick another night.

Comment by sassafras – September 7, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This really sucks, although I’m not concerned for my favorite show on TV , Supernatural, I’m still extremely puzzled by the network execs and their constantly odd behavior. Why in the world would you want to divide the fans? One of the networks really should move up their drama an hour and capture all the genre fans. Go for it CW! Although that does put a wrinkle in my time with Chuck, I’ll figure it out.

I’m more concerned that there is going to be an over abundance of supernatural drama shows on TV. FX has American Horror Story starting, ABC has Once Upon A Time, CW is adding The Secret Circle and NBC has Grimm. It looks like the supernatural drama is the next procedural. Is this too much? Isn’t Fringe’s bad ratings a sign to the execs? I’m not complaining for me, because I happen to love the genre and I’m excited for the new shows, but I also know I’m in a small niche of society who does enjoy these types of shows, especially in such quantities. Just to note, here are the supernatural dramas we’ll have on our TV’s this year (not just this fall):

CW:

MTV:
          Teen Wolf

AMC:
          The Walking Dead

BBC America:
          Being Human

I’m sure I missed some because there are so freakin’ many! Feel free to note any I didn’t list and lets see how many we can count up. I’ve got 20 so far.

Comment by Melody – September 7, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It’s really stupid how Networks compete against each others.
            MONDAYS:
            -Hart of Dixie
            -House
            (Medical Dramas)
            TUESDAYS:
            -Glee
            -90210
            (Teen Dramas)
            FRIDAYS:
            -Fringe
            -Supernatural
            -Grimm
            (Geeky Scifi Dramas)

Comment by Jake – September 7, 2011 02:03 PM PDT
  • I might DVR it but I’m a Supernatural devotee all the way.

Comment by EJ – September 7, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish I could…but alas I’ll be watching Supernatural and dvring Fringe.A different time slot would have been nice, but no way am i giving up either show.

Comment by Michelle – September 7, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kinda wishing I had a triple tuner DVR for that time slot. As it is, I think I’ll stick with Supernatural and Fringe. If NBC repeats this on another night, or on USA, maybe.

Comment by tjj50 – September 7, 2011 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok so i think with them starting in Oct and not September is going to hurt this show tremendously. At this time slot you will either be a Fringe or Supernatural fan, and if you are one of those you will not go looking for another show at the same time. But there are those people who do not watch either one but they will be looking for shows in September not October. I think this show will crash a burn just my thought :)

Comment by Christa – September 7, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are right.. And I need to KNOW where the hell Peter Bishop is..SPN doesn’t interest me one bit..Fringe Friday for me and I’m out the door.

Comment by Angel Heart – September 8, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has a pretty…ahem, grimm, chance of lasting. Muahaha.

Comment by Justin – September 7, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. And apparently, NBC doesn’t think it’ll last long either. It’s on a Friday night with Chuck as a lead-in and the already established Fringe and Supernatural as competition. I love Chuck, but it’s just about the worst lead-in you can give a new show.

Comment by Dean – September 7, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks decent. The premise sounds pretty interesting, but I’m not convinced by the casting yet. May DVR it while I watch Supernatural.

Comment by Rob – September 7, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Fringe up till half way through this season then kinda just couldnt be bothered with it any more, not cuz it was bad or gone boring or anything it just felt like to much! And Supernatural i just can follow so Grimm it will be for me!

Comment by Kate – September 7, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch Fringe live and DVR Grimm to watch it the same night. Will drop after a few weeks it if it gets too…. grim! :D

Comment by Kay – September 7, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to watch this, but I already watch Supernatural and DVR Fringe (or vice versa depending on my mood), so there is no way I can watch Grimm live. If it makes it to On Demand, free Hulu or NBC.com I’ll pick it up there. Really, all the network had to do was move this to 10:00 and avoid the genre competition.

Comment by Percysowner – September 7, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GRIMM doesn’t scare the likes of FRINGE and SUPERNATURAL on the same timeslot at least CSI: NY going to stick around probably for the CBS’ crime drama very last year if the network decided it or not.

Comment by kevin – September 7, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is just too similar to Supernatural for comfort. I will DVR it, but with it starting a month after Fringe and Supernatural I just can’t see any of those fans tuning out to check out a new show.

Comment by trina – September 7, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Supernatural has until the premiere of Grimm to convince me it’s still worth watching. Otherwise Supernatural will be history at my house, with Fringe taking the DVR.

Comment by Donna – September 7, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will NBC have it online?

Otherwise I don’t see how I can check it out at all. I always DVR SPN for rewatch, I have to DVR Fringe for instant watch directly after watching SPN, it’s just impossible. I want to check it out but I don’t see how I can. LOL.

Comment by raelee514 – September 7, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be watching Fringe live and Supernatural DVR… no more room.

Comment by Liz – September 7, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a devoted Supernatural fan and my loyalty falls to that show first. Grimm can be DVR’d and checked out over the weekend. I stopped watching Fringe half way through last season, and although what I read over the summer did pique my interest, I still don’t see me watching Fringe anytime soon. Friday’s are already packed with Supernatural, Nikita and Chuck, three hours of good television. I enjoy a good supernatural/fantasy drama, especially with a very grim(m) tone, but since I already have several of those in my life (Supernatural, Being Human, Vampire Diaries, and Sanctuary) it will be difficult for this show to win me over enough to make me find time for it. Then again, I adore Silas Weir Mitchell, so that may just tip the scales, and I’ll keep my fingers crossed that I’ll get to see him again as Seymour on Burn Notice very soon.

Comment by Melody – September 7, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m looking forward to watching “Grimm”. It definitely sounds like it’s in the spirit of the earlier seasons of “Supernatural”, a series I watched devotedly until it got too weighed down in its own mythology and stopped being fun.

Comment by Ashley – September 7, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You obviously haven’t seen much of Supernatural! It has so much humor along with good fantasy & drama. One of the greatest shows ever to adorn the TV screens!

Comment by Dean – September 7, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, I’ve seen every episode through the end of season 4 (most, thanks to my DVDs, multiple times). All the Heaven and Hell stuff started stucking the fun out of it for me, which was a bummer because I really, really loved the show! It’s cool if you still like it (and I still tune in from time to time), but I had to stop when I realized I was forcing myself to watch new episodes.

Comment by Ashley – September 7, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It get’s better. Season 5 and 6 are pretty good. Each season has excellent stand alone episodes. It’s like being in a relationship- there are rough spots and there are great moments too, you just have to be in it for the long haul. Because Supernatural is one of the best shows on tv, largely because of the fact that it doesn’t have to rely on romantic relationships to entertain the fans unlike pretty much every other show on the planet.

Comment by Max – September 17, 2011 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If it wasn’t for the fact that David Greenwalt (Buffy, Miracles, Angel, The X-Files, PROFIT!) is the Excecutive Producer on this, I’d probably not bother. But, he is and so it automatically jumps to the top of the list. I’ll watch this and shift Fringe, which is better for going back and rewatching for all the stuff you miss the first time.

Comment by znachki – September 7, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe for me.

Comment by Alice – September 7, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although I haven’t seen more then the preview, I definitely wanna catch this since I jumped ship on Fringe last season. BUT, it really has no chance of lasting, so that almost makes me not even want to bother.

Comment by Danielle H. – September 7, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to like it and watch it but if you’re a devotee to either Supernatural or Fringe you’re not going to tune in. I’ll be watching Supernatural despite I do love things that David Greenwalt has his hands in. If I DVR it and start to watch it, it will most likely get cancelled in the end.

Comment by Rachel – September 7, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So this is “The Sisters Grimm” book series for grownups?

Comment by AL – September 7, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why Oh Why Oh Why….
    Is it just me or does this not sound like a less campy re-hash of “Special Unit 2″ From 10 years ago?

Comment by PsiHawk – September 7, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anybody see ‘Demons’ when it aired on BBC America a couple of years ago? If you blinked, you missed it; it failed in the UK and it failed here. It was about a young guy who learned from his creepy uncle that he was the last in the line of Van Helsings, charged with finding and “smiting” the various supernatural creatures stalking the earth.

The original version was bland at best. Perhaps it will benefit from what appears to be an extra two years of development time and a change of continents.

Comment by Zed – September 7, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huge Supernatural fan and I also watch Fringe, which is brilliant! So I don’t think I’ll be watching Grimm even though it looks pretty interesting.

Comment by Dean – September 7, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will definitely check it out once or twice to see if I like it or not and decide from there. I love supernatural shows and this sounds like a good premise. That said, from the previews I’ve seen of it, I have to agree with your assessment of the lead. He doesn’t seem very charismatic. But previews can be deceiving, so I may like him better when I watch the show. Also, I hope there’s a bit of romance in it, kind of like Moonlight. That would seem to work better to me! That all said, I honestly don’t understand why they are pitting these shows against each other. It’s so stupid to me. There are different types of audience viewers and they shouldn’t try to constantly pit them against each other. I can understand being competitive over procedurals, but genre shows? Seriously, have half a brain about making a genre show succeed.

Comment by AT – September 7, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Supernatural for me. I watch live and DVR it.

Comment by Melanie – September 7, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be watching Supernatural. I tried watching Fringe, but…eh. Lost interest after the first six shows or so. I may try Grimm at some point, maybe on Hulu, or during Supernatural repeats, but really, I don’t find the cast all that appealing. I think I’ll read Michael Buckley’s Sisters Grimm series instead.

Comment by Maggie – September 7, 2011 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch Fringe live, always, but I might DVR Grimm. Even though it sounds like a lot of shows I once enjoyed (Charmed, Buffy, Angel, Dead Like Me),7 seasons is just too much of an investment required to be up to speed on SPN. So, it would actually be easier to give a show that is just starting a shot. But in terms of “fairy tale” shows this year, Once Upon a Time looks more promising…

Comment by Alice – September 7, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to check this out but Fringe is still #1 in my books.

Comment by Thom – September 7, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks but I’ll be watching Supernatural while this show gets kicked in the nuts for it’s horrid timeslot. :)

Comment by Elle – September 7, 2011 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be glued to Fringe. I would probably like Supernatural, but 7 seasons is too big of a time investment to catch up. So I might check out Grimm, but only if the other new shows I’m interested in don’t pan out.

Comment by Em – September 7, 2011 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It may be a big investment, but I believe it’s worth it. I’m of Supernatural since day one. It’s sad that these shows, with very similar fan bases have to be pitted against one another forcing people to choose. I say, why choose, when you can have them all? Thanks to DVR’s an the internet, there are so many opportunities.

Comment by Melody – September 8, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Fringe when it first started, but gave it up after about 6 episodes. Just started watching Supernatural about a month ago. Grimm has an interesting premise, but for some reason this preview just doesn’t grab me. Don’t know if it’s production values, actors, or what. Though I did like Mr. Wolf, don’t think that’s enough to make me watch.

Comment by Mo – September 7, 2011 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FRIDAY NIGHT BELONGS TO FFFRRRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DDDDDDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Shye – September 8, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hello, where is your loyalty, Whedonverse? Yeah, it isn’t actually Joss, but it’s the closest thing. Can’t we all just give it a try instead of watching Supernatural, which has been getting steadily worse? (That said, there were one or two great moments last season. But when you compare that with how the first few entire seasons were amazing, it doesn’t come off too well.)

Comment by Ella – September 8, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay, comparing Grimm (which looks mediocre at best from what I can see) to Joss Whedon? That has to be some sort of blasphemy. Grimm verses Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse??? I don’t know what resemblence you see between Grimm and the genius that is Joss Whedon but you need to stop sniffing that glue because it’s obviously imparing any respectable opinion you might have once had. The Whendonverse doesn’t need to give loyalty to some random new show just because you tell them to.
      And another thing, I am so sick people whining about how Supernatural is getting worse. Are you people thick or something? Do you not understand that a show NEEDS to introduce new storylines each season? How self centered do you have to be to think that just because YOU don’t like some of the storylines, that the show is automatically bad? Supernatural has just gotten more and more complex and its sad to see simple minded people like you complaining because YOU don’t have the mental capacity to understand what’s going on.

Comment by Ann – September 17, 2011 04:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s a toss-up between whether I watch my recording of this or Supernatural first [I'm a die-hard Fringe fan and will be watching that live as long as FOX airs it]. I enjoyed the pilot a bit more than you did – I liked Giuntoli in the lead and didn’t think the final act was as drawn out as you did. I completely agree about Silas Wier Mitchell, though – he steals every scene he’s in [and he doesn't even have to huff and puff!]. I can’t see this surviving in the timeslot, though, but that’s life. It won’t keep me from following it as long as it’s on. Kudos to NBC for even greenlighting it to series in the first place.

Comment by Sheldon W. – September 8, 2011 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No I am not going to bother with this, it wont last to seconds against Fringe and Supernatural and I always watch Fringe LIVE, this is just NBC’s way of trying to cash in on the sudden popularity of science fiction and fantasy shows, same with ABC’s Once Upon A Time none will last very long,most people already have their favorites and are not going to dump them for something new, not live anyway, I may check out some of them on Hulu or something but not live.

Comment by Clara – September 13, 2011 04:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know the name of the music box tune at the beginning and end of the previews? I heard it a while ago, and can finish the tune in my head. Please, if anyone knows, this is bugging the crap out of me. Thanks. :)

Comment by Melanie – October 26, 2011 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to be DVRing this tonight.

I don’t watch Supernatural or Fringe. I tried to, but they’re too darned convoluted and complicated. I can’t immerse myself in a series that wreaks havoc on your understanding if you miss even ONE episode. Who has time for that? I have a real life.

Grimm might just make it if it can get enough viewers like me, who don’t have the time and emotional energy to invest in shows like Supernatural and Fringe.

I DVRed Once Upon a Time, and although I liked it, I don’t think it’s going to last.

Comment by Susan – October 28, 2011 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “I tried to, but they’re too darned convoluted and complicated.”

Wow…you sure you’re capable of actually programming that DVR?

Comment by JC14 – October 31, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that the first 4 epis have aired, I gotta say, Grimm is a fun hour. If “Murder She Wrote’ had a sexy male lead, and had a ensemble of really stong actors…well it didn’t. God saw the error in that and here’s Grimm. I don’t watch series TV thanks to having watched soaps non- stop till age 21. But this? I’ll take a drink.

Comment by jill – November 19, 2011 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post