American Idol: What Songs Should Nigel Lythgoe Ban in Season 11?

Last month, while interviewing executive producer Nigel Lythgoe for a story about possible changes to American Idol for its upcoming eleventh season, I proposed the idea that the show should introduce a list of 11 songs that would be banned from the live performance rounds on the grounds that they’ve been done to death in previous seasons. Lythgoe’s response caught me off guard: “Well, Mike, if you want to write down and send me 11 songs that you don’t want to hear again, I will put them through to the committee.”

Well, sir, you don’t have to ask me twice! I’m going to get us started with eight ditties than I think should be strictly verboten to all future Idol finalists and semifinalists, and then it’s up to you to hit the comments and make a case for what three tracks should round out the list. Without further ado…

1) “Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)” | Like the stabbing victim at the center of Murder on the Orient Express, this Phil Collins ditty has sustained grave injuries from multiple contestants through the years: Corey Clark, George Huff, Jessica Sierra, Scott Savol, Katharine McPhee, Ramiele Malubay, and most recently (and violently) Paige Miles (pictured). Nigel, put this soundtrack ballad (and the Idol viewing audience) out of its misery!

2) “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” | Granted, this soaring Elton John number hasn’t been pilloried in the same was as “Against All Odds,” but is there anything a future contestant can do with it that hasn’t already been done by Bo Bice, David Archuleta, Justin Guarini, Pia Toscano, Jorge Nuñez, Clay Aiken or Jasmine Trias?

3) “Superstition” | Frankly, a total ban on the entire Stevie Wonder songbook wouldn’t be such a bad idea, but this particular uptempo track has reared its head for three straight Idol seasons (courtesy of Ricky Braddy, Siobhan Magnus, and Clint Jun Gamboa) — plus two previous times (via RJ Helton and Bucky Covington) — and none of them have completely broken out of karaoke-arrangement territory. To quote Mr. Wonder himself, “Superstition ain’t the way.”

4) “Alone” | This booming Heart track from 1987 is a good example of why a song shouldn’t necessarily be retired from the Idol stage just because a prior contestant sang the bejeezus out of it. After all, Carrie Underwood slayed the octave-scaling beast in Season 4, then Allison Iraheta gave it her own memorable treatment in Season 8. Heck, even Gina Glocksen’s Season 6 rendition wasn’t too shabby. But when you add Ramiele Malubay’s wretched Season 7 rendition, and then Jacob Lusk’s excrementalordinary Season 10 disaster, it’s clear that the time has come for Idol to leave “Alone” alone. Maybe the show’s second decade can beat a different Heart track — “What About Love” or “These Dreams” or “Nothin’ at All” — into submission instead?

5) “(Love Is Like a) Heatwave” | If the definition of insanity is repeating the same exhausting Idol song over and over again and expecting a more pleasing result, then let’s review prior/winded renditions by Season 2′s Kimberley Locke, Season 3′s Jennifer Hudson, Season 4′s Vonzell Solomon, Season 8′s Lil Rounds, and Season 10′s Thia Megia, and then call a moratorium on the madness.

6) “Hallelujah” | When Jason Castro tackled this Leonard Cohen number in Season 7, the results were unexpected, touching, and quite beautiful. But after a pair of Season 9 covers (Tim Urban and Lee DeWyze) and countless other renditions on both reality competitions (notably, The X Factor U.K.’s Alexandra Burke) and scripted shows, too, “Hallelujah” has become a kind of lazy shorthand to tell viewers that it’s time to feel something. Which is reason enough to put the song on the injured list.

7) “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” | Even before Idol added Steven Tyler to its cast, this Armageddon soundtrack cut had been performed by Aaron Kelly, David Cook, Allison Iraheta, Josh Gracin, Lindsey Cardinale, and Antonella Barba. But as Lauren Alaina showed during her Season 10 audition, the overwrought ballad can now be used to butter up a third of the judging panel. And that’s valid cause to declare “J’enough!”

8) “I’ll Be”/”I Don’t Want to Be” | Okay, so maybe it’s cheating to combine two songs in one swoop, but time and again, these midtempo rockers by Edwin McCain and Gavin DeGraw have been trotted out by male contestants to milquetoast, middle-of-the-road effect. The former has been done with dreary results by Jovany Barreto, Bo Bice, Josh Gracin, EJay Day, and (because the Internet told me so) Adriel Herrera; the latter by Bo Bice, Elliott Yamin, Chris Richardson, Michael Sarver, and Casey James. And, holy crap, I almost fell asleep just writing this paragraph.

Okay, Idoloonies, now it’s your turn. What should complete my list of 11 Songs That Should Be Banned from Season 11 of American Idol? And are you okay with my first eight picks? Sound off in the comments, and for all my reality TV recaps, news, and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (193)

• Heatwave! It’s always the kiss of death (and I hate that song).

Comment by Bryant – September 4, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Falling Slowly – immaculately done by Kris Allen and copies by Crystal and Lee during their duet and many others on the various rounds last season.

Also ANY Celine Dion or Mariah Carey songs..

Comment by Just Jules – September 4, 2011 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THANK YOU! Kris Allen did “Falling Slowly” beautifully, so they resurrected it for a weaksauce Crystal/Lee duet. Let. It. Be.

Comment by mimi – September 5, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree that “Falling Slowly” should be retired but not because anyone on Idol has done it “immaculately”. I loved Kris Allen (still do), but no one should even attempt to touch what Glen & Marketa have done.

Comment by Saracen Riggins – September 5, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Another vote for “Falling Slowly” for the same reasons. And I’d add Kanye’s “Heartless,” which hasn’t been done to death on Idol but was unceremoniously ripped off (with no acknowledgement) by Dia Frampton on The Voice. There’s no excuse for trying to replicate something that was so unique and perfect at the time.

Comment by Jonathan – September 9, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • add whitney houston to the list. if it could have bee sung at a pageant in the 80s/90s- STAY AWAY!!!

Comment by jj – September 6, 2011 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would ban Man in The Mirror by Michael Jackson.

Comment by Katie – September 4, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Cat – September 5, 2011 02:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re totally only saying that, not because certain people mutilated the song, but because you’re afraid to look in the mirror.

Comment by Michelle R – September 5, 2011 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get rid of “I Believe.” What a terrible song to begin with. I don’t even like Fantasia’s version.

Comment by Sam – September 4, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch!

Comment by TV Addict – September 4, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! Enough of that song!

Comment by Captain – September 4, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House of the rising sun I still thing Siobhan sang it a lot better than Haley they should have stopped before Haley sang it

Comment by Jennifer – September 4, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WOW!! don’t even…

wow…

That song made Haley get as far as she did, no doubt. &I’m so glad for that. She made a lot of new fans because of her version of that song.
      Siobhan was great, but Haley did her own thing with it. &I loved it.

Anyway…I don’t care if it’s banned or not. It’s not been done a lot, so if somebody has the balls to try it after Haley’s marvelous version, go ahead.

Comment by tamarat – September 4, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Loved Siobhan’s version but LOVED Haley’s even more! Keep House of the Rising Sun!!

Comment by Sue – September 4, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “House of the Rising Sun” should be banned. Siobhan’s version was the BEST presented. You can’t top it. I think Haley did a nice job but the quality in Siobhan’s voice was better. Either way, this song sang by a female should be banned. I don’t know where a male singer could go with it.

Comment by Aimzee – September 4, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree that Siobhan did “House of the Rising Sun” best.

Comment by Lois – September 4, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree that Haley Reinhart did “House of the Rising Sun” best.

Comment by Clark – September 9, 2011 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haley copied Siobhan!!!

Comment by Jennifer – September 4, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • might want to listen to both again jennifer…back to back if need be to see that your perception is off by quite a bit

same goes for jordin and haley’s “i , who have nothing” … both were exceptional renditions…yet very different

Comment by justafan – September 5, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House of the Rising Sun. After last few seasons, it’s been overdone and you can’t top Haley’s version anymore.

Comment by Idol Lover – September 4, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haley, smhaley.

There is ALWAYS someone better who has the ability to “top” any version of any song – be it on AI or otherwise.

You are just too enamored with her.

Comment by dontblameme – September 4, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am actually gonna agree with you.
        And as an example I would mention “I Who Have Nothing”, which was equally brilliantly done by Haley, even though we all thought it could not be topped after Jordin did it.

HaleyFTW!!

Comment by tamara – September 4, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You guys saying “House of the Rising Sun” are seemingly missing the point. I don’t think it’s about if a song can be “topped”–because there’s always that potential–I think it’s more or less strictly about songs that have been overdone.

I think I’d say “& I Am Telling You I’m Not Going,” because that’s been done more than I really needed to hear–would they actually ban that, though, as it’s by Jennifer Hudson?

Comment by Jess – September 4, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • feeling good.

Comment by quin – September 4, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Especially after Jennifer Hudson’s version plays every 10 minutes on television.

Comment by Captain – September 4, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Adam did it best.

Comment by Templar – September 4, 2011 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is absolutely my choice also. Everyone who sings it either gets the boot or is in the bottom (that was the only week Adam was bottom two).

Comment by Volcfom – September 5, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really could do without another Somewhere Over the Rainbow . Unless someone wants to attempt a heavy metal version.

Comment by Yaminac – September 4, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Goofball! You are not “thinging” very well this mornng. HORS by Haley was the performance of the season and no one, even Haley, remembered than Showbon even performed it the year before!! LOL. Ban Rolling in the Deep, Bennie and the Jets, You and I but only because after Haley performed them, it can only be downhill for future idols. And while you are at it, ban Gone and Your Man (and any other country song/singer) because Scooter ruined last year.

Comment by Ringo – September 4, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ringo, you’re an even worse speller than you are a drummer.

Comment by Pete – September 4, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Vab “Any other country song/singer”? Are you kidding me? It’s a multi-genre competition, get over yourself.

While we’re at it let’s ban R & B and Rock, too. And anything older than 2000.

Comment by Mellie – September 4, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No banning just the hicks is fine.

Comment by dee – September 5, 2011 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What Becomes of the Brokenhearted. It must die. Also, all Celine, Whitney, and Mariah songs. Anyone who has the chops to belt out a song like that is still going to be only a copy cat. And Mariah’s more recent songs are crap anyway so no one should be singing them ever.

Comment by mzmaggiemae – September 4, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will agree that David Cook took “Always Be My Baby” from Mariah and made it the best it will ever be. so with that I agree.Of course David Cook had a special talent with doing covers on AI. Now he just makes awesome albums.

Comment by rascalete – September 5, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Son of a Preacher Man
    I Have Nothing (not I Who Have Nothing – though I think you’d be a wise contestant to avoid that too)
    Endless Love (it hasn’t been done a lot but I think we can all agree, it’s been done enough)
    Let it Be (admittedly, Brook White’s was beautiful – but I can’t sit through another 17 year old trying it)

Comment by Broadway Baby – September 4, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I certainly would LOVE to see a listing of all the songs that have been sung more than once on any AI season. Then I can pick my favorite to be banned.

Nigel – get some new music rights so the contestants have better choices, PLEASE.

PS – She Bangs is definitely on my list even if it was only sung once.

Comment by dont blameme – September 4, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Check whatnottosing.com. Click “database” then “songs” near the top of the page. Then on the chart that shows up below all the text, click “#Pf”. You’ll see all the songs that have been performed the most on AI.

Comment by Ken – September 5, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I Am Telling You. Just let that song be!

Comment by Matt – September 4, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely, yes!

Comment by teecie – September 4, 2011 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree with this choice.

Comment by Ambee – September 4, 2011 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OH MY GOD YES! That is my top pick too. If I have to hear that song one more time, I may snap!!

Comment by Erin – September 4, 2011 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree… 1 million times. Do you think that’s enough votes for Slezak to include it on the list?

Comment by Lauren – September 5, 2011 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Add my vote to this one!

Comment by zaza – September 5, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Have Nothing. Well, actually, anything Whitney. But REALLY I Have Nothing. I’m surprised that wasn’t in your top 8, Slezak!

Comment by Kim – September 4, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i wanna dance with somebody too…
      both Whitney songs that have been done to death on this show.

Comment by noa – September 5, 2011 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Canceling this piece of crap wouldn’t hurt my feelings.

Comment by TC – September 4, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that!

Comment by Dargamogirl – September 4, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about “I Have Nothing”? Then again, it’s fun to watch Idols fail miserably sometimes…

Ban “Hello”. I hated Stefano doing it this year. I guess this list is more of songs that have been done too much, but there are also performances too good for the song to ever be re-done.

Oh, I also didn’t like Lauren doing “Natural Woman” this year. Kelly’s is the best cover of that song I’ve heard.

Comment by Mic – September 4, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Summertime, anything by Whitney Houston, Dream On, Let it Be, Anything by Kelly Clarkson

Comment by me and i are cool with each other – September 4, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree anything by Whitney, but add anything by Celine as well.

Comment by cathiran – September 4, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, a thousand times yes for banning Celine!!!!

Comment by Amanda – September 5, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chaka Khan’s I’m Every Woman needs to go. But, I can live with it, if like Michael says, people are banned from ever trying to sing a Stevie Wonder song.

Comment by Annie – September 4, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everything from the Beatles…

Comment by Gina – September 4, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I SECOND THAT! We especially don’t need episode after episode after episode of Beatles songbook performances. Enough already!

Comment by Lauren – September 5, 2011 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House of the Rising Sun, Summertime, and The Change’s Gonna Come should not be sung again in AI. Also, I’m ours, Hey Soul Sister and any Adele Song ever should enroll on the witness protection program STAT.

(X Factor starts in lees than three weeks. How many weeks until Idol starts?)

Comment by Emma – September 4, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • black horse and a cherry tree – hate it every time i hear it

Comment by jason – September 4, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i agree. that song definitely needs to be retired.

Comment by kristie – September 5, 2011 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R Kelly’s I Believe I Can Fly needs to be retired as well.

Comment by Jose P – September 4, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dear god, how can anyone sing that song with a straight face?

Comment by jennrae – September 4, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lets make this simple, ban all:

Whitney Houston songs—no one ever does them justice anyways.
    Mariah Carey songs—just stop.
    Michael Jackson songs—do I really even need to explain this one?

Comment by Zola – September 4, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree…all of the above!!

Comment by sue – September 4, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree with these and add Celine to the list.

Comment by teecie – September 4, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Probably all Whitney Houston songs and all Celine Dion songs!

Comment by Nicole – September 4, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • AGREED!
      anything by superb singers along the lines of Whitney, Celine, Mariah, etc…the Idols may be good, but hardly anyone can pull off songs from these ladies.

Comment by Kate – September 4, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ – please put this song back in the vault and leave it there.

Comment by Nan S – September 4, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! That overplayed and colorless Journey ditty should be taken out of the selection. Interesting though how Chris Jericho had that for his dance routine and subsequently got eliminated… same when James Durbin sang it. Hmmm…

Comment by Cup of Joe – September 4, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG YES!!!!!

Comment by jewelry – September 5, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with every song on that list. I would also add “And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going.” I just don’t want to hear that song ever again. If Nigel’s ear is open I would suggest a banned artist list: Stevie Wonder, Whitney Houston, and yes The Beatles.

Comment by Christina – September 4, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • VERY much agreed on “Alone” by Heart. If Nigel Lythgoe doesn’t ban that song, I’m going to have to vote with my TV ratings and not watch that piece of crap so long as that song is still in play.

If that song is banned from any and all Idol competitions from here on out, I might watch again.

Can’t wait for X-Factor! Hopefully I don’t have to hear Alone at least once or twice every season.

Comment by BJ – September 4, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the love of all that is good, PLEASE ban “I’m every woman!”

Comment by Holly – September 4, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel the same, great song, but i’ve heard it enough…

Comment by Jake – September 4, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the list of songs from the past couple of seasons I could have lived without:

Angel
    A House is Not a Home
    Summertime
    All By Myself
    I Believe I Can Fly
    Lately
    Piece of My Heart
    Without You
    Fallin
    My Girl
    Superstition

Comment by Christina – September 4, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! This list is perfect.

Comment by Justin – September 4, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! THIS is the list!!!! Yours above, plus this – thank you!

Comment by MKM – September 4, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on board for banning everything Whitney Houston but if I had to pick one – I want to Dance With Somebody – it never goes well for anyone.
    And Benny and the Jets should be retired and Haley’s jersey hung from the rafters.

Comment by Trish – September 4, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What About Love, anything by Stevie Wonder or The Beatles.

Comment by Justin – September 4, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God Bless The Child. I’m done with it!

Comment by Maggie – September 4, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they all should be forced to sing Kathy Mattea’s heart-wrenching Where’ve You Been and if they don’t make at least one judge cry, they have to go. And then those who stay should be make to sing Garth Brooks’ Ain’t Going Down Til The Sun Comes Up, without the aid of extra oxygen and if they make it through that without passing out, then they can really stay.

Comment by Kiki – September 4, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fallin’ by Alicia Keys

Please keep it out of the audition rounds too. I am soooo sick of that song. It’s one of the most overplayed songs of the last decade.

Comment by Don J – September 4, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word!

Comment by Princess Adora – September 4, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed!

Comment by kg – September 4, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you! I think everyone forgets the audition round has a list of songs. When I auditioned (Season 2) we had a list of 4 pages worth of songs. I am sure they can go back and figure which songs have recieved the least amount of air play and stick to those.

Comment by Tia – September 5, 2011 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES! As much as I love Haley, no Idol should ever sing this song ever again, EVER. I think if they do, I’m just going to mute the TV.

Comment by Brigette – September 5, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely Fallin’ by Alicia Keys AND any and all versions of I Will Always Love You.

Comment by Yep – September 6, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love it if there was a Hall of Idol Fame, where the very best Idol performance songs go to live and not be repeated, see; Mad World, You give Love A Bad Name, Heartless, A Song For You, Hallelujah, Billie Jean, My Funny Valentine, Slow Ride… etc.

And please, unless you have the vocal chords of a certain Steven Tyler or Adam Lambert, please DON’T sing ‘Dream On’… Yes, I’m talking to you Gokey!

Comment by Karen – September 4, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …Also, could we please ban Randy Jackson!?

Comment by Karen – September 4, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that. Thank you!

Comment by ladyhelix – September 4, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i third that!

Comment by kristie – September 5, 2011 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yesssssss!!!!!!

Comment by Yo – September 5, 2011 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, please!

Comment by zaza – September 5, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they should ban all songs performed by AI winners because it is unlikely that someone will do it better.

Then in addition they should ban any songs performed more than 3 times and any songs peformed in the previous two years before the current season (Top 24).

Comment by Suz – September 4, 2011 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • please! they really should put limits like these on song selection!

Comment by Kate – September 4, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pretty much every Idol winner’s had at least one song that they did pretty terribly on. Why should Idol contestants be forbidden from singing “Take me Home, Country Roads”, “Living On a Prayer” or “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” just because they were once sung badly by Taylor, Jordan, and Carrie?

Comment by Kevin C. – September 8, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • crazy little thing called love

Comment by pnkl8y – September 4, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is my pick too!
      It can’t seem to be attempted without awkward dance moves and overly phoney chipperness.

Comment by wash – September 4, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guys, they’re never going to ban ‘The Beatles’. Do you have any idea what they went through to get the rights to those songs? I agree, most people just butcher them. On the other hand, to keep pleading them to stop is futile. Save your energy.
    Now having said that, if I hear ‘And I’m Telling You I’m Not Going’ on this show one more time, I might take an ice pick to my ear drums. Why wouldn’t contestants want to set themselves apart by singing songs no one has attempted before? I’m just saying….

Comment by Amy – September 4, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody”. No good will come from doing this song again.

Comment by Octodad – September 4, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loathe….i feel the earth move under my feet, i feel the sky come tumbling down…..ughhhh just writing that makes me cringe! sorry carole king.

Comment by Simon – September 4, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I disagree about banning songs – I’m always ready to hear a good performance, no matter what the song. Surprise me! Make me like “Against The Odds!”

Comment by Pop Vulture – September 4, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Pop Vulture, I like your attitude and I agree 100% sing whatever song you want just make it good

Comment by Lana – September 5, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • everything that was sung by David Cook

Comment by Suenee – September 4, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hear, hear! Especially Music of the Night and Billie Jean.

Comment by Templar – September 4, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ban the whole program.

Comment by Darren – September 4, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like David Cook and can’t stand any music by Mariah Carey, but Cook singing Always Be My Baby was the high point of an otherwise boring season. The problem isn’t the songs, it’s that the contestants all sound the same – very few of them try something new.

Comment by hhu32 – September 4, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is true. Most contestants have been complimented so much from their friends, family, and community that they think that their pretty voices and shining faces are all that’s needed to make themselves stand out because they are just that special.

Comment by jennrae – September 4, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Which is what made Adam Lambert such a breath of fresh air. Always unexpected, vocally superior and exciting to watch.

Comment by Templar – September 4, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought season 7 was the best, actually.

Comment by v – September 4, 2011 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I liked season 5 more than 7, maybe if it had been a David Cook/Carly Smithson finale… (I really need to get over that). Season 5 had the best contestants and the worst finale.

Comment by hhu32 – September 5, 2011 04:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Season 10 was a lot like Season 5… good diversity in the finalists – and no CLEAR favorite to win. That made Season 5 and 10 better for me than 7.

I also think Season 10 had some of the best contestants ever – and the worst finale. I love Scotty and Lauren, but Haley really deserved to be there, and it would’ve been a better finale if she was in it!

Great list Michael… I cringe when I hear some of those – especially Heatwave I would say. However, gotta admit that when I heard the “I Who Have Nothing” choice for Haley, I thought it would be a huge FAIL… and I was wrong.

Comment by brady – September 5, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. When I go back and listen to tapes I made of every season, Season 7 just resonates. There were so many wonderful singers that year. The great thing about Idol, though, is that almost every year there is someone who really grabs us. David Cook singing Billie Jean, Adam Lambert singing Mad World, David Archeleta singing Imagine, Haley singing House of the Rising Sun. I could go on and on with favorites, but to get back to the subject of this column, the song I would tell no one to ever sing again on Idol is Unchained Melody. Clay did a good job with it, but Lauren butchered it last year. The original will NEVER be topped.

Comment by sue – September 6, 2011 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson
    “Natural Woman” by Aretha Franklin
    “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys (I’m not even a big fan of Alicia singing it)

Comment by Sydney – September 4, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote “Fallin’” by Alicia Keys as well. I’ve always disliked it and it’s been overdone on AI.

Comment by Davers – September 4, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Falling Slowly. Kris Allen sang it during Season 8 and killed it. It was a first and it was amazing. The next season Crystal Bowersox and Lee DeWyze did a duet which did not come close to topping Kris’ version. So IMO, one should never touch genius.

Like Hallelujah that was all Jason Castro’s, so should Falling Slowly be Kris Allen’s.

Both songs were done touchingly and beautifully by both singers. Let it be theirs, just as Solitaire belongs only to Clay Aiken.

Yes I’m a Kris Allen looney. Deal with it. LOL