Fall TV Preview

Oh, Baby! 25 Grey's Anatomy Premiere Photos

Grey’s Anatomy will premiere its eighth (and possibly very transitional) season on Thursday, Sept. 22, with a two-hour event — and ABC has released a slew of photos giving fans a taste of what to expect.

For starters, there are several pics featuring Zola, the baby that Meredith and Derek were to jazzed to adopt as Season 7 drew to a close — only to find the hand-off tainted by a bit of marital discord. (That Mer looks at all smiley in one or two of the images suggests to me that those are actually behind-the-scenes outtakes of a happy Ellen Pompeo.)

Grey’s Anatomy Season 8 Promo: Meredith Is [Spoiler]!

You’ll also see April trying to take charge as chief resident; a shirtless Justin Chambers playing patient (my diagnosis: Alex suffers from a perpetually broken heart); Owen seemingly giving Derek some advice; and just a touch of Teddy/Henry action.

Flip through our slideshow and tell us your latest thoughts on the upcoming season.

Comments (35)

• Mmm, Callie’s hair. And Derek, don’t listen to a word Owen Hunt says. That dude is poison.

Comment by xav – September 4, 2011 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Always gotta have someone hating!

Comment by lara – September 4, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • callie looks pissed…

Comment by lau – September 4, 2011 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A shirtless Justin Chambers. Stop. That’s all I need to know to tune in.

Comment by Tracy – September 4, 2011 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A little dough-y if you ask me.

Comment by francine – September 4, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Shallow, much?

Comment by Patrick – September 5, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sweet! I love teddy and henry. Cutest couple ever!

Comment by kat – September 4, 2011 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, this ^_^
      Please don’t let Henry die–Teddy deserves some happiness.

Comment by Alicia – September 4, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree! Teddy deserves to be happy! she’s a good person. I admire her when she didn’t make a move or anything when she was with Owen in Iraq and also when they are already in Seattle Grace she let Owen go in the end. Now it’s her turn to be happy. So Shonda don’t dare kill Henry! NO TO DENNY 2.0!

Comment by Pam – September 4, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Alex is ok. Eagerly awaiting the return of Grey’s because I’ve missed the show this summer. LOL Matt, agree that anything with Meredith smiling must be BTS and be Ellen P smiling. I don’t think there’s a character on tv that smiles less than Meredith even when she should be happy. Can’t think of many characters that would get engaged then be all frowny because they don’t want a ring, frown when their mate wants to take them out because they like Valentine’s Day or get mad and frown when their spouse is promoted because someone calls them Mrs. There’s a column for you – televisions frowniest characters with M. Grey leading the list.

Comment by Patti – September 4, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think she’s been happy and smiling more in the past few years as her character has evolved. As far as the Valentine’s date, Cristina was even more adamant than Meredith about the Valentines day date. Cristina cried when she got engaged and I don’t think they were tears of happiness. Alex has a perpetual scowl on. This is not a happy, smiling show (unless you count the month and Lepdia). I’m not looking for happy smiling people all the time in this show as they become boring.

Comment by Amy – September 4, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited to see Cristina helping Alex. Always a pleasure to see her with all the different characters. I love Sandra Oh and Cristina and the more of her the better. I am hoping for a lot of screen time for her because Sandra rocks every piece of material she is given. Last season setup lots of drama for Cristina so bring it on!

ICA that Meredith is the Debbie Downer/Pissypants of the show. I expect nothing remotely happy when she appears on screen. So much so that I dread when characters I like have scenes and Meredith appears. She’s like a walking black cloud.

Comment by Michelle – September 4, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meredith is in scrubs and helping Bailey, does that mean she gets unfired?

Comment by Jessica – September 4, 2011 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t been following tv news most of the summer so all the Grey’s news is new to me. I’m intrigued and will be tuning in for sure. As for Meredith being gloomy, no one on Grey’s is ever exactly filled with joy but she does seem more downtrodden than most. Maybe season 8 is there year she will smile a few times?

Comment by Elaine – September 4, 2011 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lexie is stunning…but she can’t rock bangs. It’s okay, few can.

Comment by Captain – September 4, 2011 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Karev shirtless? NICE!!! Can’t wait to see that. Hmm, where’s Arizona? Where’s Mark? I hope that after butchering Callie’s and Arizona’s character last season they don’t get relegated to background players. Not everyone watches the show for ‘the originals’.

Comment by Babygate – September 4, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just what I am thinking. Not one picture with Arizona. Count me as one that does not watch this show for the originals. My favourite used to be Izzie, but now that she is gone it is all about Arizona and Callie for me now. I understand this is a ensemble show… just don’t relegate them to background because of it. Jessica Capshaw is a resource not to be wasted!

Comment by Priscilla – September 4, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the great GA photos Matt! Really looking forward to the SLs of the season one characters this year. It’s looking like Ellen Pompeo and Justin Chambers in particular may have some great dramatic scenes and both rock at that. So excited to see what happens this season of GA after seeing these photo!

Comment by Amy – September 4, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think you are right Matt. Rhimes and her writer’s rarely let the beautful and gorgeous Ms. Pompeo smile. That is a shot that I doubt we will see on screen. They even admit to loving kicking Meredith and kicking her again when she is down. What is up with that?

Comment by SD – September 4, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! I love the Teddy and Henry photos. Aaaah, I spent the waiting months reading fan fictions to get me by their absence. The agony of waiting for months is worth it knowing that they have this beautiful in-love photos next season. Best couple ever! Can’t wait, I’m counting down to the season premiere!

Comment by patty – September 4, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, Teddy-Henry nursed my broken heart. So I’m wishing/hoping for just happiness for them this coming season or else I’ll go back to moping. Lol.

Comment by phoebe – September 4, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big NO to Bailey’s hair. Looks very GA-typical. Hopefully it’s semi-interesting.

Comment by Danielle H. – September 4, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kim Raver is so pretty!

Comment by AC – September 4, 2011 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE ELLEN POMPEO
    she is my reason for watching Grey’s Anatomy.
    Meredith looks intense I can’t wait for the new season.

Comment by Dani – September 5, 2011 03:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ellen Pompeo has a gorgeous amazing smile. she is beautiful and stunning and is looking radiant. Meredith should smile more. :)
    She is an amazing actress.

Comment by a fan – September 5, 2011 03:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i cant wait for greys to come back.
    For me ellen and patrick make the show and im excited whats to come for MerDer x

Comment by gem – September 5, 2011 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Meredith Grey! Seriously cannot wait to see her back on my screen again.

Comment by Lili – September 5, 2011 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know lots of people don’t want Cristina to have the baby because they think it will ‘ruin her character’ but I really want her to, mainly because I love her and Owen and if she had an abortion they would not survive. I hope the shot of her and Meredith with Zola, with Cristina carrying the ‘baby’ bag, is her starting to change her mind.

Comment by Lauren – September 5, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every single one of them looks unhappy except Teddy who I don’t care about. Seems to be a lot going on in the two hour premiere and I find myself looking forward to it.I hope the writing is better this year than last.

Comment by Steph – September 5, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the Teddy-henry photo. They make such an adorable couple. You, guys made more excited about the season premiere. and btw I hope Henry doesn’t die.

Comment by katrina – September 5, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Izzy’s back in the ER and this time she dies..

Comment by Erin – September 5, 2011 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • don’t care for christine and owen, could care less about Teddy and Henry. To my mind the most interesting character is Arizona and she is played by the best actor on the show JCap. So where are the pics of Arizona? I hope they give her a decent storyline this year and don’t waste her talents, because last years CAM fiasco of a storyline was just awful!

Comment by Chris – September 6, 2011 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hurry up and start,I’ll be there.

Comment by marya – September 6, 2011 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s up with Derek/Patrick Dempsey’s hair? Is the stress making him go grey?

Comment by Cat – September 6, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree. If calzona become background players I will only be watching their scenes on youtube….don’t care too much about the originals..Except for the nazi (bailey) love her!

Comment by Calzona fan – September 8, 2011 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post