Oh, Baby! 25 Grey's Anatomy Premiere Photos

Grey’s Anatomy will premiere its eighth (and possibly very transitional) season on Thursday, Sept. 22, with a two-hour event — and ABC has released a slew of photos giving fans a taste of what to expect.

For starters, there are several pics featuring Zola, the baby that Meredith and Derek were to jazzed to adopt as Season 7 drew to a close — only to find the hand-off tainted by a bit of marital discord. (That Mer looks at all smiley in one or two of the images suggests to me that those are actually behind-the-scenes outtakes of a happy Ellen Pompeo.)

Grey’s Anatomy Season 8 Promo: Meredith Is [Spoiler]!

You’ll also see April trying to take charge as chief resident; a shirtless Justin Chambers playing patient (my diagnosis: Alex suffers from a perpetually broken heart); Owen seemingly giving Derek some advice; and just a touch of Teddy/Henry action.

Flip through our slideshow and tell us your latest thoughts on the upcoming season.

1. xav says:

Mmm, Callie’s hair. And Derek, don’t listen to a word Owen Hunt says. That dude is poison.

2. lau says:

callie looks pissed…

3. Tracy says:

A shirtless Justin Chambers. Stop. That’s all I need to know to tune in.

4. kat says:

sweet! I love teddy and henry. Cutest couple ever!

• Alicia says:

Yes, this ^_^
      Please don’t let Henry die–Teddy deserves some happiness.

• Pam says:

Agree! Teddy deserves to be happy! she’s a good person. I admire her when she didn’t make a move or anything when she was with Owen in Iraq and also when they are already in Seattle Grace she let Owen go in the end. Now it’s her turn to be happy. So Shonda don’t dare kill Henry! NO TO DENNY 2.0!

5. Patti says:

I hope Alex is ok. Eagerly awaiting the return of Grey’s because I’ve missed the show this summer. LOL Matt, agree that anything with Meredith smiling must be BTS and be Ellen P smiling. I don’t think there’s a character on tv that smiles less than Meredith even when she should be happy. Can’t think of many characters that would get engaged then be all frowny because they don’t want a ring, frown when their mate wants to take them out because they like Valentine’s Day or get mad and frown when their spouse is promoted because someone calls them Mrs. There’s a column for you – televisions frowniest characters with M. Grey leading the list.

• Amy says:

I think she’s been happy and smiling more in the past few years as her character has evolved. As far as the Valentine’s date, Cristina was even more adamant than Meredith about the Valentines day date. Cristina cried when she got engaged and I don’t think they were tears of happiness. Alex has a perpetual scowl on. This is not a happy, smiling show (unless you count the month and Lepdia). I’m not looking for happy smiling people all the time in this show as they become boring.

6. Michelle says:

I’m excited to see Cristina helping Alex. Always a pleasure to see her with all the different characters. I love Sandra Oh and Cristina and the more of her the better. I am hoping for a lot of screen time for her because Sandra rocks every piece of material she is given. Last season setup lots of drama for Cristina so bring it on!

ICA that Meredith is the Debbie Downer/Pissypants of the show. I expect nothing remotely happy when she appears on screen. So much so that I dread when characters I like have scenes and Meredith appears. She’s like a walking black cloud.

7. Jessica says:

Meredith is in scrubs and helping Bailey, does that mean she gets unfired?

8. Elaine says:

I haven’t been following tv news most of the summer so all the Grey’s news is new to me. I’m intrigued and will be tuning in for sure. As for Meredith being gloomy, no one on Grey’s is ever exactly filled with joy but she does seem more downtrodden than most. Maybe season 8 is there year she will smile a few times?

9. Captain says:

Lexie is stunning…but she can’t rock bangs. It’s okay, few can.

10. Babygate says:

Karev shirtless? NICE!!! Can’t wait to see that. Hmm, where’s Arizona? Where’s Mark? I hope that after butchering Callie’s and Arizona’s character last season they don’t get relegated to background players. Not everyone watches the show for ‘the originals’.

• Priscilla says:

Just what I am thinking. Not one picture with Arizona. Count me as one that does not watch this show for the originals. My favourite used to be Izzie, but now that she is gone it is all about Arizona and Callie for me now. I understand this is a ensemble show… just don’t relegate them to background because of it. Jessica Capshaw is a resource not to be wasted!

11. Amy says:

Thank you for the great GA photos Matt! Really looking forward to the SLs of the season one characters this year. It’s looking like Ellen Pompeo and Justin Chambers in particular may have some great dramatic scenes and both rock at that. So excited to see what happens this season of GA after seeing these photo!

12. SD says:

I think you are right Matt. Rhimes and her writer’s rarely let the beautful and gorgeous Ms. Pompeo smile. That is a shot that I doubt we will see on screen. They even admit to loving kicking Meredith and kicking her again when she is down. What is up with that?

13. patty says:

OMG! I love the Teddy and Henry photos. Aaaah, I spent the waiting months reading fan fictions to get me by their absence. The agony of waiting for months is worth it knowing that they have this beautiful in-love photos next season. Best couple ever! Can’t wait, I’m counting down to the season premiere!

14. phoebe says:

Seriously, Teddy-Henry nursed my broken heart. So I’m wishing/hoping for just happiness for them this coming season or else I’ll go back to moping. Lol.

15. Danielle H. says:

Big NO to Bailey’s hair. Looks very GA-typical. Hopefully it’s semi-interesting.

16. AC says:

Kim Raver is so pretty!

17. Dani says:

I LOVE ELLEN POMPEO
    she is my reason for watching Grey’s Anatomy.
    Meredith looks intense I can’t wait for the new season.

18. a fan says:

Ellen Pompeo has a gorgeous amazing smile. she is beautiful and stunning and is looking radiant. Meredith should smile more. :)
    She is an amazing actress.

19. gem says:

i cant wait for greys to come back.
    For me ellen and patrick make the show and im excited whats to come for MerDer x

20. Lili says:

I love Meredith Grey! Seriously cannot wait to see her back on my screen again.

21. Lauren says:

I know lots of people don’t want Cristina to have the baby because they think it will ‘ruin her character’ but I really want her to, mainly because I love her and Owen and if she had an abortion they would not survive. I hope the shot of her and Meredith with Zola, with Cristina carrying the ‘baby’ bag, is her starting to change her mind.

22. Steph says:

Every single one of them looks unhappy except Teddy who I don’t care about. Seems to be a lot going on in the two hour premiere and I find myself looking forward to it.I hope the writing is better this year than last.

23. katrina says:

Thank you for the Teddy-henry photo. They make such an adorable couple. You, guys made more excited about the season premiere. and btw I hope Henry doesn’t die.

24. Erin says:

Izzy’s back in the ER and this time she dies..

25. Chris says:

don’t care for christine and owen, could care less about Teddy and Henry. To my mind the most interesting character is Arizona and she is played by the best actor on the show JCap. So where are the pics of Arizona? I hope they give her a decent storyline this year and don’t waste her talents, because last years CAM fiasco of a storyline was just awful!

26. marya says:

Hurry up and start,I’ll be there.

27. Cat says:

What’s up with Derek/Patrick Dempsey’s hair? Is the stress making him go grey?

28. Calzona fan says:

I agree. If calzona become background players I will only be watching their scenes on youtube….don’t care too much about the originals..Except for the nazi (bailey) love her!