All My Children's Susan Lucci Claims ABC Exec's 'Ignorance, Arrogance' Destroyed Show

All My Children‘s Susan Lucci is not going quietly into the night.

Just days after the soap taped its final episode on ABC, daytime’s queen diva is placing the blame for the show’s demise squarely on the network’s daytime chief, Brian Frons.

According to the New York Post, the paperback edition of Lucci’s memoir, “All My Life,” contains a fresh epilogue in which she recounts how she personally berated Frons, saying, “I think our being in this position is the result of some very bad decisions by you.”

Scoop: All My Children Beauty Will Party With ABC’s Body of Proof

The Emmy winner claims Frons oversaw “subpar” writing when he installed soap vet Chuck Pratt as headwriter in 2008 and pushed out AMC creator Agnes Nixon. She also maintains that Frons told her last spring that the legendary sudser would be replaced by food-based talk show The Chew because it was cheaper to produce.

“An iconic show was losing out to greed,” she allegedly writes. “If Brian Frons could show his bosses that he could save the network 40 percent … he could keep his job even if the rest of us lost ours… I watched Brian Frons’ decisions destroy the production of our show and the lives of people on both sides of the country… [He] has what, for me, is that fatal combination of ignorance and arrogance. I cannot fathom any network executive choosing to alienate millions of loyal viewers in these economic times.”

ABC’s The View to Pay Tribute to All My Children With Hour Special

In a statement, an ABC rep told the Post, “We have all the respect in the world for Susan, and are sorry she felt the need to write this epilogue to an otherwise incredible career.”

Finding Primetime Jobs for Daytime Stars: The Women of All My Children

The literary leak comes as AMC‘s new owner, Prospect Park, is attempting to hammer out deals with cast to move the show to the Internet. Meanwhile, as TVLine reported this week, Lucci has been tapped to co-host a special hour of ABC’s The View that will pay homage to All My Children on Sept. 23, the soap’s ABC broadcast finale date. It’ll be interesting to see how Babs and Co. maneuver around this particular hot topic.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Controversy, News

1. Donnie says:

Obviously there are a lot of people on here talking crap about AMC declining and it was a good idea taking it off the air. First off ABC is owned by Disney which spends loads of money and crap including more amusement parks outside this country and Prince of Persia and John Carter movies. Second you probably never watched AMC so why are you even reading this article? Is it to just give an opinion against something people cared about? Why are you even here posting on this? Go away! Last but not least, no one is going to watch these new replacement shows, while they may be cheaper, no one will actually care about them. So you’ll go from the viewers who actually watched those time slots to no one watching those time slots at all. Maybe just the few folks who had crap to talk about in here, I doubt it though because I’m sure their on another page knocking something people enjoy.

2. Eileen says:

Being a soap viewer for 44 yrs I am devastated to be losing 2 of my 3 fav shows. if soaps r such a dying breed y r so many primetime show “soap like”? Desp HW parenthood, etc.. Even drama shows like Greys Anatomy, crime shows like Castle all have soaps signature continuing storylines. Even comedy shows r continuing. Must say something about soaps when most primetime shows r soap like. Mad Men, Entourage, Boardwalk Empire and on and on. Susan Lucci has every right to speak her mind. She was loyal to ABC till the end. She’ll always be my idol, Erica will always be daytimes greatest
    Character role. Poo poo to Brian Frons. Especially what he did to Agnes Nixon. Shame on u Brian. Once DW is done I am done w/ABC daytime & primetime. I will be with GH as long as it’s around. Redeem yourself with a last minute reprieve for OLTL and don’t cancel GH. I could go on 4 ever on this topic. One more time kudos to Susan Lucci, I will always love her and miss Erica.

3. Sue says:

Congrats to Susan Lucci for speaking out on behalf of her fellow co workers and the fans!! We, the fans, have watched this show in particular decline in QUALITY over the years. At times we barely recognize the show. Those of you who are commenting about the decline of the genre…do you, or have you ever watched the show?? Are you basing your opinions on what you read online or somewhere else? I have been watching this show from the beginning and NO ONE EVER called me for my opinion, nor was I ever invited to participate in a focus group. I’m wondering if ABC doesn’t just pull people in off the street and hold “focus groups” with people who don’t watch soaps to begin with. In addition, ABC cancels their primetime shows without giving them a chance to build an audience, i.e., DirtySexyMoney, Life on Mars, Detroit 187, and so on. My household will not be watching the replacement daytime programming on ABC, nor will we watch any new ABC primetime shows this season because ABC is too eager to pull the trigger and cancel them. Once Desperate Housewives and Grey’s Anatomy are gone, ABC will be gone from our DVR lineup.

I am a OLTL fan more than anything and I will follow that show to whatever format they bring it to.

4. sladewilson says:

God bless Susan Lucci!!!! Frons has always been a S.O.B. – glad she and Slezak finally publically called him on his crap…

5. tazzy says:

Different people enjoy watching different types of shows, so shame on those of you who are blasting soap operas. Just because you don’t like them doesn’t make them stupid or out of date.

I’m proud of Susan Lucci for standing up and telling the truth. Long-term fans of the show know that Brian Frons has had it in for soaps for a long time. He’s ruined the daytime landscape. It won’t ever be the same.

And I’ll be watching AMC and OLTL as soon as they are available online.

I encourage everyone who feels strongly about this to boycott ABC and the advertisers who support any daytime programming on it. Like another poster stated, I’ve given up all other ABC programming!

6. Dixie says:

I am irate with them taking All my children and One life to live off the air. I have watched the show for 41 yrs. I love Susan and all the cast . That is two hours out of my day that I forget about all my problems . Are they serious, another cooking show. I SAY WE SHOULD ALL STOP WATCHING ABC , FROM 1-3 pm EVERYDAY UNTIL THEY BRING BACK OUR SHOWS. Don’t the loyal fans that have watched for 41 yrs Matter at all to ABC. We need to show them what a mistake they are making. PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO EVERYONE U KNOW. DO NOT WATCH ABC MON. – FRI. FROM. 1-3 PM. We all love you Susan and the rest of the original cast. Thanks for all the years you have given us.

7. Lois says:

The problem with all television, not just daytime TV, is that the networks want cheap shows rather than quality entertainment. Why should I watch “The Chew” when I can see the same type of program on other channels? It’s not unique or fresh, and has a really stupid name. Who was the genius that thought up the name “The Chew”????

8. Kat says:

Good for Susan Lucci! I am glad someone had the guts to stand up and tell it like it is! Brian Frons is no better than the corporate CEO’s who are outsourcing American jobs to raise profits and give themselves heftier bonuses! For all the people on here saying the problem is ratings – please get a clue!

The problem isn’t that people aren’t watching soaps; the problem is that ABC is measuring ratings using Nielson which is an antiquated and inaccurate mode of measurement. I’ve never met or even heard of anyone with a Nielson box. Plus, people are busy so most of us DVR our soaps and watch them at night or on weekends. If ABC had half a brain they would have realized that the baby boomers are hitting retirement and women outlive men so they could have generated some nice ad rates and built an audience out of soap watching women. Instead Frons sold the soaps out and now he expects us to watch the Chew? Not gonna happen. I am boycotting ABC’s new shows and I hope everyone else does top!

9. Cheryll says:

Hmmm, a soap that has run for years and has it’s watchers coming back every day seems like good business to me. A food show that you can take or leave on a daily basis doesn’t seem like a good bet for the advertisers to me. Three generations of a family can all recall the characters of All My Children and One Life to Live, I hope another network will scoop them up.

10. Marjie K says:

If they want to replace soaps which has millions of viewers please not with another stupid cooking show ( so original..NOT) thats pathetic. Obviously this Frons guy is a dope with no brains. Guarenteed people will not be interested in another food show. At least give us something original not copy cat
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    To the cast of AMC I was a fan and I loved the adventure. Many great stars came form your show. A touch of Class is what you are. Go with glasses and chins high and thank you for the years.

11. Susan from Ontario says:

As an avid AMC viewer for over 35 years I was very saddened to hear the news that ABC made the decision to cancel both AMC & OLTL. I applaude Susan Lucci for speaking out. Loyal viewers like myself will boycott ABC and show those execs that soap fans count and will do so by devoting viewing hours to other networks. Last rant : I’m a prof and I’m sick of listening to the posturing of those ignorant people who consistently categorize all soap fans as stupid, boring people with no life. To those I say; Get a life!!
    AMC I will miss you and to cast & crew I wish you all best of luck. Your dedication & hard work will be missed by millions of fans.

12. Ron says:

I have stopped watching ABC prime time and will not ever consider watching any of their new programming as long as Brian Frons is still employed.

13. Lisa says:

I will not watch any shows on abc either !!

14. Gayle says:

I think the afternoon soaps, which I watch for 30 years, decided to become politically correct and start forcing abortion and homosexuality on us. I stopped watching One life to live and all my children about three years ago. These were my reasons!!!

15. Linda says:

Just watching the countless commercials for The Chew make me lose my appetite for watching ABC. How could you replace our beloved soaps with such drivel! Shame on you Brian Frons!

16. prissy says:

reading these comments just confirms that soap fans don’t have a clue. Soaps are a dying breed like it or not they are ending there run and there is nothing that anyone can do about it and please stop with the they are going online that is the future. If it was so much the future primetime and cable would be sending their shows there also.

Every show in the entertainment industry dies or lives by greed, money is the only thing that matters and Mrs. Lucci should know better. AMC stop being relevant years ago, let it rest.

17. Bob says:

They’re both right. It was only a matter of time before daytime suffered the same fate as prime time. Scripted shows are very costly to produce. He chose to go the route of slash and burn, then replace with cheaper shows, to save ABC money (and probably to keep his job). ABC is hoping whatever they throw up against the wall will stick with even a small percentage of the former soap viewers. They’re still cutting costs and making money. If the new shows don’t work, they’ll dump those and try the next flavor du jour. If his plan works for ABC, don’t expect to see ANY soaps around in 3-5 years.

18. june carter says:

these millionaire ceo’s etc want to save a few bucks to make more millions. we have more than enough cooking, lifestyle shows as it is, we certainly don’t need more shows like the CHEW. you must think the t.v audience are really stupid that we cant live our lives without shows like this to tell us what to do and how to do it. as fsr as i’m concerned you can put the chew “where the sun don’t shine. bye, bye ABC.

19. norma villa says:

Will miss you all good luck to all and god bless you,sorry to see you go.love mimi

20. Kristen says:

I have been reading all of these comments and wOw ~! A LOT of good information and a LOT of “Uninformed b.s.” (you know who you are!). This show has been a part of my life since I was pregnant with my son, he’s 25 now. My mom watched OLTL and GH from day 1 and I can remember rushing home from grammar school to catch the end of GH (remembering when Luke & Laura got married the FIRST time!) when they were still 30 min. shows. It’s a sad day when a Network exec. makes a rookie move like this. I quite watching “The View” and “Rachel Ray” well over a year ago. If I want to watch a rude, left-leaning, political show I’ll find one on CNN or MSNBC. “The View” is nothing more than screeching women arguing over whether oBama is satan or the messiah. There are 2 or 3 evening shows that I still watch on ABC (the names won’t be mentioned ‘cuz Heaven KNOWS this exec. doesn’t like it if the watcher’s do!) but yeah, no. “The Chew???” Puhleeze… The trailer’s are stupid and the repercussions for this Nimrod move with AMC & OLTL will go far BEYOND the 2 hrs. involved.

21. Amber says:

I agree, Brian Frons is evil.

22. Robin says:

I will miss all of you on AMC. the fantastic celebrities. You were amazing, and I know I will be crying Fri. I really enjoyed the show, and I am really angry with ABC. Susan Lucci Thank you for your great performances. I am a soap fan, so hopefully some of you would go onto the soaps that are left, Y&TR, and DOOL is the other ones I watch.

23. Mary says:

I am just so sad to see the show of people who I invite into my home every day from Pine Valley and Llanview won’t be dropping in anylonger. My teen daughters and I DVR these 2 shows everyday and watch them in the evening when we get home. I have been watching AMC since day 1! I used to tape it on VCR when I could and prior to that, I’d be sick from school every couple of weeks just to catch up (drove my mother crazy).

The fact that they are bein cancelled is evident that Frons had a complete dislike for this genre of show, from day 1 on the job his main intent was to have them eliminated from the line-up He says that the ratings have been declining for years and again, I will state the fact that they never took into account the thousands of viewers who watch via DVR, SoapNet or on-line! I’ve personally viewed via all three!!! This guy is an idiot, who I pray one day ABC / Disney terminates for his bone headed decision on this matter. I will not NOW or EVER watch The Chew!!! To me, its just another time slot filler for ABC!!!

I think Disney, the parent company to ABC needs to take a good hard look at the people that they employ in the top ranking decision making positions and clean house!!!!! I think that they will regret this decision, and now it is too late to make any changes, they have sold the contracts and it is a done deal! Maybe they have held onto a couple of options in the contract that will allow them to re-purchase the contract back and bring the show back once they come to their senses and realize their mistake, but I have my doubts.

In the words of Charlie Sheen; “FAIL OF EPIC PROPORTIONS” ABC!!!!!!

24. Cathy says:

I have watched AMC for years and sad to see it leave tv. It won’t be the same online but I will check it out and hope it comes back to tv. As for the chew and what other stupid shows abc trys I will NEVER watch that channel again and hope they get what they deserve,loose everything!!!

25. Jill says:

everything is about saving money, ok what about the people who pay the cable companies money to watch what we want and not choosen for us. only if they put All My Children on evenings people would be home to watch them they at one point said advisters where upset that we all have dvr’s and don’t watch the commericals so they don’t make money and the time slot was no good because of now working mom’s well what ever put it back on why didn’t soapnet pick it up what is going to happen to that channel there will be 2 soaps less to put on the air comes Jan 2012

26. jimmie cabrol says:

I think it is pitiful to replace “all my children” with the stupid
    “The Chew”. i certainly won’t watch it. “all my children” was a
    favorite for many, many fans.It would be really nice if another network would pick it up!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Shelley says:

I am 51and have been watching All My Children since high school. I am so sad to see this TV ICON go off the air. I work in a very high paced stressful industry and have DVR’d AMC for years. It was a welcome escape for me at the end of a long day at work. I have grown up with most of the stars and will miss the wonderful stories. Perhaps ABC will realize the mistake…one can always hope. I look forward to continuing with the cast on the Internet. Big thanks to the wonderful cast of AMC for letting me escape from my crazy, hectic life for an hour a day for so many years!

28. Madonna B. says:

I’m done with ABC…they have nothing to offer me anymore…I will sacrifice the few shows I watched to boycott them altogether because of the lack if consideration for the viewers and the Stars and their rolls on AMC and OLTL…I’m finished ABC…and I hope a multitude follow. You will regret your decission.

29. Roll Dog says:

I am glad that Susan Lucci spoke her mind. Don’t let ABC take all the credit.

If something like this happened with my favorite shows Young and Restless and Bold and Beautiful, I would be pissed and probably no longer watch CBS entirely.

30. Patty says:

ABC stands for “Already Been condemned”

31. karen says:

CHEW ON THIS ABC, you have made a BIG mistake thinking soap fans will not retaliate!

32. Kitty says:

I’ve already quit watching almost everything on the “big 3″ (ABC, NBC and CBS). Most of the stuff on TV now is crap anyway. They don’t know how to write anything that isn’t loaded with sex and violence, or innuendo at the very least. The movie and TV industry have perpetrated a huge calculated disservice to mainstream America and our children are starting to demonstrate what all the sex and viloence in entertainment are doing to them.

33. HL says:

The World needs these long running soaps for LONGER TIME ect……..

34. hl says:

How much money does ABC make from all the paid programs they air
    all the time we want our soaps they can afford them now before the world boycotts them other companies make quality products, shows and park’s.