All My Children's Susan Lucci Claims ABC Exec's 'Ignorance, Arrogance' Destroyed Show

Get More: Controversy, News

All My Children‘s Susan Lucci is not going quietly into the night.

Just days after the soap taped its final episode on ABC, daytime’s queen diva is placing the blame for the show’s demise squarely on the network’s daytime chief, Brian Frons.

According to the New York Post, the paperback edition of Lucci’s memoir, “All My Life,” contains a fresh epilogue in which she recounts how she personally berated Frons, saying, “I think our being in this position is the result of some very bad decisions by you.”

Scoop: All My Children Beauty Will Party With ABC’s Body of Proof

The Emmy winner claims Frons oversaw “subpar” writing when he installed soap vet Chuck Pratt as headwriter in 2008 and pushed out AMC creator Agnes Nixon. She also maintains that Frons told her last spring that the legendary sudser would be replaced by food-based talk show The Chew because it was cheaper to produce.

“An iconic show was losing out to greed,” she allegedly writes. “If Brian Frons could show his bosses that he could save the network 40 percent … he could keep his job even if the rest of us lost ours… I watched Brian Frons’ decisions destroy the production of our show and the lives of people on both sides of the country… [He] has what, for me, is that fatal combination of ignorance and arrogance. I cannot fathom any network executive choosing to alienate millions of loyal viewers in these economic times.”

ABC’s The View to Pay Tribute to All My Children With Hour Special

In a statement, an ABC rep told the Post, “We have all the respect in the world for Susan, and are sorry she felt the need to write this epilogue to an otherwise incredible career.”

Finding Primetime Jobs for Daytime Stars: The Women of All My Children

The literary leak comes as AMC‘s new owner, Prospect Park, is attempting to hammer out deals with cast to move the show to the Internet. Meanwhile, as TVLine reported this week, Lucci has been tapped to co-host a special hour of ABC’s The View that will pay homage to All My Children on Sept. 23, the soap’s ABC broadcast finale date. It’ll be interesting to see how Babs and Co. maneuver around this particular hot topic.

Comments (164)

• You go girl!!!! Love you and AMC! Thanks for acknowledging the truth.

Comment by Syd – September 3, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Personally I think that Brian Frons is very smart and he know where he is going, he seem to be more part of the solution than of the problem, and oddly there’s plenty of pictures of Brian Frons and Susan Lucci hands in hands seeming to get along perfectly on the internet… Beside apparently peoples don’t enjoy soaps anymore, CBS cancelled Guiding Light and As the World Turns recently…

Comment by JoeBlo – September 3, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • what “people” were polled and how extensively i never heard of any survey, poll or such before i heard this news why is it running for 41 years if people dont like it wrong decision, so wrong

Comment by priscilla – September 3, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I will miss All my children very much will not watch ch.7 anymore will have to try and get into a new soap opera on ch 4 and 2

Comment by Lucille Weiss – September 17, 2011 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i think the chew suck

and thank you SUSAN LUCCI FOR SPEAKING OUT TRUTH ON FRONS.

THE FANS MAKE HIM RICH NO 1 ELSE.

AND YET THE GUY STAB US IN BACK

And i hear the ratings on the CHEW ALREADY HAVE DROP

no suprise,there they will falter

corny show

i have yet to watch
          no need,i see the talk and view i am good

and raychel ray.anderson cooper,HLN

from heather-marie rothstein at facebook.

Comment by HEATHER-MARIE ROTHSTEIN,PARALEGAL,LAW STUDENT. – September 29, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You go girls, you guys are right ,I hope abc goes down from here!!!!!! I’m not watching the Chew…..

Comment by peggy – October 5, 2011 03:14 PM PDT
          • I hate this stupid new show “The Chew”.
            Bring back the soaps.

!

Comment by Terri – October 25, 2011 07:18 AM PDT
      • Brian Frons in NOT “very smart” and obviously, neither are you!

Except AMC, I’ve already quit watching EVERYTHING on ABC daytime. And once they cancel General Hospital I’ll stop watching ABC primetime, too. Even though I enjoy a number of their nighttime shows, I’m willing to take that stand. Plenty of other channels to watch!

Take a hike ABC you suck!!!

Comment by ABANDON ABC – September 3, 2011 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • AMEN, as of 9/23/11 I will NEVER watch any show’s on ABC.

Comment by debbie – September 4, 2011 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Also just wanted to add, my 14 year old daughter is a big fan now of AMC. She and her friends DVR it and watch it after school. I’d like to know who they polled to remove this show. I’m 45 and have watched it all my life. When I worked I taped it, now thanks to DVR I can tape it and watch it at night instead of all the Crap thats on (wipeout,bachelor). Well GOOD BYE ABC.

Comment by debbie – September 4, 2011 10:23 PM PDT
          • I agree with you I have already stopped watching some programs on ABC,After the 23th. I will not even turn my TV to ABC. This new show called “THE CHEW” looks boring. the one man when they were showing previews gave a suggestion about back yard bbq to use a dish towel instead of a napkin because it was larger and helps getting food on your clothes!!!! REALLY, huh I have been doing that for years, nothing new to me!! this show won’t last long, but that is what ABC gets for taking AMC, and OLTL off the air.

Comment by Patty – September 5, 2011 06:45 PM PDT
        • I am hopeful tha All My Children will return. I have been a fan for many, many years. I would really like to see that All My Children will return on AllMy Children on Telvision.

Comment by Rita Brett-Dallesandro – September 5, 2011 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think everyone who is a fan of All My Children should boycott ABC the day that it ends.. I for one will not be watching any shows on ABC network. Hope I have a following.

Comment by Linda – September 5, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I am with you I will never watch any ABC program . They are crazy if they think people will watch this stupid show. I want All my children back. I never saw any poll and the women the polled must have never watched All my children so they did not care if it was taken off.

Comment by Roxanne Davis – September 23, 2011 06:48 AM PDT
          • Right on Linda, I will never watch another show on ABC again either. I have watched All My Children since it began and I truly will miss all the characters. I think ABC made a very big mistake cancelling the show. I am holding out hope that somewhere down the line it will end up back on TV.

Comment by Susan – October 3, 2011 11:21 AM PDT
        • I totally agree with you the stupid realtiy shows and cooking shows they will be off sooner or later they will not make it and when one life to live goes off they are putting on a health show to replace that one channel 7 good bye from me for sure

Comment by Jill – September 23, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I totally agree. I too have stopped watching that channel (I won’t even mention the name of the channel they do not deserve it) I am not sure who took the survey ….maybe Brian Frons because everything he has done is wrong. I have 6 daughters 31, 28, 24, 23, 20 and 18. They all watch it. They record All My Children and watch it at night. my husband even watches it. One thing I know for sure is I have stopped watching the channel all together. IT IS TIME TO BE HEARD. Frons claimed that ABC needed new shows that were “relatable.” If AMC and OLTL had become unrelatable, it was due to years of hands-on creative mismanagement by Frons!

Comment by Gloria from NY – September 29, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I have been watching All My Children, One Life to Live and General Hospital for over 40 years. General Hospital when it was black and white. I stopped watching the other channels and switched to all ABC soaps when it started coming on for an hour. When I heard that both soaps and General Hospital maybe later were being cancelled, I couldn’t believe it. Like the other millions of other views, I was in complete shock. How could you take something away that has been a part of so many people lives for so long? I felt like someone had stabbed me in the heart. These soaps are a part of my life, a part of me. That might sound pathetic to some people, but I’m sure the other million people will tell you the same thing or something similar. One thing I know that ABC can count on from me is that I will NEVER watch the CHEW or any other program they start viewing in place of these soaps. I’m so disappointed!!!

Comment by Callestine Adams – November 10, 2011 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Are you related to him or something? Seems like the only reason anyone would defend him…fans of AMC and OLTL have heard the rumor for the last few years that Brian Frons was a soap hater and helped destroy a few others on other networks and it was only a matter of time before he got his way on ABC and got rid of them all (GH fans be warned, he’s coming for you next and something tells me he’ll still pull the plug on it even if these other replacement shows bomb). What La Lucci is saying about him isn’t surprising to me; what is surprising is that she’s willing to go on the record and say it at all (most people would fear reprecussions from dissing a former boss…obviously Susan isn’t worried about trying to get a future gig with the network). I hope his new shows tank and ABC holds him personally responsible for losing millions of viewers. It would be what he deserves for what he has done not just to fans but to all the people who worked so hard for decades to keep these two soaps on air for so long.

Comment by Tess – September 3, 2011 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sure, anyone who thinks Frons is totally TEH EVIL!!!1! must obviously be related to him. What a dumb thing to say. But it’s the fallback insult of those who can’t come up with sensible responses.

Comment by Gemini – September 3, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Tess came up with a sensible response. Your response is the fallback response of someone with nothing to say.

Frons isn’t a fan of soap operas, and replaced good writers with bad, in an effort to turn away loyal viewers. FRONS destroyed AMC and OLTL. Then he punished all the hard working people who work on those shows, by blaming them for the bad ratings and cancelling the shows. He put a lot of people out of work. It takes far less people to make the replacement shows.

Comment by maggie – September 4, 2011 08:42 AM PDT
          • but what is your response then? there is so much information out there that shows that Lucci is telling it like it is. For the last few years we have seen Frons encourage hack writers, putting his friends in charge of the ABC soaps. Only OLTL escaped that, and was fortunate to get Ron Carlivati. Frons then controlled casting and even storylines, rejecting ones that didn’t interest him. Chuck Pratt destroyed AMC, it is only now beginning to look like its old self. Frons has done a brilliant job arguing that he is not responsible, but it is irresponsible for any of the media to just accept him t his word.

And as for the Chew, already it is headed for disaster. It is doing terribly in all reviews, as is the Talk which replaced As the World Turns, another iconic soap. They are not cheaper, because they receive the heavy promotion that the soaps did not.

So here again, have you done your home work before defending Frons? If you simply do not like soaps, then really you are just talking from your own perspective. or do you have some knowledge that the rest of us do not? You might want to visit the websites that talk about what is really going on like Daytime confidential, Michael Fairman and so forth. Michael Logan at tvguide is great also. Check them out.

Comment by meggie – September 5, 2011 11:51 AM PDT
        • If there were millions of viewers, where were they when the ratings were taken? Even Oprah admitted soaps are a dieing franchise. If the viewership was there to support the show, advertisers would continue to financially support it as well. That is no longer the case. Yes, the replacement show may flop, but it’ll have a chance to attract advertisers for that timeslot and it’ll be cheaper to produce. Did SL ever mention taking a salary cut to keep the show viable? Hadn’t heard anything to that effect. Because there are so many choices now, soaps obviously are loosing out to other programming. In the end, it’s all about the business of tv revenue.

Comment by forrest – September 4, 2011 12:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Susan Lucci took a major paycut! She talked about that when she was on Oprah. You can find the clips on youtube.

Comment by Amanda – September 4, 2011 03:07 AM PDT
          • @forrest. the ratings went down because they did not include the huge majority of fans who watch by DVR or on soapnet. those numbers can’t be, and never were, included in the Neilsen ratings. as for pay cuts, those of us who actually follow the soap industry (in ways other than forums like this) are painfully aware of the sacrifices many of our longest running stars have taken over the years in the name of maintaining the genre. do your homework, dude

Comment by valdar – September 5, 2011 10:14 AM PDT
      • I think that Brian Frons is to blame for AMC’s demise. The show’s writing has become so bad that even long time fans stopped watching the show, which caused ratings to plummet. This directs back to Brian Frons by his hiring of subpar writers and his agenda to get rid of soaps. No one can be faulted by wanting to save money for a company, but this was driven by greed more than practicality. You say that soaps aren’t popular…that’s not exactly true. The only reason As the World Turns was cancelled was because CBS executive Les Moonves wanted his wife to get her own show – ‘The Talk.’ ATWT had better ratings that OLTL or AMC and was highly competitive. One Life to Live is the only soap that has increased viewership in the past year and nearly beat B&B last week. Guiding Light went off the air because it was plagued by poor writers and bad plots. Soaps are loyal fans – even in small numbers and are more likely to buy from advertisers than talk shows that are the same as every other network. Who cares about another talk show? In daytime I’ll start watching Food Network or CNN – much more entertaining.

Comment by Adele – September 4, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You are so wrong. ATWT did NOT beat the ratings of AMC and OLTL, at least not on a regular basis. ATWT may have beaten AMC and OLTL a couple of times. But overall AMC and OLTL had better ratings than ATWT. Look at past Nielsen ratings. Secondly, ATWT was not cancelled because Moonves wanted with his wife to get her own show. CBS didn’t even now with what it would be replacing ATWT with when it cancelled it. CBS was still aunctionning for ATWT’s replacement even within the last two months of ATWT’s lifespan.

Comment by Anonymous – December 21, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Prior to working at ABC, Brian Frons worked as the head of daytime programming at NBC. He made it his mission, to shred all of their soaps. When he moved to ABC, only Days of Our Lives remained. It’s a wonder that show survived. Between the steady decline in ratings, production values and horrible writing (Frons left during a story about a duplicate city, located on an Island, inhabited by the characters who were believed to be dead)it was amazing that the show was able to rally. Like a phoenix, it literally rose from the ashes. With Katie Couric being promised it’s time slot, Frons has very likely doomed ABC’s remaining soap – General Hospital.

Comment by John – September 4, 2011 11:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Photos of people getting along and holding hands is good publicity. That doesn’t prevent people from making mistakes. ABC made a mistake on how they handled ending AMC & OLTL airing on its network. They did not handle it in a respectful manner and they know it. People being smart does not keep them from making mistakes either. EVERYONE makes mistakes … the smart thing happens when they own up to that mistake and make it right. NIELSON ratings aren’t what they use to be … people give their opinions via internet immediately now – they don’t use the little machines hooked up to tv’s. I can’t imagine why anyone would still be using the NIELSON’s for any reason. Last comment on this is just because one network does something doesn’t make it the right thing to do … if the person in front of you jumped off the cliff would you blindly follow? ABC could have done itself a world of good had it polled the viewing public before making this decision … and I didn’t see that poll anywhere. Only time will tell who was right. If Bravo or OWN picks up these two soaps and their ratings jump?…

Comment by Pat E – September 5, 2011 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Work for ABC do you? I see a little Frons brainwashing in this post!

Comment by MJ APPLE – September 23, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Apparently you and Mr Frons believe in the BLESSED BUCK factor in all things relating to television. In the interest in money money and more money they remove good television with poor television and pablem derived from other networks. Who amongst us has not seen the same crap as THE CHEW (how original a title)on any food network boradcast. Daytime television will never be the same due to the lact of brains from people like FFRONS

Comment by alaric – September 27, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • JoeBlo–

You’re an idiot!!!

Comment by Vivian – September 28, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Could you please check your grammar before u post a stupid comment

Comment by bobbie – October 1, 2011 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have ben a faithfull viewer since I was 12-years-old, I am now 45.
      I can’t believe they are replacing a show that has a following that is huge with yet another talk show that will gone in 6-months. I totally agree with Susan Lucci.They are putting so many people out of work, did they think about those people? To make an entire cast relocate then lay them off is so thoughtless and stupid. I among all my friends will NOT be watching The Chew,by the way what a stupid name !!!!

Comment by Lori Collier – September 4, 2011 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I AM HORRIFIED THE TAKING OF ALL MY CHILDREN OFF ABC. I WILL NEVER WATCH THE CHEW. I WILL MINIMIZE MY WATCHING OF ANY PROGRAM ON ABC. I THINK THEY HAVE A COUPLE SHOWS I LIKE BUT NOT MANY. HOW DO I FIND ALL MY CHILDREN ON NET? IT WAS SAID IT MAY BE PICKED UP ON TV. ANYONE THAT KNOWS PLEASE EMAIL @ BECCA1619@AOL.COM

Comment by BECKY – September 5, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me and my friends, neighbors everyone we talk to on line facebook are going to boycott the chew , their is enough food shows reality shows so tired of it we want the drama and life of amc

Comment by pam – September 10, 2011 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Susan Lucci – AMC won’t be the same without the “Queen” of soaps and once AMC goes off air, I will quit tapping ABC, with exception for General Hospital and OLTL (until it goes off air). Whoever thought anyone has time to go to work and come home and watch their soaps online is nuts! That’s why tapping is so convenient and fun. Brian Frons has run AMC right into the dirt, and for what. Nobody wants another cooking show!!! I hope that someone will pick up AMC on a cable network soon before it is too late. These are fantastic actors, and they deserve a job!! OWN has horrible shows now, so why doesn’t OWN do some shifting around? To AMC and all of the wonderful actors and behind the scene people tha make it happen, we love you and wish you the very best – but really wish we will be seeing you back on the screen again very soon.

Comment by Holly Hamilton – September 22, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve erased the 12:00 to 1:00 on my DVR. I won’t watch Chew or anything else ABC has to offer. I watch very little TV as it is but AMC I have watched since it’s first show. As far as Frons goes… he’s got the be the biggest idiot walking the planet right now! Does he really believe that he can take a cast with the dynamics of AMC off the air and then throw us slop to replace it? If I wanted to watch a cooking show there are already tons of channels out there that I can see one on. Didn’t anyone tell ABC this?

I think not only will the AMC slot suffer to the point it will be replaced again and again but I think ABC in general will suffer greatly. ABC has no idea what a ‘die hard’ fan can do but I think they will find out next week and many weeks to come. I see nothing else in ABC’s line up that excites me so there will be no reason to turn on that channel again.

And as for Frons, I wouldn’t put him in charge of kiddy cartoons! I wish I could be a bug on the wall the day ABC realizes what Frons has cost them! I would say a firing squad would be in order. If they would air that I’m sure ALL of AMC fans would tune in. That’s about the only what ABC will get us back.

Comment by MJ Apple – September 23, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dito on Syd’s comment.

Comment by Renee – September 26, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hi, just a passing thought! Why did they create the Soap Channel? I would thought the would o should have moved the Soap there instead of canceling them. Not everyone likes cooking shows, reality shows. Let’s have shows for everyone. Now do not watch ABC channel in the afternoon’s anymore,except when Gener
      al Hospital is on

Comment by Donna Taylor – August 3, 2012 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amen, sistah!

Comment by Callie – September 3, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are lots of problems with how this specific show has been handled (it’s been floundering around for several years), but the ratings for every soap are a fraction of what they were 20 years ago. Add to that the large cost of producing them, and it’s no wonder they’re dropping like flies. Perhaps if AMC had been coherently written and promoted over the last decade, it might be in a stronger position for a few more years, but the simple fact is, the audience for these shows is disappearing. We aren’t talking about people who’ve watched soaps for their entire adult life growing bored and changing the channel to court shows or paternity testing, we’re talking about people dying and getting full-time jobs. I feel bad for AMC and OLTL fans (and GL and ATWT fans before them), but truth be told, there aren’t that many of them left.

Comment by Tego Livi – September 4, 2011 01:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • the viewing model for ALL tv has changed. But it doesn’t mean that people aren’t watching. They are watching differently and yes, the proliferation of channels means that there will NEVER AGAIN be the kinds of ratings for ANY show that there were back 20 and 30 years ago. Anyone who talks about comparing the ratings to the 80s as a valid reason for why soaps are failing is rather obtuse.

Comment by jj – September 6, 2011 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure that what destroyed the show was that it was absolutely terrible and not enough people cared anymore.

Comment by Jeff – September 3, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Mostly because they pushed the creator of the show out and hired someone cheaper!

Comment by Nancy – September 3, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh yeah, that MUST be it.

Comment by Jeff – September 3, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Shouldn’t comment on something that you obviously know nothing about.

Comment by Mark – September 3, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • @Jeff, that is it. They got rid of Agnes Nixon and hired a cheap, hack writer. Even the most loyal viewers are going to tune out when their beloved show suddenly becomes a pile of cr@p.

Comment by maggie – September 4, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh please….AMC has not seen a year-to-year increase in the ratings since the 80s. This show, like the genre, has been on a slide for decades now and no one can acknowledge that. Ms Lucci is trying to remain relevant when she is no longer. If she was such a catch wouldnt Y&R or Days have jumped on her by now?! Talk about he biting the hand that fed her for a quarter of a century. She had it good and now is looking at the prospect of auditioning r even worse not being hired. Show some class lady!!! And count your millions from the checks Mr Frons has been writing you over the years.

Comment by Jake – September 3, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Because she made money she can’t have an opinion? Her contract with AMC ended when the show wrapped so she can say what she wants. He’s not her boss anymore and for years she sat back and watched him destroy her workplace and never said anything. She doesn’t need another soap job anyway- she has money, her husband has money- she can retire.

Comment by JAmandafan – September 3, 2011 11:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Haha, they haven’t jumped on Susan because they CAN’T AFFORD HER. She makes 2 million dollars a year just from ABC, the other soaps can’t give her a fraction of that unfortunately and any offer they can give her would be insulting.

Also Susan Lucci will never have to audition for anything in her life, I bet the last time she actually did have to audition was for the part of Erica Kane.

Comment by Dorothy – September 4, 2011 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jeff.. I’m fairly certain you aren’t a soap watcher based on your response. Maybe I’m wrong. The show WAS terrible toward the end – which is exactly what Frons was hoping for when he pulled monies from the production, moved the soap away from it’s home base and replaced the writer with someone who had no love or investment in the show.

Frons doesn’t love soap operas. He will see all of ABC soaps replaced and will be a hero to the higher ups. And it will all be in the name of greed and ignorance and arrogance. Lucci is SPOT ON.

Comment by dane – September 3, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @dane, you are correct. Frons did everything he could to drive away AMC viewers, including removing Agnes Nixon and replacing her with a bad head writer. Once Frons ruined the show, he pointed out how poorly the show was doing, and cancelled the show. Now he’s replacing it with a generic life-style program that can be found all over cable. Why should we tune into ABC, when it won’t be offering anything we can’t already find elsewhere?

Comment by maggie – September 4, 2011 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC fears Lucci.

Comment by LOL – September 3, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Washed up has-been soap “actress” says what?

Comment by abc123 – September 3, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re a douche!

Comment by jrs – September 3, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How many people can say they have been on the same show for that many years? Susan Lucci made that show wonderful and it will be missed and so will she. When they changed the look of the show or should I say the lighting is when I had to quit watching…everything had a shadow…same with OLTL..it was too dark.

Comment by kimmieanne – September 4, 2011 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • abc123 Moron says what?
      Go back to your lil hole, and STFU! I admire Ms. Lucci for putting her two cents in. Daytime dramas may not be what they once were, but they are still a staple in many viewers lives. I am sad for all the cast, crew and hardworking individuals who spent their lives trying to bring some happiness to viewers. Brian Frons is an egotistical twit who should have been replaced years ago. I will never watch the crap he has brought up to replace AMC and OLTL. They look like garbage, just like Frons is. And Ms. Lucci, the woman is gold and will never need to work again if she doesn’t want to. Go LaLucci!

Comment by Dargamogirl – September 4, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get it LaLucci!

Comment by Jonathan – September 3, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GO LUCCI!!

Comment by mes – September 3, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for her, letting it out. So many people in the business stay quiet for fear of retribution/not working again. It was so obvious that the show went downhill under Pratt. Thank you for acknowledging it, Susan. You will have the respect of the fans. ABC sucks bigtime.

Comment by lipsticksocialism – September 3, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no doubt that the decision to axe AMC was strictly due to money. Even Oprah Winfrey wasn’t willing to save the show. Unfortunately, ABC did nothing to minimize the situation by axing all their daytime soaps and alienating generations of fans. The network already knows The Chew is not going to get the ratings -but they are willing to live with it because it is cheaper. I really really hate that reality/life/talk/game shows seem to be taking over all television and scripted television is going away. No wonder the networks are losing viewers to cable.

Comment by Larry – September 3, 2011 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oprah will never be able to produce/air a scripted show, her OWN network has reportedly lost so much money. She just put on a show saying the soaps would never make money so she would’nt have to say “I can’t afford it, I’m broke.”

Comment by Evans – September 3, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oprah has too many problems with her network as it is. She can’t “save” any soap when she needs to save her network first. If her network had been a longterm success, then maybe she would be able to save the soaps.

Comment by maggie – September 4, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe AMC could have saved Oprah’s network from dying a slow death!

Comment by Tammy – October 23, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The bottom line is, soaps are dying. Networks have been phasing out soaps for years now and the low-rated ones go first. AMC/OLTL were the lowest rated soaps so ABC cancelled them. GH will be next. Then Days, then B&B/Y&R. Soap fans, enjoy the next 5 years. There’s no need to place blame, fewer people watch daytime TV.

Comment by Captain – September 3, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But OLTL isn’t the lowest rated soap, it’s among the HIGHEST rated soaps… so there’s a flaw in your logic. Soaps aren’t dying.

Comment by Dan – September 3, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually OLTL has been number one or two in the rating for the 18-40 age group that the advertisers want. It runs on the smallest budget and is the most profitable. It has also been cited as one of the best soaps on air. If Fronz wanted them to be more profitable, he should have incorporated product placement. Daytime viewers are also more likely to watch primetime shows on the same network, so ending the soaps means those viewers may no longer tune in at night.

Comment by Vanessa – September 3, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks, Vanessa & Dan for giving the facts! Such a travesty. I will miss OLTL so much!

Comment by Cy – September 3, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • With stinktastic viewership of under 750,000 viewers in the 18-49 age range. That is pathetic.

Comment by Cara – September 3, 2011 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you Captain. I can’t believe Lucci is pushing for soaps that have been on a hundred years to continue. Things change, the world is moving on. Move on with it!

Comment by Emily – September 3, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So then what Emily? Are we supposed to be inundated with crap reality shows like “The Chew”? PaLeeze! Reality shows have become the deathknoll of many types of TV. If you like them so much, don’t forget to set your DVR for LockUp, Jersey Shore and Keeping up with the Kunts.

Comment by Dargamogirl – September 4, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OLTL started its rise in the ratings before it was canceled and has continued to climb higher and higher ever since. It’s ABC highest rated soaps, in ratings, and demos. The ABC execs should all be feeling like stupid idiotic imbeciles. Especially Frons, he’s is arrogant and ignorant like Lucci says. I say GO HER.

AMC was really pushed down the drain, it had a higher hill to climb, so unforunately it hasn’t had a higher climb but even it has gotten higher ratings lately.

Soaps aren’t dead.

When the Chew goes into its time slot, we’ll see what will happen. All the commercials for it during the Soaps are doing are probably PISSING off the soap fans, I know they are for me.

I might’ve checked the Chew out if ABC Daytime hadn’t shown a complete lack of respect for Daytime Serials and the fans of them. But now I’m not, I’ll just continue to be a fan of Michael Simon, Mario Batali and Carla Hall elsewhere.

Comment by raelee514 – September 3, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • <> Should Be On The FOOD NETWORK, Where it belongs, maybe just maybe they will give One life to live a reprive,

Comment by Nan – September 3, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • the Chew should be on the food network !!!!!!!

Comment by TOM – September 3, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Univision is having such tremendous success with theirs because?

Comment by Eric Kane – September 3, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People use DVRs to watch soaps, watch online, or watch on SoapNet. It isn’t that less people watch soaps, but that they watch them in different ways.

Comment by maggie – September 4, 2011 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Susan has the right to say what she wants to. I’m pretty sure she knows more about the shows workings than we do. Will miss both my abc soaps and will boycott abc as much as possible.

Comment by Debby – September 3, 2011 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brian Frons is the devil. Plain and simple. He has singlehandedly destroyed the soap genre. Just look at his track record.

Comment by M – September 3, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • APPLAUSE!!! You are so right. Under Frons, all the soaps have been absolutely ruined and pounded into the sewer, including General Hospital. The ratings when he came in compared to the ratings now, the stories being told, the actors, the writing… He’s had his fingers all over the soaps and it seemed pretty clear right from the beginning that he wanted the soaps to fail so he could replace them with cheap talk and reality shows. He finally got what he wanted. Why he had a job at ABC I will never know.

Comment by jules – September 3, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Catherine Hickland (formerly of One Life to Live) said the same things about Frons when the cancelation news first came out. Since she was fired a while ago, she was free to talk before Susan Lucci. But they said the same things, and it was what soap fans had known for years. We saw Frons poisoning our soaps and disrespecting the audience for years and years. The handwriting was on the wall.

No more ABC for me! I was never likely to watch something called The Chew, anyway. (What a terrible name.) Or Katie Couric or whatever else they’ve got up their trashy sleeve to replace OLTL. You can pound your sorries in a sack, ABC!

Comment by mimi – September 3, 2011 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s so refreshing to heard the truth. Susan Lucci is a class act. I will miss her as Erica, but with her talent, I’m sure we’ll see more of her. God Speed to all my children at AMC!

Comment by Augustmom3 – September 3, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speak it, sista!

Comment by Nichole – September 3, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The day time drama has been a great launching point for many actors so it would be a horrible shame for this format to end.

But in the end the shows need to make money, I only wish that the networks could find a way to maintain the shows by making the watching of this product more flexible.

Comment by Joseph – September 3, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you Susan… for all the years of AMC I have been a fan for the entire run and was deeply saddened by the news.. I agree with you that Pratt has ruined the soap genre and will not be watching another boring Cooking/talk show.. these are so lame..and belong on the food network.. so the only thing I will be watching on ABC is Good Morning America, the local news, and Dancing with the Stars… otherwise ABC has horrible shows.

Comment by Diane – September 3, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Susan as always you Rick and thanks fir giving it to him ! It is about time someone stands up to this man. Does ABC realize they are going to lose viewers as soon as the chew comes on!

Comment by Moonie – September 3, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better to be a “has-been” actress than a “never-was” poster on the Internet!

Comment by TW – September 3, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness someone has finally taken Brian Frons and ABC to task for the horrible job they’ve done. There’s a reason why Susan Lucci is the queen of daytime and she has proven once again what a class act she is.

Comment by ILoveLucci – September 3, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yay for Susan to have the guts to tell it like it is.

I watched All My Children and Guiding Light for years and both are gone because of the network’s greed. Alright, maybe the soaps aren’t as popular as years past. But the actors, Susan Lucci included, have all taken pay cuts because of the lower ratings and ad dollars. The soaps are probably still making money, just not enough for a self serving executive like Frons to make brownie points.

I hope The Chew goes the way of what is happening at The Talk right now. Low ratings and turmoil.

Comment by clare – September 3, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! Congratulations Susan! I hope ABC can CHEW it up and spit it out. Other than General Hospital I won’t be viewing ABC

Comment by Kim – September 5, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for you, Susan!!!! The MILLIONS of soap fans agree with you. ABC Daytime is apparently run by ignorant fools. We hope to see you on Prospect Park next year! Thanks for telling it like it is!!!

Comment by sadie soaper – September 3, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Or perhaps it was that networks are trying to move into the 21st century…soap operas…major LOL. This isn’t 1978 anymore. I think it’s hilarious that such awful, AWFUL television still has fans. The horrible acting, the melodramatic music, the completely unbelievable plots…

Comment by JohnDoe – September 3, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you talking about Jersey Shore? You are on the wrong page

Comment by moneek77 – September 3, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good one! lol

Comment by happyday – September 19, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BULL!

Comment by Eric Kane – September 3, 2011 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “I think it’s hilarious that such awful, AWFUL television still has fans. The horrible acting, the melodramatic music, the completely unbelievable plots”
      That statement covers most of primetime TV.

Comment by maggie – September 4, 2011 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Soaps are still valid in the 21th Century. Most “reality” shows, like Jersey Shore, The Bachelor, The Apprentice, etc. are Soaps. They have continuing stories, which are indeed scripted, with villiana, heroes, and many have sex scenes and romance as well. Also, Spanish language soaps are more popular than ever.

Comment by Lois – September 4, 2011 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course ABC deflects the blame and subtly insults Lucci for SPEAKING THE TRUTH! This does not tarnish her career – if anything it makes her more awesome. Soap fans have been waiting for her to tell it like it is for years. Bravo to Susan for finally letting the viel drop and getting raw. How many people have to call Frons out before this man is finally held accountable for destroying ABC daytime? And if somebody hates soaps or Lucci – why read this story and comment? Go find a Real Housewives of the Jersey Slums or whatever message board and be nasty there.

Comment by Topher – September 3, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • About time La Lucci spoke up about Brian Frons. But the truth is, everything ‘old’ gets replaced with a ‘younger and cheaper’ model.

Comment by Tim – September 3, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now Lucci speaks out publicly. Too little, too late, Susan. FAIL.

Comment by AndyLuvr – September 3, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her more than ever now. That is SO true.

Comment by raelee514 – September 3, 2011 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe Susan Lucci. ABC has made a huge huge mistake. The Chew looks stupid and want be around long. Some heads need to roll at ABC and soon! Shame on ABC for ignoring their viewers and their wants! ABC Sucks!

Comment by Tripp – September 3, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Susan Lucci. If it weren’t for Modern Family, I wouldn’t know that ABC existed, and I watch the show on Hulu or download it from iTunes anyway, so ABC is totally immaterial to my life. I’m kind of excited about AMC’s move to its new home, and am looking forward to Erica Kane becoming the dowager empress of the soap world. Long may she reign.

Comment by Cantare – September 3, 2011 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is kind of obvious that all the Networks are now filled with such idiots in charge of programing who just want to give the public the cheapest possible programs. These programers feel the public will watch anything they just throw up on the TV. Remember the great NBC solution to Primetime – get rid of 10 PM shows and have Leno five days a week in Primetime. We saw what a great success that was for the once proud Peacock Network.

“ABC rep told the Post, “We have all the respect in the world for Susan, and are sorry she felt the need to write this epilogue to an otherwise incredible career.” ”

Wow, what bull. Susan Lucci spent most of her life on this show. She has become that crazy fun relative that is always in trouble, in love, or dealing with the machinations of a strange and cruel world. She has every right to feel upset that an ABC executive decided her show needed to die to make more profits for ABC.

ABC – take a hard look at what these executives are doing. The viewers you once boasted of are going to the web. In five years you are going to be begging for the very fans your programers are throwing away now.

Comment by JHarnes – September 3, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMC is NOT CANCELLED only from ABC…Prospect Park is putting millions of dollars into them to bring them to the modern age of viewing online as well as OLTL. Soapfans are needed to support PP so AMC continues. Yes Frons was a horrible boss and I’m glad Susan made it public.

Comment by moneek77 – September 3, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Frons has been destroying daytime television ever since he first started. Writers and popular actors/characters were fired so Frons could have his way. It didn’t matter how much fans cursed him and his idiotic decisions, b/c he held the power and we didn’t.

Comment by lacey – September 3, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you to Susan for being a class act her entire career. While many actors in her shoes become divas, Susan was always kind & caring to cast, crew & even newcomers. She is well respected industry wide & her comments deserve the full weight of the respect she commands. Other than the three ABC soaps, I don’t watch ABC at all. They have poor programming during primetime, so it comes as no surprise that they are now watering down daytime programming . I look forward to ABC’s demise. Don’t think it can’t happen.

Comment by Lisa L – September 3, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate Brian Frons but Lucci bashing him is a
    little odd considering she was for the longest
    time was one of the highest paid people in Day
    time. She also was allowed to do special projects
    while other’s were not. Susan Lucci is wealthy
    because of her job on AMC. Let someone who really
    has a reason to complain do it!!

Comment by Rubyredjewel – September 3, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Susan maybe it was you? Better yet it was the soapperas in general. The decisions are always about how many viewers watch the show. How many other soap operas are closing besides all of them. They have out lived their viewership, it is pretty obvious as the ratings reflect it.

Comment by Brad – September 3, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WAKE UP hALF OF PRIME TIME tV ARE SOAPS. hELLO – GREY’S ANATOMY, PRIVATE PRACTICE, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES THE GOOD WIFE, 24, ETC ETC.
      Tons of them all continuing drama just like daytime soaps. Everyone I know DVR’s soaps and I am 63 but my daughter & her friends also DVR them. The Chew belongs on food network. Noone will watch it I guarantee. We have too many talk shows now.
      Big BIG MISTAKE ABC!!!

Comment by Kim – September 5, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never watched soap operas, but heard much about Ms Lucci all these years. Wished can see her soon on another genre, maybe drama.

Comment by tahina – September 3, 2011 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for La Lucci to say what she is feeling. They have been trying to destroy the genre for years.

The real problem with the genre is that it didn’t adapt to the times. Reality shows like “The Real Housewives” are basically soap operas. Primetime dramas are basically soaps with only 22-25 episodes where a soap have over two hundred new episodes over a year. Soaps should turn into 13 week cycles where they focus on a group of characters during that 13 weeks.

I know that when the time comes for Prospect Park to show both AMC and OLTL I am going to watch.

Comment by Jenny – September 3, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sure, in the short run replacing AMC with stupid food shows will be cheaper, but, in the long run when ratings drop even further and what they’ll be able to charge the advertisers for a spot on these “new” shows plummet it, not to mention the anger they have instilled in millions of loyal viewers we’ll see how much “cheaper” it was in the end.

Take a hike ABC you suck!!!

Comment by Abandon ABC – September 3, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brian Frons sounds like the folks running the place I work for: its all about the process anymore, not the product. As long as he looks good to the shareholders, its all good.

This is a problem in this country, not just in television. You see it in business, and in government as well.

Comment by Elizabeth – September 3, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on Ms. Lucci. Low ratings killed the show, not ABC Execs. And way to go biting the hand that has fed you and your family for decades.

Comment by TVDIVA – September 3, 2011 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Lucci, I think it was well said. I hope everyone joins me in boycoting every non-soap program ABC this fall. I hope that every new show daytime and primetime fail. I think we need to unite and let ABC know that we will not take this laying down. I just wish Lucci had said this a little sooner. Go Lucci.

Comment by Go Lucci – September 3, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Face facts shorty SOAPS have been dying for years

Comment by vince – September 3, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank Susan Lucci, I also read an interview Erika Slezak, and she said Frons thinks people want to watch Information and not Entertainment. I’m thinking what his he smoking. We are not robots. when I tune in at 1:00, I want to fiction so I can forget for a few hours in the real world to see some good storytelling. I also blame whoever decided to hire Frons in the first place and they clearly don’t have the balls to fire his ass.

Comment by Debra P – September 3, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kudos, Ms. Lucci, for telling the truth! Brian Frons is one of the older execs who has no earthly idea what the changes in modern media mean to the future of television. During his tenure all 3 of the Emmy-award winning ABC soaps have tanked to the point of cancellation. He doesn’t know how to manage the shows and hired EP’s to run the shows into the ground. I’ve hardly ever seen such poor management, so his choices must be deliberate.

I am so impressed that Lucci is speaking out on this issue. It’s not too late to save GH and AMC/OLTL could be premier content as web series – but only if the management at Disney/ABC is ready to take the next step; the leap into the future of on-line media.

Comment by Dewsterling – September 3, 2011 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY! I’ve been waiting for someone to call Brian Frons out!

Comment by Amanda – September 3, 2011 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s sad that soaps are getting cancelled. I have grown up on soaps. I was a Bo and Hope fan when I was a little girl. I watched all the ABC and NBC soaps when I was in High School. General Hospital is my favorite. It is next on the chopping block. I hate talk and reality shows. This next generation has no depth and no taste. I hate this guy in charge of ABC. Wish he would get fired before he kills General Hospital. But it looks like soaps are doomed. Because soaps just are not getting the ratings and networks are interested in money and ratings:-(

Comment by Kara Keeter – September 3, 2011 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is sad that the soap opera genre is fading and reality shows are to blame for this. More reality shows are being pitched in Hollywood than any other genre. Real actors who have studied their craft and have been pounding the pavement are not getting work. Most people would rather watch that trash and it sad. I remember as a child that people would say that “big brother” will be watching over us in the future and it’s true. People want to watch some housewives brag about their money, cars and outrageous parties. Or, they want to see who is going to hook up with one of the guys from Jersey Shore. People want to share their trash with the world. They are only into themselves and “we” encourage that by watching them. Reality shows have influenced kids and adults alike to try foolish things just to get their 15 minutes of fame. Reality shows are cheaper to make and all the writers have to do is suggest something stupid or lame and the people will do it! Pretty soon there may not be any great shows on tv, the networks want to feed us this trash and it will destroy all other genres out there, just like they did with soap operas. Just look at MTV, no longer is it “music television”, it’s just a waste of space on my cable network! Don’t let reality tv ruin everything out there…stop watching it! And, good for Susan standing up for the show. She can say what she wants to and she did!

Comment by Mooniw – September 3, 2011 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch soaps but my wife has been a fan of the ABC line of soaps for almost thirty years, I just wanted to read about how Lucci ripped the ABC execs.

But…

This isn’t really in defense of ABC, but I remember reading two years ago that Disney (who owns ABC and SoapNet – where my wife has been able to watch her shows since our cable provider first added this channel to our line-up) was going to change the format of their SoapNet Network in 2012.

I don’t remember what the new format is going to be (the reason for the change of format had something to due with bandwidth for cable providers, and it is easier to get cable providers to carry an existing channel with a format change than add an additional channel to their existing line-up of channels).

Since Disney will no longer be able to collect advertising for their ‘soaps’ when they are broadcast on ABC, and again when they are repeated later the same day on SoapNet (and yet again on the weekend repeats), those shows are no longer profitable to produce.

Look at prime time television. The ever increasing number of non-reality ‘Reality Shows’ like Survivor, Amazing Race, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance, The Factor, and whatever else I’m leaving out. And those are just the major broadcast networks! They’re cheaper to produce, these shows amazingly draw a solid Neilsen ratings share, and as TV audience rating continue to decrease generally across the board due to a wide variety of reasons (and some people’s refusal to watch these types of Reality shows are probably part of that), lower ratings means lower advertising revenue. Which means more reality shows – its a vicious cycle.

Unfortunately, that means Ms. Lucci and the rest of her cast, crew and staff are all receiving pink slips, and joining a rather large portion of the U.S. population in the unemployment line.

All My Children, One Life to Live, and General Hospital all had very long and successful runs. Everyone associated with those shows should be very proud of that.

Good luck to all on their quests for their next project or role.

Comment by RmblnJoe – September 3, 2011 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • they get a share from people who aren’treally watching tv or the advertising. it’s people like my mom who are doing other things (housework, job work,etc…) and using the tv as background noise. it’s amazing how many times i will come into a room and ask her what she’s watching and she won’t even know the name of the show! but it’ll be something that doesn’t require a lot of paying attention to in order to know what’s going on- whether that will be a reality show or a CBS procedural. I have to wonder how many people are the same as her? And how accurate is the ratings system? The people that have the time and energy to be ratings homes, are they truly representative of the viewing public at large?

Comment by grrr – September 6, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do think the show hasn’t been the greatest lately. I have even said put a fork in it and call it a day,but if it was left on and given half a chance maybe it could get better.Brian Frons should be ashamed of him self thinking only of the almighty dollar.

Bernadette

Comment by Bernadette – September 4, 2011 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Erika Slezak also spoke out: ” I think that Brian Frons, the head of ABC Daytime, doesn’t believe in the genre. He never believed they could last. My biggest objection is ABC saying people don’t want entertainment anymore; they want information. That’s ridiculous. People always want entertainment.”

The only reason AMC was cancelled, was One Life to Live. Frons hates the show, and has never supported it. But since OLTL came in under budget, when AMC was often over, and had the better ratings, to cancel OLTL he had to cancel AMC too.

Soaps aren’t dying. Telenovas are crazy popular. The problem is these soaps were run into the ground by Frons’ firends (see: General Hospital).

I really hope the Prospect Park deal works out, and the main characters agree to be part of the show. Since a lot of people aren’t home during the day, online will be great. I just feel bad for the elderly people who have been watching for 45 years.

Comment by Amy – September 4, 2011 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You seriously think that?! You’re delusional.

Comment by Robert – September 4, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem with soaps is they require a HUGE time commitment, that a lot of people just don’t have. I DVR “One Life to Live” and “GH” (“All My Children” always intimidated me and I always was weirded out by Susan Lucci and the Jackson guy. Their features could cut glass). And I tried to DVR them for 2 weeks then watch them in big bulks, but I always feel like fast forwarding them because they take too much time to follow. I work nights and go to school part time, and I’m the prime demographic for soaps 20 years ago… Now what’s the demographic? If you watch one soup that ends up being 44 minutes without commercials that’s 220 minutes for 5 days of shows, 3.67 hours of t.v. I don’t think Lucci is wrong that Frons went after soaps, but I don’t think she’s being realistic in viewership. Does Susan Lucci have enough time to watch soups?

Comment by Kim – September 4, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Another thing I forgot to add was I don’t like all the ads for different colleges like Kaplan or Everett during the shows! If I watch live it’s usually on my day off after working a week straight in a hospital. I don’t want to feel bad that I’m watch daytime t.v. especially when daytime t.v. usually is my midnight (because I work nights….).

Comment by Kim – September 4, 2011 08:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My favorite soup to watch is French Onion soup. I love to watch lobster bisque, too, but it always seems there’s something fishy going on…

Comment by jj – September 6, 2011 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post