TNT Calls HawthoRNe's Time of Death

TNT, which this summer renewed Franklin & Bash but not Men of a Certain Age, has decided the fate of another of its series.

The Closer: True Blood Witch, Fred Willard, Buzz’s Sister on Board for Episode 100

“TNT has decided not to order a fourth season of HawthoRNe,” reads a statement from the cabler. “TNT truly appreciates the tremendous dedication of everyone involved in HawthoRNe. The series gave TNT the opportunity to work with many outstanding people, including Jada Pinkett Smith and the rest of the show’s talented cast, crew, producers and writers. We wish everyone involved with HawthoRNe nothing but the best.”

TNT Schedules Winter Runs for Rizzoli, Southland and Others, Sets Mystery Movie Slate

HawthoRNe, which aired its Season 3 closer on Aug. 16, this summer averaged 3.3 million viewers — placing it behind sister shows such as Memphis Beat (4.3 million), Leverage (4.8 mil) and Franklin & Bash (3.9 mil).

Fence-rider Memphis Beat‘s own odds of renewal are currently “50/50,” reports Deadline.com.

1. Francisco says:

Thank you! This past season was absolutely terrible!

• Cathy says:

I hadn’t watched it very much before, but the whole story arc with cheating on her new husband with Marc Anthony’s character was a turnoff for me.

• Caro says:

I agree! I had stopped watching already. Stopped when they made Jada’s character fall for Marc Anthony’s character. Show killer!!!

• Sally says:

Agreed! I get that it’s a drama, but there IS such a thing as too much of it. The only reason I kept watching this season was cuz I was hoping it would get better but it just kept worse and worse. It’s very rare that I call a show horrible in every way.. but, sadly, that’s exactly what HawthoRNe has turned into

• Sue says:

I completely agree. I stopped watching after the 3rd or 4th episode this season. Horrible.

• Anita K says:

Definetly not surprised. The show was not good at all even though I watched it, no continuity , most of the show’s characters vanished and us the viewers kept asking ourselves what happened to them, the acting was horrible. At one point the show went astray from the main objective : Being a medical drama but it was now more of a romantic drama, just senseless. Anyway Jada and the others did their best!

• CodySouix says:

I agree w/ everyone here. I enjoyed it in the beginning but this season got very dark to me and I didn’t even understand some of what happened and why and how it got there. Very Dark is NOT what I want to watch at the end of a day! Not surprised it was cancelled. Really hated the affair w/ Mark Anthony, none of it made sense! Jada pretty much over acted. However, will miss watching some of the other actors.

• The WB Frog says:

When they made the show about Christina cheating on her new husband (which most viewers enjoyed), and less about the hospital and supporting characters, the show was bound for cancellation. Glad it’s gone. Jada shouldn’t have been in control of this season.

2. Mikaylah says:

Deserved. I watched the first 2 seasons, but as soon as they brought on Marc Anthony I was done.

• Lorie says:

Same here! I can’t stand Marc Anthony, and this season’s storyline was beyond ridiculous. What a shame b/c I thought the first 2 seasons were great. I couldn’t even watch this show for Michael Vartan.

Hawthorne deserved to be canceled.

3. Jeri says:

I loved this show, BUT: this was the worst season ever. Storyline sucked and I just hated watching it. Deserved to be cancelled for putting out such garbage.

• tvgeek says:

I’ve been saying that since the season started. I have a soft spot for Michael Vartan, but the 3rd season sucked on all counts – awful story, bad writing, stupid subplots and overall dreadful acting.
      Changing it into a soap-opera drama from a medical procedural and bringing Marc Anthony as a regular were incredibly stupid decisions. Not to mention how foolish it was to end with a cliffhanger when it was clearly not a good story and people stopped watching it.

4. Will says:

I didn’t watch Season 3. I heard it was terrible. I’m not going to miss it.

5. Bella says:

Yep, that was me, too. I watched the first two seasons, but the third season was awful and I quit watching after the first episode or so. It deserved to be canceled.

6. Julie says:

Thank God!! I would’ve been surprised if it didn’t get cancelled. Like others have said, the story line was terrible and destroyed Jada’s character. They spent two seasons putting Christina and Tom together just to rip them apart for a “dramatic” plot. It didn’t pay off-at all. Now Michael can find a better job that will showcase his talents. And Vanessa Lengies (Kelly) jumped ship to Glee and an actor wouldn’t do this if their other gig was good and it wasn’t. My best wishes to the cast that they find other (better) opportunities elsewhere.

7. Great!!

Now Will can get back to making great movies! Well, once he’s done with Men in Black III…

• Bea K. says:

Ryan Schwartz,
      “Now Will can get back to making great movies!Well, once he’s done with Men in Black III”…

Yep, another show that had promise bites the dust, while more reality and other crap is shown on t.v., and we continue to go down the drain with more nonsense.

8. lacey says:

I’m sorry to see it canceled since I had hope that it could redeem itself after a horrible season. Plus I just love seeing Michael Vartan on my t.v. screen.

9. ChristineTV says:

I cannot think of another show which took the entire premise, and killed it so thoroughly in the third season. There was not one redeeming storyline to be had, and I walked away just feeling sorry for Michael Vartan. I hope he finds a new TV home right away. As for HawthoRNe, good riddance. Truly awful show, which was great in its first two seasons.

• Bea K. says:

Christine TV,
      Yes, the third season was the worst, but the fact that TNT didn’t even give the cast a chance to redeem themselves speaks louder than anything else here.

As for Michael Vartan, how many more “t.v. homes” would you like for him to have? I truly believe that he is one of the most under-rated actors in Hollywood today, and I think that the ‘industry’ could care less about where he ends up. I pray to God that ‘Alias’ is not the only show he’s ever remembered doing any ‘good’ for, because I also enjoyed him in ‘Big Shots’ but we’ve seen what ABC thought about that show as well didn’t we??

10. Jenny says:

This season was atrocious! I only knew what was happening cause my sis still watched. What were they thinking..how could a smart woman like Jada, let the writers ruin the show with the awful storylines this season? Doesn’t make sense to me…

• Sue says:

Isn’t Jada one of the producers? She must have had some say in how things played out.

• Lorie says:

Sue, I wondered the same thing. As producer, surely she did. That’s why I put some of the blame on their horrible 3rd season on her. After 2 good seasons, Hawthorne became unrecognizable to me.

11. judi says:

I agree, I will miss Michael Vartan, but I hated this season so much. I just couldn’t believe where they went with the Christina storyline. They lost me as soon as they fired her for getting attacked. It was all downhill from there.

12. Christy says:

Glad to hear Hawthorn RN is canceled and we won’t see Marc Anthony kissing around on Mrs Will Smith- Jada anymore on a weekly TV series. If the rumors are true about these two Jennifer should sue Jada Pinkett for alienation of affection. Teach little Mrs Smith (and other home wrecking adulterers) some hard “karma” for the injustice she inflicted on the Anthony Family’s children.

• Tonya says:

Are you serious with that bs? It’s ridiculous to blame the mistress for the husband cheating. HE would be the adulterer. Karma? Yeah let’s put all the blame on her…IF it’s even true.

• Caro says:

I AGREE!!! Don’t blame Jada based on RUMORS! Keep it professional and not personal regarding their private life which you know NOTHING about!

13. James Potts says:

Thank god, it got canceled and the whole situation is the other way around. Jada had alot control in season 3 and pushed for that trashy sex scene with Marc Anthony. Her brother Caleeb Pinkett should not be writing any more because the writing was absolutely terrible.

• Babygate says:

Was not aware of the control Jada had or about her brother. Nepotism rocks, doesn’t it? I won’t miss the show. Just watching Jada with Marc Anthony on the promos was bad enough. Once he came on the show it was over for me.

14. Jan says:

First, I couldn’t agree more with this decision to cancel the show. This season was positively awful! I dreaded watching what they were doing to the characters each week. Good riddance!

Second, it’s not fair to believe rumors or think any of this anything to do with Jada and Marc doing anything wrong. I guess I would rather believe Jada and will’s press release than the rampant rumors.

Either way, the show was cancelled due to its terrible destruction of characters, not personal relationships.

15. kimberly Mlejnek says:

WOW !!!!
    Did ANYONE like that mess they called last season…

I too LOVED this show and I love Marc … But
    from the last 10 mins of the first show to the last 1 of the last …
    I HAVE HATED IT

HATE when TIIC – do “it was just a dream”
    But I would have forgiven them if they would have done that with
    the last 10 mins of the last show…

HATED what they did to Jada character – just SUCKED so bad
    Wonder how these heck writers even have a job
    oh wait – they don’t anymore
    way to kill a great show

• Caro says:

My final seconds of watching this show was when Christina and the cop started to make out. I couldn’t believe they were going through with this storyline! I didn’t want to see it so I turned it off immediately and that was the last I’ve watched of the show. I totally hated that marc anthony character pursuing Christina!!!

16. Splum says:

Yessss….out with the trash. TNT is even more watchable now. just wish we could get it in Canada.

17. Alex says:

Snort. Its such a rarity to see news of a acancellation met with such widespread approval!

18. Liana in San Diego says:

Funny how apparently in real life Jada and Marc were supposedly having an affair. Wonder if that’s why it was written into the show? What a turn off in all possible ways! I only watched the show for Vartan, but once Marc Anthony came into the picture, I was out of there. Good riddance that’s it being canceled!!

19. SK says:

Haha, I agree, Alex! I don’t watch the show (can’t even recall hearing about it before this article) but I expected to see the usual “Aw, no! It was still so good!” comments that come from news that a show is getting cancelled. None of those here!

• Bea K. says:

SK,
      “Aw, no! It was still so good”, YES SK, up to Season 3 scenes 1 and 2 the show WAS still good (our opinion only I guess), but after that sadly it did seem to go down hill rather quickly. Keep um coming though, it’s mostly negative comments like yours and others posted here, which help to kill these shows while leaving on others that are filled with nothing but mess, trash and nonsense (with bad writing included). Perhaps we can be just as happy for you when something that you really enjoy watching and put your time into watching is cancelled as well.

20. Mambo Dogface says:

A year too late, IMO. The writing was awful and the acting was hideous(soap opera actors were looking at this and saying, “whoa! tone it down, for God’s sake, will ya?”)

21. Melissa says:

good, she is super annoying. i never watched the show, but now i don’t have to see the ads on TNT all the time!

22. Ellen says:

I’m not surprised. Last season the show became a real downer. It was one hour of depressing characters and dark stories. Jada never smiled, no one ever seemed happy, and I had decided to call it quits. As for F&B, I stopped watching it — Suits on Fox is a much better legal show; F&B is fratboys meet L.A. Law.

• Caro says:

I agree regarding your opinion on F&B and Suits. Suits is really fun to watch but not too much.

But I have to say: Jada never smiled? That’s because of the storylines. They were good but as many have said already, they killed the show by adding the ongoing drama with Marc Anthony’s character. Hated it!!!

23. A Noun says:

Good. I stopped watching in — what was it, season 2 or 3? — when she got her nemesis who was just like her. Ugh. Recycle that storyline much?

24. David says:

This show started off pretty solid (well for a summer show) but there were always so many big changes. They handled the transition from the original hospital to the second one okay but for the third season to remove her from her position and not really have her involved in the hospital to focus on her personal life was a mistake. And it wasn’t really believable that she would cheat on her brand new husband. Too much drama and not enough of the core of what the show was supposed to be about. I think the decision to cancel it was right, but it could have been a long running summer series if they just would have kept to what the core of the show was supposed to be. Cancelling Men of a Certain Age was a much bigger loss!

25. BrianR says:

I stopped watching after 3 episodes so who cares.

26. Tiffany says:

Thank goodness. I watched seasons 1 and 2, but I just couldn’t take any more of this mess. It was sooo good, and got sooo bad so very quickly! Also, this means Michael Vartan’s free now. Somebody cast him, quick!!!

27. Tania says:

Good lord and they keep the god-awful Rizzoli and Isles, Franklin and Bash, Falling Skies and Southland. Once The Closer ends, I’m done with TNT.

28. Larry says:

I agree that this season was a disaster. Most of the interesting supporting characters disappeared this year (Vanessa Bell Calloway, Sara Gilbert) and each week we had to endure a long, boring self-reflecting monologue by Jada which screamed, “I want an Emmy!” I literally fell asleep during the psychiatrist episode it was so boring. I enjoyed it the first two seasons but not this one.

29. Reece says:

I agree with all the comments. The season took a turn for the worse this season. I still can’t beleive that any show would allow their main characters to get married and divorced in the same season. The fans wanted Christina and Tom to be together and now the show ends with them being apart. Well I have one consalation; in my mind I choose to beleive that Detective Nick Ranata was dead and she won’t end up with either of them. The character Tom deserved better. I think this whole season was just a series of bad decisions and story lines. This is a tradegy especially for a talented actor like Jada. Please stick to movies from now on.

30. Reeni says:

Finally where most people are not angry as the choice. IMO TNT made the RIGHT decision, fans of the shows were angry and are threatening to boycott TNT and started sending angry emails and started a petition to get the show back on the air by TNT or by another network. I just think some people are funny with all the critics, bad ratings and the rumors surronding the show why would some other network pick it up that would be like network suicide. Besides Hawthorne was the least watched program on TNT this year behind Men of A Certain Age so that being said I doubt a small group of people threatening to boycott TNT will scare them. Hence this is NOT the first time TNT is canaclled shows. They are use to angry fans emailing them, threatening to boycott them and makeing a petition so again they are NOT scared. Beseides I know some are disapointed and want the show to get picked up by another network but let’s not forget the fact that some of the cast members have already moved on with life weather that meaning going to other shows, movies or just focusing on their personal lives and as far as work,families and friends. The cast is mainly between the age group of 30-40 so I am SURE these people have better things than to star in a horrible t.v. show. What is sad to me is that the show was actaully GREAT to me in it’s TWO FIRST season but like many others said this season 3 turned into a soap opera and many viewers as well as myself stopped watching after episode 6 with the “affair” I think people are sick of seeing infedilty on TV shows hence all the soap opera’s being cancelled nowadays. People stopped watching the show so ratings went down and which caused the show to get cancelled I am glad I did my part and stopped watching. A lot of people are angry at TNT and want to blame them but it’s not their fault. They have other great shows producing GREAT ratings that are already renewed such as Levarage, Franklin and Bash, Rizolli and Isles, Memphis Beats and NEW shows such as Dallas, Perception and Major Crimes (spin off of The Closer)
    Again TNT made this RIGHT choice IMO

Sorry for the long pst guys

• Reeni says:

BTW Sorry for all the typo’s

• Bea K. says:

Reeni,
      Thanks so much for your kind and thoughtful words, now when I think of actors/actresses being out of work, I can look back on the comments posted here. Do you really believe that the majority of the actors/actresses on the show wanted this to happen???

We can say all the negative things we choose, until or unless we’re in someone else’s shoes (not all of those folks make the kind of money that Jada and Will might be pulling in), then I don’t think it’s so pretty any more. Jobs in America, Acting included, are becoming more and more scarce, and when you have a ‘family’ it’s much worse.

I feel sorry all the way around here, especially for those who did the best that they could with what they had via scripts. Television is becoming saturated with more and more crap and mess each and everyday, and that’s the one thing that truly saddens me about Season 3 of this show. I don’t know why Jada and the Writers had to add that nonsense about an ‘affair’, rather than just keeping the show on track by doing a ‘medical drama’.

But, as I’ve been told, “it’s all about the ratings” (and MOSTLY MONEY TOO in my opinion), so what will be will be I guess. Until then, I’ll watch ‘Memphis Beats’ because when that shows finished on TNT, so am I.

• Reeni says:

Bea K,
        I already think most of the cast moved on and STILL have jobs Anne Ramasay (Dr. Marshall) plays a character on ABC Family’s Secret Life on An American Teenager, Vanessa Lengies (Kelly Epson) is going to play a character on GLEE, Mark Anthony (Det. Nick Renata ) is a singer who has a music career before the show and will continue. Micheal Vartan (Dr. Tom Wakefield) just stared in a film Colombiana with Zoe Saldana which came in second in the box office. Suleka Matthew (Bobbie Jackson) I read an atricle that she will be starring in a TNT movie coming this fall. So again I don’t think they are jobless they most likely have already moved on and I am sure the people who were responsible for the backstage stuff while find another show to work for. Shows get cancelled all the time so things like this happened before.

31. tv watcher says:

Thank goodness! This had been one of my summer favorites until this this year. How could anything be so bad! Such a disappointment!

32. Karen says:

Don’t care for Rissoli & Isles, but love Memphis Beat! Please keep the Beat!!

Jada had control, she chose the affair, much too soon after the wedding and with a man way too wrong. I don’t know about the rest of you, but that love scene was way to real to be acting. Are either one of them that good?

I feel sorry for the other good actors on this show. The girl who played her daughter, “can’t think of her name” was great, as was the nurse who took Christinas place. Hope they get something soon.

33. Marie says:

What a waste of a show, of a premise, of a set up. I watched the first two seasons and the first episode of this third season and that was it for me. The show inexplicably decided that there wasn’t enough drama in having a widow with a grown child marry a second time, to the best friend of her husband, get pregnant and have to balance a new marriage, an infant and a stressful position at a hospital. All that should have been plenty of material for the season. But no!

Let’s have the woman get attacked on her wedding day, require surgery, lose the baby, ridiculously blame her new husband, get fired as a result of her injuries (whatever happened to medical leave?), start up an affair with the skeevy cop investigating her assult – that’s all so much more appealing. What were all the creative types thinking?

34. melissa says:

well, i have to admit, i came on here feeling sad that there will be no more Hawthorne and I loved Jada’s character, and I love Michael V, omg, I loved season 1 & 2, was not happy with so much crazy drama in last season, I didn’t like the choice for the Marc Anthony affair either but I did ironically admire his deep love for Christina……..well, i wish the show had made other choices and pulled in a bigger long lasting audience. It appears that the majority were hooked with season 1 & 2 and somehow things just went down hill from there. Well, I still consider myself a “fan” for what it’s worth and if it does come back on tnt or another willing channel, count me in to support!I love many of the other characters too but I will miss Christina and Tom the most!

• I agree…was a loyal fan, SO happy when Christina&Tom finally got together, then completely turned off by Marc Antony’s disregard for their marriage. Certainly gives us insight about his marriage to JLo. Killing the person who assaulted her…then that awful scene of Christina committing adultery with someone so distasteful…I was hoping that the writers, producers and Jada would come to their senses and somehow redeem themselves by dumping this story line and getting back to the original concept of a hospital, not soap, drama. Now we get JR, Bobby recycling more dysfunction, hateful behavior by bringing Dallas out of mothballs…thanks TNT for pandering to the worst in viewers

35. Leish says:

The first 2 seasons were all about patients, care/concern, & beautiful story lines, but clearly J P-S wants her real life politics to enter into her work as well- sex, broken families, teenagers keeping babies & going on wellfare instead of using adoption for parents who really deserve kids, & firing key actors who make the show worthwhile. I hope J. Fat-ass Lopez & Marc Anthoney disappear for ever & Michael Vartran has no skills that I can see. Glad the show is cancelled, but I hope the restcof the cast is seen again soon.

36. BatGuy says:

I absolutely loved Hawthorne, it was an amazing show. I’m not sure what you guys were watching.

37. patty sarber says:

i.m agreed with everyone about the first two was good but the third season was really. I’m just wish that they didn’t leave a cliffhanger.i,m will miss hawtrone like the first two season.lol

38. Rissa says:

Hawthorne was a good show. The only one on your network that was any good. The ones left are dumb and boring. Wont watch TNT again .

39. Vio says:

I really like the show, but the Mark Anthony part i hate it. I was hoping for Tom and Kristina to end up happily ever aftet. I was happy that Nick died at the end. I would love to see the next season. With them both remarry and with childrens.

40. asiamarri says:

i actually loved all 3 seasons ….although i was disappointed that they had jada cheat on her husband….i wish they would come back on and redeem themselves and show the critics that it is a good show…..this is one of my favorite shows and im very disappointed it was cancelled …..i hope they can do at least one more season…..i dont care what anyone says jada and whole hawthorne cast u guy did an amazing job …..just die marc off and the show will be great …….

41. Bookie says:

I believe this show was pretty good I mean not as good as Pretty Little Liars but it deserve some type of an applause I love Marc Anthony he made the show so interesting! But I did have moments when I would say this is boring but that’s goes for every show I watched also. I really want to see another season I have so many questions that need to be answered like who shot Marc Anthony but really the cast did a tremendous job and I’ve seen shows worse than this plus the whole cheating made the show more interesting for me and the romance scenes where great I just wish she told Marc Anthony she loved him but she couldn’t because she couldn’t even love herself