Scoop: Molly Shannon Joins CBS' The Talk

Get More: News, Scoop

Is Molly Shannon as fast and funny as Leah Remini and Holly Robinson Peete? Fans of CBS’ daytime chatfest The Talk will have a chance to find out when the show returns for its second season. Our sister site Deadline.com reports than the Saturday Night Live vet will serve as a guest host for the month of September, and will join returning Talk panelists Sara Gilbert, Julie Chen and Sharon Osbourne, as well as recently hired Sheryl Underwood, for next Tuesday’s season premiere.

Last week, the show signed Kardashian matriarch Kris Jenner to serve as a fill-in cohost. Remini and Robinson Peete were not asked to return to the show after serving on the panel for the duration of its inaugural season.

Are you excited to see how Shannon fares at The Talk‘s roundtable? Or does your membership to Team Leah and/or Team Holly mean your Talk-ing days are over? Sound off below!

Comments (264)

• The show has been painful to watch all week! I have nothing against Molly but she isn’t funny in the venue. Holly and Leah had it nailed…..they were the reason I watched! It is painful now and I just can’t do it anymore….bye bye talk! I loved you before ….but not now! I hate it when networks ruin good shows for no reason…..

Comment by Julie – September 8, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Talk was not broken but CBS has screwed with it’s hosts and now it is! Whoever made the decision to get rid of Leah and Holly should be demoted. I won’t be watching any longer. Shame.

Comment by Mary Ann Thomas – September 8, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my daughter and I saw The Talk 2x and just loved Leah!!! She was funny and talked to the audience!!! Holly was great too! We will not be watching it anymore….too bad it’s going off the air!

Comment by susan strother – September 8, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The one they should have given the boot to was Julie. She’s the only one on last years panel that turned me off. The show isn’t the same without Lisa and Holly. I DVR it everyday last year.

Comment by Edna OConnell – September 8, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won’t watch anymore because they didn’t listen and appreciate their audience. Let the Talk fail and the point will be made! Boycott it, just turn it off.

It is such a disappointment that the hosts have changed. Julie Chen and her husband got rid of all the chemistry. More petty women politics or just Chen too jealous of independent women who don’t need their boss/husband to make a show for them. Chen doesn’t look so classy now!

I watched daily and will not anymore. The choices may be nice bright women but there is no chemistry and the way the others were replaced was not with any dignity or grace. Chen would do well to take a lesson from Barbara Walters. The View has replaced very few co hosts and mostly the co hosts who left did so to pursue other options. Chen just fired Holly and Leah hiding behind her husband.

The blew it and any ratings won’t include me. Too bad, I will miss Sharon Osborne because I won’t be watching. I wll miss Holly Robinson and Leah Rehmini because the producers of the Talk weren’t listening.

Comment by Cal Watcher – September 9, 2011 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant believe the dumb asses over at CBS. They had an entertaining fun group of ladies and they went and messed it all up. I couldnt even bear to watch 5 minutes with the new girls. Actually Molly Shannon is annoying not genuinely funny. Who in the world thought she would be a great fit for The Talk?! That Moonvess guy or whoever he is Chen’s husband sounds like a real arrogrant prick. I wouldnt watch that show if you paid ME! It must him who is ruining CBS because its the worst network. I was surprised I found a show I liked on CBS but the prick had to ruin it!!

Comment by Elena – September 9, 2011 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow…who ever made the decision to remove Leah and Holly needs to have their brains and hearts examined…

Comment by cacc – September 9, 2011 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @cacc, thats only if you have brains and hearts!

Comment by Dani – September 15, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The one show I enjoyed watching every night. I recorded it daily. Even my husband thought Leah and saras dynamic was hilarious. No wonder mist of the shows on CBS are horrible. With idiots that you have running the network , it’s no wonder. You have a successful show and you destroy it. What stupidity. All the times Sharon was bleeped fir her vulgarity and she’s still on the show. The five you had was what made the show. The chemistry was perfect. CBS you are idiots. Whoever is responsible for this decision is dumb as dirt!!!!!

Comment by Laurie cappo – September 10, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can cbs take off two of the best and funniest gals on the tv. WHY!!!!!!!I am a sixty year old disabled male, who was flipping channels one day out of shear tv show boredom and these two gals caught my attention.Haven’t seen comedy like Leah and Holly ,in a long time. PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!!!

Comment by Ron – September 10, 2011 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously, there are perks to being married to the boss, because had J.C. not been married to the boss, she would have been the one gone. Her monotone voice is challenging, to say the least. The two who were not asked to come back really completed the round table, making a good diversity. I’m not fond of CBS to begin with, but now I’ll just turn my TV off an hour sooner than I normally do.

Comment by Betty – September 12, 2011 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I soooo hate the show right now…Thanks JULIE FOR NOTHING…Chen husband should have gotten rid of her and Sara…The two dullest ones out of the group…No instead you gotten rid of the two who made the show worth watching…Chen is better behind a news desk

Comment by Lisa – September 12, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How sad no explanation why the two was not coming back..CBS has shot theirselves in the foot..Leah holly and Sharon carry the show..Julie no personality at all and if any one should have left it should have been Sarah she really don’t have much to say anyway…No more Talk for me and my friends…Team Holly and Leah…can’t wait for their next project….watch the first 2 new shows…worse than the View…Time Out For The Talk…by

Comment by fay henderson – September 12, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I JUST SENT AN E-MAIL TO YOU GUYS ASKING ABOUT LEAH AND HOLLY! I JUST STUMBLED ACROSS THIS SEARCHING FOR LEAH AND HOLLY!! JULIE CHEN,,YOU HAVE POWER WITH THE OWNER,PRODUCER TO BRING THESE GIRLS BACK!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? YOU AND SHARON ARE STRONG ON THE SHOW, BUT, LEAH AND HOLLY ARE WHY I DVR’D THIS SHOW WHEN I WASN’T HOME! I CAN NOW WATCH ANOTHER SHOW AND NOT FEEL GUILTY! YOU GUYS WERE “CHICKEN” TO TELL ALL OF US THAT THEY WEREN’T ASKED BACK! I WAS JUST EXCITED WAITING ON THE NEW SEASON TO START! NOW I WILL NEVER WATCH AGAIN! I FEEL AS IF WE WERE TRICKED BY YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND TO TUNE IN AND NOT BE TOLD THE TRUTH! YOU NEED TO ADDRESS THIS,,,FACBOOK WILL RUIN YOU IF YOU DON’T RUIN YOURSELVES FIRST! THIS ISN’T BIG BROTHER,,,I HATE THAT SHOW,,,THE TALK WAS A HAPPY DISCUSSION WITH COMEDY,LOVE,TRUE FEELINGS ABOUT HOW MOMS DEAL WITH STUFF AND HOW FRIENDS THROW EACH OTHER UNDER THE BUS! I HOPE THEY GET A SHOW THAT KICKS YOUR SHOW OFF THE AIR,,,OH THAT’S NOT GONNA HAPPEN WHEN YOUR HUSBAND IS THE BIG DOG THERE, RIGHT? ANYWAY, YOU WILL STRUGGLE TO KEEP VIEWERS NOW, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE, STRUGGLE! I HOPE SHARON LEAVES YOU TOO!!! SHE IS AWESOME, AND I DO LIKE WATCHING HER! SARA, I’M SURPRIZED THAT YOU WENT ALONG WITH THIS DECISION! I THOUGHT YOU WERE ALL ABOUT BEING FAIR,,,GUESS NOT!
    SINCERELY,
    WANDA NEESE
    GREENSBORO, N.C.

Comment by WANDA NEESE – September 12, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found The Talk to be a wonderfully entertaining break in the middle of my day. My husband (retired) quickly began to look forward to the show as we watched each day, together. We agree with the viewers who say The Talk, without Leah and Holly, is surely doomed. It is hard to believe CBS executives could not see the greatest contribution to this show came from these two hosts! With all five of the first season’s hosts, we found the show to both informative and entertaining. The interaction between the five was the perfect mix! With two important members of the team missing, how can The Talk possibly survive another season? Wake up, CBS!!! Good luck Leah and Holly.

Comment by Pat – September 12, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not watch anymore, You got rid of the best ones on the show, THE SHOW IS OVER

Comment by mary Jackson – September 12, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @mary jackson – Ditto!!!!!!

Comment by kimmie – September 15, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I JUST PLAN OLD WILL NOT WATCH THE TALK ANY MORE IT WAS A PACKAGE .. ITS LIKE BASEBALL TEAM TAKE GOOD PLAYERS AND REPLACE THEM WITH ROOKIES WHERE WILL THAT TEAM GO ….. HOW STUPID TO BREAK UP SUCH A GOOD SHOW IM LIKE ONE PERSON SAID I DONT DVR ANY TALK SHOWS BUT THE TALK GUESS WHAT IM TAKING IT OFF MY DAILY RECORDING….. SORRY LADIES THAT CBS ADONT KNOW WHEN THEY HAD A GOOD THING ;;;;;;;;;;; WILL NOT PURCHASE ANY PRODUCT

Comment by mike little – September 12, 2011 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was looking forward to the new season. I even told all my friends they must watch but now Im so disappointed. Leah was the best I loved her being real. She would make me laugh so much. It was therapitic. Even though she made comments to Sara you could feel the love! This seems like a totally new show now one so boring I feel asleep. Please bring back the original team or Im out

Comment by Catalina – September 12, 2011 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am shocked that this show’s decision makers decided to make these changes. The show does not have the same chemistry and energy it once had. I would watch or taped this show daily, but I no longer like what I see. At times I was not sure about Sharon O., but having Holly Robinson-Pete and Leah Remini not asked back is shocking. These two women helped make the show a success. I am not afraid of change, but when this show is working for the people and they like it better than the View, YOU WERE WRONG. Plus you probably have lost a viewer.

Comment by Sharon – September 12, 2011 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very sorry to see two wonderful talk show host go. the 5 of them were great together, i used to tape it eveeyday! Well i am done now.i do not like the replacement as to have a Kardashian hosting sometimes please sick of the all family! !!

Comment by monique – September 12, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so upset when I seen leah and holly gone..they were the only ones real moms could relate to. I stopped cleaning and laundry each day to watch…not going to watch anymore! Way to boring.. don’t have time for naps!

Comment by at home – September 13, 2011 08:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do network executives always fell they have to fix something that’s not broken!!! Leah and Holly were the reasons I watched this show !! Guess I’ll have to find something else to do in this time slot !! DUMB, DUMB,DUMB decision!!!!

Comment by Cheryl – September 13, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a mistake these TV experts made. If its not broke dont fix it. The show is not the same without the original 5. I will not be watching anymore. I like Molly Shannon in movies and on SNL but she drives me nuts with her hand action it is very distracting. She does it constantly. I really liked it better with Leah and Holly.

Comment by Peggy – September 13, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Peggy

What TV experts, now thats a stretch…rotfl!

Comment by Lynn – September 15, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally agree with all comments. Loved Holly. Without Leah Sara went from so so to a total bore. Sharon Osborn is OK. Julie Chen is so full of herself. Driving everyone nuts with her miss perfect facade. Im assuming Holly and Leah were too well liked overshadowing the Julie. Quit the View because I got sick of Elizabeths misinformed political view. So what to watch now. I agree with the gal that suggested Oprah give Leah and Holly a slot on her network. Ill be waiting. In the meantime I will read a good book.

Comment by Marilyn Robinson – September 13, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a great mistake!! Today, September 13 was at least 50% music, where was the TALK? Rather then miss the antics of Reah it’s just another show that I won’t be watching. Best wishes to Holley and Reah. You both deserve better.

Comment by Audrey – September 13, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree. I started watching with them on and just thought they were in vacation so I kept watching. I’m extremely disappointed that they have left and I dont think the show is as good without them! It was fine when I thought it was temporary, but now I won’t keep watching.

Comment by Renee – September 13, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to be a daily fan and viewer of the The Talk…but I was so disappointed when I found out that Leah and Holly were not coming back. I have been trying to watch just to see how the two new hosts would work out. Awful!! Molly Shannon is such a bore, no personality at all. The other new host(can’t remember whats her name)is no where funny like Leah was. CBS has made another blunder. I like Sara Gilbert but poor thing just blew it today when she got tongued tied with Stevie Nicks. Stevie just looked at her funny and someone stepped in to save the moment.

Bad, bad idea to let Leah & Holly…I am glad I will not be watching when Kris Jenner co-hosts. Yikes!! No more K women pleae.

Comment by AME3 – September 13, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You need to explain why you kicked off Leah Remini she made the show

Comment by Maureen levin – September 13, 2011 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will have to take the Talk off my list. I would record this show just to make sure I would not miss a Leah and Holly. My question to Sarah is how could you let a person like Julie run the show. She is so annoying and plastic. And Mrs. O run….

It does not matter if you get comedians that appeared on SNL .. they had script writers. dah… And now you let people get as nasty as they please thinking that you will get ratings.. nope…

All the best to Leah and Holly!

Comment by Katherine – September 13, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not watch anymore. I’ve tried, I just don’t care much for the new cast. The chemisrty is gone…that’s too bad.

Comment by ks – September 13, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really disappointed, I work full time but I DVR the show everyday it’s just not the same. I’m not really a fan of Molly Shannon and the comedian Sheryl Underwood I never heard of. The chemistry between everyone was great. It was fun listening about them spending time together even outside of work. The show was just very down to earth. Don’t get me wrong I love Julie, Sharon and Sara but I really miss Leah and Holly. Don’t fix something that isn’t broken.

Comment by SNeumann – September 13, 2011 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to watch The View, But all those ladies talk all at once…..I was thrilled when The Talk came on I watch or taped every show..I really enjoyed the program,,,,,,with the changes CBS has make I will never watch The Talk again……….CBS YOU HAVE REALLY MESSED UP…YOU HAD A GREAT SHOW WHICH I AND MILLIONS OF OTHERS ENJOYED…WHY SCREW IT UP

Comment by Janet B – September 13, 2011 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t care for Leah but she was so much better than Molly or the other “guest” host.Why spoil a good thing. There is not much good tv during the day and now it is even less interesting.

Comment by Esther Ormsby – September 13, 2011 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a fateful viewer of the Talk and didn’t miss 1 episode. I have tried to give Molly and Sheryl a chance but the show is now boring. I will no longer be a viewer of The Talk. This was a horrible move and I am sure the ratings will go way down.
    I miss Leah and Holly.

Comment by Rose Craven – September 14, 2011 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very sad. Love the show. But will not watch without Holly and Leah they made the show.

Comment by sandra – September 14, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Sanders, Agreed.

Comment by Dan – September 15, 2011 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have told everyone on this is my favorite show!
    What happened? I won’t need to be at home from now
    on at this time slot. I like the other 3, but its
    not the same. Goodby

Comment by Carolyn Soles – September 14, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m soooo very dissapointed. Nothing against the new gals, although CBS you missed the mark. I was a avid watcher of As the World Turns and very sad and angry that it was canceled. However I gave the TALK a chance, (didn’t want to…but I did) The 5 ladies jelled so good on set. I soon bacame a fan and not so sad anymore about ASWT cancelation. Don’t know what happened behind the scenes or why CBS did what they did, but they sure made a big mistake. Mrs. O I’m so sorry for you. I love you on the show with the other gals missing I don’t plan on watching as faithfully or possibly at all. Miss ya Holly and Leah and…oh well you won’t have to worry about being there when the BIG CANCEL stamp happens on the TALK.

Comment by Sally Jackson – September 14, 2011 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So disappointed to find out that Leah and Holly are no longer with The Talk, they were the HEART AND SOUL of the show, along with Ms.O .,Also, with Holly having so much to give with a child with special needs it gave hope, and life a new meaning when she shared her real world…,And Leah brought laughter,fun and tears she knew real as well, they will be missed from all(Hearts) who knew, and felt their realness.. I believe The Talk now looks like a flip-side of the View. Sorry, You lost your “Pizazz”

Comment by lori d wilson – September 14, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the show really does not have the spark any more.i think holly and leah were the only problem i had with leah was the facial expression she made . same goes too holly.the both off them shoulg off realisef that’s its a day time talk show and u need too show some class and respect. i say good riddance

Comment by savitri – September 14, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know, I had really given up on CBS after they took As The World Turns off but gave The Talk a chance & loved it so much!! I watched it faithfully every day. Leah & Holly gave it the energy & life that it had and now it has none of that. They were just so “real” and easy for everyone to identify with. Stopped watching The View because of nasty Elisabeth Hasselbeck and refuse to watch a show that will have another Kardashian on it. Someone at CBS needs to wake up & understand that the loyal viewers are very upset & will no longer watch The Talk. And honestly, I agree with all of those that said that not acknowledging the fact that Leah & Holly were let go was very disrespectful to the loyal viewers-good job once again CBS!

Comment by ElBeeBee – September 14, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not happy that Holly and Leah were not asked back. Big mistake. The show is so boring now! I use to laugh all through the show. Not any more! Will not be watching!

Comment by Cheryl – September 14, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOOKED FORWARD TO THE TALK, EVERY AFTERNOON————AND
    NOW IT IS NO LONGER WORTH WATCHING, I LOVED LEE AND HOLLY !
    WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, CBS ? IF ANYONE HAD TO GO, IT SHOULD HAVE
    BEEN THAT GOOFY OSBORNE WOMAN———SAD! SAD!

Comment by JULIA D. SMITH – September 14, 2011 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never missed a show last season and after watching 3 shows, which by the way was a struggle, I will absolutely not watch anymore! I loved the chemistry of all 5 of the ladies and you have totally screwed up a great thing. Leah and holly are missed and the new hosts truly don’t add a thing. Myself and many of my friends will no longer be watching.

Comment by lorraine – September 14, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS bad move. What were you thinking? I TIVO this show every day and watch on the weekend. Starting watching the recorded episodes for new season and to my shock no Leah nor Holly. Deleted all the recordings and will not be watching anymore. Sara should be gone but we know that will not happen since she is show creator. Sarah is the most BORING!

Comment by Kudesha – September 14, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Leah & Holly! Leah was just too funny to drop. I enjoyed the good natured talk and friendship among the ladies of The Talk. Not there now. Bring back The Talk I enjoyed last season.

Comment by F Herring – September 14, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so disappointed in CBS this was a horrible decision I watched The Talk everyday this is one more viewer they lost. Julie and Sara are boring they have nothing interesting to say.

Comment by mary – September 14, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone, anyone answer me….just why did they mess up a good thing?

Comment by Dan Madro – September 15, 2011 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring them back or the show will fail
    Viewers want leah & holly
    Show needs the original 5.

Comment by K – September 15, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to Agree Tenfold, I’m a guy and i was highly entertained by these two lovely ladies. I walk in one day and to my surprise my Family(All Girls) where tuned into another program instead of the talk. I Asked and they said that Holly and Leah weren’t up there anymore. Very disappointed i was i looked at the show to give it a not….not as good as it was before.. Sorry CBS, i don’t know what made you make this decision but you’ve just lost me and about 3 other viewers..unless you De-Fix what you apparently tried to fix. Best Wishes to the 3 Original ladies that are still up there…

Comment by Dom – September 15, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Leah and Holly. I really don’t care for the two replacements and I don’t find them funny or enjoyable. In fact, I find both ladies very annoying. The interaction, respect and friendship between the original 5 ladies of The Talk made it an enjoyable show and it was programmed into my DVR. I’ve continued to watch the show, waiting for Leah and Holly to return. Just went on-line and found out that they’d been replaced. I believe this is a huge mistake by the powers-that-be and I can see the show ending in the near future. They messed with a successful formula and and, I believe, ruined an enjoyable show. If anyone’s listening and I sincerely hope they are — please bring Leah and Holly back. The Talk WAS the only day time show I watched, now I won’t watch it because it’s just annoying.

Comment by Paula America – September 15, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am BEYOND DISAPPOINTED that Holly & Leah did not return. What a wonderful panel you HAD. CBS…what were you thinking? Obviously you weren’t. This show will never be the same without them. I have nothing against the replacements other than they aren’t Holly & Leah. I don’t think I will be tuning in this season.

Comment by LP – September 15, 2011 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post