Modern Family Adopts Arrested's David Cross

David Cross has found a new clan to terrorize.

Arrested Development‘s erstwhile Tobias Funke has landed a recurring role on ABC’s Modern Family, TVLine has confirmed.

He’ll play a city councilman who goes toe-to-toe with Claire (Julie Bowen) during the show’s upcoming third season, per The Hollywood Reporter, which first broke the news.

Cross’ most recent TV gig was a recurring role Fox’s short-lived Running Wilde.

Modern Family returns on Wednesday, Sept. 21.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Joe says:

This is enough for me to start watching the show. I’ve heard great things and know I’ve been missing out, but this is the last straw, I’m gonna watch the first two seasons very soon now.

2. T says:

You mention the failed Running Wilde, but not The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret, in which he was the star??
    I thought better of you, ya big Aushole

3. caro says:

I can’t believe this. THE DAY has finally come. The day Modern Family meets Arrested Development. And Julie interacting with David? This is going to be comedy heaven. especially since she’s said her favorite TV family is the Arrested Development one. Can’t wait, it’s going to be epic.

• E says:

Uh, Judy Greer (Kitty) was Phil’s ex-flame in S1. I love Arrested Development, but he’s not the first actor from the show to make it to Modern Family.

That said, I think he’ll be great!

4. jumping the shark says:

Ugh. Please don’t ruin what is one of the best shows on TV with David Cross. He’s a one-note. Plays the same annoying, tired character on everything he’s on.

5. Adam L. says:

The problem I have with the Cross casting is that it immediately pulls me out of the reality of the show; I’ll be thinking: Hey! There’s David Cross.

6. abc123 says:

Horrible casting. I swear, this guy’s on my “most hated” list. Just totally one-note, unfunny but yet completely full of himself. Ugh!

7. DL says:

Amazing news. David Cross is one of the funniest gents out there. Admittedly, I’m more looking forward to any inevitable interaction between him and Ty Burrell, but I’m sure he and Julie will do great stuff too.

8. Casto says:

Best casting news ever. Love the show and Cross is my favorite comedian.

9. lacey says:

This is such great news! I hope David Cross’ character gets to interact with the rest of the cast also.

10. DrSpaceman says:

I’m so excited I blue myself!

11. Adam Cooper says:

Ummm, Running Wilde may have been Cross’ last network show, but his last show to debut was ‘The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret’ which airs on IFC and was given a second season. Was also created by Cross as well. I know more viewers will have seen ‘Running Wilde’ but let’s give some props to this amazing small show!

12. Mitch says:

This Cross is some kind a something. Boy this Cross is all anybody is talking about.

I am so sick and tired about hearing how brilliant this Cross is. OVERRATED.