Big Bang Theory Taps Switched at Birth Star

Katie LeClerc, one of the two young female leads of ABC Family’s freshman hit Switched at Birth, will be spending part of her hiatus hopefully striking a spark with one of the Big Bang Theory boys.

Specifically, LeClerc — who is hearing-impaired in real life — will guest-star on the CBS comedy as Emily, a friend of Penny’s who is Deaf, and as such would seem to be an ideal match for Raj, who isn’t able to speak around women anyway.

Switched at Birth Pops Out 22-Episode Pickup

Per EW.com, LeClerc will appear in the Oct. 6 episode of Big Bang, which kicks off its fifth season on Thursday, Sept. 22, at 8/7c. Switched at Birth will resume its supersized freshman run in early 2012.

1. Julie says:

That’s great news! Love her character on Switched at Birth and I love the Big Bang Theory. I just hope she doesn’t stay there too long because she needs to stay on Switched at Birth!

2. So excited for her she is an amazing talent on Switched at Birth. I do hate to nit pick but I thought I read in an interview she wasn’t deaf but had Meniere’s disease where a symptom is hearing loss?

• Sof says:

She talked about her Meniere’s disease on an ABC4 interview. And she was certainly not deaf.

• Porthos says:

Nitpick much?

• Plum says:

Katie’s disease caused her to lose hearing, she has to wear a hearing aid but she said as the symptoms progress she is hearing less and less. She learned to sign before she lost her hearing. She does speak “deaf” which is to suit the character, but she is deaf.

• Carolyn says:

With Meniere’s if your hearing is affected, you never know from day to day (even minute to minute) how much you’ll be able to hear. If you’re in a room full of chattering people, you might as well be completely deaf, because then it’s almost impossible to hear even the person right next to you. I’m glad Katie can get assistance with a hearing aid, but for many of us with the same disease, it’s not an option.

• madhatter says:

The article doesn’t say she’s deaf, just hearing impaired.

• skscott says:

She is not completely deaf but hears better then the charactor she plays.. but she does have less hearing. I think it was important to cast someone with hearing loss but did not need to be completely deaf like Marley Maitland.

3. Leslo says:

Great, I kind of fell off BBT this (well, last) season. Just wasn’t as good, may tune in now again.

4. Tiffany says:

Ha! This sounds amazing!

5. lacey says:

Why does Penny need a new friend? As for a love interest for Raj, I like him single.

• Dick Whitman says:

You might like him single, Lacey, but it’s not about you, is it? Do you think Raj likes being single? All those lonely nights…? Did you even considered what Raj likes?

• Deg says:

You are aware Raj is a character on a TV show and not a real person right? So it’s not about what Raj likes ((cuz he doesn’t exist)) it’s about what’s funny. And a girl who can’t hear is a funny match for a guy who can’t speak around women… and adding that to the mix of Raj and Penny having slept together, nice. Looking forward to the new season.

6. Captain says:

She looks SO much like Julie Marie Berman (LuLu, General Hospital) in that photo.

7. Lauren says:

I nearly DIED when I read this! SOOOOO happy to see Katie on another fave show of mine :)

• Plum says:

It’s great news for Katie, tho I did hope they were talking about the amazing Sean Berdy, he is the dreeeamest thing on two feet walking this planet.

8. Jericho227 says:

I am on cloud 9, I love Switched at Birth, that it is currently in my Top 4 DVR Priorities. There is something about Katie that captivates me and now with her on Big Bang Theory, with the man himself, Raj, Someone please pinch me :-)

9. Ruby says:

Good for hem raj its a beautiful men

10. She is awesome. Well deserved.

11. Kelly says:

Props for capitalizing Deaf, Matt. (Assuming, anyhow, that the character is Deaf and not just deaf.)

12. Janine says:

Isn’t she kind of young to be playing a love interest for any of the BBT guys?

13. mamoj says:

I just love her role…
    I wish that she never stop acting