Showtime's The Big C Renewed for Season 3

For fans of The Big C, this is just what the doctor ordered: a third season of the Showtime dramedy — meaning Cathy (played by three-time Emmy winner Laura Linney) will live to see winter.

Catch Up on Scoop on All of the Showtime Shows

With the series’ sophomore finale set to air Sept. 26, the cabler announced on Thursday that it has picked up a third, 10-episode season, to bow during the second quarter of 2012.

Showtime has a new season of Dexter and the freshman thriller Homeland premiering Sunday, Oct. 2, while Shameless and Californication are set to return Jan. 8, 2012 — the same night that House of Lies, a dark comedy starring Don Cheadle and Kristen Bell, debuts.

1. marty says:

A third season? Just when is this chick gonna die?

• Nicotine says:

Really? It’s only been two seasons. Does no one have any patience anymore? Or were you intentionally being a A-hole?

I do think however, that at some point they should allow Cathy to die. Cancer is just as much about the family’s reaction to death as it is the person who is dying.

Personally, I think the show would be very interesting if they focused on her husband, her son and her brother after she passed away. Let’s face it, the insane brother is the best part of the whole show anyway.

• lipsticksocialism says:

YES about the insane brother!

• Jayne W says:

Yes well no one expected much from the comments of Americas joe average. The average straw chewing uncultured american does not understand taste or culture . There is an old saying ‘That you can’t can educate pork’ just like an American can’t buy style, taste or culture. Money cannot buy those 3 things your either born with it or not. Lets face it. Most Yanks have no style or taste because it simply goes over their heads.

• Bo says:

Jayne… it is you’re as in you are not your, damn brits, so stupid!

• Loulou says:

Bo, I think you should hold your tongue! Do not talk about us like that. By the way it’s England, you know as in English folk – the language you try to have a bash at? Poorly might i just add! You see how your negativity has just brushed off? Maybe you should think about that next time you think it’s wise to make a remark on people you do not know. It’s not very nice is it?

• Loulou says:

Jayne, if you are English then I am appalled!

• Jessie says:

well, how could they focus on the husband, son and brother? the husband died of a cocaine overdose in season 2 episode 13. just as Cathy had reached the finish line of the Marathon.

• Bop says:

Fcukin Aye

• sash fan says:

Great! I like this show. The brother stuff is getting old, though. Move him back to the bit part he was at the start of season one. Everyone else is funny.

• Jaz says:

All we can say is WOW! This show tugs on all your emotions. One minute we’re laughing then next we’re cheering and then balling our eyes out.
      We love it. Keep it coming, and really, we have to wait almost a whole year?!?!?

• spikez says:

when are you going to die!

2. Emma says:

Great news, I love Cathy and Laura Linney delivers an amazing performance.

3. Kevin says:

“meaning Cathy will live to see spring”…. um, not sure if this reporter watches the show but the first season was summer, second season was autumn, meaning the third season would be winter…so Cathy will live to see winter…

4. Kevin says:

Thanks Matt! No harm, no foul!

5. phantom says:

Excellent, I really love this show, the writing and the performances are all great. Although I’m slightly frustrated that after 13-episode seasons it “only” received a 10-episode-order…does that mean it’s the final season ? I know it can’t exactly be a 10-season-show for creative reasons, but if every season is, well, actually a “season”, 5 seasons could happen and it wouldn’t even be a stretch…right ?

6. Arman says:

Yes, please an insider give us some info about the reduced number of episodes. Is it cause for concern?

7. Irena says:

I realized after the last episode that I won’t be watching the show any longer. All the characters seem so vile to me. I miss Idris Elba’s character, the hot young doctor character, and Marlene, always Marlene. Who would have thought that Gabourey’s character would have the most, I don’t know, honor? Weird – and to me, not in a good way.

8. Arman says:

I still love the show, although the sex-filled first 3 episodes of this season and this new Poppy character makes me question my love.

I hope the show will be more consistantly good next season. Reduced number of episodes worries me. I’d hate it if they get cancelled without a proper ending.

• Russ says:

Yeah I want a proper ending too, which to me ends with her dying. I seriously hope that we get to see this because I don’t think the ratings are there for a four season. especially with the reduced numbers in season 3.

9. Rudolpho says:

Come on Weeds ONE MORE YEAR

• Lexana says:

One more year of Weeds indeed. When I heard about the Big C getting renewed all I could think about is if Weeds is coming back for another year. I know alot of fans have been down on Weeds the past few seasons. But, it’s still consistently entertaining.

10. ty says:

I an ecstatic about the third season not so happy about the lessened episodes
    ..excited to see where things go…loyal fan

• Bo says:

I agree that this is one of the best shows ever, I am addicted! I love all of the characters, alive or not! Bring us more, more, more!!!

11. frosty says:

eh…
    not my cup of tea
    main star is annoying,husband is off-putting, son is a douche
    only one i liked was the brother.

i’ll stick with weeds & nurse jackie

12. LP says:

I love this show and I am a survivor of breast cancer which I was diagnosed with about a year ago. Cancer is a scary thing. First you don’t buy into it at all, then you slowly deal with the reality of it. I believe a positive attitude plays a huge roll and finding something to laugh about every day is key. This show is special to me not just because I can relate to it personally but because it is so full of laughter and so well written. I want more and more episodes and someday she may pass away and believe it or not she just might not. In real life this past year I have see a lot of tragic cases and I’ve seen many miracles and I am happy to say I am one of those….long live the Big C!!!

• lennie says:

I agree! There are so many arty farty types out there concerned with the “right ending” whatever happened to positivity, hope, support and belief??life doesn’ t always end and ist’s about the journey of a whole family living with cancer not some block buster bagger!! Accept the programme whatever the end and naff off all negative yaps!!!

• Susan says:

I have also been going through cancer treatments and my mother as well. It has been a trying year for my family, and not only us, but everyone you speak with. Cancer is everywhere and is such a life changing event. I love this show! This disease changes us all and we do go a bit crazy for a while. Keep it coming, lots more episodes!

13. nellonlyknows says:

After last night (26th) I thought the show was over. Only dead people see dead people, right? So did she die. Guess not if there’s another season ahead. ‘splain?

• Diana says:

She is obviously not dead, there is a season 3. She has been seeing Marlene since she died. Now Lee has died, so she sees him as well. The last seen of the finale was her husband having CPR performed on him and her seeing him next to her 2 dead friends, so I think he is dead too, unless they are able to revive him. I think the reason she sees the dead is because she is close to death herself. She has terminal cancer, death is knocking on her door and is but a breath away. I love the show, and could watch it for many more seasons. The Big C can make you happy and sad and angry and excited right along with its characters. That is the makings of a great show! Thank You Showtime!

14. Jonathon Whited says:

cathy shouldnt die thats stupid the it would be gay its cool that she can see ghoasts she should talk to them more they should come around more….and her son should come out of the closet she needs another gay freind

15. Jonathon Whited says:

she isnt dead wow have u watched the show she can see her dead freinds there always with her cathy didnt die…. ill be the new gay freind lol

16. Jay A. says:

For those who say Cathy needs to die soon we also have to remember these showtime/premium calbe seasons are REALLY short compared to network seasons that are usually 20+ episodes, so really like 3 seasons eaqual 1 network season so I think she show can still live on for a couple of more seasons of course I don’t think it will become a long runner like weeds just because the story wouldn’t allow it.

17. Bundlesorter says:

Great!!! I love this show!!! I am hoping she does not die . She can go into remission, ya know.

18. Kate says:

Excellent news! With a strong cast great story line.

19. Jackieo says:

I totally luv this show. I am a palliative care nurse and this show is funny at times and very emotional at others . Please continue with the show.

20. I loved this show so much that I watched the entire 2 seasons from Netflix.ca this past weekend. I love that it makes me laugh, cheer, cry, and many more imotions about real life. Family life is crazy but wonderful. The Big C does shut a good job of showing this.

21. Loulou says:

I really look forward to this show, i would hate to see the end. I’m shocked to see the husband (Paul) has died, who saw that coming? Not me! I really do love this more than any other tv show, please keep it going, keep the main character alive, perhaps let it end happily with her beating the awful disease that the human race has to deal with.

22. raf says:

Ive heard the husband is not dead, he gets revived from the heart attack.