Fox's New Girl Finds Love With Justin Long

Zooey Deschanel’s New Girl is about to get lucky.

The upcoming Fox comedy has snapped up Justin Long to play a recurring love interest for Deschanel’s adorkable Jess. Long’s character, Paul, is a music teacher, which makes him the perfect guy for Jess, who likes to sing aloud to herself.

TVLine’s Fall TV First Impression: Check Out the New Girl

The actor makes his first appearance in the season’s sixth episode and will stick around for two more. Okay, so maybe it won’t be true love forever.

The guest stint marks a return to TV for Long, who mostly does feature films (Going the Distance, Drag Me to Hell) these days. His big break came in the NBC series Ed, opposite Tom Cavanagh and Julie Bowen.

TVLine’s Fall TV Prep Guide: News, Previews, Scoops, Videos and More!

New Girl stars Deschanel as a quirky gal in her twenties who moves in with three guys following a nasty breakup. The series premieres Tuesday, Sept. 20, at 9/8 c.

1. Templar says:

Hope this show lasts. I’d have preferred Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Long, but, Oh well.

• Lauren says:

Okay, now this needs to happen. Hopefully after he finishes Dark Knight sequel he can pop by before the next awesome movie I’m sure he’s got lined up.

2. Cass says:

They’re both freakin’ adorable! I was already looking forward to the show–now this has me even more excited.

3. Corinne says:

I am really looking forward to this show, love the idea of them as a couple. Hope the show is good, otherwise, what a waste of talent.

4. Luminosity says:

That sounds like such a great pairing! If they show a lot of chemistry on camera, I wonder if the show will (financially) convince Justin to stay on longer.

5. Saracen Riggins says:

I LOVE JUSTIN LONG!!!! I sure wish he would stick around longer than 2 episodes…

6. Danielle H. says:

LOL this casting screams “We are trying so hard to be hip but don’t want to admit it because that would make us un-hip”. Justin is kinda sweet (I admittedly like Going the Distance because it was funny and well written), but it almost seems like he tries too hard to be goofy/adorable. Planning on checking this out, but it will really have to grab me for me to stick with it.
    I can honestly see even with Fox backing this SO much that it still may not make it because not ever person in America wants to watch a hipster show, ya know??

7. Bella says:

I love Justin Long! I bet they will be great together. I wish he were sticking around longer, too, but he probably still wants to be available for movies.

8. abby says:

This pairing is great, but it’s too bad that they’re waiting til 6 eps in to get him on the show… The previews haven’t instilled any confidence that this show will last to 6 eps. All the characters appear 1-dimensional and built on caricatures. I love Zooey, too, so I’m disappointed – I really want to be excited about this show, but just can’t find anything beyond casting to get excited about. Blah.

9. BonesFringeFan says:

Guys! If ya’ll are like me and you’re beyond excited for New Girl, and you have ComCast, then you can watch the New Girl pilot on Xfinity on Demand before it airs on September 20th!

10. Sara says:

Can we please all agree to stop using the word “adorkable”?