Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Jason George Returns, Ignites Bailey Love Triangle Drama

After heading Off the Map for a brief spell, Jason George is returning to Grey’s Anatomy this fall to further complicate Bailey’s (Chandra Wilson) already complicated love life.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that George will reprise his role as Bailey’s anesthesiologist ex for multiple episodes during Season 8.

Viewers last saw Dr. Ben in the Season 7 premiere when Bailey — still steamed that her beau was out golfing the day of the Seattle Grace massacre — formally dumped him. His return — slated for late October/early November — is sure put a crimp in Bailey’s current romance with Daniel Sunjata’s Nurse Eli.

Exclusive: Kevin McKidd Says Grey’s Has Written Cristina “Into a Box”

Grey’s Anatomy kicks off its eighth season with a special two-hour episode on Sept. 22.

GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Alex says:

As if they’ve developed any of Bailey’s love interests enough to care! But I suppose Ben > Eli. Although they’re basically interchangable.

• Shel says:

I say Eli because at he fights for Bailey.

• Danielle H. says:

You are right. Bailey is one of the absolutely best things about GA, and she gets no screen time anymore. They have barely scratched the surface of her love life, and it’s shame since both men are gorgeous and decent actors. I hope they really put her front and center this year.

Any word yet on what she’s saying about returning for another season after this one? I could kind of see her and Richard staying on through it all, even if the main ones like Cristina and Meredith leave. They could be the concrete that holds it all together; although I honestly do still feel this should be the last season if the mains leave.

2. Megan says:

I think I like the nurse better, but Alex is right. Neither character is developed enough to make any kind of real decision. Maybe the triangle will do that.

3. Lauren says:

I never comment on things, but I have to say, I am so excited Bailey is getting all these great love interests and story arcs. Her character is the best on the show by far and I love Chandra Wilson as an actress.

4. Katie says:

Why must Grey’s pull love triangles whenever a likable couple pops up? Ben was okay…but I love Bailey with Eli. I was hoping they’d get more screen time being adorable. Seriously. Shonda did it with Mer/Der/Addy, Izzie/Alex/George, Lexie/Mark/Avery…give it a rest. Come up with some new conflict and let Bailey keep making naughty in on call rooms with the hottie nurse.

• Gray says:

I agree with you. This is just another tired crutch vehicle that tends to do nothing with a good storyline except drag it out for no other good reason. Ben has been long gone and hasn’t been missed so why bring the milk dud back? He wasn’t that big of a central character and Eli has proven to be more of a better supporter to Bailey both emotionally and professionally.

• Pam says:

I agree Katie. And don’t forget the Christina/Owen/Teddy triangle. Oh, and the Callie/George/Izzie triangle. Oh, and the Mer/Der/Rose triange. LOL

• Jennifer says:

I agree, the love triangle thing is TIRED.

5. Amy says:

Bailey’s love life has changed Bailey, and not necessarily for the best in my opinion. As far as these two characters in Bailey’s love life, to be honest, the cast is over packed as it is. It’s bloated and for some reason Shonda Rhimes feel the need add more. Time to move on, quit adding on more characters and concentrate on the ones that are already on. In particular the season one cast/characters who are under used SL-wise as it is.

6. Definitely Ben, he was charming! I find the actor playing Eli to be irritating.

7. Lucia says:

I kinda expected Ben to show up some time ever since Off the Map tanked.

8. J says:

Baileys gets all the good looking doctor. Seriously.

• makeji says:

I agree – never in a million years in real life.

• kaela says:

And what is “never in a million years” supposed to mean? So sorry that Bailey is not your ideal (read: narrow-minded view) of what a woman should look like. There are plenty of men–of all kinds–who would fall for her. Believe it or not.

9. Hannah says:

I liked Ben very much and hated that they broke things off between him and Bailey because they wanted Jason George on Off The Map. But if Jason will not return as a recurring character and his stint is limited to a certain number of episodes, I’m afraid it’s not a real competition and the decision has already been made that Bailey will end up with Eli. Which is why I’m not really excited about this story. Seeing Bailey and Ben together again only to have it taken away from me again a bunch of episodes later… that’s no fun.

10. Aiya says:

YAY, Bailey, I’m t very tired of “Calzona” and “Calzona/Mark threesome”, I want to see more Meredith/Derek and Bailey/Eli, I like her with him :D

• Anjelica says:

Yes! I completely agree with you. I feel like Bailey didn’t even really have a story line this past season.

• Joe says:

The only bad thing id Derek is gone off of the program. No more Meredith is all alone again, except she has a baby to keep her company.

• holliwood4ever says:

lol…derek hasnt left the show…he is still on it…shakes head his contract is up at the end of the season but he hasnt said what he was going to do…stop spreading the bs….

• Brenda says:

THANK YOU holliwood4ever! Patrick Dempsy has tried to stop this rumor himself but it keeps popping back up. What I would love to see is a season where Derek and Merideth are happy for more than 1 week at a time. I’m very tired of being sad when I watch.I think a lot of people would like to see a little bit of happiness at Seattle Grace!

• Judy says:

Meredith and Derek made this show what it is today.
            I also would like to see them happy for a few shows.
            Please tell me that Christina is not leaving. I know he
            created problems…….but I love Dr. Burke. Be nice if
            he could return for guest shots.

• Terri says:

meredith and derek make me sick.

• 4Cydnie says:

I sooooooooo agree, they make me ssssssssssssick

• hooby says:

yes iam agree with u
        there is no suspense at all
        return dr VEN again
        i want new relationship between dr crav and ob gyn doctor
        separete between ivry and little grey they r nt suitable to each other
        what about cheif wife
        i feel last 3 season not related to each other
        i miss season 1,2,3.4

11. Krista says:

If Bailey doesn’t want nurse Eli, I’ll be more than happy to take that hotness off her hands!! Developed character or not, he is GREAT eye candy!!

12. Dominique says:

ooh I like this! I thought they ended that romance so abruptly. Like, I understand that Bailey had to re-adjust to life and all after the shooting, but she barely broke up with Ben, and then there was Eli.

And I liked Ben.

13. Mandy says:

Eli is fun and challenging, but Ben is more responsible and right from her. Though I love the fact that after seasons of Bailey being annoyed and dismayed at everyone else’s complicated love lives, she is going to have to deal with complications of her own.

14. ingmar says:

I voted for Ben. Eli always felt a bit pushy and his attitude..I just didnt really like him.

15. Brooke says:

Good lord is that a lot of hotness to pick from. Very jealous of Chandra Wilson getting to act alongside both of them!!

16. Babygate says:

I hope Ben gets to stay and sends Eli running for the hills. Eli is eye candy and he is fun to watch but as far as who is more compatible for Bailey, Ben is more grounded and serious. More professional, like Bailey. Eli is hot but Bailey changed with him, and not for the best. But that’s what she needed at the moment. But it’s time to move on. Eli was only a temporary distraction. Bailey said it best, Eli is not the guy you want to bring home to meet your son.

• cantbelieveyoupostedthat says:

really? “more professional like Bailey?” more “grounded and serious?” i guess you have bought hook, line, and sinker into the medias portrayal of doctors vs nurses. what a comment.

• Tammi says:

I think the poster was referring to the personality of the characters, not their ‘professions’. Ben has a more serious demeanor and Eli is a bit crazier and brings out a little of the ‘crazy’ in Bailey (sex in the nap room for example which Bailey used to look down her nose when she was a resident and supervising the interns who were constantly treating the room as an hourly rented motel room). I agree that she behaved more ‘professionally’ with Ben than she does with Eli.

17. Juliet says:

It’s too hard to choose! They’re both smokin’ hot. Maybe both? (Bailey deserves the best, you know.)

18. David says:

I don’t think that the Bailey character has been as effective since the show started going through with giving her a love life. She was always the professional one and that was a great dynamic on the show filled with couples, and hook ups. I think her character feels watered down now and I wish they would let her get back to the old Bailey.

19. Mike C. says:

How does anyone watch this show anymore? Talk about suspension of disbelief? Let’s be real for just one second: Wilson is a talented actress, but there is now way in HELL that someone who looked like her (plain and, to be kind, full figured) would have two guys who like Jason George and Daniel Sunjata fighting over her! This might as well be “All My Children.”

• Sadie says:

I think Chandra is beautiful. And that you are incredibly shallow.

• Brooke says:

Plain? Dude, I’m a straight woman and there is just no looking at Chandra and thinking “plain.”

• Antwon says:

Hey Mike, not everyone is caught up on looks. She’s not raving beauty but she is attractive. We like who we like. You can’t tell me that you don’t encounter couples in real life that are not well matched look wise. I see it constantly!

• Sapphire says:

Full Figured is Sexy, and you need to know that men fight for what they want. And if she happens to be full figured, so what let me tell you we are a diverse country and everyone has their likes and dislikes.

• Annika says:

I love Bailey the character, I don’t care what she looks like – can’t these men love her too? No reason not to. You are either 15 years old or incredibly shallow and have never truly loved anyone. I feel sorry for you.

• Tam says:

Just because her appearance does not attract YOU does not mean that she is not attractive enough for those men. You, sir, are immature and shallow and I hope that your girlfriends are all as equally shallow as you until you understand how personality means so much more than physical appearance. If you actually believe this tripe you have posted, I pity you.

REAL men find a self confident woman attractive because she finds HERSELF attractive. Anything less than a REAL man is worthless.

20. cheers says:

Jason George is hot, but he’s no Daniel Sunjata.

21. Jen G says:

Ben belongs back on OFF THE MAP!

22. ana says:

q regrese la dra. ERICA HANS y asi hay tambien un triangulo amoroso entre calie y arizona es la mejor serie de la historia please

23. diane says:

No more triangles unless Burke comes back…now THAT would be super hot.

24. geanha says:

Bailey needs a real brothers love don’t get me wrong Daniel Sunjata is fine as He&* but it is just something sexy about that Jason George! ooowee! Can we please get some chocolate love on the show!

25. A Guest says:

they’re both hot. I’m just glad we get to look at both of them. =0)

26. Hannah says:

You forgot Der/Addy/Mark

27. NCSouthernBelle says:

EEEEEeeeee!!!!! I love it! I LOVE that Bailey is finally going to be in a POSITIVE dramatic love story!!!

28. Kylee says:

Geanha, I completely agree with you! I love how Bailey was so shy and crazy about Jason. They should definitely get back together!

29. Mariel says:

BEN BEN BEN!!!!! They should have never ended that, Eli is irritating….

30. shopper says:

If you really wanna complicate her love life, bring her ex husband back!!!!

31. Anita Lewis says:

I am so happy 4 Dr.Bailey because I really thought that they was going 2 have her role as a mean doctor who needed 2 b laid..

32. Jessie says:

I think Dr. Bailey should stay with Eli cause he pushes her in a good way & he makes her giggles & glow.

33. Sophie Lewis says:

This is getting OLD!! everyone is cheating on everyone! you could wright the whole Grey’s thing yourself! DON’T GET ME WRONG!!! I LOVE GREY’S!!! it’s the best TV show on TV!!!

34. Awnsc06 says:

Cant wait im interested wats gonna happen w mer/der but im very happy for bailey hope itll get easier baily has been thru so much already n has played a hell of a roll props to chandra wilson so I am exciter for her n

35. Awnsc06 says:

I agree

36. lola says:

yo ella no sabria que hacer.. los dos estan buenisimos…… pero Eli tiene buen corazon.

37. Joyce says:

I, too, am weary of the triangles. Come on writers!! You have great actors to write for… Be creative for cryin out loud!

38. Rossy says:

guapisimos los dos… yo me quedaria… con los dos..!!! jajaja

39. barbara says:

I agree.

40. lso says:

Neither! Bailey should hook up with the Chief!

41. barbara says:

Actually I was trying to agree with katie’s comment. The triangles get played out after a while.

42. Yohana says:

I love bailey, so now its her turn to get a little bit of drama! But im on Eli’s side

43. megan says:

This show has become such a disappointment over the last few years. I hope that this season can pull it back together. That being said. I like Bailey with Ben. I think he helped her cope with things after her divorce and a spell of being a lone

44. Katie Campbell says:

I am so happy for Bailey.She is the hear tand soul of the show, she deserves two fabulous men fighting over her !

45. Marissa says:

Go Miranda! She’s getting her groove back with two hotties pursuing her. I’m loving it. She has had such bad luck with men. I am going to enjoy watching her have two suitors. I’m totally Team “Eli” though. I really like how he’s into “Bailey” and doesn’t just want a fling. He actually wants a relationship with her. I like the dynamic of her dating a nurse who doesn’t care that she is ranked higher. Not all the characters can date other doctors. That’s boring. Eli is very good for Bailey. She’s not as serious with him and actually lets her haiar down. She needs that. I LOVE the way he flirts with her. Daniel Sunjata is nice eye candy!

46. Earline says:

I don’t care who ends up with who as LONG as Derick and Meredith stay together.. I am totally addicted to Grey’s Anatomy!! hate when it goes off for the season. Bailey & Eli should stay together though for he does give her more support…or bring someone totally new on for her..

• Brenda says:

If they don’t fix Mer/Der very early into the season,I seriously will probably stop watching.This has gone on for to long. Wish the writers would understand that its okay for them to be happy, their misery is not what keeps us here. I watch TV to get away from my problems and watching a show whose storyline for 7 yrs. has made me sad really does’nt make any sense.

47. sylvia says:

You are so right!!! I love Eli. He’s sooo hot!!

48. farah says:

i don’t care about anybody else as long as arizona and callie stay together and i think to make the thing great erica hahn should come and we will see arizona or erica

49. Rory says:

Eli sucks! He’s a b*tchy “man” who doesn’t know his place and who doesn’t deserve Bailey. I hope they fire his ass.

• "man"?really? says:

what makes him a “man” instead of just a man??? i hope you can articulate a reason for this ridiculous comment that is not about him being a male nurse. why in the world would you go after his manhood?