Suits Preview: A Blast from the Past Leaves Harvey Feeling 'A Lot of Loss'

This Thursday on the penultimate freshman episode of Suits (USA Network, 10/9c), legal eagle Harvey Spector receives two blasts from his past, when Gary Cole (Office Space) and Alicia Coppola (Jericho) guest-star as his former boss and a onetime colleague who are now respectively angling to hide and expose a dark, years-old truth.

USA Network’s Suits Gets FItted for a Second Season

Cole plays Cameron Dennis, a Manhattan District Attorney for whom Harvey served as an assistant back in the day — before he quit. “Basically, he was my initial mentor,” series lead Gabriel Macht tells TVLine. “The way Mike (played by Patrick J. Adams) has Harvey, he was Harvey’s Harvey.”

Alas, heroes are sometimes meant to fall, and when Cameron reenters Harvey’s orbit, it’s to ask for his complicity in keeping a past transgression under wraps as he seeks reelection.

“There’s some dirt that is picked up on about Gary Cole’s character, and he comes back to me to try and keep it behind closed doors,” says Macht. But in finally coming forward to loop Harvey in, “There is a lot of loss when I find out that he wasnt above board.”

USA Sets Return Dates for Covert Affairs, White Collar

Concurrently with Harvey’s rude awakening, Coppola’s character — now employed by the Attorney General — approaches her former colleague looking to get confirmation of Cameron’s buzzed-about, and potentially damning lapse in ethics.

“She’s trying to end his reelection [bid], so she’s trying get me to open up about him,” says Macht.

First Look: Charisma Carpenter on USA Network’s Burn Notice

What exactly is it that Cole’s DA did back in the day that now has his election campaign running scared, and Coppola’s character out for blood? Not wanting to divulge to much, Macht says, “I guess I can put it this way: He buried some evidence in regards to a certain character that you’ll meet at some point, and I was unaware of it [at the time]. And as that relationship is investigated, and you’ll see how Harvey’s mentor sort of let him down.”

1. Candice says:

Suits is my new addiction! I absolutely love this show and the bromance between Harvey and Mike is great. The actors are perfectly cast and play so well off each other. Harvey might be my new favorite TV character and he is definitely my future husband :) I cannot believe there are only two more episodes and that the show doesn’t return for nearly a year. At least there is a season 2! Can’t wait for tomorrow night. I have loved Gary Cole on The Good Wife and look forward to him on Suits as well!

2. Samantha says:

Suits was one of my favorite new summer shows and I’m excited to learn more about Harvey’s past and personal life!

3. Templar says:

Just so they don’t compromise Harvey’s ethics. That would ruin the show.

4. David says:

Suits is awesome, the camaraderie in a show this fresh is so fun to watch. I agree as long as they don’t compromise Harvey’s ethics it’s all good. What I don’t understand is Mike a lawyer or not I was told even if you don’t go to law school some states allow you to take the bar and if you pass you can still be a lawyer, he said New York is one of them. So is Mike a lawyer or not since he has passed the bar?

• Templar says:

I didn’t think he passed the bar in his own name. I thought he took the test for others.

• Sara says:

Actually he took the LSATs for other people. He took and passed the bar (under his own name) because someone bet him that he couldn’t pass it without having gone to law school.

• Evan says:

He did pass the bar (so he’s a lawyer), but he also lied about having gone to Harvard, and their firm hires Harvard grads exclusively, that’s why he’d be in trouble if they found out.

• Heather says:

In New York, you don’t have to graduate law school to be a lawyer, but you have to take (I believe) 12 credits and then have a structured apprenticeship for several years. Then you actually have to be admitted to the bar – which will never happen after practicing without a license.

• Cece says:

I wonder though, if somehow the writers will make it so Mike is actually licensed but just didn’t go to Harvard. The one sticking point for me is that it is so easy to check if an attorney is licensed in NY, since anyone can look up every lawyer in NY by simply going to the state bar’s website (or maybe it’s the court website, I can’t remember). In any case, it is hard to believe that no one has actually checked to see if Mike is licensed-not human resources at the law firm, not potential clients, not colleagues or adversaries. Not checking where someone went to law school is one thing (few people probably do that), but not checking if an attorney is licensed, that seems almost improbable in the age of Google. Still I love the show.

5. Lisa says:

Do people actually watch this show?

6. Elizabeth says:

I took the New York bar exam (and thankfully passed the first time).

As far as I’m aware NY requires you to have finished law school & have your JD before you can sit for the exam.

NY & NJ do allow you to take both state exams at the same time. It’s over 3 days instead of 2. But Mike needs to get his butt in law school!
    He would take the LSAT for others. I don’t think he’s ever sat for a bar exam.

7. Elizabeth says:

This comment got me thinking. So looked it up. NY doesn’t necessarily require JD if you do a combo of law school & a clerkship. Mike would still have to be in law school though.
    I was thinking NY was same as the Florida bar (I took both) in that JD is required. So disregard my comment below.

8. Emgee says:

This is why I like “Suits” so much. Harvey is a high-powered attorney, not above the fact that he enjoys the luxuries that that brings but still manages to maintain his ethics.

Can’t wait for this episode.

9. Elizabeth says:

Okay how annoying. I pressed reply to David and neither of my comments ended up as a reply. Don’t know where this one will end up lol
    Maybe my phone is being wonky.

10. Sparky says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again I absolutely love this show and I don’t know what I’m going to do without my Harvey fix on Thursday night until the show comes back next year… There’s no way that Harvey is going to compromise himself for anyone…he’ll fix it but I imagine that Cole’s character is going to take the fall for whatever dirty deeds happened in the past. Love Harvey…

11. Jose aguilar says:

O.K one episode left. Finally we see Harvey loose it. Boy Gabriel Macht was excellent on last weeks episode. When Louis wins and Harvey just can’t deal with it because he realizes his mentor has fallen from grace is a beauty to see. Two things I loved was Donna coming to his rescue and betting Mike. It was a great moment because Mike can’t do anything about it. The break down comes I think when Harvey realizes that he lost and has to give Mike up because he was sure he was going to win but this thing with his mentor prevented him from beating Louis. Ah! and Trevor is back for the last episode. Poor Mikey.