Emmys

Emmys 2011: What Show Should Win Best Variety, Music, or Comedy Series?

Over the last eight years, there hasn’t been much variety in the results of Emmy’s race for Outstanding Variety, Music, or Comedy Series. Indeed, The Daily Show With Jon Stewart has taken home the top prize for eight years running, and will go for the nine-peat when this year’s kudos-fest takes place on Sept. 18. Should Comedy Central’s flagship news program extend its win streak, or does one of its five competitors deserve the win?

Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

And Emmy junkies, please keep coming back to TVLine.com for the next few weeks as our coverage builds up to TV’s biggest night! To stay up to speed on all our coverage, follow us on Twitter @TVLineNews!

1. Nerwen Aldarion says:

Fallon should win strictly for getting Colbert to sing Friday.

2. Mikaylah says:

This is such a tough decision. Late Night with Jimmy Fallon is definitely my favorite late night talk show. The Daily Show however is just pure awesome, and I feel like they deserve to win every award ever. :P

3. LoveBug68 says:

Jimmy Kimmel should be recognized but until he is i’m ok with Stewart winning. America is a better place because of him.

4. Polly says:

It’s outrageous that Craig Ferguson still hasn’t got nominated for an emmy.

The Late Late Show is the only late night show that deserves to be watched.

• AJ says:

I agree, the only one that’s actually watchable.

• ShonenB says:

CRAIG FERGUSON. This award is pointless whitout him.

• Brendan says:

Yeah Ferguson is the best. Both him and Kimmel should have gotten a nomination before Fallon. Fallon’s show is absolutely terrible… he lost my viewership after a week because of his stupid “Lick It For 10″ segment.

• Exactly says:

I really can’t take the category seriously when they leave out Craig Ferguson. He’s naturally hilarious and his show is consistently brilliant even though it feels like Letterman funds the show with money he found in the cushions of his couch. Funny finds a way. When a late night host can get a Peabody Award but not an Emmy nomination, something’s wrong.

• Saxyroro says:

I watch 4 of the six shows regularly, but the correct answer is Craig Ferguson. He was already great, but the addition of Geoff has made him the BEST in late night.

• Cozyhobo says:

Craig Ferguson is the only one I watch. He is soooooo funny & brilliant & adorable & hot & did I say funny? But I guess he’s too cool for the Emmys.

• Meghan says:

Lacking the true winner on this list, Craig Ferguson.

• dee123 says:

He’s the Susan Lucci. Oh wait Susan was always nominated never won.

5. brandon says:

LNW Jimmy Fallon is daily appointment TV for me. It’s just consistently funny, creative and buzzworthy, and always a good time. And having gotten to see it live, it’s even better in person. Love that guy.

6. Sourabh says:

If they give it to Fallon or Stewart, or even Conan for that matter, I will be happy.

7. slacker101 says:

As long as it’s NOT SNL, Bill Maher or Conan I’m good. I’d prefer Stewart, but Fallon and Colbert are great as well.

8. Shay says:

Go Jimmy Fallon!! I love Late Night and he has just done such a great job of bringing youth and creativity to stuffy late night television. The Daily Show is awesome too but they have won every year for so long! I think it’s time for a new winner and I’m hoping for Jimmy Fallon! I’ll also take Colbert because he is so hilarious.

9. JohnDoe says:

Let’s see, Jimmy Fallon absolutely sucks. He’s never been funny, never will be. So that’s out. SNL hasn’t been funny in over 10 years, so that’s out. Conan is awesome, so that’s automatically a contender. As far as Colbert and Stewart go, they are both national treasures, but Colbert has been outshining Stewart lately.

All things considered The Colbert Report should win. But it probably won’t, because most people out there don’t pay attention to politics, and on top of that, still aren’t smart enough to grasp Stephen’s satire.

• JohnDoe says:

I should also add that I watch Bill Maher religiously, but don’t think he should win because he doesn’t do enough comedy on his show to compete. He’s mostly a political talk show.

10. Dan says:

As a long-time Team Coco member, I’d say Conan should win it. He created an ENTIRELY new show, with new sketches, without relying on old ones with a slightly different name (unlike Letterman, who brought to CBS his old NBC sketches).

He should’ve won an Emmy last year for his brilliant stint on “The Tonight Show,” but now is the time. Best late-night show on television.

11. josh says:

i love jimmy and still enjoy conan when i get a chance to watch and would love to see one of them win (plus–although he would never say it–i think leno would be highly annoyed if jimmy won after 3 years on the air and he can’t even get nominated lol) but it’s undeniable that what the daily show does day in and day out is brilliant. phenomenal writing. stewart’s a great host. it’s just really smart, really funny tv. as long as it’s around and performing at this caliber, i can’t see how it COULDN’T win

• lv sunny says:

Stewart is brilliant and deserves the award every year. Ferguson is very funny and Colbert plays a wonderful character. But Stewart brings the late night talk shows to a whole new level. Smart guests and really wonderful commentary on politics…I like that nobody is safe! Mahar is also smart, but he’s not Stewart. Conan and Leno are too “vanilla” and Fallon is just too nice and fluffy and I just can’t get into Kimmel. Why is SNL on the list?

12. TayMads says:

Jimmy Fallon!! I find his show entertaining and fresh. I think he brings in the younger audience more so than anyone else and I just think he is funny. I think it should win off of Thank You Notes alone. And Pros and Cons and Shoutout. Lol I love Jimmy Fallon. He should win.

13. Mandy says:

It’s hard to choose between Colbert and Fallon because both shows are so great and consistently hilarious. I went with Jimmy Fallon though. I think he has far exceeded anyone’s expectations for his show.

14. blingedup.susan says:

I’m with those who would vote for Craig Ferguson. That one would be easy. I’m okay with most anyone on this list EXCEPT for Bill Maher, who is creepy awful.

15. Jaime says:

As an avid member of Team Coco I would love it if Conan won, it would be the ultimate up yours to NBC and Leno… but I gotta go with The Daily Show. Jon Stewart brings politics to the younger generation in a way they can understand without babying them. He also makes me laugh every time I watch him, and he keeps the news media on their toes, keeping them (sorta) honest. Never mind his campaign to get the 9/11 first responders bill passed when no other news outlet was even talking about it…

16. ultimate troll says:

I like all the shows on the list (except SNL which has fallen so far) but Craig Ferguson really does deserve some recognition. Not only is his show just as fun and cool as these others, but he is EASILY the most relaxed and fun interviewer of the bunch. Colbert always interrupts his guests. Stewart likes the sound of his own voice more than his guest’s. Conan is okay but a bit awkward. Fallon is easygoing but not great.

17. Charles White says:

Conan because he made a seemingly meaningless phrase into a national Catchphrase LOOKS GOOD!. Plus we all should be on Team CoCo

18. Tiffany says:

I think I have to go with Stewart. He’s extremely intelligent, and uses his smarts to be funny. Same goes for Colbert, but I’ve grown more and more appreciative of Stewart’s ability to make even the most frustrating of topics (politics) bearable. Without him, I’d likely just throw up my hands in disbelief at the stupidity people in places of prominence are able to get away with. He keeps news media and politicians alike as honest as I think anyone is probably able. And really, anytime he and FOX get into it, a great show is guaranteed to happen!

19. ForeverFallonFan says:

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon all the way. His show has grown leaps and bounds over these others. His bits are funny & his musical collaberations have been pure genius.

• G-Mom says:

I agree!! Jimmy Fallon is SO funny and fresh!! Boo Conan. I watched Craig recently. Wasn’t impressed. I never watch Stewart or Colbert, so I couldn’t say.

20. Laura says:

Fallon!!! i can never stay up late to watch him but I DVR and watch during the day. He is hilarious and endearing. He’s an excellent host and very funny on his feet.

21. Katie says:

I still can’t believe that Craig Ferguson isn’t nominated! In my opinion he’s the best of them all and deserves some recognition!

22. uhyeahright says:

I like Colbert Report, Conan, Jon Stewart, and Jimmy Fallon. SNL sucks hard.

Colbert is brilliant and hilarious. He plays the alter-ego, yet makes fun of his alter-ego. Just brilliant. During his interviews, he is still in his alter-ego asking questions oftentimes, and it is just hilarious.

Conan can be funny and annoying. But when he’s funny, he IS funny! I laugh out loud more often during his show then any other show. And some nights are better than others. He’s actually stretched out his creativity because he had to start a new show based on new skits, new material, etc. The beard was hilarious when he had that on. But he’s really good without it as well.

Stewart is really funny, but he’s a little too smug about himself (Colbert does the smugness as an act for his alter-ego).

It is really fun to watch the beer pong with celebrities on Fallon. He seems to be able to get celebrities to do stuff that they wouldn’t normally do. I noticed also that he starts singing somebody’s song, full knowing he’ll have to pay for it on his show for the use of it (not many other late night or talk show hosts will sing/play a song to then have to pay for it). Like when Elton John was on, Fallon started singing one of the Elton John’s songs. Elton John: “You know now you’ll have to pay for that?” Fallon: “Yeah, I know!” Elton thought he had gotten him good. haha.

23. Buffy Freak says:

To me it’s only between The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

24. Buffy Freak says:

To me it’s only between The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

25. Kristin says:

Colbert or Coco for me!

Colbert is the funniest Late Night host for me.

26. uhyeahright says:

Actually, I wish Colbert was on for a whole hour, instead of just 30 minutes. He deserves it.

27. Kathryn says:

My vote goes to Colbert just because I find that show to be the funniest. However, I do like the Daily Show too (though not as much as Colbert), and that show influences pop culture more.

However, I sometimes feel like Jon Stewart is just saying what he thinks his liberal audience wants to hear, while Colbert is more of an equal opportunity parody-er.

28. Mark says:

As if anybody but Jon Stewart has a shot.

29. Mara says:

Really? Someone voted for SNL? lol

I love Jon Stewart and Colbert. Colbert has been better than Stewart lately though… but I doubt he will win.

I vote for Bill Maher. He will NEVER win in a billion years, but boy does he get to the point faster than Jon and Stephen. When Bill Maher does get it right he is the master.

30. Amy says:

So excited to see all the love for the Fergs :) He’s got my vote too!! But, since he’s nominated…..I’m going with Conan, because out of the 6, he’s the only one I watch lol.

31. Dalek90 says:

Craig Ferguson is simply too good for emmys and for americans…

32. Kamilla says:

I watch Conan, Colbert, Fallon religiously, and occasionally Stewart, but it’s time for Colbert to win it. He deserves it. Daily Show is great, but seriously, it’s time to let someone else win. SNL only gets nominated because it’s SNL. Never watched Maher. Doesn’t matter anyway, because I’m sure TDS will probably win again, nonetheless.

33. Lois says:

The Daily Show is a truly great show, but I hope The Colbert Report wins. Stephen Colbert has been at the top of his game this year. His SuperPac has been a work of genius.

34. Stephen S. says:

If was I were to vote, my vote would go to Jimmy Fallon.

35. Amber says:

Mmmm……Craigy Ferg!

He is the best thing on late night and it’s completely amazing he does the whole thing on the fly without rehearsal or writing, really. And those lip sync songs he does are incredibly funny. I dream of having an awkward silence with that man. I am definitely a member of the robot skeleton army.

But out of the ones actually nominated, it is a tough choice between a few of them. I am not sure how Bill Maher got on the list, he is not funny, he is just bitter, egotistical, condescending and completely insulting to anyone who is not quite the extremist he is. And I say that being a liberal myself. I can’t stand the guy. SNL is another one that I am shocked to see on this list, but I haven’t watched the show in years, so whatever. I’ve never actually watched Fallon, but I’ve got nothing against the guy.

So for the remaining three, I am tempted to vote for Conan just out of spite for what the poor guy went through last year. And he is very funny and has proved remarkable at bouncing back. Sometimes his jokes are extremely sexist and tacky though, and I can’t really get behind that, so that loses my vote. I ended up voting for The Colbert Report because the guy is smart, hilarious, quick-witted, affable, and just always “on”. How he manages to keep that conservative schtick up so well is incredible, especially during the guest interviews. But I would not be unhappy seeing The Daily Show win. It is also great.

36. Kel says:

Colbert is the most entertaining person to watch on TV right now. But I think his satire might just be too smart for some people. I think it’s time for a change, and Colbert deserves it just for his SuperPAC idea (“Rick Parry with an ‘A’ for America, with an ‘A’ for IowAaaa”). He deserves to be out of TDS’ shadow, too. TDS is always good, it’s not like Stewart has had a down year, but Colbert has been better and on top of his game. His show makes me laugh harder than any of the others.

37. Robert says:

I agree — Colbert surpassed even the Daily Show in hilarity at least year ago. His Emmy is long overdue.