Parks and Rec Boss Teases Leslie's Big Ben Problem: Will She Have 'Buyer's Remorse'?

Run for office, or cast her vote for true love? Such is the dilemma presented to Parks and Recreation‘s Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) in the Season 3 finale — and it’s a choice she will grapple with as the new season unspools.

Recapping Leslie’s “odd” sitch — torn between seeking a vacant city council seat or continuing her nascent romance with Ben (Adam Scott) — Parks and Rec boss Michael Schur tells TVline, “She really likes the guy that she’s dating, and the guy that she’s dating is sort of her boss, which means that if she dates him while shes running for office it’s kind of a scandal.”

Schur says that after Leslie commits one way or the other in the Sept. 22 opener, “the basis of the first half of the season, through December, will be her living with the ramifications of that decision — probably occasionally second-guessing herself and trying to deal with the inevitable sort of ‘buyer’s remorse.’”

Schur won’t confirm at this early date which way Leslie leans, but does make clear his mission with this particular Sophie’s choice storyline.

“We didn’t want to do a thing a story about how women can’t have it all, because that seems archaic to us, so we tried to make sure that the dilemma was specific and not just, ‘I can’t have a career and a boyfriend!’ — the Cathy [comic strip] curse from the ’80s,” he says. “Leslie Knope is kind of a superhero, and under normal circumstances she could probably have a great relationship with a guy and run a campaign and also make time for her many community center classes, Girl Scout troop-leading sessions and stuff. But in this case it just happens to be that the specific guy is causing a problem.”

What choice do you think Leslie’s will make in the season premiere — public office, or Ben?

1. anna says:

I definitely think she’ll choose to run for office. It will make the Ben-Leslie angst shoot through the roof. They’ll continue to be friends because they are both wonderful people and we will all be pulling our hair out wanting them to just be together and I will feel like I’m watching Season 2 Jim and Pam again and I am excited/sad.

2. Rachel says:

They’re totally going to break my heart with this storyline.

3. Michelle says:

I think she’s going to run for office and I think I’m going to hate this storyline. I just hope it has a satisfying conclusion that makes the angst worth it in the end.

• Alex says:

Oh come on, Leslie HAS to run for office. It’s her dream. And clearly Greg Daniels and Michael Schur are addicted to cheese in their half-hour comedies.. Even if she “dumps” him, they’ll probably end up together.

4. Chelsea Anne says:

If Leslie and Ben split (and I’m guessing they will) my heart will break into a million little pieces. Yes, I am that overly invested in this show! :)

• Corinne says:

You are not alone.

• emily says:

right there with you.

• kelmo says:

I’m invested in this relationship. Yes, she will run. He will be frustrated, as he was once a failed mayor.

• Jackie says:

Totally invested in this storyline! I love Ben and Leslie together and practically fainted when he kissed her…too cute. Would hate to see Leslie denied Ben but can see how they cool it, and put that relationship on the back burner while they work out the Chris Treager/Ann Perkins relationship and his rule against inter-office romance. Meaning – Leslie runs for office while trying to hide her budding romance, giving Chris Treager time to re-think his rule.

5. jrs says:

Can’t wait to see how this plays out. If this were real life, I would just adore Leslie/Ben as a couple!

6. Kelly says:

This makes me so sad. Though I wish for a world where Leslie Knope is at the helm of the great city of Pawnee, I want nothing more than a happy Ben and Leslie coupling, since they are perhaps the greatest television pairing ever. That’s right…I said it, chastise me if you will. Ben + Leslie FTW! Oh, September 22nd…how I can’t wait for you and dread you all in the same thought.

• lydia says:

Ugh, yes to all of this. I think they will end up together (I read somewhere Schur said they were ‘meant for each other’) but I don’t really want it to get all angsty. The best part about this show is how warm and fuzzy it makes me feel…dorky though that may be. I really love this show and this couple and want it all to work out!

7. jewelry says:

Like everyone else, I think she will choose to run for office and still pine for Ben. If she wins, however, are they no longer working for each other (whoever was working for whom) such that it is now okay to date? If not, why not?

8. cjazzle says:

scenario 1: leslie will say no to them dating. but they’ll agree to try again after the election. she will somehow be accused of “unsportsmanlike conduct” but not be able to redeem herself immediately due to a gag order. so she’ll be disappointed in herself and angry at the whole situation and she’ll need to take a break from gov’t, which also includes poor ben who moved to pawnee for leslie. =(

scenario 2: they’ll try and sneak around on the side but that will cause too much tension and angst and so they’ll break up. or they’ll get caught. and then for some bizarre moral/ethical reason ben will join her opponents side and that’ll a real s*** storm of betrayal and cruelty.

im not pessimistic, im just going on the assumption that they can’t be on good terms at the end of the season. for dramatic story arch purposes.

9. Joey says:

Agreed- I think she’ll choose the city council seat- have already read multiple spoilers about a P&R couple breaking up so I think it’s them :(

10. Spencer says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Miffy says:

Um, does anyone really watch this show? Judging from the amount of comments, it doesn’t seem like it. The people who get excited about it remind me of the people who used to get excited about “Caroline in the City” and “Suddenly Susan”.

I’m convinced that this website is taking payments from NBC marketers who are trying to convince us that the show is a big hit. No dice.

12. Jess says:

Love Parks and Rec best show ever!!!!!
    I think the same as you all, Leslie will not go for Ben (not what any of us ladies will do) but then she will regret it. I love this even if it means a little less Ben & Leslie because I trust the writers and will make this f ing good! Can’t wait for September 22 I miss this people and Adam Scott’s face

• sjack says:

I love his face too!! How could you say no to that face? I think she will go for the seat too. I don’t think that I can wait for Sept 22 to get here!!

• Hannah says:

DITTO! But go see Our Idiot Brother and you’ll be able to enjoy his face :]

13. user says:

can we move on from this ‘Ben&Leslie’ storyline!? I love Parks&Rec but this couple is just boring.

14. Jeunesse says:

Leslie is such a strong character and I just can’t get enough of Ben. Such a cutie!!

I think Leslie won’t break up with Ben, but will feel like she missed the boat on office. The scandal will break anyway (someone will snitch) and Ben will eventually have to move away. :-(

15. Karla says:

I hope she chooses to run for office, it’s been her dream and I would hate it if she choose to be with Ben instead, for the time being. However, I know somehow they will end up together, can’t wait to see how.That being said, I want to be Leslie Knope when I grow up!

16. Daniel says:

I am just desperate to see what happens with Tammy I! haha :)

17. Kaje says:

Well, there was also a hint in the season ender that Chris wanted to date Ann again – which would make the “scandal” for Leslie a moot point. That may be part of how the Ben/Leslie issue is resolved.
    Also, if she quits to run for office (which I can’t really imagine) she could end up dating Ben as well. Several ways to go there.

18. Tina says:

I think that she will choose running for public office and Ben will find another job.

19. ishyfish says:

I really truly hope this isn’t a Ross/Rachel type of thing, but I do believe that she will run for office. It is such an intricate storyline, though, because naturally, I feel like the writers know there is money (figuratively speaking) with the Leslie/Ben storyline. How will they re-ignite the relationship after Ben’s heart is broken? I canNOT wait for September 22nd. Counting down the days!!
    Also, Parks and Rec is a great show, to all the non-believers out there. I know Entertainment Weekly highly endorses it, and with good reason! It’s an AWESOME, quality show!

20. GD says:

I am wanting Ben and Leslie to ultimately break up. Ben finds someone new to teach leslie that True Love can and does end.