Exclusive

Exclusive: Smallville Alum Michael Cassidy Takes Over Red-Hot Chelsea Role

What a twisted web of casting scoop this is — so bear with us!

Michael Cassidy, best known for his recurring roles on Smallville and The O.C., has landed a guest spot on NBC’s new sitcom Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea, TVLine has learned exclusively. Cassidy’s role previously belonged to Greek‘s Jake McDorman, who (as we also first told you) has since been promoted to series regular — as a different character. McDornan will now fill the bartender void left by comedian Jo Koy, who was one of three castmembers let go after Chelsea Handler’s semi-autobiographical project was picked up to series.

Now, back to casting at hand — Cassidy is set to play a love interest for Laura Prepon’s leading lady in the premiere. The character is described as a handsome, confident, young Harvard grad who specializes in IT, and — added bonus — has a big fiery mop of red hair.

Th actor’s credits also include The CW’s short-lived Privileged and, most recently, a guest spot on ABC’s Castle.

Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea is slated to premiere at midseason.

1. David F. says:

As any Smallville fan can tell you, this guy can’t act. He was easilt the worst actor ever on Smallville (or the entire CW) and that is saying something.

• Captain says:

I didn’t see a ton of him on Smallville but it’s not what he’s best known for anyway. He was fine on The OC and I actually quite liked him on Privileged, even though I never wanted him with Megan.

• lauren says:

It’s nice to see the great Lee Strasberg comment on a TV blog.

• Lois says:

Yeah, he really bad on Smallville.

• jenny says:

I know he gets criticized by Smallville fans a lot, but he stole all the scenes on Hidden Palms (Kevin Williamson’s earlier CW series before Vampire Diaries) and carried the entire show. SV may not be his best, but Castle showed a massive improvement in his acting.

2. scott says:

this show won’t air enough episodes to have any characters “recur”. gotta be the worst preview i have ever seen. this show makes Whitney look like Arrested Development.

3. valerie says:

Woop! Been waiting to see him on something new.
    Every character he plays is so likable you can’t help but root for him even if you not supposed to.

4. Lauren says:

I can’t believe I’m actually considering watching this. I can’t stand Chelsea Handler, but I love Laura Prepon and Jake McDorman (I must have missed that scoop, I didn’t know he was involved until now.)

5. Tivochick says:

As a Smallville fan and a good judge of acting talent, I adored Michael Cassidy’s performances on Smallville (“Panda boy” lol) and Castle. Wonderful chemistry with Erica Durance. I can see the Tivos need actor searches with his name on them.

6. Nicotine says:

So, this show got rid of all the exotic races and then replaced one of them with another white guy…

• Miffy says:

Why is white any less “exotic” than other races? Is it less worthy in your eyes? The majority of people in this country *are* white, after all.

7. jessi says:

I write in Spanish because they don´t deserve to write in English and I don´t care what they say michael is the best ;)
    Michael es un excelente actor y no lo valoran, deberian darle una oportunidad y dejar de hablar mal de la gente aca hay un dicho que dice “vive y deja vivir”
    Bye!!!!!