Exclusive

One Tree Hill Scoop: Chad Michael Murray Returns! What About Hilarie Burton?

One Tree Hill will get another Lucas fix before the show signs off this spring.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Chad Michael Murray has closed a deal to return during the show’s upcoming ninth and final season. He won’t, however, be accompanied by his onscreen bride Hilarie Burton (Peyton). According to sources, the actress — who is now a regular on White Collar — was not invited back.

To be fair, producers did ask Burton back last season and she declined. “Quite frankly, we just couldn’t make a deal,” creator Mark Schwahn told TVLine at the time. “Hilarie now has a child and a family, and she’s doing some nice work [on White Collar]”

Lucas was last seen driving off into the sunset with Peyton and their new baby Sawyer. According to The CW, Lucas returns to Tree Hill after Haley (Bethany Joy Galeotti) reaches out to him for help.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Leyton-shipper - Louise Crafterberry - Hilarie's my goddess says:

Need for cash, Chad ?
    Whatever. For me it all ended after Lucas & Peyton got together for good. That was my ending for that show. The best one ever.
    Chad without Hilarie ? I won’t watch it.

2. jacob says:

Of all the sites reporting Chad’s return to the show, this is the only one that says anything about Hilarie not being asked back. Who KNOWS what happened? Maybe this is only for episode 8 and then they’ll both be asked back for the finale. Let’s not judge it too quick, for all we know it’s not even true. Let’s just be happy he’s coming back!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Believe me when I say that she was not asked back at this time. Thanks.

• h says:

And with good reason. Hopefully one day, someone will finally open up about what really happened in 2009. She deserves it and the fans should know how things truly are.

• Believer says:

I’d love to know what really happened! What did you hear, H? I don’t buy Hilaries goodie miss two shoes act for one second. You don’t have to sniff to hard to see how rotten she really is!

• h says:

I’m not sure how much I can say but Ian Prange should be thanking his lucky stars. He definitely dodged a bullet there.

• Believer says:

H? How so? Say all you know, I don’t think there is anyone here who can stop you. That’s the beauty of the internet, and I for one am interested. I know there are others out there who would love to know too, despite those who like to protest against it. Spill please :)

3. Amy says:

Great Scott!!

Yeah, I’m a dork :)

4. Gabriella says:

No Hilarie? Lame. Haven’t watch OTH since they left and I won’t be tuning in without Peyton either. Bringing Lucas back without Peyton is moronic – she has established friendships on the show as well so not showcasing those in the final season is a great loss. Doesn’t really matter though, this show was always crap and White Collar is absolutely awesome. Not surprised she doesn’t wanna go back. Why go backwards?

5. Rene says:

Lucas is coming back for the Naley story line and for his best friend Hales!! This will be awesome and I for one can’t wait to see the brothers back together and Lucas and Haley, the best friendship by far on this show. This will bring the show back to it’s grass roots along with Dan and Deb.

6. leyton fan says:

For me its better for Hilarie that she is not coming back Hilarie really dont need to go back to this crap show that its a joke on the industry she really dont need to be linked to this show again.She has a much better job now and im sure that if i was her even if asked i would say no .Of course some people are despereted for a job and need money and attention again since in 3 years this person has a big career and need to clear hes busy scheduly to coming back oh wait chad did 2 tv movies lol.

7. giokn90 says:

@MattMitovich: Let’s hope they will try to work things out for the series finale.

@Leytonfan: She already said no without a reason last year, this is why they don’t recall her.

8. emma says:

im so surprised chad career is on fire this is really a shocker sure didnt see that coming.Running back to oth after not getting a legit job.

9. Regina says:

I’m actually really glad that Lucas is coming back. No matter how much people like or dislike him he was a huge reason the show was on for so long. I mean the whole show was pretty much about him and nathan so of course they are gonna have him back in the final season. As for Peyton… I don’t think people are really gonna miss her that much haha. They will have a good excuse why she isn’t there on the show. I’m just glad that they are even wrapping up the series properly in the first place. They could have just cancelled it last season and just left it at that. So i’m glad they are giving us a chance to have Lucas back.

10. Jeri says:

No one is as wonderful as CMM thinks he is. I’m disapointed he is returning, even briefly.

11. Kristen says:

CMM returning alone won’t bring me back. Haven’t watched the show since the S6 finale and don’t intend to. Leyton is what kept me coming back after the high school years, and I’m not making a return trip to Tree Hill without a appearance by both Chad AND Hilarie.

12. Kris says:

Had Hilarie come back as well, I would have actually been excited about the ninth season. What crap.

13. Stef says:

So what if Peyton isn’t coming back? GET OVER IT! Lucas is coming back and that’s all that matters! And anyone who is only going to watch Lucas’ episode.. or would only watch if Peyton came back.. obviously you guys aren’t ONE TREE HILL fans.. just Lucas or Peyton fans.. They’ve been gone for awhile and everything has changed. Personally I think it would be stupid to watch just because someone comes back on the show… what’s the point? You obviously won’t have any idea what’s going on. I have been watching One Tree Hill since the very beginning and I would never stop watching for anything. I am a TRUE One Tree Hill fan!

14. D says:

This is the best news ever. I never really liked Peyton, so i couldn’t careless if she on it or not, but boy do i love Hilarie on White Collar her character on that show is the best. I’m so happy he is coming back, this is the best news yet.

15. Nina says:

To me it’s not about Lucas returning without Peyton. I could care less about Leyton. But, I love Peyton as a character and especially her friendship with Brooke. I miss the three girls (Brooke, Peyton, and Haley) together and idk, I just really wanted to see the core five together again. The finale will be incomplete without Peyton, although I am glad they’re bring the rest of the old characters back. I wonder why Karen isn’t coming back, though. But I just really wanted Peyton back! :(

16. tammy grant says:

awwww i wud have loved 2 c peyton n lucas bk as a family like brooke n hayley have there little familys it wud have been nice 4 lucas n peyton to do the same as it all started wiv there love story i hope she cums bk 4 the final

17. Stacie says:

The oth fans are a vocal and passionate group who have worked and campaigned to keep the show on the air. There were 3 main fan groups: Naley, Brucas, and Leyton. For those who love Leyton, their fondest dream and most fervent hope would be to see “their” couple back on the show one last time. Many, many have expressed that desire for the series finale, or during what will be the final season. To hear that half of Leyton will be on the show is a disservice to the fans. Mark should have moved heaven and earth to make this happen for the fans who saved his show more than once!!

18. Priscillia says:

Lucas returnin is of no use without peyton,and if lucas return pls bring sawyer brook scott,atleast it wil make sence.thnkz

19. Ella says:

Um…wow. All the Leyton/brucas drama ended years ago and I just assumed the young girls who couldn’t separate the actress from the character grew up. Instead, we have bitter twenty-somethings and since Peyton got “Brooke’s man” let’s all hate on Hilarie Burton now? I never heard crap about Chad being a cheat with Sophia or Lucas being a cheat for cheating on Brooke. No, it’s only Hilarie/Peyton’s fault always and forever. I never heard anything about Hilarie being fired from OTH. This just sounds like lies told by bitter women. It’s sad that BL fans are obviously still so bitter that Lucas chose Peyton over Brooke and LP fans aren’t happy that their couple drove off into the sunset together. Get a grip you guys. They have lives too…and it’s just a show.

20. Annray says:

Lucas n peyton were meant 4 eachoda bt sm’n always kept coming inbtw dem bt dey finally found their way back n 2 me dat was d peak of dis story line n OTH shud’v ended on dat note bt since it dint den we hv 2 c d evidence dat deir luv lasted n dat wil mean bringing back p.sawyer. Jeez i luved dat girl as mch as i did lucas n if truth b told, therez no point having a lucas witout his peyton!

• Becca says:

Now way. Bruk a lucas waz ment to be 2gedder. Marrk wuz rong an din lisen to MOS of hiz fanz and de show went to crapz after dat. She wuz his preddy gurl. P sawyeer and hilary B r de wooorse. Im a tru BUCAS FANNNN!! YAHHHH!

21. jaychezzy says:

lucas no blondy dam!!! men OTH is going 4cking lame

22. SandyCub says:

Until I saw this I had NO idea that Hilario had a child or was in a relationship with Jeffrey Dean Morgan. I have always liked her/Peyton and love him from Supernatural and Grey’s.

I am glad Chad is coming back! It makes sense especially given he is one of the Scott brothers and part of the main shows relationship sibling wise. I hope it’s for more than one episode. Never made sense to me that they didn’t bring him back or even do like a phone call showing him when Haley was pretty much suicidal after losing her mom! They can explain Hilario not coming back for multiple els (work, pregnant, etc) but it would be great to have them all on the finale! I hope when Lucas comes back he brings Sawyer!

23. reem says:

Chad micheal murray is boyfriend

24. Anthony says:

Okay I’m going to be straight and say that I would of watched Season 9 regardless of whether or not Hilarie or Chad came back. I’m just happy we got a final season to say goodbye to our beloved One Tree HIll. Having characters come back is just the cherry on top.

25. Megan says:

Soo happy he is coming back for the last season! :) I love him and Payton together though! It would be nice if everyone was back for the last time.. I have watched it from the beginning and I wanna see everyone again. Which means Payton and Lucas together! :)

26. Peace says:

There can’t be lucas without peyton

27. Mark shwan I don’t know if that’s how you spell his name lols but he made the mistake of cutting lucas and peyton out of OTH he should make a movie to make up for his mistake and why is lucas only back for one episode its just stupid

28. Esther says:

Bla bla bla y’all. Lucas nd peyton z one of d major reasons y i watch OTH,i missed dem ryt 4rm ssn 6,nd it totally suckz d@ d movie’z gon end widout ‘em, jst suckz!

29. erin says:

Rachel started it all by releasing that time capsule. That’s what set Jimmy Edwards off and made him bring the gun to school in the school shooting did Rachel or jimmy framed dan and for what Rachel and Jimmy did to dan dan turn himself in to the police and should’ve said it was Rachel and Jimmy fault for all of the events in the school shooting

Lucas and Karen Nathan and Deb and everyone in tree hill turned to Anger Fear Guilt and Depression right after the school shooting and especially the family took that out on dan too Dan had bad parents and who knows Royal and May Scott family history

was there supposed to be a One Tree Hill Before the Series Season 0 that would lead to the whole story about the Scott family History Deb’s Lee History Karen and Lucas History and then the series start up with the pilot