Emmys

Emmys 2011: What Should Win Outstanding TV Miniseries or Movie? Take Our Poll!

A controversial biopic, a reimagining of a 1940s Oscar nominee, a dramatization of the U.S. financial crisis, a British period piece, an adaptation of a popular historical novel, and a fictionalized account of the making of the nation’s first “reality” series will do battle for the Emmy for Outstanding TV Miniseries or Movie.

But which of these disparate telecasts deserves top honors when the Emmys are handed out Sept.18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Tomorrow, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honors, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Templar says:

Can’t wait for the next installments of Downton Abbey. Got the DVd and realized that PBS kind of chopped it up a bit.

2. Andi says:

Downton Abbey. Done, and done.

3. Petra says:

Anything associated with Maggie Smith for all the awards.

4. Kelly says:

Downton Abbey!

5. Adrienne says:

Choosing between Downton Abbey and Mildred Pierce was tough, but I had to go with Downtown Abbey. It was truly an event.

6. wordsmith says:

Pillars of the Earth was AMAZING. I’m a big fan of the book, and I wasn’t sure how they were going to pull off such a sweeping epic on screen, but they really found a way to make it work.

7. Chad says:

Downton Abbey!

8. Ben says:

It would be a travesty if Downton Abbey did not win. And yet I fear the fact it is British could count against it.

9. kate says:

Call me ignorant, but wasn’t Pillars nominated last year? Am I missing something?

10. Soso says:

Can I vote Luther ? ^^

11. AS says:

I’ve seen Mildred Pierce, Too Big to Fail, Cinema Verite. None of those shows/movies were great. They all had problems. Mildred Pierce’s 1st 3 parts were great but by the 4th & 5th the relationship between her and her daughter got to be too ridiculous to believe. Too Big to Fail was a complete white wash of the crisis and sympathized with the scum bags who were the ones responsible for the meltdown. And Verite had a few to many cliches to be taken completely seriously.

12. Jen from CT says:

Downton Abbey is about as close to flawless as any TV show can get, I really hope it wins!

13. Gabrielle says:

Downtown Abby is possibly one of the best tv shows I’ve ever seen. From the acting to the storyline tO the musical score. The show is beautiful and I’m in love with the whole family, upstairs and down :)

14. Teresa says:

Downton Abbey… please :)

15. Mafz says:

I didn’t watch Downtown Abbey but i absolutely loved The Pillars of The Earth so that has my vote :D

16. Cady says:

The nominations of ‘Pillars of the Earth’ and ‘The Kennedys’ are proof that this category peaked 20 years ago when miniseries were still creative and innovative. Those two movies were so bad!

• Lois says:

I can’t believe that the crap that is “The Kennedys” got any nominations. The fact that the “Best Actor in a Movie/Miniseries” category has 2 actors from “The Kennedys” and none from “Downton Abbey” is a disgrace. Hugh Bonneville was robbed. But the Emmys don’t have a good record of rewarding brilliant performances from British actors named Hugh.

17. Tego Livi says:

I don’t even know what “Starz” and “Reelz Channel” are. This seems like about as close a lead-pipe cinch as awards shows get. I’ve never been able to figure why they make shows like “Too Big to Fail.” It was relatively boring as a news story–and that was when it was actually happening and affected people’s lives. Who would want to watch people pretending to act it out a year or two later?

18. Matt says:

Loved DOWNTON ABBEY, and of the nominees, it should win, but SHERLOCK got robbed of a nomination in this category.

• Lois says:

True, “Sherlock” should have been nominated instead of “The Kennedys.”

• wordsmith says:

Even though it was only three episodes, I think Sherlock still counts as a series-series, and not a miniseries because they intend to make more. I agree, though, that it does deserve some sort of recognition.

• Ben says:

They are making more Downton Abbey too… I’m not actually sure why it counts as a mini-series as it’s about as long as every British tv season. But there you go.

• not Bridget says:

Yes, I think we have a problem with definitions here. Sherlock & Downton Abbey are both continuing. And Sherlock only had 3 episodes! I loved the original Upstairs Downstairs. So I enjoyed Downton Abbey–& the new Upstairs Downstairs–which will also return.

But Sherlock was amazing–as well as being true to the original stories. So I’m very sad that it was neglected.

19. Jimmy says:

Downton Abbey should win. I went into this series thinking I would hate it, but after only first episode I was hooked. My second choice would be Pillars of the Earth; another slow-burn mini-series with a great cast and writing. Certainly not either of HBO’s snore-fests and The Kennedys should just fade away into oblivion.

20. Cailey says:

Downton Abbey FTW. It’s such an amazing show, and Maggie Smith forever deserves awards.

21. bhm1304 says:

They should have submitted “Spartacus: Gods of the Arena” as a mini series rather than submitted it for Best Drama. There were only six episodes in its abbreviated second season and Lucy Lawless and John Hannah were phenomenal as usual in it. “Pillars of the Earth” wasn’t the best but it wasn’t awful as some suggest. Ian McShane was awesome and so were Hayley Atwel and Eddie Redmayne.

22. Ella says:

What My Heart Wants: Downton Abbey
    What My Head Says: Mildred Pierce
    If Not One of Those, Then Who: The Kennedys

23. Nick says:

Mildred Pierce is the most nominated program of the year for a reason – it was the best program on television this year. Nothing could top it’s beautiful writing, direction, acting, score, scenery, etc. It was a flawless miniseries in every way, and provided viewers with five installments of breathtaking television. To top it all off, it housed one of Kate Winslet’s best performances of her entire career.

24. Laura says:

Downtown Abbey was great but Pillars of the Earth was truly better. I believe if more people had the opportunity to watch “Pillars of the Earth” they may just agree. I’m happy to see the show get the recognition it deserves from the Emmy Committee, the show is worthy of consideration and an award.

25. sue says:

In my mind hands down the kennedys

26. Amber says:

I confess the only thing here I watched was Mildred Pierce, so that’s how it got my vote, but to be fair, it was the only thing I was interested in watching. Kate Winslet did great, and that Guy Pierce…what a dreamboat. Always brilliant. Even with Evan Rachel Wood I didn’t hate the performance. Hated the character, but not the performance.