Emmys

Emmys 2011: What Should Win Outstanding TV Miniseries or Movie? Take Our Poll!

Get More: Awards, Emmys, Polls

A controversial biopic, a reimagining of a 1940s Oscar nominee, a dramatization of the U.S. financial crisis, a British period piece, an adaptation of a popular historical novel, and a fictionalized account of the making of the nation’s first “reality” series will do battle for the Emmy for Outstanding TV Miniseries or Movie.

But which of these disparate telecasts deserves top honors when the Emmys are handed out Sept.18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Tomorrow, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honors, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (37)

• Can’t wait for the next installments of Downton Abbey. Got the DVd and realized that PBS kind of chopped it up a bit.

Comment by Templar – August 28, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Netflix has the full, unedited verson available to watch instantly. :-)

Comment by Superklutz – August 28, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Downton Abbey. Done, and done.

Comment by Andi – August 28, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything associated with Maggie Smith for all the awards.

Comment by Petra – August 28, 2011 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Downton Abbey!

Comment by Kelly – August 28, 2011 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Choosing between Downton Abbey and Mildred Pierce was tough, but I had to go with Downtown Abbey. It was truly an event.

Comment by Adrienne – August 28, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pillars of the Earth was AMAZING. I’m a big fan of the book, and I wasn’t sure how they were going to pull off such a sweeping epic on screen, but they really found a way to make it work.

Comment by wordsmith – August 28, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Downton Abbey!

Comment by Chad – August 28, 2011 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be a travesty if Downton Abbey did not win. And yet I fear the fact it is British could count against it.

Comment by Ben – August 28, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Call me ignorant, but wasn’t Pillars nominated last year? Am I missing something?

Comment by kate – August 28, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You may be thinking of last year’s Golden Globes?

Comment by wordsmith – August 28, 2011 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah, that’s it. Thanks :)

Comment by kate – August 28, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I vote Luther ? ^^

Comment by Soso – August 28, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen Mildred Pierce, Too Big to Fail, Cinema Verite. None of those shows/movies were great. They all had problems. Mildred Pierce’s 1st 3 parts were great but by the 4th & 5th the relationship between her and her daughter got to be too ridiculous to believe. Too Big to Fail was a complete white wash of the crisis and sympathized with the scum bags who were the ones responsible for the meltdown. And Verite had a few to many cliches to be taken completely seriously.

Comment by AS – August 28, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you want to see something truly great, watch Downton Abbey. You won’t be disappointed.

Comment by Lois – August 29, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Downton Abbey is about as close to flawless as any TV show can get, I really hope it wins!

Comment by Jen from CT – August 28, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Downtown Abby is possibly one of the best tv shows I’ve ever seen. From the acting to the storyline tO the musical score. The show is beautiful and I’m in love with the whole family, upstairs and down :)

Comment by Gabrielle – August 28, 2011 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Downton Abbey… please :)

Comment by Teresa – August 29, 2011 03:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t watch Downtown Abbey but i absolutely loved The Pillars of The Earth so that has my vote :D

Comment by Mafz – August 29, 2011 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The nominations of ‘Pillars of the Earth’ and ‘The Kennedys’ are proof that this category peaked 20 years ago when miniseries were still creative and innovative. Those two movies were so bad!

Comment by Cady – August 29, 2011 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t believe that the crap that is “The Kennedys” got any nominations. The fact that the “Best Actor in a Movie/Miniseries” category has 2 actors from “The Kennedys” and none from “Downton Abbey” is a disgrace. Hugh Bonneville was robbed. But the Emmys don’t have a good record of rewarding brilliant performances from British actors named Hugh.

Comment by Lois – August 29, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t even know what “Starz” and “Reelz Channel” are. This seems like about as close a lead-pipe cinch as awards shows get. I’ve never been able to figure why they make shows like “Too Big to Fail.” It was relatively boring as a news story–and that was when it was actually happening and affected people’s lives. Who would want to watch people pretending to act it out a year or two later?

Comment by Tego Livi – August 29, 2011 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved DOWNTON ABBEY, and of the nominees, it should win, but SHERLOCK got robbed of a nomination in this category.

Comment by Matt – August 29, 2011 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True, “Sherlock” should have been nominated instead of “The Kennedys.”

Comment by Lois – August 29, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Even though it was only three episodes, I think Sherlock still counts as a series-series, and not a miniseries because they intend to make more. I agree, though, that it does deserve some sort of recognition.

Comment by wordsmith – August 29, 2011 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They are making more Downton Abbey too… I’m not actually sure why it counts as a mini-series as it’s about as long as every British tv season. But there you go.

Comment by Ben – August 29, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes, I think we have a problem with definitions here. Sherlock & Downton Abbey are both continuing. And Sherlock only had 3 episodes! I loved the original Upstairs Downstairs. So I enjoyed Downton Abbey–& the new Upstairs Downstairs–which will also return.

But Sherlock was amazing–as well as being true to the original stories. So I’m very sad that it was neglected.

Comment by not Bridget – August 29, 2011 07:57 PM PDT
  • Downton Abbey should win. I went into this series thinking I would hate it, but after only first episode I was hooked. My second choice would be Pillars of the Earth; another slow-burn mini-series with a great cast and writing. Certainly not either of HBO’s snore-fests and The Kennedys should just fade away into oblivion.

Comment by Jimmy – August 29, 2011 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Downton Abbey FTW. It’s such an amazing show, and Maggie Smith forever deserves awards.

Comment by Cailey – August 29, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have submitted “Spartacus: Gods of the Arena” as a mini series rather than submitted it for Best Drama. There were only six episodes in its abbreviated second season and Lucy Lawless and John Hannah were phenomenal as usual in it. “Pillars of the Earth” wasn’t the best but it wasn’t awful as some suggest. Ian McShane was awesome and so were Hayley Atwel and Eddie Redmayne.

Comment by bhm1304 – August 29, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What My Heart Wants: Downton Abbey
    What My Head Says: Mildred Pierce
    If Not One of Those, Then Who: The Kennedys

Comment by Ella – August 29, 2011 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mildred Pierce is the most nominated program of the year for a reason – it was the best program on television this year. Nothing could top it’s beautiful writing, direction, acting, score, scenery, etc. It was a flawless miniseries in every way, and provided viewers with five installments of breathtaking television. To top it all off, it housed one of Kate Winslet’s best performances of her entire career.

Comment by Nick – August 30, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Downtown Abbey was great but Pillars of the Earth was truly better. I believe if more people had the opportunity to watch “Pillars of the Earth” they may just agree. I’m happy to see the show get the recognition it deserves from the Emmy Committee, the show is worthy of consideration and an award.

Comment by Laura – August 30, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In my mind hands down the kennedys

Comment by sue – August 30, 2011 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I confess the only thing here I watched was Mildred Pierce, so that’s how it got my vote, but to be fair, it was the only thing I was interested in watching. Kate Winslet did great, and that Guy Pierce…what a dreamboat. Always brilliant. Even with Evan Rachel Wood I didn’t hate the performance. Hated the character, but not the performance.

Comment by Amber – September 9, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post