Fall TV Preview

Community Sneak Peek Video: John Goodman Tells the Dean 'Wassup'

John Goodman has arrived at Greendale, and he’s brought his big, deep, scary voice with him.

As seen in this first teaser for Season 3 of the beloved NBC comedy, Goodman — as Vice Dean Robert Laybourne, the head of Greendale’s nationally acclaimed air conditioning repair school — will almost literally butt heads with Dean Pelton (played by newly promoted series regular Jim Rash, rocking a slightly different look this fall).

More Community Casting Scoops: Party Down Fan Fave, Running Wilde Alum Join Mix

The Emmy- and Golden Globe-winning Goodman is set to make his Community debut in the Season 3 premiere, airing Thursday, Sept. 22 at 8/7c. As previously reported, The Wire‘s Michael Kenneth Williams has also signed on for the show’s junior year as a “very intense” new professor.

Comments (69)

• My favorite show, yet that terrified me a little. But I have faith in you, Harmon!

Comment by Josh – August 28, 2011 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True that! But I do think its going to be amazing. I was a bit apprehensive at first too, but….community can NEVER go wrong!!!

Comment by Harry – August 28, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LOVE TO WATCH JOHN GOODMAN…..NO MATTER WHAT PART HE PLAYS, HE DOES IT SO WELL!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Vivian Weese – August 29, 2011 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The style is different.. Not sure if I like it, but I trust Harmon and the crew.
    (Btw… Jim Rash’s beard is weird.)

Comment by N – August 28, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think its going to be amazing. And Jim Rash’s beard…is weird.

Comment by Pudding – August 28, 2011 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was that scene typical for the show? Never seen it.

Comment by David – August 28, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe not, but it will be pretty amazing anyways. Its community.

Comment by talki – August 28, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for the big song and dance number from that last shot!

Comment by wordsmith – August 28, 2011 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • me neither1!!

Comment by Willy – August 28, 2011 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have no idea in what context that might be, but all I know is that it will be worth watching anyways!!!

Comment by Mill – August 28, 2011 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hm… That makes me worry a little bit. Community is my favourite show and that scene seemed a little off… I’m sure it’ll be good in context.

Comment by Mellie – August 28, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My feelings as well. I wonder if the dean’s regular status is like Chang, meaning he won’t necessarily be in every episode, and it’s more of a title thing. He’s definitely a ‘less is more’ kind of character.

Comment by Josh – August 28, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • First off, Jim Rash is now a season regular, meaning he’ll be in most every episode, if not every episode. That doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be used fully in every episode, but he’ll still be there. As for some of you thinking the scene style is different or being worried because of that fact… I really don’t know why you would be. It’s a little different, yes. But I bet in context of that episode, it’ll be perfect Community.

Comment by Jeanne – August 28, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With the inclusion of two new cast members of course the feel of the show is going to change a little bit, but lets remember that the whole point of community is to examine how people react and change when others come together. I am sure that season 3 is going to be the best yet.

Comment by Patrick – August 28, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think so too. Commuinty can only get better.

Comment by Tina – August 28, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care about all the casting community has been doing. I want to see the stufy group, not the focus on teachers.

Comment by ingrid – August 28, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that the study group will always be the focus. but its nice to have fun new additions too!!

Comment by Gina – August 28, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • amen to that!!!

Comment by Minsky – August 28, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The addition of John Goodman is going to be great IMO along with Omar from the Wire….with some of you nitpicking about little stuff makes me feel ashamed to be apart of the fanbase…no offense, that’s with just about any show I enjoy(especially Fringe)

Comment by Mr. So & So – August 28, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my feelings exactly

Comment by gamei – August 28, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I’m really excieted about Omar coming! And I don’t understand what people are complaining about. It’s just a short teaser at least wait for the entire episode to make a judgment.

Comment by MJ – August 29, 2011 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think its going to be completely awesome

Comment by Raksha – August 28, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know this style is a little different, but its going to totally rock anyways!!

Comment by Jimmy – August 28, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Amazing things never stop being amazing.

Comment by Derek – August 28, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Goodman is coming to Community!! It can be nothing but perfect!!

Comment by Dips – August 28, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I am so totally looking forward to Spetember 22nd!!

Comment by Timara – August 28, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool. Cool. Cool. Cool.

Comment by Matt – August 28, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now, THIS, is what I am talking about.

Comment by Sups – August 28, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People are worrying uselessly. Even if the style is a little changed, its still our FAV show people!! That wont change!!

Comment by Mad – August 28, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Between Gooman and Williams, and the awsomeness of Community, I dobt anything can stop the show from becoming better than EVER!

Comment by Jigs – August 28, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I share your enthusiasm, friend. But I think its Goodman, not Gooman. Goodman and douBt. Wow. Community excitement is reaching fever pitch!!

Comment by Hey – August 28, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OF COURSE its reaching fever pitch! If this doesnt give this sohw a ratings hike, I will know for sure people are dumb

Comment by Hey Back – August 28, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • COMMUNITY FTW!!

Comment by Varsh – August 28, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Indeed.

Comment by Raksha – August 28, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True dat. (Troy Abed handshake)

Comment by Ann – August 28, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This excites me a lot!

Comment by Timothy – August 28, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And……that made my day.

Comment by Brad – August 28, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think that made every person who truly loves Community VERY VERY happy.

Comment by ellis – August 28, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dan Harmon, thou art a genius

Comment by Tim – August 28, 2011 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been waiting so long for this!!

Comment by Ingrid – August 28, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Believe me when I say this…but Youre NOT the only one!! This show is the best thing on TV!!!

Comment by No Name – August 28, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh man! This show rocks!

Comment by Manny – August 28, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The presumably dance number at the end? AWESOMENESS

Comment by Willy – August 28, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right??!!! That is so unlike, and yet like community!! This is amazing, amazing promo! And the adorbaly talented John Goodman is here!! This is what I am talking about!!

Comment by Not Willy – August 28, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fart Knockers!! This is amazing news! I cant wait for the show to return on air!!

Comment by Mike – August 28, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just when I thought Community couldnt possibly get ANY better….it surprises me. Again.

Comment by Penny – August 28, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this show does not get nominated for Emmy for Season 3, which I am sure is going to be the best season yet, then I am NEVER watching the emmys again. I love this show way too much. And i know that my love is well placed. Its the smartest comedy on TV.

Comment by Rachel – August 28, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preach, sister.

Comment by Christina – August 28, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Truer words have never been spoken

Comment by Elvin – August 28, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i’m with ya!! Community was robbed this year

Comment by Amy – August 29, 2011 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy moly!! Me is excited!! Seriously. This show rocks

Comment by Roly – August 28, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • community is amazing. so much better than most of the other comedies on tv right now. keep it up, community makers!!

Comment by Linsay – August 28, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AMAZING PROMO

Comment by Jonhhy – August 28, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If only other sohws were half as good as Community is. Even on its worst-episode-day.

Comment by Mark – August 28, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait to watch Season 3!! This show is so amazingly well made, that no matter what, it always remains a bar above all other shows. I seriously do not get why more people dont watch it. Do they not know about this show? If that’s the case,I feel sorry for them. If they do know about it, but think its not good, then I know that they quite suck.

Comment by Apars – August 28, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE SHOW”S COMING BACK! OMG!!!!!!!! I SERIOUSLY CANNOT WAIT!

Comment by Pinto – August 28, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show.

Comment by Yamara – August 28, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this shw is amazingly good. more should watch this show

Comment by tima – August 28, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it’s an intelligent beast but sometimes their meta-humor is so over the top. “Look how smart we are” – yes, you are very smart but not VERY funny.

Comment by user – August 29, 2011 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • exciting stuff.

Comment by IAN – August 28, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ive never seen this show before, but since Goodman’s in it, I am going to be watching!!

Comment by Goodman – August 28, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^NBC will be happy to hear that.

Community is Awesome! You should really go back and watch the first 2 seasons before this season premieres. If you don’t have time for all 50 episodes, at least watch a few. I recommend the paintball episodes.

I can’t wait for the season 3 paintball episode, even though I know it’s a long way off. I hope they do an all out Gangster/Mobster movie send-up, like a mixture of “The Godfather” “Scarface,” “Goodfellas,”…and maybe “West Side Story” to lighten things up….and “Romeo & Juliet” to work in some romance…I would be so happy if they did something like that.

Comment by Diana – August 28, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ooooohhhh….that’d be awesome! Not Romeo Juliet though…maybe something like..Julius Caesar or something….Cant Wait!!!

Comment by Raksha – August 29, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SPOILERS

Pierce was out of the group in s2 finale, but now he’s back? He was obviously going to return, but I think it’s interesting that he’s in the promo.

Comment by Wait- – August 28, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You had me at the first rectum.

Comment by ultimate troll – August 29, 2011 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First I’d like to say….POP POP!!!

Comment by S.Nic – August 29, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post