Emmys

Emmys 2011: What Show Should Win Outstanding Comedy Series?

The last three series to score the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series — The Office (2006), 30 Rock (2007-2009), and Modern Family (2010) — are all in the running to take home the big prize again in 2011. To add another checkmark to the win column, though, they’ll have to fight off first-time nominees The Big Bang Theory and Parks and Recreation, as well as Glee (nominated previously in 2010).

Which comedy series deserves top honors when the Emmys are handed out Sept.18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Tomorrow, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honors, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Jacob says:

People do realize The Big Bang Theory is only funny because they bombard you with laugh track at unnecessary moments, right? Sheldon mentions something “nerdy?” Laugh Track! Raj proclaims his love for something decidedly feminine? Laugh Track! Howard’s mom says anything? Laughter City! The only real comedy comes b/w Penny and Sheldon. Everything else is just noise covered in even more noise.

• Alan says:

Exactly. I don’t understand BBT, its not that creative or funny. I find myself only laughing once or twice sometimes when watching an episode. Doesn’t deserve to be nominated. Even Two and Half Men is funnier.

2. Cana says:

To everyone sayIng it’s Always sunny in Philadelphia should be up for an Emmy this year. I respectfully disagree. Not that I do not like the show because I do.it’s one of my favorite shows on TV, but season 6 was it’s worst season. They had only one strong episode. Who got Dee pregnant? I love the show but this was not it’s best year. Out of all the shows nomminated I think it should go to parks and Rec. Season 3 of parks and rec was perfect. Every episode was constiantly funny. It also showcased the talent of the writers and cast. I think modern family or glee will win because of the hype both shows have. I not think glee should be considered. Its not much of a comedy. I would put modern family in second place. 30 rock in third place even though season 5 was not it’s best. The writing is still good. The office in 4th because it had some amazing episodes. And Steve carell will be gone this year and the show will not be the same. Glee and the big bang theory are in last place for me.

• Sam says:

I thought this was certainly one of the stronger seasons of Sunny. The Gang buys a boat is by far my favourite episode of Sunny and has its best line as well: “So what you want is some kind of P Diddy style shrimping vessel?” It started poorly, I’ll admit (I hate when Sunny tries to have continuity or plot), but I thought that there were some great episodes between the pool and the boat and Lethal Weapon. Not the best season but certainly better than almost everything else on tv last year. I have Community and Archer ahead of it.

3. Annabelle says:

Jordan, are you kidding me?! You say “I’m the biggest Glee fan around.” Then you diss it? You’re a sucky fan, that’s for sure. If Glee doesn’t win this, we know the world is becoming stupider & stupider every day. ALL THE OTHER SHOWS ARE BLAND & REPETIVE. At least Glee has something new to offer. A show that brings back classic songs & has an amazing storyline that shows people all the cliques & groups of high school & has an outstanding cast that manages to make you laugh at every line?I’m sorry but that deserves an award way more than shows about Community College & wor

• LOL says:

Wow you have horrible taste.

• Jordan says:

Cheesus Crust you’re an ass. I love Glee, I have the posters and all the DVDs and I have every song on my ipod. The light of it is what’s basically kept me from committing suicide recently. I’ll always watch it and love it, but I can at least admit that it’s not nearly as well written or hilarious as most of the other shows nominated. I can get behind the acting nominations for Chris Colfer, Jane Lynch, Dot Marie-Jones and even Gwyneth Paltrow, because they’re individualy great, but the show’s not award-worthy as a whole.

I would have replied sooner but I’m kind of getting over what hurricane Irene did to my house and town.

4. Josh says:

For Me, its between The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family, . Big Bang is very funny and appeals to alot of people. Modern is te sane with Familys everywhere watching it, but it has gone down Alot this season. Glee doesn’t appeal to Alot of people, and it has Alot ” Closeted Gleeks” . 30 Rock Doesn’t Stand out but it has the best ensemble cast. The Office is very funny but also an underdog, butt may win because its Steve Carrel Last Season. Park and Recreations is funny , and has gotten a great boost woth Rob Lowe .

5. MB says:

I’m disappointed Community wasn’t nominated. Season 2 had weak episodes like the ones about Shirley’s baby but it had amazing ones like the halloween special and the KFC Space simulator. The season finale was pretty funny too. I think that Modern Family, Parc & Rec and The Big Band theory deserve to win. I watched the second season of Glee and it made me lost faith in the show completely. It has an avalanche of pointless guest star’s characters like Paltrow and Charice; had a boring and a poorly done plot with the Dalton arc that concluded in a disappointing way; was filled with pointless top 10 music hits that were poorly meshed in the storyline; was filled with way too many thematic episode; characters personalities changed way too many times and the show wasn’t as funny and great as the first season.

6. Teresa says:

P&R has been the best of the last season… but it won´t win, we all know.

7. ana muller says:

What the hell? Community is not on the list? I am so pissed right now.

8. Amber says:

The one that’s not even nominated: Raising Hope. Glee doesn’t deserve to be in the category this year.

9. MK204 says:

Other than Modern Family, I don’t watch any of those shows. The comedies I watch which were totally overlooked are Hot In Cleveland, Happily Divorced and Melissa and Joey. YES you heard me right…Melissa and Joey. It’s actually a very funny show.

10. matt says:

The best comedy last year was Breaking In, but Community was a close second
    The best comedy in how long its endured creatively is The Office.
    The comedy that had it’s best season last year that’s on this list is Parks and Rec.
    Glee is not the worst thing ever but the 2nd season was much worse than the first – mostly because it became the Kurt show and he’s a spoiled, selfish jerk – not the star.

11. Matthew P says:

Arrested Development should win.

12. Justin says:

To me, its a definite toss-up between Modern Family and Parks and Recreation. Modern Family was better the first time around, but just barely. Parks and Recreation recently had its best season. Both are just so good that as long as either one won, I’d be very happy.

13. Tvfan says:

30 rock: idk this show sounds lame
    Modern family: sounds lame
    Glee: drama not really a comedy
    Parks and Rec: saw 1 episode but got bored
    The office: awesome show
    The big bang theory: Another amazing show

Community should of been nominated for best comedy cause that show is so funny.
    Overall I think The big bang theory or The office should win :)

14. Rachel says:

P&R should win. Modern Family will win.

15. user says:

Comedy is a tricky thing. We all laugh at different things. But this category has 2 shows that work for me on every level: Parks&Rec and 30 Rock.

16. N says:

Community. Oh, Wait.

17. Iggi says:

SHOULD win: Parks and Recreation.
    WILL win: Modern Family.

And it sucks.

18. mars says:

1. Big Bang Theory
    2. Parks & Rec (close second!)
    3. Modern Family & 30 Rock
    4. The Office

Glee somewhere on the bottom.

19. Benjamin says:

I think it depends on the episodes that the shows submitted.

20. S. from A. says:

Parks and Recreation simply has to win!!! BBT is probably my favourite TV show on the air right now, but mainly due to their great first 3 season. Season 4 was a little bit weak, but holy crap on a cracker, the third season of Parks and Recreation was simply brilliant. Probably the best season of any comedy show I have ever watched. Every single episode was brilliant and I have seen some of the episodes about ten times and I am still laughing out loud every single time I rewatch them.
    And Community got robbed… again o.O especially with The Office being nominated, who had a solid, but not outstanding season.

21. max says:

ahh community for comedy
    n fringe for drama

22. Helena says:

Community should win even though it was not nominated. (Yes, I know that is impossible.) It is the only show that consistently makes me laugh.

“Critical Film Studies” was amazing – and that alone should have gotten it the nod.

23. Vixela says:

TEAM COMMUNITY!

However, since it isn’t nominated, the equally amazing Parks and Rec is what I voted for.

24. Sam says:

The Nominees should really be:
    1. Community
    2. Archer
    3. It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia
    4. Childrens Hospital
    5. Party Down
    6. Parks & Recreation
    It is a crime and a major indictment on the emmys being a popularity contest rather than based on quality that only one of these shows got nominated.

25. Amber says:

I begrudgingly vote for Modern Family here because Community really was the best comedy last year. I do think MF is the best out of the actual nominees, but I still feel some bitterness towards the show for taking up 4 valuable best supporting actor spots, edging out MVPs like Nick Offerman, Danny Pudi, and Donald Glover. So I would be cool with Parks and Rec winning, or even The Big Bang Theory or The Office. I can’t get behind 30 Rock or Glee winning though. I realize I am the only person in the world that thinks this, but I thought 30 Rock had its worst season last year. The only funny thing I saw on it all year was the Aaron Sorkin cameo. I was really disappointed because I used to love that show. And that goes triple for Glee. It went from being brilliant and hilarious in its first season to being a huge pile of stinky dog poo in its 2nd season. At this point it is nothing more than a crappy, cheesy after-school special, and it shouldn’t win.

26. Bree says:

Parks and Rec needs to win. Last season was pretty awesomesauce. (That’s what makes the sauce so awesome!)
    I love watching Glee, but it should not be nominated.
    I’m completely okay with Modern Family winning too.

27. Kamilla says:

Parks was the best this year, but Modern Family was almost equally as good and will repeat win again this year.

28. Stephen S. says:

30 Rock sucks now. Can’t believe it’s still getting nominated. It’s nothing more than a desperate former shadow of itself.

For me it was really close between Modern Family and Parks and Recreation. But I went with Modern Family.

Shame that Community and Cougar Town weren’t nominated.

29. lydia says:

I think all of these shows are entertaining enough. But to me, Parks & Recreation is LITERALLY perfect. The show is smart and witty without being pretentious, can do slapstick without being silly, and can do dry without being cynical. I just absolutely adore the happiness and optimism it exudes. Even characters I’d probably hate in real life like Tom and Ron are so lovable on this show. Most of the characters are ridiculous but none of them make me want to roll my eyes–they stop just a step before they reach the point of discomfort. In these ways, it is so nuanced and so much precision goes into crafting it, it deserves any praise it gets. Also, I kind of wonder if people who say they don’t like Parks & Rec have only seen the first season? Because Seasons 2 and 3 are practically a different show in my eyes.

30. Regainer says:

Me personally, I don’t watch a whole lot. Seen (and somewhat enjoyed) a little Glee. Don’t hate it, but it can get a little too corny for me at points (particularly with Rachel). I hear a lot about 30 Rock, although I’ll admit I haven’t really seen enough to make a good call on it. I haven’t seen Parks and Rec., so I’ll leave that alone for people who have opinions on it that matter. I do really enjoy The Office, although I watch it irregularly and randomly; although I think it deserves Best Lead (for Steve Carrel, before he leaves) more than Best Comedy. I’ve seen a little Modern Family, and while it didn’t blow me away, it seems like a good show; and like it might upset most categories. I love The Big Bang Theory, although I’m somewhat of a nerd myself. I’d love if it could get one win, any win. As much as I like it, I don’t think it deserves a sweep. One award and I’m happy.
    That’s my view.

31. nate says:

I watch The Office purely out of loyalty now, I agree with everyone about Glee not deserving it, TBBT probably has the most dumbed down humor of all the shows (ironinc, huh?), and 30 Rock and Parks and Rec were great. Too bad Community kinda let me down.