Emmys

Emmys 2011: What Show Should Win Outstanding Comedy Series?

The last three series to score the Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series — The Office (2006), 30 Rock (2007-2009), and Modern Family (2010) — are all in the running to take home the big prize again in 2011. To add another checkmark to the win column, though, they’ll have to fight off first-time nominees The Big Bang Theory and Parks and Recreation, as well as Glee (nominated previously in 2010).

Which comedy series deserves top honors when the Emmys are handed out Sept.18? Take our poll below to vote for your favorite — TVLine voting closes Sept. 10, so act now! — then hit the comments to justify your pick!

Tomorrow, we’ll launch another “Who Should Win” Emmy poll, so come back to TVLine.com to weigh in on who’s most worthy of TV’s biggest honors, and to stay up to speed on all our races, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Sam says:

The best comedy last year was Community.
    The best comedy in how long its endured creatively is 30 Rock.
    The comedy that had it’s best season last year that’s on this list is Parks and Rec.
    The worst thing ever is Glee.

• Raksha says:

Truer owords have never been spoken

• Emma says:

Yes, spot on.

• 801 says:

co-signed

• Delon says:

Hear hear!

• kewi says:

Couldn’t agree more with you.

Parks and Recreation had such a phenomenal year. I’ve always been a fan of the show, but the last season truly showed how talented the writers and actors are – every character and every storyline was the best it’s ever been.

• Asha says:

I agree! I was super stoked to see that Parks and Rec was in the lead in this poll when I voted. I hope that the Emmy voters reward the amazing, unbelievably consistent year the show had. When the second episode of the season was quite literally so funny it brought tears to my eyes, I thought that there was no way any episodes later in the season would match it. Little did I know, every single episode was truly top quality. I can’t even think of one weak episode from this season of Parks and Rec.

• Me says:

Glee is not the worst thing ever. Glee is wonderful. It’s a show that brings attention to the importance of Arts programs in schools. It’s a show that celebrates the underdog. It’s a show that gives a voice to those of us that were bullied and picked on and put down and felt left out in school. It gives a voice to those of us who found our voice through music and drama. I see myself in the characters on Glee.

And Jane Lynch is a wonderful funny actress who has created a marvelous villain. One of the best villains on tv.

• Sam says:

Just because the subject matter is great (and it is), it doesn’t excuse the poor execution. Glee could be great if they created characters instead of caricatures. The reason so many people relate to the students on Glee is because they’re painted with such broad strokes. Where’s the human personalities? They don’t exist.

• mike says:

Some of the characters on Glee are definitely caricatures – Sue Sylvester, for example. But others, such as Artie, Mercedes, and Kurt are inspiring to many young people watching the show. If you want to calk about caricatures, how about TBBT?? I’ve watched that show several times, but I just don’t get it. Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, and the rest of the them are such stereotypes with nothing new to add.

• TigerNightmare says:

At least The Big Bang Theory is actually funny. Anyone who votes for Glee in the best comedy category is clearly a stranger to laughter. And for the record, I find more familiarity in the characters of Big Bang than I do on Glee. Does anyone know a Kurt or a Rachel? I know lots of Sheldons and plenty of Leonards and such.

• Deena says:

Lol, can’t say much for a “Kurt” but I definitively knew a Rachel Berry in highschool. I watch BBT and the characters are one dimensional and stereotypical. BBT dosen’t deserve to be nominated either, this season was hardly Emmy worthy.

• Jenny says:

I knew a Rachel Berry in high school. The real problem with Glee in this category is that it isn’t a real true comedy like the others are. It is a mixture of both comedy/drama. It best moments this season were the dramatic ones and not the comedic ones.

• dan says:

Kurt is a horrible caricature in so many ways. He’s gay, so he must be effeminate and wear women’s clothes and love Broadway show tunes. What kind of message does that send to kids, that being gay means you’re a cliche?

To be fair, they actually make him a character central to the action, which helps. And he also has personality flaws, which make him seem more like a real character. So it’s not all bad, but still …

Glee is filled with slopping writing. The show can be enjoyable, but they don’t deserve an Emmy.

• Michael says:

@dan There often is a huge difference between stereotype and caricature. Kurt is stereotypical in some ways but his character has depth…that doesn’t make him a caricature. What’s wrong with stereotype? There are THOUSANDS of Streisand-loving, friends-of-Dorothy teenagers who are abused and bullied on a daily basis. Kurt does serve as inspiration to them.

• Sam says:

Are you seriously claiming Kurt (supergay) and Mercedes (superblack) are not caricatures? Mercedes especially is just every sassy black woman on tv since the 90s.

• HA says:

I work in a gay bar. I know LOTS of Kurts.

• Sue says:

No human personalities??? Did you see the episode where Kurt’s dad almost died? Did you see the episode where Sue’s sister died? Did you see the episode where Kurt was voted prom queen? How about the scenes where it comes out that Santana is a lesbian and is in love with Britney and you find out her mean streak is covering up her pain? and for those saying it isn’t funny… Jayne Lynch, Gweneth, Britney, the counselor, Lauren…. all characters that are very very very funny.

Honestly though, I really think that the Emmys need a dramedy category. For shows like Glee or Gilmore Girls that have both humor and drama.

• Puckleberry says:

I’m a gleek, but I realize season 2 was not that good. There was more drama than comedy. Jane Lynch is great, granted. Still her character was badly written for most part of the season. I hope we’ll get a much better show next season. In the meantime, we have to accept glee doesn’t deserve to win (yup, breaks my heart to admit it).

• Dash says:

I’ve always thought that Glee should start submitting itself in the drama category. It’s not very funny and it tends to be heavy handed on the drama rather than comedy.

• Me says:

Not funny? Jayne Lynch? Britney “dolphins are just gay sharks”. Come on. The show is hysterical. Just becuase it’s not laughs for entire episodes doesn’t mean it’s not funny.

• N says:

Sorry, can’t buy all of the “Love yourself!” thing. It’s easy for the cast to say this as long as they look like Hollywood Superstars. and if we judge the series by it’s writing & acting and such, it sucks.

• Brady says:

When did glee become a comedy?

• Heather says:

Community? Not this year. Season two sucks.

• JenR says:

Did you not see the clip show? Best use of the clip show format ever. Hilarious!

• Vivi says:

I liked that the clips show wasn’t clips that we had already seen. I usually really really hate clips shows. I always feel like they are not very rewarding for fans (do we really need to waste an episode rehashing?) but Community made a clips show of NEW clips that were all hilarious. That being said, I think the first season of Community was better than the second BUT the second season was still better than 95% of the comedies on tv.

• Nicole says:

I thought the clip show was brilliant, and completely Emmy-worthy. But, if I’m voting for overall season/show, I’m going to have to go with Parks and Rec, but just barely.

• Chuck says:

I love you, sir

• Amy says:

i completely agree…

• Tajah says:

Community definitely is the best comedy and should have been nominated. I also agree that Parks and Rec was great last season. They get my vote!

• Bear75 says:

I hear ya x

• Mike says:

While I do agree with your comments I just think “it’s” hysterical that you used both versions of its/it’s in that commentary and got them both wrong! LOL (even intended to use the more it HAS version of it’s) I know we all do it, just thought it was funny that you didn’t catch yourself either time. :-)

2. Matt says:

Incredibly hard category.

I wish I could split my vote between ModFam, Parks & Rec and 30 Rock :(

3. carolinagirl says:

I have just begun a marathon watching of The Big Bang Theory after never having seen an episode and all I can say is WHY HAVE I NEVER WATCHED THIS! I am just starting season four and this is the funniest comedy I have seen in years. I watch the other shows nominated with the exception of The Office (for some reason I just can’t seem to get in to it. So I am pulling for BBT.

4. wmcc520 says:

The best comedy wasn’t even nominated….Cougar Town!!!!

5. Justin says:

Parks and Rec all the way. Modern Family and 30 Rock had good seasons as well, but nothing is better or funnier than Parks and Rec. I don’t hate Glee as much as most here, but it certainly doesn’t deserve to win anything. The Big Bang Theory I find to be terribly over-rated. I have trouble watching that show for some reason. It might be the laugh-track old style type of jokes they do. And The Office was decent last season, but throwing their hat in the ring is just a joke.

6. Lucy Quinn says:

Definitely a toss up between Modern Family and Parks & Recreation! Both had outstanding seasons. Normally, I would say 30 Rock, but I was completely unimpressed with it this season.

If this was last year and Glee still only had the first thirteen episodes, I would have totally wanted it to win.

7. Buffy Freak says:

Modern Family and 30 Rock both had pretty good seasons but not as good as their Emmy winning seasons. Parks and Recreation is actually getting better and better. The other three? Meh. So P&R all the way!

8. Mehdi says:

Glee or Parks And Recreation. But Modern boring family will win =(.

9. Kate says:

I’m torn between Modern Family and Big Bang Theory. I love those two shows. I’ve never gotten around to watching Parks & Rec, though I keep thinking I should.

10. Junior says:

Parks & Rec FTW!!! I love Modern Family & Louie, but Parks had a phenomenal year, and it should be recognized, even though it’s a longshot to take the prize.

11. João Amaral says:

best comedys last year were Community and Cougar Town, the best one on this list is P&R.

12. Kendal says:

In my heart of hearts, Parks & Rec deserves it but I’d still love to see Glee win. We all know Modern Family has it. Fair enough, a Golden Globe or a SAG. Not an Emmy…

13. David says:

Big Bang Theory should NOT have been nominated this year in what was easily its worst season. Parks and Rec or 30 Rock for the win.

14. Me says:

Community! Oh wait.

Parks and Rec hands down!

15. Alex says:

Community, Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Modern Family – in that order.

• Jamie says:

I will never understand why It’s Always Sunny doesn’t get more notice. It is so brilliant in its absurdity – definitely a much smarter and better executed comedy than something like Glee.

• Asha says:

I think Always Sunny is just really vulgar and not everyone can find humor in the absurdity. I think it deserves some recognition, especially for Charlie Day, who is excellent.

16. A tough one for me- between Modern Family and The Big Bang Theory. But I really hope that Jim Parsons bags another win this year for the lead actor in a Comic Series. He is outstanding-with flawless dialogue delivery,great coordination with the supporting casts, and superb expressions-a modern-day marvel.

17. Jordan says:

I’m the biggest Glee fan around, I practically worship it. But I don’t think it’s a fantastic show, just an important one.

So Parks and Recreation gets my vote on this.

18. ddutchie88 says:

I’m a major gleek, but let’s be honost, season two was kind of a trainwreck. It had a few perfect episodes, but it wasn’t nearly as consistantly brilliant as PARKS & RECREATION! Amy Poehler is awesome sauce.

so here’s my list:
    1. Parks (see above)
    2. Modern Family (many laugh out loud moments this year)
    3. Glee (it has so much heart and so many lovable characters)
    4. The Big Bang Theory (I really loved this season. I place it fourth, but really, I still think it wouldn’t be undserved if they won)

I didn’t watch The Office or 30 Rock this year.

19. Soso says:

#1 Parks and Rec !!
    #2 Modern Family
    #3 30 Rock
    #4 The Office
    #5 The Big Bang Theory
    #6 Glee
    Community, The Big C and It’s Always Sunny in Philly should be on that list !!

20. Sourabh says:

Modern Family deserved it last year, Parks and Recreation does this year.
    30 Rock and The Office weren’t bad, but didn’t earn it.
    Big Bang Theory is good fun, albeit with a laugh track, but it deserves no more than a nomination.

• yes! says:

AGREEEEEEEED. Parks and Recreation had a PERFECT season. If the universe was a fair and decent place, it would win all the awards.

• Katie says:

“Glee. I cannot stress how much I don’t want to see the word Emmy anywhere near it, except after the words ‘failed to secure even a single nomination for an’.”

It’s hard for me to take comments like this seriously. Because it’s one thing to not think a show is funny (the way I feel about P&R), but it’s quite another to have hate for it. Which I don’t think for a second has anything to do with the writing or acting, just people getting irritated because of its immense popularity. People are always like that. They see something that a TON of other people love, and feel like it’s not enough to just dislike it – they have to match passionate adoration with passionate hatred. I couldn’t care less about the Twilight series, but it’s a good example. Something a ton of people love, that is absolutely despised by others.

If it was JUST about the talent of those involved, people would simply feel lukewarm about it.

Personally, I loved season two, and thought it was much better than the first season. The Kurt-bullying storyline took an incrediable turn (which I realize has nothing to do with comedy), and Brittany is always hilarious.

• Potch says:

I love this post. I couldn’t agree more. I’ve never understood the vehement hatred and time people spend on things they dislike. I would rather spend my time talking about things that I love.

21. Lacey says:

I want Modern Family or The Big Bang Theory to win, but I’m ok with P&R winning. The Office was nominated only b/c it was Steve Carell’s last year, it’s not that funny anymore. Glee is a guilty pleasure but Ryan Murphy can’t seem to make up his mind whether the show is a drama or comedy. Glee being nominated while other good shows, like community, are left off the list is an insult to the category.

22. Don says:

2. Modern Family
    3. Modern Family
    4. Modern Family
    5. Modern Family
    6. Parks and Recreation

23. Renee says:

I’ll make it simple. As long as Glee or 30 Rock DOESN’T win, I’m good. All the others would be acceptable.

24. Ali walk says:

Big Bang Theory. I find it difficult to even consider another show for the Emmy. Each member of the cast is perfect in their role and the dialogue and storylines are so clever.

25. Captain says:

I feel like Big Bang Theory is long overdue but at the same time, I relly want Glee to win. It’s recieved a lot of crap for its uneven season but I think creatively it hit much greater highs this year than it did in Season 1. They really found a great dynamic with the cast this year and the episodes I really loved are some of my favourite in the series. I can name 14 episodes from this season that were truly great, I don’t know if I can say the same for Season 1.

26. matt says:

The Middle, Community and Cougar Town should be on the list. However, I found myself laughing at Modern Family more than any other comedy on this list. Also, I am still catching up on BBT on DVD, so can’t comment on this past season.

27. TvFan says:

Toss-up between Parks&Rec and Modern Family. Both provided laugh-out moments every episode. 30 Rock was a snooze-fest this year; The Office seemed tired; BBT was inconsistent, & Glee was enjoyable but is more of a dramedy. Final Pick: Parks & Rec

28. lila says:

the fact that glee was nominated in the first place is mind boggling

29. Lily says:

I really don’t understand why Glee is even nominated. The show is mediocre at best and if it weren’t for the music it wouldn’t have half the hype. Truly deserving shows such as Community and It’s Always Sunny got shafted for this. Sickening.

Anyway, out of the nominated shows I think Parks & Recreation are most deserving this year.

30. fish! says:

“Community” should be here!!!
    Among the six, only “Parks and Recreation” hit a consistent creative upswing.
    “Modern Family” will definitely win because of the hype, but there were a bit of misses this year that only “Parks and Recreation” managed to make into hits. :(

31. Spyder23 says:

PARKS AND RECREATION. ANYTHING ELSE IT”S A THEFT!

32. chris says:

The show louie should be on this list. It is by far the smartest and funniest show on tv today.

33. Person says:

Anything but Glee – it isn’t even funny. Modern Family takes my vote.

34. Elizabeth says:

Parks & Rec!!! It had an amazing, extremely funny season. Loved it!

Please don’t give it to Glee. There is no way on God’s green earth that show was the most outstanding comedy series this past tv season. Not even close.

Community should have been nominated 100x over than Glee imho.
    Modern Family will most likely win. Predictable.

35. Hannah says:

Community should be in for 30 Rock. I’ll give 30 Rock its props for being creative for this long but it just isn’t as good as it use to be. Honestly, none of these shows except Parks and Rec deserved to win. Modern Family is becoming overrated to me, its good but not as good as its first season, 30 Rock was uneven this season, The Big Bang Theory still isn’t there yet and Glee has no comment. I get why Glee is nominated, the Emmy’s want better ratings (what better way to do this than to force an appearance by Lea Michele and her backup singers) and I don’t nesecarily like Glee but I don’t understand the hate considering so many shows and comedies listed here were uneven with their season as well.

Unfortunetly, I think—I know Modern Family will win, but I think that’s really unfair. Its overrated and Parks and Rec deserve to win over them, but it won’t happen.

36. Eric says:

Blah, blah, blah. Glee is to preachy, but to me fair its always been an after school special. I have to agree though, its not the worst thing ever. I don’t get all the hate. No other comedy listed here is as popular as Glee. Its probally easy to hate something on top. I understand many people feel Community should have taken Glee’s spot. But Community just isnt that good, The Office nor 30 Rock should’ve been nominated this year. The Emmy’s is a popularity contest, I lost all respect for their awards after seeing all the snubs and underserved noms in the Drama catergories. The Emmy’s is more concerned with ratings.

• Buffy Freak says:

If the Emmys went by ratings then crap like Three and a Half Men, Bleep My Dad Says, How I Met Your Mother, Rules of Engagement, Mr. Sunshine, The Cleveland Show or Mike and Molly would have been nominated instead of Parks and Recreation or 30 Rock. And Modern Family is at least as popular, if not more so, than Glee.

37. MandalayMai says:

Parks and Rec all the way! See the above link for my reasons why!

38. Ruby says:

I hope Wilfred is on this list next year. Funniest show I have EVER seen.

39. Shirley says:

I voted for Parks & Rec because Community didn’t make it. And Glee? Seriously? The show is so ridiculous it shouldn’t even be nominated in the first place.

40. Henry says:

Glee isn’t that bad, I understand its easier to hate a show than like it. It must be frustrating for a show which is still relatively new get more press and hype than any of these other comedies. Community isn’t funny to me, its mediocre at best. The Big Bang Theory did not have good season, but I feel people root for this show. Cougar Town should have been nominated. The Emmys no longer award or even nominate ‘the best in television’.

• Jamie says:

While Glee isn’t the worst show on television, I think all of this “Glee hate” comes from the fact that it really isn’t good enough to be nominated for an Emmy. You are right that it “isn’t bad” – it is watchable and maybe you will laugh a few times and feel badly for the characters, but what is really keeping that show afloat is the singing. Without it, it would have died halfway through the first season due to stock caricature characters, uneven writing and character development, and bad acting (while the likes of Jane Lynch are fantastic, does Ryan Murphy really think his male lead should be played by Cory Monteith?).
      And I’m sorry but Cougar Town is nowhere near “the best in television”. Something with intelligent and creative humor like It’s Always Sunny should have actually been nominated.

• Henry says:

But honestly, half of these shows “aren’t good enough to be nominated for an Emmy”. BBT, 30 Rock and The Office did not have Emmy worthy seasons. Glee has always had uneven writing, no character development and bad acting(ahem, Dianna Agron, not Cory)since season 1. I thought that was obvious, I think Glee just got over hyped and its expectations were set to high after a successful first season. It’s unfair to say Glee would be nothing without the music because music is a format and staple of the show. The characters are in a “Glee” club, music is a necessary. You can’t have Friday Night Lights without football. You can’t have Glee without music.

But totally agree with you about Its Always Sunny, sadly this nor Louie will ever win.

• D says:

I agree with you. It’s like The Oscars deciding to just have a [Best Movie of the Year] category instead of splitting the films into [Best Comedy] and [Best Drama]. Before they did that, crappy movies were being nominated because they never had enough quality comedies to fill the slots.

Fortunately, the comedy genre is stronger in television, but the good shows rarely make the cut. In order of nomination deservingess:

1.Parks and Recreation (should win)
          2.Community (not as consistent as #1, but more creative)
          3.Modern Family (a well-executed traditional sitcom)
          4.Louie
          5.Archer
          6.Cougar Town
          ******Nomination**Cutoff*********************************
          7.It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
          8.Curb Your Enthusiasm
          9.Childrens’ Hospital
          10.30 Rock
          11.The Office
          12.Big Bang Theory
          13.How I met your mother
          14.Glee

41. cjazzle says:

Parks & Rec SHOULD WIN,
    Big Bang Theory COULD (tiny possibility) UPSET…
    …Modern Family, which WILL WIN.
    the rest are not even within striking distance.

me thinks BBT might be in the running this year because of a mixture of Jim Parson’s win last year and having Mayim Bialik guest star this season (which was genius btw).

42. Eyan says:

Ugh, none of these shows except P&R, deserve to be nomimated. All of them are overrated or inconsistent.

43. AJL says:

It sickens me that Modern Family is pretty much a secure lock for a win. MF was clearly so inconsistent this year. Do we all really think Cameron falling into a kiddie pool is that funny, that creative?

I have seen every episode of MF, and each episode pales in comparison to the heart and humor that make Parks and Recreation the best comedy on TV.

I’d like to think the reason why such shows like Parks and Community are under-rated, and MF and Glee are over-rated, is because the Emmys are all about politics = ratings. But 30 Rock, despite its comparably lower ratings, was able to get its Emmy love in seasons’ past. So yes, I have no idea.

• Danny says:

That is such a load of crap. Mad Men has won three years in a row and it’s ratings suck. Bryan Cranston won Best Actor three years in a row and BB’s numbers are even worse. Ratings have little to nothing to do with it. It’s all about critical perception.

• AJL says:

YO man, I’m speaking about NETWORK shows. All your examples are cable shows. There’s a huge difference.

• Sam says:

To be fair, you never used the word “network” in your original post. Also, I’m not sure that’s even true. Why are CBS shows never winning Best Comedy or Best Drama? I think that might be true for like CW (or even Fox) shows, which would suggest it’s more about the network than the ratings.

44. Diogo says:

Oh well I’ve only watched Modern Family and Glee… Although I think Modern Family will win, I hope that Glee gets the Emmy, because the episodes submitted were probably the best ones in season 2… I don’t think that Modern Family was that good like it was last year’s… Furthermore, it is sufice to say that Sofia Vergara has the most annoying character in television.
    However I think that P&R can get the win as well… I’ve read the reviews and they were pretty good…

45. Nate says:

Of these nominations, Parks and Recreation is the best. It hit its stride in season three. I didn’t catch much 30 Rock but I assume that it was its usual solid self. Modern Family to me seemed more sitcom-y than last year but it’s still amusing. The good days of The Office are long gone. Glee isn’t a comedy. Big Bang Theory is a painfully unfunny show that features one dimensional caricatures that are only there for the audience to point and laugh at and should never be nominated for anything.

Community got screwed. Hard.

46. Linda says:

PARKS & RECREATION ALL THE WAY!! :) And why the f*ck is Glee nominated??

47. Eyan says:

@Buffy. Besides, Two and A Half Men and HIMYM those other shows don’t have good press or ratings. Don’t watch Glee, and am a HUGE Modern Family fan but even I can agree I don’t understand all the hate. And unfortunetly, I can concur there is no way MF is as popular as Glee.

48. Amy says:

Parks and Rec should win!!! It is the funniest show on TV. Absolutely brilliant every week. But if Big Bang won I would still be happy.

49. Big D says:

The Big Bang Theory is far and away the best and funniest comedy on TV.

50. Amy says:

Community all the way! Oh wait… this category was a big let down