A&E Picks Up Katee Sackhoff Drama Longmire

Get More: News, Series Orders

It’s official: Katee Sackhoff is returning to TV.

A&E has given a 10-episode, first season order to Longmire, an hour-long Western-themed drama starring Matrix actor Robert Taylor as the show’s titular charismatic, dry-witted Wyoming sheriff. Sackhoff will play Vic, one of his deputies.

The series, based on the Walt Longmire Mystery series of novels by Craig Johnson, also stars Cassidy Freeman (Smallville) as Longmire’s daughter, Lou Diamond Phillips (Numb3rs) as his best friend, and Bailey Chase (Saving Grace) as another deputy.

Comments (21)

• I was excited until you said it was a cop drama.

Comment by Danny Robertson – August 26, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely get where you’re coming from but this is by no means your typical network cop drama. Yes it is a crime show and yes the main character is a sheriff but it is nothing like the stuff you will find on CBS. The books were pretty good and I will say it’s more a story about Wyoming and it’s people that just happens to have a crime involved.

Comment by Dav – August 26, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Consider my interest piqued. Thank you for the description, Dav. I hope it’s better than The Glades, which I watch occasionally just for Matt Passmore.

Comment by DL – August 26, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, having said all that, we need to keep in mind I am speaking about the books. Who knows what horrible things the writers may do to it when they put it on TV. Since it’s A&E and not one of the networks I think it still has a shot at being good. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment by Dav – August 26, 2011 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So, Justified?

Comment by topoopon – August 26, 2011 05:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been looking so forward to this series since I first read about its conception. I was afraid it would get scrapped. I have been telling my husband, friends, and family to check it out and to read the books too. Craig Johnson’s books are very enjoyable and the characters become people you want to know more about with each read. If they film using some of the geographic area it takes place in, it will be a great change for TV. I don’t consider the books a “cop drama.” It is more like a modern day Western tying the present to the past. Give it a chance to gain an audience, advertise it, and read the books for sure!

Comment by Cynthia L. – December 19, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, bailey chase? I’ll give that a go. I miss saving grace.

Comment by Amanda – August 26, 2011 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not usually a fan of cop dramas, but I’ve been loving Justified, and this sounds like it may have some of that same flavor. I think I’ll give it a try.

Comment by wordsmith – August 26, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Cassidy Freeman back on my tv!

Comment by Rebeca – August 26, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool, this will be something to really look forward to.

Comment by Michael – August 26, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The books are terrific—if the show is half as good it’ll be a lot of fun to watch.

Comment by patrick foster – August 26, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katee Sackhoff! Count me in…and it’s about time she got a kickass role!

Comment by All Fooked Up – August 26, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The books were good. Not great, but good. Sackhoff, however, is PERFECT for the role of vic. I will probably check it out just to see her play that part.

Comment by Bev – August 26, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang. I was excited until I saw it was a western.

Comment by paige – August 26, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One word: Firefly!

Comment by mdaily – August 26, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just so you be know it going to western in modern setting. Much like Justified is a modern western noir. Having seen A&E other scripted programmings The Glades and Breakout King turn out to be unconventional concepts with typical crime procedural formats. It not that optimistic about Longmire becoming the diamond in the rough.

Comment by George – August 27, 2011 02:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is NOT a western. That was a very poor choice of words. It is a story set in the west (Wyoming) but it takes place in present day.

Comment by Jeff – August 27, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just to let most people know this important fact. Most women do not care about the plot/storyline on The Glades. We just want to see Matt Passmore I am sure men will feel the same way about KS

Comment by Ethel – August 27, 2011 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess this means Chase’s run as Ellen’s boyfriend is over on “Damages”. This sounds like a great cast. Katee is always good (BBCA has been running “Battlestar Galactica” from the beginning and you get to see where her career got up and running and Cassidy Freeman was the best thing about “Smallville” towards the end. (Anyone who disagrees should just check out the episode “Fortune” from the final season when she is decked out like Nancy Sinatra and sings a duet with Allesandro Juliani’s “Dr. Emil” who is dressed up as Elvis- it was the best scene in the final season.)

Comment by bhm1304 – August 27, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GO CASSIDY!!!

Comment by TJR – September 2, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, but the books are very good. Wish they would begin using some of the story lines from the books. Robert Taylor is excellent choice for Longmire. The Lou Diamond Phillips character in the books is very important to the stories. Hope his character gains more importance.

Comment by Joe Hooker – June 30, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post